Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Cate Blanchett On For The Hobbit

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Cate Blanchett On For The Hobbit Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cate Blanchett On For The Hobbit - 8/12/2010 3:32:53 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: Em... - 8/12/2010 10:11:18 AM   
crazymoviesdude

quote:

ORIGINAL: Knight of Fury

...as Galadriel isn't (as you rightly point out) actually in the Hobbit or mentioned, or hinted at in the most abstract way, why shoe-horn her into the film? I can see a bit of jiggery pokery to fit say Legolas in a brief cameo (SPOILER: they do end up in his gaff), but why do we need added complication to this already fairly daunting adaptation? Still very glad to see McCoy and Stott confirmed.

Radagast isn't in the book either, and yet you are glad of his inclusion. It has been mentioned many times that the whereabouts of Gandalf when he scampers off to meet with the White Council and expel the Necromancer will be explored in the film. It seems like a good move as I always felt it odd that we find out very little of what he does in the book, and as there will be two films, it makes sense to expand on those parts. Both Radagast and Galadriel will most probably feature solely in these segments and possibly, if they can get a unit over here (Lee has stated he'd love to reprise his role but doesn't want to travel to NZ at his age), there could even be Saruman. I really hope they do that as he is a key member of the White Council and leaving him out would be really odd.
Post #: 2
RE: Em... - 8/12/2010 1:04:20 PM   
Invader_Ace

No.
I don't like it.  Yes, she was awesome in LOTR, but the Hobbit is just a different beast.  It should be a simpler adventure film.  Not crammed full of shout-outs to LOTR and needlessly epic-ed-up.

(in reply to crazymoviesdude)
Post #: 3
RE: Em... - 8/12/2010 1:08:54 PM   
jmebaby25

quote:

ORIGINAL: Invader_Ace

No.
I don't like it.  Yes, she was awesome in LOTR, but the Hobbit is just a different beast.  It should be a simpler adventure film.  Not crammed full of shout-outs to LOTR and needlessly epic-ed-up.

I'm not sure that the inclusion of Galadriel counts as the Hobbit being crammed full of shout-outs to LOTR. I trust Jackson with this and I think that The Hobbit is in safe hands.

I didn't see McKellen listed as having signed on in the article. Has he?

I make the world wide web a little prettier.
www.hoylandwebdesign.com

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 4
RE: Em... - 8/12/2010 2:59:19 PM   
crazymoviesdude

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmebaby25

I'm not sure that the inclusion of Galadriel counts as the Hobbit being crammed full of shout-outs to LOTR. I trust Jackson with this and I think that The Hobbit is in safe hands.

I didn't see McKellen listed as having signed on in the article. Has he?

Not officially he hasn't.

(in reply to jmebaby25)
Post #: 5
RE: Em... - 8/12/2010 4:25:19 PM   
Knight of Fury

The White Council drive the 'Necromancer' out of Mirkwood 'off-page' as it were during the timeline of the Hobbit.  Other than the fact Galadriel helped set up the White Council over a millennium before, what's she doing there?  Radagast is a member of said council and also as he wasn't in LotR it's nice to see his inclusion.  My point is her inclusion is fairly artificial, which is a shame.  It's not a deal breaker for me it just seems a bit pointless.

(in reply to crazymoviesdude)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Cate Blanchett On For The Hobbit Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI