Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Megamind - 2/12/2010 5:01:25 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: EVERYBODY LOVES THE VILLAIN - 4/12/2010 11:00:21 PM   
musht

This film is actually hilarious, loved it from start to finish. Brilliant concept carried out briilliantly, couldn't recommend it enough

How it only got 3 boggles me but every man to his own, i'd give it 4 (it's not perfect like)

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"
Post #: 2
RE: EVERYBODY LOVES THE VILLAIN - 11/12/2010 9:00:05 PM   
Dr Lenera

Dreamworks are probably a little peed off that Despicable Me was being made around the same time as their own animated take on the supervillain, and, being a bit better, will probably be more remembered.   The emphasis in Megamind though is quite different.  Essentially a twist on Superman, replete with Will Ferrell doing a hilarious Marlon Brando impersonation, it winds up being yet another Beauty And The Beast variant with lots of predictable stuff about acceptance and all that.   It still works though, with just the right amount of pathos, and some spectacular action which outdoes similar scenes in Monsters Vs Aliens and The Incredibles.   There are some pop culture references but they donít drown out everything else, as is sometimes the case with animated films from this studio, and there are plenty of amusing lines and moments though little thatís truly sidesplitting.   Thatís the thing with Megamind, itís thoroughly entertaining, but just misses being really good.   Wil lFerrell helps Megamind to be a really three dimensional character, but Dreamworks missed the mark by having him look just like Galaxar from Monsters Vs Aliens.  Still, the animation is as smooth and sometimes sophisticated as ever.   Overall, nothing really special, but still a good time at the pictures, and one that adults will probably enjoy as much as [or maybe even more?] their kids.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 3
RE: EVERYBODY LOVES THE VILLAIN - 20/12/2010 12:46:38 AM   
homersimpson_esq

I disagree Lenera! Here's my review, anyway.

The superhero movie has been done many, many times. Possibly every angle has been taken. The clear cut (Superman), the dark skew (Darkman), the realism take (Batman Begins), the postmodern irony angle (The Incredibles), and even the bad-guy-as-good-guy-really angle (Despicable Me). But where that last film was touted as "this year's Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs" it had none of the spontaneous fun that permeated that gem from 2009. Megamind, on the other hand, seems to be beleaguered with the pre-Christmas death slot, stuck between Hogwarts and Narnia, and nearly - criminally - overlooked. Certainly it was only that I have no interest in the Narnia films (I adore the books: the films do nothing) and my daughter is too young for Tron: Legacy that I decided to see this film. I think, possibly, I enjoyed it more than they - which is not to say they didn't enjoy it, but more that the multi-layered nature of the humour means that, inevitably, I'm going to enjoy it that much more.

Briefly then, Megamind is a big splurge of superhero mythos - two alien babies sent from nearby planets land on earth - one in a palatial home, to become the perfect specimen that is Metroman (Brad Pitt); the other to land in a prison, thereby honing his skills to become a supervillain - Megamind (Will Ferrell). Before the film is ten minutes in, the normal events of  superhero film have been sketched in. Where this film takes us to the 'what if' scenario of what exactly happens if the villain actually wins. Like that scene in Austin Powers (coincidentally also starring Will Ferrell) where Dr Evil and his henchmen laugh maniacally until it eventually peters out, this film examines what would happen after the threats have been exacted, and the villain actually gets his way.

Like with Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs, the efficacy of the film's comedy comes from its relentless barrage of little jokes, references, tidbits of humour to keep the laughs ticking over. A delicious back-and-forth between Megamind and Metroman has them trading barbed wit  - to repeat it here would be to lessen its effect on-screen when seen, so I shall refrain from doing so, however tempting it is. The film's references never seem tiresome or laboured (a superb Brando impression serves as a tutor for a would-be super-hero), while it always retains its heart. Megamind himself is a nuanced character, always feeling the need to be the villain, and yet clearly with a soul as well. Where Steve Carell's Gru in Despicable Me never really convinced as the evil genius, Megamind manages to be both convincingly evil, and contrastingly utterly human. In this dichotomy lies the film's success. Tina Fey as Roxanne Ritchi brings wit and self-referentiality to the not-so-mild-mannered reporter, while Jonah Hill doesn't need to stretch himself for the overweight, nerdy cameraman role - although the role has a nice zing to it. And Minion, the fish-like creature that serves as Megamind's, uh, minion, is a work of comic brilliance.

Naturally there are only so many ways the film can end and while the big picture is fairly predictable, it doesn't change the fact that smaller things are less so - and it doesn't alter the efficacy of the film. Often it is said that the story is what makes a film. To a large extent, this is true: but it is the characters that truly bring a film to life. Without a story a film is bland and predictable: but without good characters, the film cannot live. Despicable Me had a good story, but the characters were poor. Megamind has a good story, but it has great characters. See this gem before it leaves the cinemas - it could be Dreamworks' finest film.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 4
RE: Megamind - 30/12/2010 11:44:27 AM   
D-ToX

I was really looking forward to this one but I have to say I left the cinema a little disappointed, something just didn't sit right with me, I think the tone was little off and it needed to be a lot darker or lighter, it is like they did not have the guts to go either way and played it safe by sticking in the middle.
I was also not particularly fond of the characters in it, besides Megamind the other characters were not reallyflushed out and none of the star names brought anything special to the mix. I think that on this occasion it would have worked better if they had chosen someone who's voice is more important than the name, Pixar are great at that and Dreamworks themselves pulled off an amazing job with Walt Dohrn's performance as Rumpelstiltskin in Shrek Forever After.
A sequel may give them the chance to fix any of the above issues that I had with it but personally I would rather see a sequel to the superior Monsters vs. Aliens.
I give it 3/5 and I think the third star is for Ferrell's performance alone.

"I said do what I say not do what I do"

http://bluraydatabase.co.uk

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 5
Best animation ever - 17/1/2011 2:31:08 PM   
MariannaBelle

Well after toy story and tangled but this film was WAY funnier than this reveiw is implying.

I love it so much because it is so underratted. For those who will appreciate this.....he does the DOUGIE dance at the end. Say no more!

Post #: 6
megamind - 23/2/2011 2:31:52 PM   
ianrobertmuir

took my son 2 see this,he laughed twice and the rest was just boring.dissapointing

Post #: 7
The first time I've rooted for a villan - 9/4/2011 9:50:14 PM   
Zayd Awan

An energetic film with a good solid journey filled with comedy and action in equal and well amounted proportions. Perhaps a touch more ambition could have really elevated this film in the the stars. It had the concept and cast, it just needed a little more drive.

Post #: 8
RE: Megamind - 25/7/2011 1:53:58 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: D-ToX

I was really looking forward to this one but I have to say I left the cinema a little disappointed, something just didn't sit right with me, I think the tone was little off and it needed to be a lot darker or lighter, it is like they did not have the guts to go either way and played it safe by sticking in the middle.

Pretty much what I was just about to say.

2 and half stars.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to D-ToX)
Post #: 9
RE: Megamind - 25/7/2011 5:22:22 PM   
sanchia

A decent enough film and definitely better than the similar Despicable Me. However, there is definitely something missing from the film although I am hard pressed to define what precisely that is. Will Ferrell didn't really work as the voice of the main character and the secondary characters were very limited. A rather average film but entertaining enough.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 10
- 1/1/2012 2:25:42 PM   
david hayes

best animated film in years

Post #: 11
Megamind Review - 2/1/2012 10:09:57 PM   
the film man

It regurgitates plot points from earlier animated efforts, and isn't quite as funny as it should be, but a top-shelf voice cast and strong visuals help make Megamind a pleasant, if unspectacular, diversion.

Post #: 12
- 26/5/2012 12:38:46 AM   
david hayes

better than Finding Nemo and Ratatoulie

Post #: 13
Think Despicable me meets the Incredibles but not half ... - 13/6/2012 11:06:01 PM   
trainedasninja

When a film's trailer shows all the events of the first 20 minutes and nothing else it doesnt feel too promising. Megamind for all its fun elements is fairly uninspiring and routinely predictable. Reflections on the two films mentioned are simply unavoidable and unfortunately feels abit of a rip off of their storylines. To be positive the visuals are impressive, voice acting is faultless and posesses some great humourous moments making this not exactly a movie to stay away from.

Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Megamind Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI