Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

French Cinema

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> French Cinema Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
French Cinema - 4/12/2010 7:23:23 PM   
Trousers

Hey guys, been a while since i've perused these forums. I've had a pretty stale patch where I haven't seen much world cinema and, i'm not sure why, i'd like to get started on some French cinema.

The only two films i've seen are Amelie and A Very Long Engagement, both of which I enjoyed immensly. I just wondered if you guys could recommend any must see or great French films. Beautiful french women is obviously a plus and I will be sure to check those films out first!

Much appreciated!

Ambition makes you look pretty ugly
Kicking, squealing gucci little piggy

Post #: 1
RE: French Cinema - 29/12/2010 2:08:31 PM   
mad_looney

If you liked amilie and a very long engagement, try micmacs, city of lost children, wasabi and the taxi series. If you want something more serious look for angela, he loves me he loves me not, l'apparment, jean de florette and manon des sources. Just for starters, great films though I cant comment on the women in them.

Head of Military and Defence for the Peoples Republic of Empiria

http://www.myspace.com/fudzistan

Have your eyes ever been checked?
No Doctor, they've always been blue

(in reply to Trousers)
Post #: 2
RE: French Cinema - 3/1/2011 7:05:24 PM   
darth silas

Female Agents is darn good WW2 espionage movie starring Sophie Marceau.Think of it as a female Expendables

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to mad_looney)
Post #: 3
RE: French Cinema - 3/1/2011 9:07:21 PM   
elab49

Yes, it really is that absolutely awful

BBC4 really need to apply some quality control to their foreign language purchases - there doesn't seem to be much of a coherent backing to the choices. Rather random and, sadly, sometimes quite poor.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 4
RE: French Cinema - 3/1/2011 11:28:20 PM   
Jackie Boy

You can't really go wrong with the likes of Delicatessen or Irreversible, but you really ought to check out the stunning two part saga Mesrine as well. If none of those tickle your fancy, check out Une Prophete, which has been grabbing the headlines for nigh on a year now.

"If you're not against me,don't cross this line! If yes,do."

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5
RE: French Cinema - 6/1/2011 11:49:09 PM   
dahughesy

May I highly recommend Mathieu Kassovitz's La Haine. Truly a masterpiece, exploring the racial divisions in urban Paris with some tremendous lead performances, especially by Vincent Cassel. Speaking of whom, check out Gaspar Noe's Irreversible, truly shocking and distressing, and not for everybody, but I do recommend it.

A trilogy I'd definitely recommend is Krzysztof Kieslowski's Three colours trilogy, Blue, White and Red. I'd recommend all 3 of them. And if you're a fan of Michael Haneke's work, maybe watch Cache.

And in terms of french women, Laetitia Casta would be a personal favourite, she's one of the most attractive women alive. Her and Monica Belluci, who's in Irreversible as well.

Hope that helps!

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."

(in reply to Jackie Boy)
Post #: 6
RE: French Cinema - 15/1/2011 12:02:01 PM   
MovieAddict247

Off the top of my head, these should cover most film tastes.

Micmacs
is great.

OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies - a spy film spoof (think 60s Bond - stereotypes, Nazi bad guys etc)

Persepolis - an animation following a girl growing up during the Iranian Revolution.

I've Loved You So Long - is good if you like slow burning, character driven films. Kristen Scott Thomas is fantastic, though personally I didn't rate the film much.

Être et avoir - a reallly touching documentary about a really small school and the teacher.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to dahughesy)
Post #: 7
RE: French Cinema - 27/3/2011 12:06:00 AM   
siegfried

If you enjoy a first rate thriller, you couldn't do better than Tell No One, and if you liked Amelie I'd warmly recommend Ensemble C'est Tout, a lovely romantic comedy/drama with the wonderful Audrey Tautou, Guillaume Canet, Laurent Stocker and Francoise Bertin.
I'd also recommend some of the classics of French Cinema - Pepe Le Moko, Diabolique, Le Corbeau, Port Of Shadows, Les Parapluies De Cherbourg, Les Demoiselles De Rochefort and pretty well anything written and directed by Jean-Pierre Melville.

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 8
RE: French Cinema - 27/3/2011 9:20:48 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

< Message edited by scarface666brooksy!! -- 27/3/2011 9:38:21 AM >

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 9
RE: French Cinema - 3/5/2011 6:11:28 PM   
rich

City of Lost Children and Delicatessen 

Meanwhile...
Post #: 10
RE: French Cinema - 2/7/2011 5:09:01 PM   
NinjaShortbread212

"Mesrine" 5/5 Stars

"La Haine" 4/5 Stars

... I'm a big Vincent Cassel fan!

< Message edited by NinjaShortbread212 -- 5/7/2011 10:53:30 PM >

Art

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 11
RE: French Cinema - 3/7/2011 5:20:53 PM   
wiggle

I've not seen a film in the last few years better than I've Loved You So Long.  It is stunning.

"I wish you were dead - no, I don't mean that. That was silly and unkind, and I shouldn't have said it. But I do wish you'd stop talking." Celia Johnson, Brief Encounter.

(in reply to NinjaShortbread212)
Post #: 12
RE: French Cinema - 4/7/2011 2:47:35 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

ORIGINAL: wiggle

I've not seen a film in the last few years better than I've Loved You So Long.  It is stunning.

I've been meaning to see that for some time now. It looks great.

Art

(in reply to wiggle)
Post #: 13
RE: French Cinema - 4/7/2011 7:58:42 AM   
wiggle

quote:

ORIGINAL: NinjaShortbread212

quote:

ORIGINAL: wiggle

I've been meaning to see that for some time now. It looks great.

I've seen it about three times.  Each viewing just makes me want to watch it more.

"I wish you were dead - no, I don't mean that. That was silly and unkind, and I shouldn't have said it. But I do wish you'd stop talking." Celia Johnson, Brief Encounter.

Post #: 14
RE: French Cinema - 4/7/2011 3:14:36 PM   
NinjaShortbread212

If you like beautiful French films then I strongly recommend this little gem (if you haven't already seen it that is!)...

... a life reaffirming film if ever I saw one and based on a true story.

5/5 Stars

< Message edited by NinjaShortbread212 -- 4/7/2011 3:16:37 PM >

Art

(in reply to wiggle)
Post #: 15
RE: French Cinema - 4/7/2011 10:56:30 PM   
wiggle

quote:

ORIGINAL: NinjaShortbread212

If you like beautiful French films then I strongly recommend this little gem (if you haven't already seen it that is!)...

... a life reaffirming film if ever I saw one and based on a true story.

5/5 Stars

(The Diving Bell & The Butterfly)

A beautiful film.  I saw a Canadian film a few weeks ago called My Life Without Me.  Also a very life-affirming film.  Strangely uplifting. 

Post #: 16
RE: French Cinema - 5/7/2011 2:33:54 PM   
NinjaShortbread212

Yes, my picture seems to have vanished, so here it is again.

Sad films (I feel) have a tendency to somehow "uplift" you in the strangest ways sometimes, I'll agree with that.

< Message edited by NinjaShortbread212 -- 5/7/2011 10:54:50 PM >

Art

(in reply to wiggle)
Post #: 17
RE: French Cinema - 8/7/2011 4:17:38 PM   
Discodez

As they haven't been mentioned yet, I'm going to recommend "Jean de Florette" and "Manon des Sources", "Ponette", "Harry, He's Here to Help (French: Harry, un ami qui vous veut du bien)", "Subway", "Nikita", "Diva", Jean-Paul Rappeneau's version of "Cyrano de Bergerac" and although not a film, there is an amazingly good version of "The Count of Monte Cristo" starring Gerard Depardieu as Dantes which you can get on DVD.

And if you like things a bit extreme try "Biase Moi", "Inside" and "Martyrs"

Post #: 18
RE: French Cinema - 10/7/2011 1:30:26 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

A good selection of films there Discodez. Although I haven't seen any apart from "The Count of Monte Cristo" I will have a look out for the others...

Another good French film is "Les Diaboliques".

4/5 Stars

< Message edited by NinjaShortbread212 -- 11/7/2011 2:45:06 PM >

Art

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 19
RE: French Cinema - 11/7/2011 10:00:24 AM   
Discodez

You'll have to let me know what you think as you work through them all

Post #: 20
RE: French Cinema - 11/7/2011 2:43:32 PM   
NinjaShortbread212

Oh, I will. I seem to be a regular on here!

< Message edited by NinjaShortbread212 -- 3/12/2011 10:24:31 PM >

Art

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 21
RE: French Cinema - 27/7/2011 8:15:22 AM   
dukeunique07

well french cinema is very amazing cinema so many movies are won awards of Oscar :) french cinema is really awesome :) 

Post #: 22
RE: French Cinema - 31/7/2011 12:58:04 AM   
Sumintelligentguy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Discodez

As they haven't been mentioned yet, I'm going to recommend "Jean de Florette" and "Manon des Sources", "Ponette", "Harry, He's Here to Help (French: Harry, un ami qui vous veut du bien)", "Subway", "Nikita", "Diva", Jean-Paul Rappeneau's version of "Cyrano de Bergerac" and although not a film, there is an amazingly good version of "The Count of Monte Cristo" starring Gerard Depardieu as Dantes which you can get on DVD.

And if you like things a bit extreme try "Baise Moi", "Inside" and "Martyrs"

I read the book - disturbed doesn't really cover it.

I just watched 'Ne le dis a personne'/Tell no one.

It was good - but I watched it without subtitles so struggled to understand all the intricacies of the plot - and the music was a bit rubbish. Canet, in his other film Les petits Mouchoirs too, struggles to get the music right (even if in LPM the use of Are You Gonna Be My Girl was perfect for the opening).

"Snake? Snaaaake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!?"

R.I.P. Punchy

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 23
RE: French Cinema - 1/9/2011 1:42:09 AM   
fernetcontonica

If you're for something more crude than Irreversible, you can't go wrong with Noe's Seul contre Tous. Discodez'suggestions Inside and Martyrs are also really good ones if you're for somethinge a bit extreme (haven't watched Baise moi!). C'e arrivé pres de chez vous known around there as "Man Bites Dog" is another one worth a watch. One I just evoked in another thread is Shoot the piano player, which is quite noirish and a bit crazy. Delicatessen and The City of lost children are awesome choices too. Calvaire and Lemming and two relatively recent ones that hit the realm of the strange. 

La Campane del Infierno 9/10
The Edukators 8/10
War World Z 6/10
Inbred 5?/10
The Brass Teapot 7/10
Dettachment 6?/10
The Dead Inside 7?/10
The Haunted Mansion 5/10
Anatomie 2 6/10
Anatomie 6?/10

(in reply to Sumintelligentguy)
Post #: 24
RE: French Cinema - 1/9/2011 3:30:27 AM   
Piles

A few of my favourite Frenchys from ye ol' New Wave (and those associated with it but not actually from it, such as Melville, Malle, the Left Bankers) and my favourites from them, in order of accesibility:

Jacques Demy - Lola and The Umbrellas of Cherbourg.
Louis Malle - Au Revoir Les Enfants, Lift to the Scaffold, and Zazie dans le Metro.
Francois Truffaut - Shoot the Pianist, Jules et Jim, 400 Blows, Stolen Kisses, and Bed and Board.
Claude Chabrol - Le Boucher, Le Femme Infidele, and Les Biches.
Eric Rohmer - Chloe in the Afternoon, Pauline at the Beath, Full Moon in Paris, My Night at Maud's, and The Green Ray.
Jeanne-Pierre Melville - Army of Shadows, Le Cercle Rouge, Les Dolous, Leon Morin Preist, and Bob le Flambeur.
Agnes Varda - Cleo 5-7.
Jean-Luc Godard - Pierrot le Fou, Vivre sa Vie, Made in USA, Le Mepris, and La Chinoise (although it's probably wise to start with Breathless and Bande A Part)
Chris Marker - A.K., Sans Soleil, and Le Jetee.
Alain Resnais - Night and Fog, Last Year at Marienbad, and Hiroshima Mon Amour.
Jacques Rivette - Celine and Julie Go Boating, Paris Belongs to Us, and Out 1.

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

(in reply to fernetcontonica)
Post #: 25
RE: French Cinema - 2/12/2011 4:39:56 PM   
garvielloken

Great film and has one of the most beautiful French actress' ever.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 26
RE: French Cinema - 21/1/2012 9:10:56 AM   
boristhespie

You could get caught up in what is the middle class art crowd cinema of Rohmer Nd Truffaut etc. Nothing wong with that I love these guys films but lets not forget the pop cinema which is the reall cinema of France. Today that's down to one man Besson and his Europa Corp as well as the likes of Danny boon etc but for the heyday you need to seek out De Funes (Gendarme movies or the likes of la Grand Vadroiluille-Frances greated comedy), Fernandel, Jean Pierre Melville (les Doulos being my fave), Belmondo policiers, Lino Ventura, Yves montand, Fantomas, Jean Gabin. You can even go for Cissi or Angelique if youre that way inclined.

Badges, We don' need no stinking badgees.

(in reply to garvielloken)
Post #: 27
RE: French Cinema - 19/3/2012 4:26:07 AM   
mia grace

Only one I see not posted but is a must see is the superb Les Enfants du paradis. Particularly if you're looking for a beautiful seductive french femme there's no one better than Arletty.

(in reply to boristhespie)
Post #: 28
RE: French Cinema - 19/3/2012 11:43:08 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

ORIGINAL: mia grace

Only one I see not posted but is a must see is the superb Les Enfants du paradis. Particularly if you're looking for a beautiful seductive french femme there's no one better than Arletty.

I thouroughly enjoyed it also, possibly an hour too long but it's such a beautiful and bittersweet film that that can be forgiven. I really must give this a view again soon.

< Message edited by NinjaShortbread212 -- 19/3/2012 11:44:06 AM >

Art

(in reply to mia grace)
Post #: 29
RE: French Cinema - 28/4/2012 10:40:25 PM   
Myxomatosis

A couple more

The Beat That My Heart Skipped

Dobermann

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> French Cinema Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI