Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Tomb Raider Begins

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Tomb Raider Begins Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Tomb Raider Begins - 26/2/2013 10:42:24 AM   
paulyboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Looks like it is as fear the game has been turned into an action-oriented, QTE and scripted-event written piece of crap like Uncharted.

The Uncharted games are a long way from being shite, but overall I share your cynicism regarding the effect they seemed to have had on numerous games lately.

The reviews for Tomb Raider were a little more reassuring than I was expecting, but not much. It still appears that there are tombs to raid and exploration to be done, although if I'm reading serveral of the reviews right it would appear most of that is there in a purely optional form.

I'll give it a go still, it's only £32 at ShopTo, has to be worth a punt.

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 31
RE: Tomb Raider Begins - 26/2/2013 2:31:07 PM   
indysgill

I got mine for £29.99 and apparently it was shipped today, so I might have it for the weekend!!

It's not the years honey, Its the mileage.

Are you kidding? You get to go home and say "I punched Indiana Jones today". - Gary Oldman.

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 32
RE: Tomb Raider Begins - 1/3/2013 11:26:42 AM   
indysgill

Arrived today

Are you kidding? You get to go home and say "I punched Indiana Jones today". - Gary Oldman.

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 33
RE: Tomb Raider Begins - 1/3/2013 11:43:45 AM   
paulyboy

That was quick!

Can I ask where you ordered from?

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 34
RE: Tomb Raider Begins - 1/3/2013 12:35:11 PM   
indysgill

http://2game.com/

I was a bit hesitant at first, due to never having heard of them before, but I gave it a go and am glad I did.

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 35
RE: Tomb Raider Begins - 1/3/2013 2:50:13 PM   
sroey

Laughing - thats superb service.

Just checked my Shopto account - my copy has been dispatched! Woot!!

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 36
RE: Tomb Raider Begins - 1/3/2013 3:41:10 PM   
paulyboy

Mine too!

I have no idea why I've bought this, I have Dead Space 3. Crysis 3, FarCry 3 all unfinished, I should really try and polish off games before buying more.

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 37
RE: Tomb Raider Begins - 2/3/2013 10:43:14 AM   
glaive

Conan plays Tomb Raider.

http://teamcoco.com/video/clueless-gamer-conan-obrien-reviews-tomb-raider

< Message edited by glaive -- 2/3/2013 10:44:40 AM >

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 38
RE: Tomb Raider - 4/3/2013 10:40:21 AM   
paulyboy

Played this for about 90 minutes last night and I'm quietly suprised by what I've seen so far.

It was always going to be a solid game regardless, my main gripe was whether it was going to be a Tomb Raider game or not, the results are interesting.

The opening 30 minutes or so amount to not much more than an interactive opening cut-scene with scripted events and several QTE's, so far, so Uncharted.

But then it kind of opens out in to more of a sandbox style structure, with a world map (of what you have discovered so far) and the freedom to seemingly arse about in the environments as much as you want until you decide to tackle the next objective. It's a long way from what I'd call open world and still largely linear in nature (the map hubs aren't huge) but there's enough nooks and crannies here and there to keep you occupied hunting for salvage, treasure, collectibles or animals/food.

Combat is a huge step up from previous Tomb Raider games, expected given the re-design, but I'm reasonably happy to report that so far at least, it's not the prominent feature of the game. I like the way she skulks around as soon as an enemy is near as well, none of the annoying sticking cover tomfoolery that other games of this ilk often have.

It looks blooming lovely also.

So yeah, better than I expected to be honest, it's still quite a departure, but all is not lost, yet.

(in reply to glaive)
Post #: 39
RE: Tomb Raider - 4/3/2013 11:14:10 AM   
Gizmo 76

Probably not going to get a chance to put some time into until near the weekend, but I'm looking forward to this.

Giz Presents . . .

My Website of Work

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 40
RE: Tomb Raider - 4/3/2013 11:59:53 AM   
indysgill

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulyboy

Played this for about 90 minutes last night and I'm quietly suprised by what I've seen so far.

It was always going to be a solid game regardless, my main gripe was whether it was going to be a Tomb Raider game or not, the results are interesting.

The opening 30 minutes or so amount to not much more than an interactive opening cut-scene with scripted events and several QTE's, so far, so Uncharted.

But then it kind of opens out in to more of a sandbox style structure, with a world map (of what you have discovered so far) and the freedom to seemingly arse about in the environments as much as you want until you decide to tackle the next objective. It's a long way from what I'd call open world and still largely linear in nature (the map hubs aren't huge) but there's enough nooks and crannies here and there to keep you occupied hunting for salvage, treasure, collectibles or animals/food.

Combat is a huge step up from previous Tomb Raider games, expected given the re-design, but I'm reasonably happy to report that so far at least, it's not the prominent feature of the game. I like the way she skulks around as soon as an enemy is near as well, none of the annoying sticking cover tomfoolery that other games of this ilk often have.

It looks blooming lovely also.

So yeah, better than I expected to be honest, it's still quite a departure, but all is not lost, yet.

That is basically my opnion of it. Found a tomb to raid and it wasn't even that big, hoping that improves later. The death scenes for Lara are quite gruesome.

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 41
RE: Tomb Raider - 4/3/2013 1:58:49 PM   
Hobbitonlass

I'll be giving this a go at the weekend. Really looking forward to it as Tomb Raider is how I spent all my time on the PS1

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 42
RE: Tomb Raider - 6/3/2013 11:33:14 AM   
paulyboy

Played more of this yesterday.

I'm about 50% complete and the game has definitely taken a more action orientated turn for the last hour or so. It's slick and fun, but it's not really Tomb Raider.

The larger hub areas and the occasional tomb are still lots of fun to explore, I just wish there was more of them. It's a shame, because it hints at what an open world Tomb Raider game could be like on occasion, something quite special should they ever decide to go for it.

So yeah, great game, just not really the game I wanted necessarily.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 43
RE: Tomb Raider - 6/3/2013 9:46:48 PM   
Chojin

I want this game so bad. Anyone fancy buying it for me, lending it to me so I can rape it for a couple of weeks and get the 1k and then I can kindly return it? This game is going to be the death of my 6 month old rule.

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 44
RE: Tomb Raider - 6/3/2013 10:59:01 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chojin

I want this game so bad. Anyone fancy buying it for me, lending it to me so I can rape it for a couple of weeks and get the 1k and then I can kindly return it? This game is going to be the death of my 6 month old rule.

Pervert.

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 45
RE: Tomb Raider - 7/3/2013 12:03:37 PM   
jcthefirst

Only played for about two hours so far, but they sure do like putting Lara through the wringer, don't they?

Up to the radio tower part which was buttock clenchingly high up.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 46
RE: Tomb Raider - 7/3/2013 7:26:28 PM   
indysgill

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

Only played for about two hours so far, but they sure do like putting Lara through the wringer, don't they?

Up to the radio tower part which was buttock clenchingly high up.

I got caught by the very first enemy quite a few times, that was grisly.

Quite a few times I kept thinking ok, we are at the top of the tower now right? but she kept going up and up.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 47
RE: Tomb Raider - 7/3/2013 8:37:00 PM   
StylishBox

I'm looking forward to grabbing a copy when I get a chance. I didn't think it was going to turn out that good but most of what I've heard so far has been positive. I was never a big Tomb Raider fan before.

"more

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 48
RE: Tomb Raider - 8/3/2013 9:39:54 PM   
indysgill

Finished it today, enjoyed it a lot, can say more without possible spoilers, I am hoping there is another one. It would look amazing on the next gen consoles.

(in reply to StylishBox)
Post #: 49
RE: Tomb Raider - 9/3/2013 11:34:23 AM   
losthighway

I've got the XBox Survival Edition awaiting collection. I've not played TR since TR2 I think so I have not real expectations other than the trailer for this looked fucking amazing so i'm hoping the gameplay is as good. And as for Uncharted I don't even know what it is having never played it so any glaring comparisons should totally pass me by.

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 50
RE: Tomb Raider - 9/3/2013 2:11:33 PM   
Sotto Voce

I'm enjoying it a lot. Its largely Uncharted X Arkham, even the survival instinct thing is the same as Arkham's detective mode, but still a pretty solid action adventure game in its own right. I do agree it doesn't really feel like Tomb Raider. There's a lot of ww2 architecture and some weird cult, rather than the ruins of an actual ancient civilisation.

Anyone else finding the bow and arrow somehow more effective than the guns?

< Message edited by Sotto Voce -- 9/3/2013 2:13:45 PM >

All things digested have a similar hue.

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 51
RE: Tomb Raider - 9/3/2013 11:50:27 PM   
Chojin

Did it in two sittings today. Not only my fav. Tomb Raider game but also one of my all time favorites.

Shame about the conversation achievement, means another full playthrough - ah well

In the end i'm glad I put the money down as it's an excellent game and i've been looking forward to it for years since it was announced at E3. Well worth the wait and it amazed me with how much action and bang for your buck is squeezed into the game. Just one of the set pieces from this game make the Gears of War games a complete bore fest.

As Lara says 'Just Keep Moving'

< Message edited by Chojin -- 9/3/2013 11:52:58 PM >

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 52
RE: Tomb Raider - 10/3/2013 3:38:27 PM   
JAYDAK1SS

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

John McClane would blush at how much she goes through

I just finished this, without any spoilers I can say this is one of the best I have played in a long time, does for tomb raider what dark knight did for batman, especially with the tone..

My main gripe with dead space 3 was it got a little repetitive towards the end, where this game just gets better and better as you play, between the abilities you unlock and the set pieces in the game I couldn't wait to see what happened next.

Yeah it doesn't feel like the normal tomb raider, but as a first in a new series it does alot of things right, with some great puzzles when it does present them, and finally a tomb raider game with a great combat system.

I can't wait to see what they do next with the franchise, my main hope that there is a little more focus on being stuck in a tomb, and that they bring back the bow, weapon of the year so far.....

Black Jesus!!!:

I rode into town on an ass

Yo mommas ass

Black Jesus!!!!!

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 53
RE: Tomb Raider - 10/3/2013 6:16:36 PM   
Chojin

I got all the collectibles today and got all the 100% related stuff. Quite easy. I would have liked some time trial runs for some of the levels or an overall completion time to try and meet. I loved trying to get all of time trials done in the previous games where one mis-step means failure.

Tried a bit of the multiplayer as well. To be fair it's not as bad as the reviewers make out. It's not an abomination of The Darkness scale by any stretch. Some thought has actually gone into it and it's an enjoyable throwaway. My only gripe is just how stupidly overpowered the later upgrades get which mean you get destroyed when you're a lower level player. But this this is a small gripe as i'll soon be there anyway.

I'm going for a couple of painful prestiges first though, as i've read up on the multiplayer achievements and apparently you shouldn't purchase any upgrades or new guns until your third prestige! So i'm going to be a measly level one character for two runs of level 1-60....

Also got my second playthrough to look forward to :)

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to JAYDAK1SS)
Post #: 54
RE: Tomb Raider - 10/3/2013 9:02:04 PM   
indysgill

quote:

i've read up on the multiplayer achievements and apparently you shouldn't purchase any upgrades or new guns until your third prestige! So i'm going to be a measly level one character for two runs of level 1-60....

Screw that, I will stick with the single player side of the game, still have a few trophies to get there too, conversation one included.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 55
RE: Tomb Raider - 11/3/2013 7:34:26 AM   
Chojin

quote:

ORIGINAL: indysgill

quote:

i've read up on the multiplayer achievements and apparently you shouldn't purchase any upgrades or new guns until your third prestige! So i'm going to be a measly level one character for two runs of level 1-60....

Screw that, I will stick with the single player side of the game, still have a few trophies to get there too, conversation one included.

However it takes an estimated 30 hours of solo private boosting to get to your third prestige :) 40-60 hours to do everything i'm informed and that's if you really take your time and have some fun. Compared with Gears 3 taking me anywhere between 1,000-1,500 hours this is nothing. I'm looking to get this done asap as well before it's patched and the Private XP is halved or something equally horrible to people looking to get all of the achievements/trophies. Don't get me wrong, it's not terrible but I wouldn't want to play 100's of hours of it.

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 56
RE: Tomb Raider - 11/3/2013 8:14:41 AM   
From_Hell

quote:

Did it in two sittings today. Not only my fav. Tomb Raider game but also one of my all time favorites.

Shame about the conversation achievement, means another full playthrough - ah well

In the end i'm glad I put the money down as it's an excellent game and i've been looking forward to it for years since it was announced at E3. Well worth the wait and it amazed me with how much action and bang for your buck is squeezed into the game. Just one of the set pieces from this game make the Gears of War games a complete bore fest.

Two sittings doesn't sound very much... So is the main campaign quite short?

"What are you gonna do?"

"What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 57
RE: Tomb Raider - 11/3/2013 9:01:15 AM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sotto Voce

Anyone else finding the bow and arrow somehow more effective than the guns?

Yep! Really enjoying it so far, although the old vertigo is kicking in quite a bit for me

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 58
RE: Tomb Raider - 11/3/2013 11:23:49 AM   
sroey

Couldnt agree more - its very enjoyable and the set-pieces come thick and fast as you progress. Combat is excellent. I was hoping for more from the optional tombs which are a doddle so far.

*** Possible Spoilers!! ***

I'm currently fighting my way out of the palace.

Its not a complaint as such but the game isn't very challenging so far...that said its such a slick, fun and brutal play experience that I can overlook that.

Looking forward to getting 100% on all the areas...

And yes the Bow is the weapon of the year!

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 59
RE: Tomb Raider - 11/3/2013 5:37:15 PM   
Chojin

quote:

ORIGINAL: From_Hell

quote:

Two sittings doesn't sound very much... So is the main campaign quite short?

I bought it at 11AM, some friends came over at around 4PM for 3 hours.....then I went back on and finished it by 11:30PM. So i'd say about 9 hours in total to complete. But I absolutely devoured it in that time. It would probably take a normal person three good sessions, or a weekend.

:p

XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Tomb Raider Begins Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI