Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Tomb Raider

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Tomb Raider Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Tomb Raider - 12/3/2013 8:20:24 AM   
From_Hell

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chojin

quote:

ORIGINAL: From_Hell

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chojin

Did it in two sittings today. Not only my fav. Tomb Raider game but also one of my all time favorites.

Shame about the conversation achievement, means another full playthrough - ah well

In the end i'm glad I put the money down as it's an excellent game and i've been looking forward to it for years since it was announced at E3. Well worth the wait and it amazed me with how much action and bang for your buck is squeezed into the game. Just one of the set pieces from this game make the Gears of War games a complete bore fest.

As Lara says 'Just Keep Moving'

Two sittings doesn't sound very much... So is the main campaign quite short?

I bought it at 11AM, some friends came over at around 4PM for 3 hours.....then I went back on and finished it by 11:30PM. So i'd say about 9 hours in total to complete. But I absolutely devoured it in that time. It would probably take a normal person three good sessions, or a weekend.

:p

Sounds good mate. I think I'll take a look at this when I get paid...

"What are you gonna do?"

"What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 61
RE: Tomb Raider - 12/3/2013 1:30:51 PM   
Gizmo 76

Got around to playing this over the weekend and finished off the Campaign last night (only 72% though)... Loved it!

I can see people being disappointed with the lack of tombs and puzzles, and what there is are pretty much one room tombs. So no 20 cogs to align throughout 3 rooms, before pulling the lever to reveal just the next stage of a puzzle. But a couple of the small tombs I ventured into through the campaign had some neat puzzles in. I'll be going back to do the rest of the tombs, not sure I'll collect everything though.

Everyone is saying it, and it's hard to deny the influences of Uncharted in the 'OMS' scenes; but they've done a damn fine job... maybe you feel a little less connected control wise at times compared to Uncharted and that might also top Tomb Raider animation wise, but these scenes are still absolutely awesome fun and so well put together.

The combat though totally tops Uncharted and many others, so much fun picking people off and attacking a battle in different ways, it gives you a real sense of freedom in your approach. I played on Hard, and there was one occasion where it took a few attempts to clear an area, they're very good with their rifles and molotovs from a distance. But you develop tactics and certain weapons work best for certain foes... Bow, Pistol and Headshots FTW. Combat actually gets easier as you go on, due to your upgrades. So by the end it really does become a bit of a playground of killing fun.

I could of done without the left thumbstick waggling in the QTEs, struggled with just my thumb so had to switch to holding the controller differently so I could use my right hand palm/fingers track and field style. There isn't too many of these thankfully.

Graphically this is up there with the best of this generation, some real moments of awe. Couple of times you feel the frames drop, but nothing to ruin the game. The soundtrack and audio totally matches the rest of the production levels as well.

So yep, a few bigger tombs would of be nice throughout the story, but otherwise I can't really saying anything else bad about this game. Top quality stuff and most fun I've had on a game for a while. Bring on a sequel... on the next gen.

Giz Presents . . .

My Website of Work

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 62
RE: Tomb Raider - 12/3/2013 2:40:42 PM   
paulyboy

Finally got round to finishing this...

Before I get moaned at let me just say it's a great game, very enjoyable, narritively strong and highly polished in all regards. The combat is excellent and the visuals are probably as good as you'll ever see on these consoles. It's a great action game.

However, by the time it finishes it resembles Tomb Raider in name only. If I'm brutally honest even the "Tombs" you get to raid occasionally feel like token gestures at best, they're simply too few, too small and too simple to make any kind of impact. They're fun, and a nice diversion after your 97th gun fight, but there's not a single one that can't be cracked/looted inside of 3-4 minutes. The larger hub areas are a bit more fun to explore, but unless you're a collectible junky there's little incentive to look around beyond upgrading your weapons with salvage or achievement hunting.

It's a shame because if you transplated the combat mechanics and visuals from this game into any one of Crystal Dynamics last three efforts you'd pretty much have the perfect Tomb Raider game in my opinion.

Even judged as an action title in it's own right there's an over reliance on scripted sequences. I had the same problem with Uncharted 3, it all looks very spectacular and cinematic, but there's no disguising the fact that during a lot of the big money shot set-pieces you're not really controlling things a great deal. Nudge the thumb stick in the right direction occasionally, press Y when prompted, jump when the floor crumbles beneath you, rinse and repeat.

It's also quite short, if you're the type of person who just guns straight for the objectives and ignores collectibles I reckon you could polish this off in a frighteningly quick time.

So yeah, it dissapointed me a little. Great action game, just not a very good Tomb Raider game. I've got no problem with the combat, it just needs way more exploration and puzzle solving to balance it out.

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to Gizmo 76)
Post #: 63
RE: Tomb Raider - 12/3/2013 3:36:07 PM   
Gizmo 76

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulyboy

Finally got round to finishing this...

Before I get moaned at let me just say it's a great game, very enjoyable, narritively strong and highly polished in all regards. The combat is excellent and the visuals are probably as good as you'll ever see on these consoles. It's a great action game.

However, by the time it finishes it resembles Tomb Raider in name only. If I'm brutally honest even the "Tombs" you get to raid occasionally feel like token gestures at best, they're simply too few, too small and too simple to make any kind of impact. They're fun, and a nice diversion after your 97th gun fight, but there's not a single one that can't be cracked/looted inside of 3-4 minutes. The larger hub areas are a bit more fun to explore, but unless you're a collectible junky there's little incentive to look around beyond upgrading your weapons with salvage or achievement hunting.

It's a shame because if you transplated the combat mechanics and visuals from this game into any one of Crystal Dynamics last three efforts you'd pretty much have the perfect Tomb Raider game in my opinion.

Even judged as an action title in it's own right there's an over reliance on scripted sequences. I had the same problem with Uncharted 3, it all looks very spectacular and cinematic, but there's no disguising the fact that during a lot of the big money shot set-pieces you're not really controlling things a great deal. Nudge the thumb stick in the right direction occasionally, press Y when prompted, jump when the floor crumbles beneath you, rinse and repeat.

It's also quite short, if you're the type of person who just guns straight for the objectives and ignores collectibles I reckon you could polish this off in a frighteningly quick time.

So yeah, it dissapointed me a little. Great action game, just not a very good Tomb Raider game. I've got no problem with the combat, it just needs way more exploration and puzzle solving to balance it out.

I actually thought the pacing of the game was spot on, with enough actual gameplay before the next big event scene... I do find myself getting bored with long games and quite often find them sitting on the shelf after the initial enthusiasm has worn off. So length wise I was happy with the campaign.

I think the scripted sequences would be hard to play out any other way really, to keep to this level of cinematics that is, but I do get enjoyment from my inputs even if I'm not really in control. The more spectacular gameplay sections where the world is collapsing around you, a few of these had numerous routes I think depending on your jumps etc.. But everything happens so fast, and so much going on around you.

Totally see your point in relation to the tombs and puzzles, and do agree this would of really pushed it into the perfect reboot territory. As the game went on they did start bringing in a few more puzzle led sections, so hopefully the devs get to do the sequel and they see the feedback around, as this has been the main negative point raised everywhere in relation to the core of the game.

I do lap up the Uncharted games, 2 is still probably one of my fav games of this gen; so I guess this was always going to be right up my street with it's direction. Just was so refreshing to have a decent combat system and less of the running around firing like a headless chicken of the Uncharted gunplay.

Giz Presents . . .

My Website of Work

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 64
RE: Tomb Raider - 12/3/2013 4:12:25 PM   
paulyboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gizmo 76

I think the scripted sequences would be hard to play out any other way really, to keep to this level of cinematics that is..

I actually agree. Simple fact is, a control sheme to allow you genuine input in such scenarios is simply impossible really, owing mainly to the highly styilised and choreographed nature of the sequence. I suppose you could argue that years ago those segments would simply have been bog-standard cut-scenes, so you're arguably adding to the experience by allowing some control of them now.

That said I still find them quite obstrusive at times, part of me would probably prefer a pre-rendered cut-scene and more effort put into bolstering the genuine gameplay with another Tomb or something. For all of the whizz-bang on display, I'm not enjoying those segments anywhere near as much as the main gameplay.

(in reply to Gizmo 76)
Post #: 65
RE: Tomb Raider - 12/3/2013 4:31:29 PM   
Gizmo 76

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulyboy

I actually agree. Simple fact is, a control sheme to allow you genuine input in such scenarios is simply impossible really, owing mainly to the highly styilised and choreographed nature of the sequence. I suppose you could argue that years ago those segments would simply have been bog-standard cut-scenes, so you're arguably adding to the experience by allowing some control of them now.

That said I still find them quite obstrusive at times, part of me would probably prefer a pre-rendered cut-scene and more effort put into bolstering the genuine gameplay with another Tomb or something. For all of the whizz-bang on display, I'm not enjoying those segments anywhere near as much as the main gameplay.

I guess something along the lines of Heavy Rain could be the next step, with more choice in the scenes... but they'd still feel heavily scripted, you'd just have that extra layer of choice and decisions to make during them. So if you don't feel they work or involve you now, I doubt even this development of them would really change that. As a story tool I actually find they do keep me hooked in more than a long cut scene, but this can fall apart if it's a QTE scene that you constantly fail and replay

It'd be fun to be on abroad the development of a game discussing, building and working though all this stuff ...If you have an iPad the latest Final Hours digital magazine is an interesting read into the development of the game.

Giz Presents . . .

My Website of Work

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 66
RE: Tomb Raider - 12/3/2013 8:23:19 PM   
Chojin

The multiplayer level grinding is very easy but time consuming....only done about 5 hours of the 40-60 hour stint. I'm trying to get as much private boosting done as possible before it's patched!

At level 37 so far, but I need to have three prestiges. Balls.

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to Gizmo 76)
Post #: 67
RE: Tomb Raider - 13/3/2013 4:25:04 PM   
jcthefirst

Really enjoying this at the minute. I think I'm quite close to the end now though, so yeah, quite short.

Anyone catch (what I'm assuming was) a reference to The Descent?

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 68
RE: Tomb Raider - 13/3/2013 4:48:40 PM   
Gizmo 76

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

Really enjoying this at the minute. I think I'm quite close to the end now though, so yeah, quite short.

Anyone catch (what I'm assuming was) a reference to The Descent?

I actually thought I was coming to the end a couple of times before it actually was, so you might have a few sections yet.

Also maybe Apocalypse Now... Was a cool nod to whatever scene

Giz Presents . . .

My Website of Work

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 69
RE: Tomb Raider - 13/3/2013 8:15:43 PM   
James2183

Went to pick this up in Game this afternoon. 40! Fuck off. The second hand version is still more expensive than it is online.

Will get it through Amazon.

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to Gizmo 76)
Post #: 70
RE: Tomb Raider Begins - 13/3/2013 9:49:56 PM   
Chojin

I got mine at my local Tesco for 32 :)

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to thepluginbaby)
Post #: 71
RE: Tomb Raider - 13/3/2013 9:50:17 PM   
Gizmo 76

quote:

ORIGINAL: James2183

Went to pick this up in Game this afternoon. 40! Fuck off. The second hand version is still more expensive than it is online.

Was still 32 in my local Tesco on Monday I think.

Giz Presents . . .

My Website of Work

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 72
RE: Tomb Raider - 14/3/2013 8:19:09 AM   
From_Hell

quote:

It's 30 at Play.com...

"What are you gonna do?"

"What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 73
RE: Tomb Raider - 14/3/2013 11:43:05 AM   
sroey

Love this game so far - its just so bloody good. Its not much of a challenge but its well done and the combat is extremely satisfying!!

I'm not sure how much further I have left but I have just got the extra strong rope pull mechanism so people who have played it will know where I am up to...

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 74
RE: Tomb Raider - 16/3/2013 10:03:34 AM   
Base

Gah, was determined to wait until this dropped in price, especially after forking out full price for Metal Gear Rising (which is one I really should have left until it dropped!). Sounds like it's worth it from the comments here, just hope it's not as frustrating as MGR!!!

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 75
RE: Tomb Raider - 16/3/2013 12:45:42 PM   
Base

Has to be one of the most stunning games I've ever played!!!

When do Jack & Sawyer appear tho?

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 76
RE: Tomb Raider - 18/3/2013 1:12:07 PM   
Timon

Just sold my copy of Far Cry 3 after completing it, so hopefully I'll get this shortly.

How do the two compare in terms of 'island warfare'? Is Tomb Raider open world or, like Uncharted, quite linear?

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 77
RE: Tomb Raider - 18/3/2013 1:55:39 PM   
paulyboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Is Tomb Raider open world or, like Uncharted, quite linear?

Somewhere between the two, with it leaning towards the linear end of the scale.

The campaign takes you through several larger hub type areas as you progress which are relatively free to explore or even go back to at any time, but by and large the campaign is quite linear in nature, ushering you down a chosen path when away from the aforementioned hub areas.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 78
RE: Tomb Raider - 18/3/2013 2:39:44 PM   
sroey

Finished this at the weekend.

Bloody excellent. I wanted to carry on exploring/fighting/traversing set-pieces.

Bring on TR2

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 79
RE: Tomb Raider - 18/3/2013 10:18:58 PM   
James2183

Started this yesterday and quite enjoying it. My only quibble so far is that she keeps feeling cold and hugging herself close to camp fire. Why doesn't she just take one of the coats from the many bad guys she kills?

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 80
RE: Tomb Raider - 19/3/2013 12:32:24 PM   
jcthefirst

Little anti climactic ending but solid throughout the whole 10 hours.

4 stars.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 81
RE: Tomb Raider - 19/3/2013 6:34:32 PM   
Vadersville

Picked this up last night and loving it so far. Its still very much Tomb Raider by way of Uncharted with a dash of Arkham Asylum but is enough of its own beast to avoid feeling like a lesser imposter of the two. I was a bit disappointed that there was even a multiplayer since I was hoping for just a longer, more detailed single player experience, but disappointed more when I discovered that if I wanted many different character skills, or costumes (the kinda stuff that used to be unlocked through gameplay) I have to fork out for it! I know downloadable costumes have become a norm now but having to play for upgrades to the single player just seems like daylight robbery to me!

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 82
RE: Tomb Raider - 19/3/2013 8:11:51 PM   
Base

And here I was all ready to argue that it's not Uncharted, which would be a superb series of games if not for the never ending pointless space invaders style combat, and then I got to the shanty town, such a shame

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 83
RE: Tomb Raider - 20/3/2013 7:28:30 AM   
James2183

Enjoying the game so far, but the amount of punishment Lara is taking is getting a little silly and at times taking me out of the game.

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 84
RE: Tomb Raider - 21/3/2013 11:52:45 AM   
Vadersville

quote:

Enjoying the game so far, but the amount of punishment Lara is taking is getting a little silly and at times taking me out of the game.

You don't like that she doesn't put on a warm jacket from one of the men that she killed and her getting hurt is taking you out of the game...? Have you played games before? You might as easily be put off by the magic that seems to occur when she switches between shotgun/rifle and bow and arrow. I did think it was silly that she got caught in a bear trap and then after a quick rest was running around like nothing happened. But I liked that the injury to her torso from when she was impaled near the start of the game continued to cause her grief throughout the game, eventually driving her to go all Rambo 3.

Just finished story mode this morning. Solid game with a slightly anti-climatic ending (though the birth of her dual wield-pistols was cool), roll on TR2.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 85
RE: Tomb Raider - 21/3/2013 5:50:31 PM   
Base

Got to the burning building bullshit and it's just turning into the worst of Uncharted's awful combat scenes. I know it's only a game and they all do it but it does seriously piss me off that I can take one bullet and pretty much explode whereas the trash can take 10 megaton nukes to the face and laugh it off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post #: 86
RE: Tomb Raider - 21/3/2013 7:31:38 PM   
Vadersville

Every video game thread I've seen you post has been you moaning about how infuriating hard the game is. Grow a pair and man up! Also, what's with the hate for Uncharted? They're amazing games, arguably the only PS3 exclusive games worth mentioning. Have to say i'm not keen on the multiplayer, I just don't get it and it seems utterly pointless. Why did Tomb Raider even need a multiplayer? Just realised I used hard and grow a pair in the same post *snigger*

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 87
RE: Tomb Raider - 22/3/2013 11:57:26 PM   
Base

Fair point, I do wonder why I play them sometimes

I do really like the Uncharted games, but I actually really like the interactive movie-ness of them and find the hideous waves of near bullet-proof bad guys to fight takes away from it (ok, ok, there I go again!), I'd rather more of the puzzles and exploring!!! Same in TR.

Come to think of it, the only game I can think of that didn't piss me off was Portal 2, almost all puzzling!!! When's the next one out???

Post #: 88
RE: Tomb Raider - 23/3/2013 7:20:12 PM   
James2183

Completed it today. 7.5/10

But another game that resorts to QTE final bosses and a practically non existent conclusion. Two short clips and then straight to titles.

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 89
RE: Tomb Raider - 23/3/2013 7:35:04 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

Every video game thread I've seen you post has been you moaning about how infuriating hard the game is. Grow a pair and man up! Also, what's with the hate for Uncharted? They're amazing games, arguably the only PS3 exclusive games worth mentioning. Have to say i'm not keen on the multiplayer, I just don't get it and it seems utterly pointless. Why did Tomb Raider even need a multiplayer? Just realised I used hard and grow a pair in the same post *snigger*

Not games, interactive movies.
E-grade Indiana Jones rip-off stories.
Smug prat of a main character.
Linear levels filled with scripted action scenes.
Combat ripped off from other games.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Tomb Raider Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI