Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Burlesque - 14/12/2010 1:29:33 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Not so hot Burlesque - 23/2/2012 11:13:36 PM   
lynnshep

Okay, not great. Christina was miscast. Cher and Tucci are underused.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Not so hot Burlesque - 23/2/2012 11:13:37 PM   
lynnshep

Okay, not great. Christina was miscast. Cher and Tucci are underused.

Post #: 3
RE: Burlesque - 16/6/2012 5:44:47 PM   
Phubbs

Burlesque (2010)

WOW this was predictable fluff, if your thinking along the lines of 'Moulin Rouge' and 'Chicago' your not far wrong, basically with the same plot from 'Showgirls' and errr well its basically 'Showgirls' but Burlesque.

Its not a bad film but its just very very average with very little on offer for catchy memorable tunes/songs, all the usual cliched characters and predictable events during the film and very little acting talent on show to boot. The appearance of the film is lovely with a real glitzy, razzle dazzle 'Cabaret' look and feel, the dancers are all superb and look stunning but Aguilera is poor as the lead. Looks the part but just can't act (much like Kidman in 'Moulin Rouge'). Cher is actually not a bad choice for the club owner as she looks the part of an aging dancer refusing to let herself grow old gracefully, suits her plastic looks perfectly. Gallagher looks and plays almost the same character/role as Maclachlan in 'Showgirls' whilst Tucci is the cliched gay close friend and assistant to Cher.

To be honest I was amazed Madonna and Lady Gaga weren't involved, would of fit in nicely. Main issue is lack of acting and dancing talent with the use of boring huge star names that take all charm and realism out of the whole idea....the very unoriginal dull idea.

Its a nice try but its too in your face and not believable, hard to nail down but it just doesn't work. Too many tried plot ideas and maybe the club was too extravagant and big? maybe it should of been more lowkey, a slightly more humble realistic approach?.

Of course its a broadway theatrical type homage or recreation so I can understand the grandioso production and approach. But as I said its a little too similar to other film/theatrical productions (a bit late in the day and jumping on the musical bandwagon perhaps?) and simply isn't as good.
I think a more sensible, down to earth look may have worked better as this is just too campy and cliched, a Fosse/Minnelli beater this certainly is not

Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Burlesque Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI