Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Tomb Raider Begins

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> Tomb Raider Begins Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tomb Raider Begins - 9/12/2010 4:29:51 PM   
thepluginbaby

So Crystal Dynamics are rebooting Tomb Raider, with a new game in production featuring a 21 year old Lara being shipwrecked upon a strange island. I'll assume there will be a tomb there... The game is said to be more violent with devious traps and an emphasis on survivalism as in collecting food and water. It is also going to be a origins story regarding Lara Croft and will seek to reboot the series completely...

Here are some more details:

http://epicbattleaxe.com/fresh-tomb-raider-deets-emerge/

Any Tomb Raider fans around? I loved the original games on the PSone, but when the movie came out in 2001 the franchise started to go a bit stale, with the demise of Core Design thanks to Angel of Darkness. Though I liked the last couple of games from Crystal Dynamics, it is clear that Tomb Raider is not as renowned a title anymore what with Prince of Persia and Uncharted. Though I'm curious to see what they do with Lara.

"I have come to the conclusion that my gut, has shit for brains."

"Must go faster..."

My personal blog, ToBePhair, full of frantic movie/music/video game scribblings: http://tobephair.blogspot.com/

Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ToBePhair
Post #: 1
RE: Tomb Raider Begins - 9/12/2010 4:42:19 PM   
talpacino

I was a massive fan of the first couple of games, 3 was enjoyable enough and I think I even enjoyed 4 and 5 when I played them on the PC. Angel of Darkness was indeed awful and the remake was fun for a bit of nostalgia but I got tired of it quickly, same with the other one, Underworld? Fun for a while but I just think the whole idea became very stale and maybe other similar games had done it better since.

Still, like I said, massive fan of the originals so always have a place in my gaming heart for them and will wait to see what they do with this, though didn't they already do a few sections with a young Lara in one of the older games? I remember her being very annoying.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to thepluginbaby)
Post #: 2
RE: Tomb Raider Begins - 9/12/2010 4:48:49 PM   
From_Hell

I'm looking forward to this. The single image I've seen suggests there might be a more 'gritty' theme:

I think I read on the OXM website that it's going to have a Zelda/Metroid/Batman AA feel to it, where you acquire new skills as you progress, and the new skills grant you access to new areas.

"What are you gonna do?"

"What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 3
RE: Tomb Raider Begins - 9/12/2010 5:58:27 PM   
Chojin

Big fan of the 360 games - looking forward to this one. Nothing we can really comment on as yet though with just the one teaser image

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 4
RE: Tomb Raider Begins - 9/12/2010 10:51:39 PM   
the anomaly

Found Underworld ... underwhelming ... Lara's been through a few re-boots ...

I'm hoping this one is worth my time.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 5
RE: Tomb Raider Begins - 12/1/2011 8:26:48 PM   
From_Hell

Some new screenshots are on the OXM website.

Looks pretty....

http://www.oxm.co.uk/article.php?id=25027

"What are you gonna do?"

"What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 6
RE: Tomb Raider Begins - 12/1/2011 8:39:31 PM   
thepluginbaby

Looks as if Lara's finally getting a breast reduction. All the easier to raid tombs with methinks.

"Must go faster..."

My personal blog, ToBePhair, full of frantic movie/music/video game scribblings: http://tobephair.blogspot.com/

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 7
RE: Tomb Raider Begins - 12/1/2011 8:41:56 PM   
directorscut

You say "pretty" I say "a brown and grey overdose of poo."

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 8
RE: Tomb Raider Begins - 14/1/2011 3:08:06 PM   
Sleazy

I have struggled to get into TR games, even at the height of their popularity.

Then Legend was released and I loved it, i was really looking forward to Anniversary but quickly found myself at a dead end with it just like back in the day. Underworld seemed ok, I enjoyed the demo, got the game but never really put much time into it. Its still on my shelf, I may go back to it someday.

Thought that isometric thingy was canny though, downloaded it in the sale.

Gamertag: Sleazycome

PSN ID: Sleazytoon

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 9
RE: Tomb Raider Begins - 3/6/2011 9:33:58 PM   
From_Hell

Shiny new trailer: http://www.oxm.co.uk/29196/news/tomb-raider-trailer-shows-lara-all-at-sea/

"What are you gonna do?"

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 10
RE: Tomb Raider Begins - 4/6/2011 6:11:37 PM   
Ref

Looks...interesting. Great graphics, but we know that it not going to be gameplay material. The TR graphics in sequence shots are normally good, however the game play graphics are always a let down in comparison.

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 11
RE: Tomb Raider Begins - 4/6/2011 10:20:42 PM   
indysgill

quote:

ORIGINAL: From_Hell

Shiny new trailer: http://www.oxm.co.uk/29196/news/tomb-raider-trailer-shows-lara-all-at-sea/

I know its all CG, but damn that's good.

It's not the years honey, Its the mileage.

Are you kidding? You get to go home and say "I punched Indiana Jones today". - Gary Oldman.

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 12
RE: Tomb Raider Begins - 4/6/2011 10:28:20 PM   
rich

It's all flashy CG and no game though. Lara has had her day, time for her to retire.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 13
RE: Tomb Raider Begins - 4/6/2011 11:11:26 PM   
thepluginbaby

Behind Colonial Marines this is one of the big titles I'm looking forward is. Early buzz has been positive...

"Must go faster..."

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 14
RE: Tomb Raider Begins - 8/6/2011 8:59:00 PM   
Ref

Game play footage - clicky.

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD

Post #: 15
RE: Tomb Raider Begins - 8/6/2011 9:07:54 PM   
kata

Loooks like it's taking inspiration from Uncharted.

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 16
RE: Tomb Raider Begins - 8/6/2011 11:44:43 PM   
thepluginbaby

Looks a lot grittier than uncharted. Its going to be a long wait until winter 2012 as well...

"Must go faster..."

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 17
RE: Tomb Raider Begins - 25/10/2011 11:46:01 AM   
Timon

So this isn't out for a year? I thought it was another winter 2011 release.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

Post #: 18
RE: Tomb Raider Begins - 3/2/2012 4:20:42 PM   
Sotto Voce

I'm really hoping this will turn out well. The last few TRs were fairly good, but they've probably realised they'd been out tomb-raided, and I think this reinvention is wise. Even if it turns out to be a bit like 'Uncharted with a Girl', that can't be all bad. The more believable slant is good.

All things digested have a similar hue.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 19
RE: Tomb Raider Begins - 3/2/2012 11:12:30 PM   
Drone

The last couple of tomb Raiders were getting the franchise back on track for me... more adventuring / exploring and less OMGBANGBANGTHISNEEDSMOREGUNZNBOSSESNCUTSCENES

All I want from a TR game is desolate, cavernous areas, puzzles, and beautiful stuff to look at. If it's all cutscenes and silly bollocks then I don't give a shit, fuck them and their entire franchise for pandering the dullard "cinematic exprience" generation. I want to play a game that'll last me a good few weeks, and makes me scratch my head. I don't want a quick blast through snazzy linear CGI's ville and the chance to "play an interactive movie."

< Message edited by Drone -- 3/2/2012 11:13:45 PM >

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 20
RE: Tomb Raider Begins - 3/2/2012 11:17:22 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Drone

The last couple of tomb Raiders were getting the franchise back on track for me... more adventuring / exploring and less OMGBANGBANGTHISNEEDSMOREGUNZNBOSSESNCUTSCENES

All I want from a TR game is desolate, cavernous areas, puzzles, and beautiful stuff to look at. If it's all cutscenes and silly bollocks then I don't give a shit, fuck them and their entire franchise for pandering the dullard "cinematic exprience" generation. I want to play a game that'll last me a good few weeks, and makes me scratch my head. I don't want a quick blast through snazzy linear CGI's ville and the chance to "play an interactive movie."

Indeed. They can keep all that bollox with Uncharted.

(in reply to Drone)
Post #: 21
RE: Tomb Raider Begins - 4/2/2012 4:50:45 AM   
Sotto Voce

Actually I would like it to be less linear and more open than Uncharted. And with less shooting people. Still hope for a decent narrative element though. And none of that half-baked science-fantasy nonsense.

< Message edited by Sotto Voce -- 4/2/2012 5:06:01 AM >

All things digested have a similar hue.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 22
RE: Tomb Raider Begins - 4/2/2012 12:59:33 PM   
kumar

That looked quite decent. Tomb Raider 2 was a bit scary for me when we first got a PS so I had to wait a while before I could play it without getting freaked out by the tense atmosphere it created. Played TR3 up to a point and it was more of the same and then I did TR5 which worked despite some levels having only a catapult as a "weapon". Those games were awesome, like someone else said they really were games to keep you going for a few weeks. I never played the new ones but I was keen to get a TR for ps3 if it was available- ill keep an eye out for this release.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 23
RE: Tomb Raider Begins - 17/2/2012 3:39:50 PM   
Base

Tomb Raider Legend final boss:

AAARRRGHHHHFUCKINSTUPIDCUNTYMONSTERDIEYABASTIDWANKSTAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is all.

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 24
RE: Tomb Raider Begins - 3/3/2012 1:04:08 PM   
Base

I know this is the wrong tomb raider, but can anyone help??

I'm playing underworld and am at the second arm of Shiva where you need to insert the gem. Have already instered the first one but it simply isn't giving me the option to insert the second and I can't see it in my inventory. I definitely picked it up tho and have been all the way back to check and it has been collected!?!?

Is this a bug??

Should I just use the f&*%ing disk as a frisbee and go buy uncharted 3 instead???

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

Post #: 25
RE: Tomb Raider Begins - 21/2/2013 2:14:53 PM   
Timon

So this is out next month? What's the early word?

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 26
RE: Tomb Raider Begins - 21/2/2013 2:29:40 PM   
From_Hell

I played a demo of it back in September at a gamer expo thingy at Earls Court and bloody loved it. It's the only title out this year that I'll be preordering. It can be pre-ordered at Shop To for about 32, which is pretty reasonable....

"What are you gonna do?"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 27
RE: Tomb Raider Begins - 24/2/2013 5:55:27 PM   
paulyboy

Huge Tomb Raider fan, so I'm looking forward to this, but all the gameplay videos have me extremely worried if I'm honest, lots of shooting, lots of scripted events.

Visually it looks incredible, I'm sure it'll turn out to be a decent action game, but that's not what I buy Tomb Raider games for. I appreciate after 16 years something has to give, adapt or die and all that, but I want exploration and puzzle solving. Hopefully Crystal Dynamics are just trying to sell the game by advertising the big explosive moments and the Tomb Raider I know and love is buried in there somewhere, I'm not holding my breath though.

Ironic that one of Uncharted's most direct influences should now be clearly influenced by Uncharted itself.

Also, I'd love for another Mansion level like the one in Legend, that was fab, spent a couple of hours finding all the secrets in that, great fun.

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 28
RE: Tomb Raider Begins - 25/2/2013 3:14:17 PM   
sroey

Reviews are up!

CVG - Clicky

IGN - Clicky

Just pre-ordered from Shopto

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 29
RE: Tomb Raider Begins - 25/2/2013 8:11:26 PM   
directorscut

Reading the IGN review I came away with the feeling that they were reviewing a movie not a game. I wish they let game designers make games again and not disgruntled, failed film-makers.

Looks like it is as fear the game has been turned into an action-oriented, QTE and scripted-event written piece of crap like Uncharted.

quote:

Combat has never been the strength of Crystal Dynamics' Tomb Raider games

No numb-nuts, combat has never been the focus of Tomb Raider at all. Tomb Raider is about puzzles and exploration with occasional action bits.

The game also looks nasty and repellent in a Last House on the Left or I Spin on Your Grave kind of way.

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> Tomb Raider Begins Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI