Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Running

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Running Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Running - 10/2/2011 4:26:21 PM   
Twisted Kitty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

True true!  I might do though in Sept when the GNR is so look out for me

You know I half expect you to turn up at our wedding in jogging gear

"I have a terrible headache, and a sudden craving for chicken wings"

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 61
RE: Running - 10/2/2011 4:53:06 PM   
Hobbitonlass

80's jogging gear    Considering it's the week before as well........

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Twisted Kitty)
Post #: 62
RE: Running - 10/2/2011 6:38:52 PM   
benmharper

quote:

Just got a place in the Great North Run   

Bollocks, have to start running further than 5k now then   Got a couple of 10k's lined up in May and June.

Congrats, its a great day, did my first last year and enjoyed it so much i signed up for the next 3

#3 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

Post #: 63
RE: Running - 11/2/2011 8:10:15 PM   
Hood_Man

Bloomin' 'eck, went for a 5k last night and did it in 45 minutes, knocked a good 10 minutes off my time the previous week, and I'm not sore either. Another month or two and I might have a go at a 10k or 8k.

< Message edited by Hood_Man -- 11/2/2011 8:11:13 PM >

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 64
RE: Running - 14/2/2011 7:14:55 PM   
Hood_Man

Had an absolute dire run this evening.  I started getting ankle cramp (I assume that's what it is, it certainly felt like cramp anyway) after 10 minutes, and nothing I did could stop it, so I ended up walking half the time because I couldn't keep up the pace.

Then that bloody farmer left his gates open so I got chased by 3 dogs in the pitch dark because my torch wasn't working properly.

And my glasses kept steaming up so I had to keep stopping to wipe them (for some reason I can't do anything with my hands when I'm running ).

Still, at least I didn't turn back and give up, but I've seriously had enough of those dogs now, especially when I can't see through the foggy haze covering my eyes.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 65
RE: Running - 15/2/2011 9:22:09 AM   
Hobbitonlass

Oh dear Hood, not a good evening!  Great news on your 5k run on Friday though, well done!

The Parkrun on Saturday morning was very very muddy. I looked a right state when I got home

Went for a lunchtime 5k yesterday and it was lovely to get out of the office and blow away some cobwebs.  The guy I was running with was telling me about one of the other members of the running club who does 5k in 17 mins .  I'm averaging 32 mins at the moment so really want to start getting a bit faster.

Just signed up for the Watford 10k on 2nd May and have got 3 other 10ks planned in June, July and August.   Be good to start getting used to running further than 5k as well.

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 66
RE: Running - 16/2/2011 7:39:23 PM   
Hood_Man

Thanks 

I ran about 4.5k tonight.  I tried a different route that I found using the Gmaps pedometer that Daniel posted, but when I was out it was getting quite dark so I turned back after about half an hour, hoping that I wasn't turning back just before the turn around point at 2.5k that I decided upon.

Turns out I did

Still, it was nice and hilly so I got a very good workout from it (harder than the other 5k route I was using).  Just need to go that little bit further next time.

Best of all; NO DOGS!

Post #: 67
RE: Running - 17/2/2011 8:19:44 PM   
Hood_Man

Had a bit of energy to burn tonight so I went for another run (I normally leave a day in between runs), this time only 2 miles.  20 minutes 

Back to normal tomorrow though...

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 68
RE: Running - 18/2/2011 7:43:55 PM   
Hood_Man

Went out again tonight, normal 5k, normal pace.  Trouble is my ankle started hurting again, only it felt less like cramp and more like a tendon or a muscle (whichever makes more sense, I was useless at biology) being tightened and pulled.  I know that probably makes it sound like cramp, but it wasn't.

Anyway, I don't go running on weekends anyway, but does anyone recommend that I rest it?  And how long?  I know everyone's different but if anyone can give a rough estimate I'd appreciate it.

To be honest, I could probably do with some new running shoes, does anyone know of a good Running shop in Wales, or at least the West of England closer to the border, where they put you on a treadmill and see how you run etc?

I don't want to just buy a pair off the shelf, if it's the shoes that are causing the pain in my ankle I'd be happier to pay a bit more to have a trained professional examine how I run, and make recommendations and suggestions based off that.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 69
RE: Running - 18/2/2011 7:53:24 PM   
Hobbitonlass

I would certainly recommend you rest it if you have been out 3 days on the trot (so to speak!) Where is the pain? Is it in the calf, shins or back of the ankle?

Can you be a bit more specifc with your search? Don't really know Wales so is it North? South? I googled running shops in Wales and it wasn't that good to be honest.

You really need a shop that offers gait analysis and this is free in running shops as they are just concerned with you getting the rights shoes. I have no problem spending more on my shoes knowing they are right for me and I did notice a difference when I got my last pair last year. Need to start thinking about a new pair in the next couple of months so will revisit a shop to get the gait analysis re-done

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 70
RE: Running - 18/2/2011 9:20:19 PM   
Hood_Man

No worries, I know to look for Gait Analysis now, so I've got a better idea of what to look for now.  Thanks 

It's the right ankle, and it's just above the joint on the back, right hand side.

I'll rest it until Wednesday at least anyway, see how it feels during a brisk walk or something.

Post #: 71
RE: Running - 19/2/2011 10:56:43 PM   
Hood_Man

Right, feels like I've got some mild pain in my shins so I'd better stop for a week anyway.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 72
RE: Running - 19/2/2011 11:50:57 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

Hood, take it easy for a while. I had pushed myself when I shouldn't and ended up with shin problems and also my Plantar Fascia (connected to Achilles tendon) was knackered.

Not worth it mate, you could end up out action for much longer.

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 73
RE: Running - 20/2/2011 7:48:47 AM   
Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Right, feels like I've got some mild pain in my shins so I'd better stop for a week anyway.

Definitely rest for a while. Shin problems most of the time lead to problems with your calves which I suffer from quite a lot. Once it feels better try getting a sports massage, helped me out massively.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 74
RE: Running - 20/2/2011 9:27:58 AM   
HIM

Yeah I'd definitely recommend a rest. If you're worried about your fitness levels dropping it's a good idea - after a week or two of rest - to use a cross trainer if you're a member of a gym. Minimal impact but it still gives your cardio-vascular system a good workout.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 75
RE: Running - 20/2/2011 12:06:41 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Just ran my longest distance without stopping! 7.61km this morning and really chuffed

Slower than I would have liked but going to start doing some shorter speed training sessions to try and get my speed up a bit. I know I'm never going to be the fastest runner as I consider myself a bit of a plodder but would really like to get a 10km time of around an hour.

Rest well Hood!

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 76
RE: Running - 20/2/2011 11:28:47 PM   
Hood_Man

Yeah, I'm gonna stop for a fortnight I think. Thanks for the concern though guys My enthusiasm is getting the better of me I think.

Post #: 77
RE: Running - 21/2/2011 5:31:06 PM   
HIM

Don't worry about your fitness level deteriorating after a two week rest either. Whenever I have a break from exercise I always find that in the first session back I have bags of energy, like I'm a coiled up spring and that first session releases all that pent up energy. Of course I mostly always feel the pain the following day though.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 78
RE: Running - 21/2/2011 10:12:47 PM   
gingerdaniel

Resting is good, but if you haven't pulled anything, it's still a good idea to go for a walk instead of a run. Especially if you're planning on leaving it two weeks, i find that leaving that period of time without doing anything does make it a little harder when i start again. However it may be different for everyone!

Do you run? Check THIS out

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 79
RE: Running - 23/2/2011 10:54:22 AM   
benmharper

Just over 7mile this morning in 54mins. Struggled with some hills but i'm slowly getting back to how i was running before the winter.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/28675748

The link is the route i ran this morning

< Message edited by benmharper -- 23/2/2011 10:58:04 AM >

#3 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to gingerdaniel)
Post #: 80
RE: Running - 24/2/2011 10:20:17 PM   
gingerdaniel

Since my bike's up the chute at the moment i thought i'd work on my running. So i entered THIS 10K this evening.

Which makes 10K run in March
8hr run/ride in June
Triathlon in July

Where did i put my trainers?....

Do you run? Check THIS out

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 81
RE: Running - 24/2/2011 11:02:27 PM   
Hobbitonlass

So far this year I've got

2 x 10k's in May (Watford 10k and Running Club 10k)
London Bikeathon (52 miles) in June
London Asics 10k in July
Running Club 10k in August
Great North Run in September

(in reply to gingerdaniel)
Post #: 82
RE: Running - 24/2/2011 11:16:37 PM   
Rinc

Just had a look at the Asics 10k in July. I'm tempted to enter.

I want to do the Southend half marathon in June. I haven't done any proper running for a few months though, apart from the odd mile on the treadmill. So not sure if I'm going to have to push myself too much. I'm going to start running again next week and see how I do. I'm a lot fitter and stronger now from going to the gym so that should give me a good base.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

Post #: 83
RE: Running - 28/2/2011 12:24:17 PM   
Hobbitonlass

You should Rinc and then run round with your name "Rinc" on the t-shirt

I did the Park Run on Saturday morning and oh my god, it was like running through a bog!  Around the 3.5k mark it started chucking it down and I looked frightful when I finally crossed the finish line.  Having said that, I was just 5 seconds off my PB so a bit gutted as I thought I was running slower due to the mud and the rain.  If I'd known I would have tried to speed up a bit

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 84
RE: Running - 28/2/2011 6:02:29 PM   
Rinc

Will you have Hobbs on your t-shirt?

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

Post #: 85
RE: Running - 28/2/2011 10:06:34 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Absolutely!

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 86
RE: Running - 28/2/2011 10:14:33 PM   
Felix

Where is the Asics 10k? Thats about all I can manage now!

With eternal optimism I have however deferred my entry to the Brighton Marathon till next year. You never know, my knees and ankles might grow back to working order by then.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 87
RE: Running - 28/2/2011 10:19:35 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felix

Where is the Asics 10k? Thats about all I can manage now!

With eternal optimism I have however deferred my entry to the Brighton Marathon till next year. You never know, my knees and ankles might grow back to working order by then.

quote:

So far this year I've got

2 x 10k's in May (Watford 10k and Running Club 10k)
London Bikeathon (52 miles) in June
London Asics 10k in July
Running Club 10k in August
Great North Run in September

Does the word London give it away?

Ooh, we could have an Empire running team

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 88
RE: Running - 28/2/2011 11:15:38 PM   
Felix

Yeah, because London is a tiny village isnt it...

[This space for rent] -

Post #: 89
RE: Running - 1/3/2011 6:51:51 AM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

The race starts on Piccadilly at Hyde Park Corner with Wellington Arch as the backdrop, which is where a cluster of London's 5 star hotels are located which will house IOC delegates visiting London for the 2012 Olympic Games.

The British 10K route then runs down Piccadilly to the world famous Ritz hotel, turns right down St James's street to St James's Palace, the former offical london residence of H.R.H. the Prince Of Wales and Princes Harry and William. The course turns left on Pall Mall toward Trafalgar Square where runners pass Nelson's Column and the National Gallery, as well as passing in front of Admiralty Arch before proceeding down Northumberland Avenue towards the river Thames.

Runners then turn left on Victoria Embankment towards the magnificent St Paul's Cathedral before returning back along the river Thames with the classic Tower Bridge as backdrop, passing Tate Modern and the unique London Eye on the opposite bank. Upon reaching the world's most famous clock, Big Ben, the course turns left over Westminster Bridge before doing a U turn in front of the London Eye and heading back to the British Houses Of Parliament.

Runners will then pass around Parliament Square in front of the main entrance of historic Westminster Abbey, where Prince William will marry Kate Middleton on April 29th this year. Runners will then loop around Parliament Square before turning left into the finishing straight in Whitehall, which is the portal of British government. After passing the entrance to Downing Street, the official London residence of British Prime Ministers, the finish line is located north of the Cenotaph

Better?

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Running Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI