Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tangled - 21/12/2010 11:09:39 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Good - 28/1/2011 9:49:20 PM   
danclay77

A decent film, but opting but for "Shrek" feel sadly, as opposed to the brilliant classical humour of last year's excellent "Princess & The Frog" or the delightful Pixar touches of adult nostalgia. The film is saved from the mediocre though by the hilarious comedy horse Maximus - give him a spin off now!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 30/1/2011 9:53:27 AM   
Simba

Best Disney in donkeys years. Beautiful, funny and wonderfully animated.

Post #: 3
Great fun - 31/1/2011 12:03:58 PM   
Bill Clay

Thoroughly enjoyed it but how did it cost $260 million to produce??

Also did anyone else think the voice of Mother Gothel sounded exactly like Marina Sirtis?

Post #: 4
Bloody brilliant - 3/2/2011 9:43:10 PM   
Mark Hedwig

Just watched this film...and all i can say is disney has gone back to brilliance!!!
Beautiful animation, fantastic story, funny as ow't, another disney classic.
I thought The frog princess was back to form but this.... wow! I hope they keep it up like this.

Post #: 5
RE: Bloody brilliant - 6/2/2011 9:44:03 PM   
Timon

An excellent Disney film which I reckon will be remembered as one of the classics.

Great stuff all round and the lantern scene was exceptionally done.

Plus Maximus the horse was genius.

4.5/5

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Mark Hedwig)
Post #: 6
RE: Bloody brilliant - 7/2/2011 8:36:42 AM   
simonmckergan1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

An excellent Disney film which I reckon will be remembered as one of the classics.

Great stuff all round and the lantern scene was exceptionally done.

Plus Maximus the horse was genius.

4.5/5

Totally agree.  Maximus stole the film for me.  I thought the songs were great too.  A totally charming film from start to finish.  4.5/5

As you can see, my young apprentice, your friends have failed. Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL battle station!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 7
Tangled - 7/2/2011 9:42:44 PM   
Dr Lenera

I should have known this would be a disappointment when Disney [well the studio called Disney which doesn't much resemble the Disney of yesteryear] in their infinite wisdom changed the title from Rapunzel to Tangled, but as a Disney fan I expect some kind of magic from each animated film. Tangled has little of that magic, it attempts to combine a typical fairytale plot ala Sleeping Beauty with a Shrek-kind of attitude but neither really works-the main story is only mildly involving and even dull at times [with a final act that is a little rushed and almost incoherent], while the humourous element doesn't really work because it's not especially funny. The heroine is inconsistently characterised and alternates between superwoman and old-style damsel in distress, while other characters are either wasted [i.e.Maximillian the horse] or start off interesting and then have little done with them [Madame Gotell the main villain], and some look like CG recreations of older Disney characters. Honestly, imagine Bolt as a horse? You get Maximillian. The CG is mostly fine, with lovely backgrounds and some gorgeous hair, and the much praised lantern scene is indeed beautiful [though I didn't bother seeing this in 3D as I didn't want to see it darker than it should be]. However Alan Menken's songs sound like bland rehashes of older songs and are really quite poor. Tangled does just about entertain if you forget about Disney's great legacy and seems to be pleasing kids judging from the showing I was at, but it just seems as if Disney are playing safe almost to the point of blandness with Tangled. The Princess And The Frog was alot better than this. 5/10

< Message edited by Dr Lenera -- 7/2/2011 9:44:48 PM >

Post #: 8
Fantastic, It's A Must See - 15/2/2011 9:50:34 AM   
joanna likes films

Tangled has bought back that Disney charm with beautiful colours, songs that may be forgettable yet charming, excellent and strong characters, a great villian and a wonderful story that would appeal to adults and children alike. It's been so long since I seen a Disney film that I really enjoyed, Princess And The Frog was good but I couldn't feel the magic. But with Tangled, it sparkles. A total must see.

Post #: 9
RE: Fantastic, It's A Must See - 19/2/2011 7:41:44 PM   
JIm R

Saw today, their best in years. Princess and the Frog edged towards return to form, but this placed back up with Pixar level (no surprise, given Lassester's back in the fold, no coincidence, the quality is back)

Funny, beautiful, emotional, excellent animation, great film.

Four stars.

(in reply to joanna likes films)
Post #: 10
- 23/2/2011 8:18:37 PM   
twoggs

Loved this film more than I thought I would being a cynical Disney kid of the 90s but it was fantastic. A lot of love for Maximus but also for Pascal the Chameleon [perfect silent companion] and Flynn himself who has gone straight in to my top Disney heroes.

Post #: 11
- 23/2/2011 8:18:59 PM   
twoggs

Loved this film more than I thought I would being a cynical Disney kid of the 90s but it was fantastic. A lot of love for Maximus but also for Pascal the Chameleon [perfect silent companion] and Flynn himself who has gone straight in to my top Disney heroes.

Post #: 12
Not Shrek 5... Though I understand the mistake... - 3/3/2011 12:12:53 PM   
neopol

Last night I went to see Shrek 5… No, I actually went to see a Disney digimation which was trying to cash in on the former franchise. But despite its look, this was Disney through and through. Lacking the wit of Pixar and the sharp zaniness of Dreamworks, this was part musical, part sweeping rom-com.

What has happened to this studio, when they lack the confidence to make their films, their way? If this had been hand drawn animation it would have been twice the film, but instead we’re treated to a mongrel 3D digimation with the story and style of Disney, Dreamworks and Pixar, but done without any of the flare of any of them.

The 3D was effective but the whole concept is now becoming very, very boring and I would have prefered to have seen it in 2D to be honest. It was never the less enjoyable, it made me laugh and some of the character development was quite effective, such a the horse, Maximus, who was as far removed from Shrek’s ‘Donkey’ as you could imagine, especially as he never utters a word!

I recon that kids and pure Disney fans will lap this up, though it is no Lion King, it’s certainly an entertaining animation.

Post #: 13
RE: Not Shrek 5... Though I understand the mistake... - 11/3/2011 9:46:45 PM   
goldleader

Watched this film tonight and as a Disney fan i really enjoyed it. Defiantly back to form and as others have said the Princess and the Frog was good but lacked some kind of magic well this has that magic and is a great film. I hope it was a success and pushes Disney to make more animated films like this. There is room in the market for this kind of animation i think, and i reckon that the comedy of Dreamworks and other computer animated films is starting get a little thin now and hope more films like this will be made.

(in reply to neopol)
Post #: 14
- 16/6/2011 10:06:36 PM   
TheGodfather

Watched today:

Tangled
Disney`s 50th animated film is a modern version of the old Rapunzel fairy tale. It`s beautiful animated and is filled with funny jokes.
Only the songs aren`t quite up to par with Disney classics like Aladdin and Beauty and the Beast.

8,0/10

Post #: 15
RE: - 16/7/2011 9:55:39 PM   
jcthefirst

Just watched it tonight on Bluray.

Firstly, absolutely fabulous looking. I was astounded by the visuals throughout .

Second, hilarious. With Maximus the horse being the standout.

Up there with the some of the best of Pixar's for me.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to TheGodfather)
Post #: 16
Classic - 22/8/2011 3:11:48 PM   
davepearce

It would be fair to say that some recent Disney efforts have been, if not imitations of Dreamworks/Pixar work, certainly crafted in a manner very much aware of the modern take that films like Shrek and Toy Story have played on the animation genre. And while there is certainly a dose of humour that will make grown ups laugh, it is always nice to see Disney being Disney, with its own music and free of pop culture references. Stunningly beautiful for every second of its 100 minute running time (a number that seems all too small by the credits), this is a Disney film through and through, from those unmistakable eyes to the use of bold colours so reminiscent of the House of Mouse. Indeed, this film could so easily work in drawn animation, yet the use of light that is displayed here is all thanks to digital tools, and when you retain your identity this well in CG, well, why would you ever go back?

Easily my favourite Disney film since the 90s.

Post #: 17
A return to form by disney... - 22/9/2011 7:34:08 PM   
trainedasninja

This feels like a classic disney film topped with state of the art dazzling visuals. Despite what you may think from looking at the plot alone, this is sharp, funny and incredibly entertaining, that has something to appeal to the whole family. A worthy film to be named diney's 50th, celebrating what has been and hopefully its future.

Post #: 18
Tangled - 30/6/2012 5:46:03 PM   
norgizfox

It's not the best princess movie, but Tangled can still be considered a Disney classic for it's striking beauty, surprising humor, and a modern, fun take on the fairy tale that we've come to love.

Post #: 19
Fantastic! - 12/3/2013 2:27:13 PM   
Turd Ferguson

Thoroughly enjoyable for the kids and adults alike. Very, very funny. One of the best animated Disney movies we've seen.

Post #: 20
"I didn't want to have to do this, but you leave m... - 2/12/2013 1:34:24 PM   
movienut707

One of the more beautifully animated and classic-feeling Disney films of the past few years, Tangled is a lively, exciting and occasionally touching fairy tale that most anyone can enjoy. A rare treat indeed... and it's got a great big heart to go along with it.

< Message edited by movienut707 -- 2/12/2013 1:54:32 PM >

Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Tangled Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI