Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Running

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Running Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Running - 23/3/2011 8:50:59 AM   
Chief

Ouch!

Did you cry?

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 121
RE: Running - 24/3/2011 4:32:41 PM   
gingerdaniel

I'm off work today due to a sore throat/headache/feeling poop. Supposed to be running a 10k on Sunday, need some quick fix tips for becoming well in 2 days!

So far i've been sucking Strepsils, drinking tea, popping paracetamol and then more tea.

Do you run? Check THIS out

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 122
RE: Running - 25/3/2011 11:00:54 AM   
Chief

Get in the shower to get some steam down your pipes then get out in the fresh air.

Don't lie about, you'll only feel worse.

Edit: Oh, and drink plenty water, don't drink too much tea. The caffeine is a diuretic and it'll make you piss all your fluids out.

< Message edited by Chief -- 25/3/2011 11:04:13 AM >

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 123
RE: Running - 25/3/2011 11:37:49 AM   
Hobbitonlass

Got to agree with Chief.

They say if the symptons are above the neck (head cold) it shouldn't stop you running but if below the neck (chest infection etc) you shouldn't run.  Not sure about a sore throat though....  

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 124
RE: Running - 25/3/2011 12:21:25 PM   
gingerdaniel

i'm a lot better today, munching the strepsils and pints of water. Still a crappy throat, got nothing to do tomorrow so i should be rested enough to run.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 125
RE: Running - 25/3/2011 12:51:10 PM   
Chief

Gargle TCP. Mix a bit with warm water then gargle it at the back of your throat.

It tastes awful and you'll stink of the stuff but it'll kill infection.

It really does taste awful though.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 126
RE: Running - 26/3/2011 5:39:17 PM   
gingerdaniel

I'm 'fit' and ready for tomorrow, just been re-reading the details and i've got to be there for 9am (the race starts at 10). I'm really looking forward to it, gonna be lovely weather and whatever time i do, it's a PB for 10k and i'll have a month to work on training to beat it in another 10k. Now where are my shorts...

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 127
RE: Running - 29/3/2011 2:17:38 PM   
benmharper

How'd you get on GD??

I had a nice evening run the other day, loved running in the settimg sunshine. Managed 5 mile in 37:09.

#3 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to gingerdaniel)
Post #: 128
RE: Running - 29/3/2011 2:35:32 PM   
Hobbitonlass

We need results GD!  Is that why you now need a week off?

I've just been out on the Running Club's Tuesday Trot   They do a timed 5k and the 3rd km is a long slow uphill climb, absolute bloody killer!!  There was 7 of us and the start times are staggered based on peoples time the week before (so everyone finishes around the same time).  It was my first week and I did 30:45 which I really chuffed at as the hill really slowed me down.

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 129
RE: Running - 29/3/2011 3:19:21 PM   
gingerdaniel

Oh yea, 54:07.

I still had juice in the tank when i finished, but i'm pleased i did it. 10k seemed less than i thought, which is good.
Maybe it's because it's a new route and i've started to repeat myself everywhere i run now in the evening.

The course had one long hill about 3k in, but other than that was flat as a pancake, weather was beautiful!

I've been reading up on the Marwell one i've got in May, there's a recurring pair of words, hills and undulating! Apparently it's not a PB setter!

Post #: 130
RE: Running - 1/4/2011 11:26:55 PM   
Hood_Man

Went 8k today. Legs are a bit sore but my shins, knees and ankles are fine so I'm not worried. I've got some cooling pads that I put on each area anyway just in case though (bags filled with gel that can be put in the freezer, but don't go solid), more for injury prevention than anything.

And I've got reflectors! 4 months too late but I've got them!

A bit tired now though...

Post #: 131
RE: Running - 2/4/2011 12:21:29 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Personal best again this morning at the Parkrun - 30:21. Getting ever closer, I know where I can improve so there is no reason for me not to break the 30 min mark next week

Another good thing because of the Royal Wedding. The Parkrun organiser announced this morning that there would be an extra Parkrun on the bank holiday Friday as well as the Sat. Wooo

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 132
RE: Running - 9/4/2011 12:16:34 PM   
Hobbitonlass

YES YES YES!!!!!

PB of 28:40 at this mornings Parkrun! I'm still buzzing now, today is a GREAT day

Post #: 133
RE: Running - 9/4/2011 1:04:44 PM   
gingerdaniel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

YES YES YES!!!!!

PB of 28:40 at this mornings Parkrun! I'm still buzzing now, today is a GREAT day

Well done, i'm still waiting for our parkrun to switch locations, running around a sports field 3 times is boring.

Post #: 134
RE: Running - 12/4/2011 7:41:09 PM   
benmharper

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

YES YES YES!!!!!

Well done Hobbsy

I had an enforced couple of week out of action after scalding my ankle. Got out on Sunday for 6.5 miles, i could still feel it in my legs this morning.

Post #: 135
RE: Running - 14/4/2011 11:46:04 AM   
chilipenguin

So, a combination of a bereavement, upcoming fatherhood and desire to get fit has given me the push to get running.

As an overweight smoker who likes the good things life (and hence the unhealthy things) it's going to be a slog, but I want to get to the point where I can enter some races for charity. So I downloaded an app for my iPhone that purports to get you from the couch to running 5k in 9 weeks.

Went for my first run today, a combination of 1 min runs and 1.5 min walks. Ended up covering 1.7 miles in just under half and hour but fuck me, I am puggled. Plus, I forgot that I have a gammy knee (due to drunken injury) so that has started to twinge a wee bit. Any advice how to combat this?

Anyway, I'm planning on doing my second run on Saturday, so hopefully I'll have recovered by then.

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

New short story/portfolio blog online HERE

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 136
RE: Running - 14/4/2011 12:05:54 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Well done for starting to run Chilli    Welcome to the club!

Are you running in the right shoes? (I saw someone out running in Converse shoes last night  ).  If not then that may be adding to any knee twinges.  I'm a huge advocate of getting gait analysis done (it's free).  It really does make a difference to your running, having the right shoes.  I'm taking my cousin, her lad and his mate off to Sweatshop in Windsor on Sun to get their's done as they've all started running and I've been on at them to get it checked .

Might be worth running with a knee support on as well?

I started last year with the Couch to 10k and my cousin is currently using the Couch to 5k app.  They're brilliant!

(in reply to chilipenguin)
Post #: 137
RE: Running - 14/4/2011 6:10:11 PM   
gingerdaniel

Try running on grass somewhere too, you'll run slower than on tarmac, but it's easier on your joints. Until you get upto speed at least.

Post #: 138
RE: Running - 14/4/2011 8:08:46 PM   
chilipenguin

Cheers guys! I have sports trainers that I'm using. They're not the best, but they have reasonably decent cushioning etc (don't have a clue how to judge them to be honest). I was running on a combination of tarmac and packed dirt, so I might try the grass alternative. Do you think a knee support might work? I damaged it years ago and never really did anything about it so it's a bit weaker than my other one (I never notice it unless I run). Hopefully, as I keep running, the muscle will build up around it and lessen the impact strain.

Post #: 139
RE: Running - 15/4/2011 12:56:16 PM   
pocketrocket

Can I join this club?

I think I posted way on page one. I've just started (road) running again after a few months of gym work to strengthen my quads in my right leg to get my right knee working properly again. Went for my first road run yesterday in months and it felt good, pace was rubbish but that'll come. Physio signed me off this morning so I'm good to go! Although not completely pain free I am well on the way to recovery and will need to continue to strengthen leg and core muscles.

So Manchester 10k next month and providing all goes well a few more 10ks this year and a half marathon next year.

Chili, be careful with your knee. I can only talk from own experience but I would advise professional input to assess your injury and what you should do. As a general you can't go far wrong with some good leg and core muscle work as this will improve your balance and stability and ultimatley put less pressure on your legs/knees.

I've got loads of exercise that would help, let me know and I'll put them up.

"A life Jmmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for the moments that never come." Lester Freamon

Post #: 140
RE: Running - 16/4/2011 9:33:20 AM   
chilipenguin

That would be great PR. I;m heading out in a little while for my second run. I picked up a cheap iPod armband on eBay this week, so I'm looking forward to trying that out.

(in reply to pocketrocket)
Post #: 141
RE: Running - 16/4/2011 11:35:59 AM   
gingerdaniel

After buying two shit armbands, (for running, not swimming), i got THIS one, and it's amazing. My ladyfriend has one too.

Post #: 142
RE: Running - 16/4/2011 12:57:09 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Looks similar to the one I use

New PB again this week, now down to 28:34. Only 5 seconds faster but still in the right direction

Welcome back PR!!

Post #: 143
RE: Running - 16/4/2011 1:52:14 PM   
gingerdaniel

Just went out for a 5k, ran too bloody fast to begin with, causing me to hurt my right leg, feck.

HERE's the run stats.

Post #: 144
RE: Running - 17/4/2011 7:00:51 PM   
gingerdaniel

I watched the marathon today, never really watched it before. It was this time last year that my girlfriend did and got inspired to run and signed up for The Great South Run last October.

It did make me want to go for a run, but it was pretty warm down here so i went for a spin on my bike instead. Which was good because my legs still a bit painful.

This time last year i wouldn't have thought about running 'for fun'!

Post #: 145
RE: Running - 18/4/2011 9:45:44 AM   
pocketrocket

Went out on Sat afternooon and did just short of 5k (hills) in 26 mins(ish). Need to work on pace so I'm starting interval training this week at the gym and running 7k at the weekend.

Anyone use Runkeeper?

I use a Spibelt to keep phone/keys/etc secure, here's a link, they are rather good as they don't bounce around and can be hidden from view under a running top.

< Message edited by pocketrocket -- 18/4/2011 9:46:14 AM >

"A life Jmmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for the moments that never come." Lester Freamon

Post #: 146
RE: Running - 18/4/2011 9:58:30 AM   
Hobbitonlass

I watched the marathon on Sunday as well (having been out for a 8.5k run beforehand  ).   I found it quite emotional watching the first men and women elite come in and that race for second place with the men was great!

I've never wanted to do the marathon, only ever thought to myself "I'd like to do that" when watching the Great North Run (and will be this year).  Great to watch though.

My nephew uses Runkeeper when we do the Parkruns on Sat and he seems to like it.  I have my car key or house key (I unhock them from the rest of the keys when running) in the little pocket at the back of my running shorts and then the phone is in the armband.   That's a neat little belt though as yesterday when I went on my long (for me!) run I took my oystercard and some cash just in case.  As I ran early I had my lightweight running jacket on which has pockets but if I didn't have it on I would have struggled to put them anywhere....

(in reply to pocketrocket)
Post #: 147
RE: Running - 18/4/2011 6:59:55 PM   
gingerdaniel

I put my key in my shoelaces.

When they're undone, thread one lace through, do the laces up and pop the key into the laces going down the shoe. Can't lose it and it doesnt poke me in the foot or anything.

Post #: 148
RE: Running - 19/4/2011 6:22:38 AM   
benmharper

I caught bits of the marathon, it made me look forward to the Great North Run even more. The Boston marathon was also this weekend, i have crossed that finish line,(its left on the road year round) in a duck tours vehicle

I'd love to have a go at a marathon, maybe sometime in the next few years. But 26miles

I have a couple of karimor running belts. 1 with a bottle and holder, 1 thats just a few pockets but normally, if running near home, i just have ipod on arm and key in hand. But i did get some gloves with a little key pouch in the palm for cold runs. 

< Message edited by benmharper -- 19/4/2011 6:25:12 AM >

Post #: 149
RE: Running - 19/4/2011 4:34:54 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: benmharper
I'd love to have a go at a marathon, maybe sometime in the next few years. But 26miles

I would NOT like to have a go at a marathon for the very reason in bold

Went out at lunchtime and bloody hell that was hard work.  5km in 24 degree heat is a killer.......  Definitely early mornings whilst it is hot.  Not complaining about the weather as I love it, but running in it?  Phew!

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Running Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI