Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Huge Hype! Huge Disappointment!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Huge Hype! Huge Disappointment! Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Huge Hype! Huge Disappointment! - 16/2/2006 9:14:55 PM   
jamesianosborne

Not since Episode 1 came out in 1999 have we seen such a bad year for big hype movies turning out to be kinda average actually.

Revenge of The Sith was so-so, not helped by the fact hat we all knew what was going to happen.

King Kong was too King Sized when a regular would do.

The less said about The Island, the better.

and Narnia was fairly shite too.

There were som successes, Sin City and Crash being two that spring to mind, but 2005 was a year when Over-Hype and high expectations resulted in a steep fall and a harsh landing for a few movies.

"It's not the years honey, it's the mileage."
Post #: 1
RE: Huge Hype! Huge Disappointment! - 16/2/2006 9:17:33 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

Van Helsing. Sommers had made the fun The Mummy: now I wish he'd never go near another classic Uni monster. WOTW too: but it wasn't bad, just average. I would say I was dissapointed with the first two Star Wars prequels and Matrix sequels, but I saw them on DVD and thought they were just average. Troy was pretty awful as well.

CG, stop motion, acting, animation, animatronics, whatever, it's 24 lies a second...

Critiquing words for dummies: Pretentious, overrated, sentimental, indulgent, populist.

(in reply to jamesianosborne)
Post #: 2
RE: Huge Hype! Huge Disappointment! - 16/2/2006 9:19:34 PM   
Tech_Noir

All three Lord of The Rings films.

I was told these would be life changing experiences, that they'd revolution cinema and make me re-think my life. Instead I got 9 hours of midgets singing and dancing and then crying, with some war going on in the background.

Post #: 3
RE: Huge Hype! Huge Disappointment! - 16/2/2006 9:20:49 PM   
Mr Grady

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

I was told these would be life changing experiences, that they'd revolution cinema and make me re-think my life. Instead I got 9 hours of midgets singing and dancing and then crying, with some war going on in the background.

Oh dear have we gone there again Tech

Champagne for my real friends, and real pain for my sham friends

'My wife has an ass in her cock in the drive way'

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 4
RE: Huge Hype! Huge Disappointment! - 16/2/2006 9:21:18 PM   
jamesianosborne

quote:

Why do some people come on here and Slate publically and critically acclaimed movies JUST to get a reaction, GRRRRR.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 5
RE: Huge Hype! Huge Disappointment! - 16/2/2006 9:21:39 PM   
Timon

To be fair, all the below films were dissappointing because i'd hyped them up to such a degree in my head.

Troy (still entertaining though)
Van Helsing (pap)
War of the Worlds (was just expecting more from Spielberg)
The Star Wars Prequels (If only someone else had written them)
Jarhead (solid film but expected more)
Windtalkers (The Woo doing WWII!? Should have been one of the best films ever.....wasn't)

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to doctorolorinbats1975)
Post #: 6
RE: Huge Hype! Huge Disappointment! - 16/2/2006 9:24:30 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

quote:

I'm suprised someone who's a fan of Terry Malick and James Cameron doesn't like LOTR. Stranger things have happened though.

CG, stop motion, acting, animation, animatronics, whatever, it's 24 lies a second...

Critiquing words for dummies: Pretentious, overrated, sentimental, indulgent, populist.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 7
RE: Huge Hype! Huge Disappointment! - 16/2/2006 9:24:32 PM   
jamesianosborne

War of The Worlds I'll let slip just because the first hour was pretty cool, and the Car riot scene was really good and had a very real edge to it. Shame about the ending though.

Troy was another one I liked despite its faults.

Forgot how Awful Van Helsing was. Poor Hugh Jackman, I hope he got paid a lot of money cause even 2 months of shooting opposite a leather clad Kate Beckinsdale couldn't be worth that tripe!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 8
RE: Huge Hype! Huge Disappointment! - 16/2/2006 9:24:33 PM   
James2183

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamesianosborne

quote:

Why do some people come on here and Slate publically and critically acclaimed movies JUST to get a reaction, GRRRRR.

Just because they are critically and publically acclaimed doens't mean everyone likes them.

The Two Towers was a huge dissapointment and only the EE helped it become watchable. Will repeat Timon's opinion on War of the Worlds. Was looking forward to it and ended up being one of the worst films I saw at the cinema last year.

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

Post #: 9
RE: Huge Hype! Huge Disappointment! - 16/2/2006 9:25:17 PM   
Mr Grady

The Day After Tommorow.  That was hyped to hell and delivered nothing but a shame.

Champagne for my real friends, and real pain for my sham friends

'My wife has an ass in her cock in the drive way'

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 10
RE: Huge Hype! Huge Disappointment! - 16/2/2006 9:26:48 PM   
Squall Katsuragi

I think the Star Wars prequels definatly failed to deliver but thats my just my opinion. I always say that though.

(in reply to Mr Grady)
Post #: 11
RE: Huge Hype! Huge Disappointment! - 16/2/2006 9:26:56 PM   
jamesianosborne

You're right about Two Towers being crap in the cinema, but by then Jackson knew how populare the extended DVD versions were, so he could afford to cut them badly to make them more "Cinema Freindly" cause those of us who were that interested would watch the extensions. I still think that the 2 finales shoudln't have cut back and forth so much though. The Ents are so lame compared with the Helms Deep battle.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 12
RE: Huge Hype! Huge Disappointment! - 16/2/2006 9:29:57 PM   
riversbend

quote:

I hope he got paid a lot of money cause even 2 months of shooting opposite a leather clad Kate Beckinsdale couldn't be worth that tripe!

I would quite gladly pay whatever they paid him to have that experience

as long as i didnt' have to sit through the film again

The pattern is not set. It is fluid and constantly changing.
But it will be worked out in beauty in the end.

Someone once said I was the thinking woman's man. I was just like, I hope every woman is thinking.

Beep... Perfect score... Gold star.

Post #: 13
RE: Huge Hype! Huge Disappointment! - 16/2/2006 9:31:15 PM   
wrenster

Defintely would put King Kong into that catagory. Decided not to see it till the crowds calmed down, but when I went in with such high expectations, I came out feeling slight disappointment. This so called masterpiece wasn't as masterful as I had been led to believe.

I'm glad someone has mentioned War of The Worlds. Thought it started off great but it has the worse ending I have ever had the misfortune of viewing. Pass the honey, Steven...it's just not sickly sweet enough.

The last time I was in a woman was when i visited the Statue Of Liberty - Crimes and Misdemeanors

http://wrenster.blog.com/
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Wrensters-Store

Post #: 14
RE: Huge Hype! Huge Disappointment! - 16/2/2006 9:31:24 PM   
jamesianosborne

Personally I prefer her in Underworld, especially as she gets her kit off in the sequel. Though you don't see any good stuff unfortunately

(in reply to riversbend)
Post #: 15
RE: Huge Hype! Huge Disappointment! - 16/2/2006 9:31:33 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

quote:

You're right about Two Towers being crap in the cinema, but by then Jackson knew how populare the extended DVD versions were, so he could afford to cut them badly to make them more "Cinema Freindly" cause those of us who were that interested would watch the extensions. I still think that the 2 finales shoudln't have cut back and forth so much though. The Ents are so lame compared with the Helms Deep battle.

I love the Ents: their last march is one of the greatest moments in the trilogy. I think all three TEs are brilliant anyway: the EEs are good because they are merely extended for fans. As for ROTS, I think it's better than ANH. King Kong is indeed the EE of a 140 minute film PJ never released, but it's still moving and exciting tour-de-force of filmmaking nonetheless. Narnia I loved: CS Lewis would have loved it.

< Message edited by doctorolorinbats1975 -- 16/2/2006 9:37:09 PM >

Post #: 16
RE: Huge Hype! Huge Disappointment! - 16/2/2006 9:32:36 PM   
kumar

quote:

Van Helsing. Sommers had made the fun The Mummy: now I wish he'd never go near another classic Uni monster. WOTW too: but it wasn't bad, just average. I would say I was dissapointed with the first two Star Wars prequels and Matrix sequels, but I saw them on DVD and thought they were just average. Troy was pretty awful as well.

these two had great potential, van helsing in particular. i was gutted at the cinema, albeit some ideas were very good, some utter shite; werewolves in day time anyone? VAMPIRES IN DAYTIME ANYONE?; and it never really settled. as for the over use of CGI, i think directors really need to stick to challenging stuff. would u be scared of a huge realistic model/suit, or a fake computor generated shit tthat u could never touch.

that goes for thr mummy aswell, although it was pretty entertaining.

matrix sequels tho, same goes for CGI and ridiculuos script; only because i didnt understand any of it. but hey, i still enjoy them.

and wor of the worlds i thoroughly enjoyed, but i do agree the ending was VERY abrubt, but other wise a pretty good film to watch, the scene where the first tripod comes ou of the ground and makes that noise is bloody great!!! sent shivers down my spine!

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to Mr Grady)
Post #: 17
RE: Huge Hype! Huge Disappointment! - 16/2/2006 9:37:43 PM   
jamesianosborne

quote:

ORIGINAL: doctorolorinbats1975
As for ROTS, I think it's better than ANH.

Ban this man from the cinema.!!

If I had final cut on ANH, the only bit I truly hate is luke's one line:
"But I was going into Tashi station to pick up some power converters!"
Whiny kid. But the rest is pure adventure all the way.

Sith had some truly terrible bits. Lucas decided to put the E.T. ripoff scene with Yoda saying bye bye to Chewie into the movie, but cuts out a really nice scene where he lands on Dagobah and the Yoda music swells up in a quite romantic moment as he surveys the landscape.

Also we wait 2 and a half hours for Mech-Vader and get 2 shite lines and a NOOOOOOOO! from him. and also, Christensen should never have been put into the suit, he is not big enough and he looked all wrong. They should have gotten a massive guy again.

Post #: 18
RE: Huge Hype! Huge Disappointment! - 16/2/2006 9:39:28 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

Why ban from cinema? ROTS is on par with ESB and ROTJ. ANH is a well acted adventure film, nothing more. I appreciate the film's legacy, but it's just my opinion man. I thought this is what the forum is for.

< Message edited by doctorolorinbats1975 -- 16/2/2006 9:42:03 PM >

Post #: 19
RE: Huge Hype! Huge Disappointment! - 16/2/2006 9:48:23 PM   
Comrade Zutroy

A few of people have mentioned Troy and I would echo those sentiments.  While I liked the film, I just thought that, visually, it was far too glossy and not gritty enough.

If there were no rewards to reap,
no loving embrace to see me through this tedious path I've chosen here,
I certainly would've walked away by now.

I'm gonna wait it out

"It's a day spa, you fuck!"

Post #: 20
RE: Huge Hype! Huge Disappointment! - 16/2/2006 9:48:56 PM   
Spider

quote:

Oh look, Tech_Noir turns another thread into an "I hate Lord of the Rings" rant, BORING!!!!!!

Definetely agree with King Kong though, wasn't really that great. I have never seen a movie that used unecessery CGI more, yet no one here seems to notice this!

Rudi Manchego's Simple Rustic Wisdom:
If you look at a pebble, you will see your own face

Howard Moon: Fusion Minstrel Vince Noir: Gothic Fairy. The Boosh is Loose and it's coming at you like a shark with knees!

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 21
RE: Huge Hype! Huge Disappointment! - 16/2/2006 9:50:45 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spider

Definetely agree with King Kong though, wasn't really that great. I have never seen a movie that used unecessery CGI more, yet no one here seems to notice this!

CGI was used as a substitute for stop motion, not a movie itself unlike some hollow blockbusters. Why can't people accept the film perfectly captured the spirit of the original and added more?

< Message edited by doctorolorinbats1975 -- 16/2/2006 9:54:55 PM >

(in reply to Spider)
Post #: 22
RE: Huge Hype! Huge Disappointment! - 16/2/2006 9:53:57 PM   
Tech_Noir

Note the title of the thread

Huge Hype! Huge Disappointment!

Lord of The Rings, huge hype, huge disappointment.

Post #: 23
RE: Huge Hype! Huge Disappointment! - 16/2/2006 9:56:34 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

Agreed. This is a thread to express opinions, even if I mightily disagree.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 24
RE: Huge Hype! Huge Disappointment! - 16/2/2006 10:18:44 PM   
Oh Dae Su

Munich.

Post #: 25
RE: Huge Hype! Huge Disappointment! - 16/2/2006 10:30:36 PM   
Bruce Wayne

Definately War of the worlds, major hype, Spielberg and Cruise working together again, it ended up being one huge disappointment.

Let's hug it out bitch

(in reply to Oh Dae Su)
Post #: 26
RE: Huge Hype! Huge Disappointment! - 16/2/2006 10:32:57 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

Not since Episode 1 came out in 1999 have we seen such a bad year for big hype movies turning out to be kinda average actually.

Revenge of The Sith was so-so, not helped by the fact hat we all knew what was going to happen.

King Kong was too King Sized when a regular would do.

The less said about The Island, the better.

and Narnia was fairly shite too.

There were som successes, Sin City and Crash being two that spring to mind, but 2005 was a year when Over-Hype and high expectations resulted in a steep fall and a harsh landing for a few movies.

The fact that you include Sin City as a success and Narna as fairly shite tells me all I need to know.

Narnia was a massive success at the box office and was a massive success with its target audience. The fact that you can't grasp the good in a a film isn't made exactly for your age group is a sad testiment to the majority of so called film fans on this site.

Finally although Tech's Anti-LOTR rant is getting boring he does have a point in this thread its just a shame he crams it into every reply he's ever made.
Personally blockbuster are always a disapointment now because we see and hear too much beforehand. When was the last time a big blockbuster really knocked the ball out of the park and did something truely original,  Fellowship of the Ring? The best films of the last few years have always been the ones that crept in under the radar while a big box office blockbuster bombed.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 16/2/2006 10:33:56 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

Post #: 27
RE: Huge Hype! Huge Disappointment! - 16/2/2006 10:36:02 PM   
James2183

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob
When was the last time a big blockbuster really knocked the ball out of the park and did something truely original,  Fellowship of the Ring?

Doesn't have to be original just fun I would argue, something the latest batch seem to be missing for the most part. Although Batman and X2 spring to mind.

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 28
RE: Huge Hype! Huge Disappointment! - 16/2/2006 10:47:26 PM   
My Life in Pictures

I too found Lord of the Rings a huge disapointment. I really got sucked into the hype, so much so that I actually picked up and read the book. At the end I found the first film dull and uneventfull, the second pretty forgettable and the third entertaining but very overlong.

Other disapointments have been War of the Worlds, The Island, Return of the Sith and Shaun of the Dead.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 29
RE: Huge Hype! Huge Disappointment! - 16/2/2006 10:50:18 PM   
m_er

FantasticFour

WHOA. I don't believe what I'm hearing. Check out the BALLS on this kid. Hey Spider, this is for you.

My movies
http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=4044070

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Huge Hype! Huge Disappointment! Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI