Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Running

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Running Page: <<   < prev  20 21 [22] 23 24   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Running - 8/1/2013 7:26:16 PM   
Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Super Hans

Is it the gait analysis that can help in terms of aching/hurting knees too? That's usually what kills off all of my efforts to get into running, although went out at the weekend and found that paracetemol eased the aching considerably the next day!

The correct trainers can solve a lot of problems so they could help. I had a dodgy knee this time last year (with good trainers) and used knee supports which really helped.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 631
RE: Running - 8/1/2013 8:46:53 PM   
Kami89

Anyone else lucky enough to get in to the Great North Run?

Got a confirmation earlier this morning .

Very keen on this too.

(in reply to gingerdaniel)
Post #: 632
RE: Running - 8/1/2013 10:02:04 PM   
gingerdaniel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kami89

Very keen on this too.

I GOT IN...to the normal ballot.

My bird also failed to get in on the Mirror Ballot, she sent me the link to the yorkshire marathon but i pointed out we're supposed to be in America at that time. So that one's off the cards.

She was looking at entering the New York Marathon, as a non-US human you can buy a ticket into it apparently... from what i've seen it's expensive!

Do you run? Check THIS out

(in reply to Kami89)
Post #: 633
RE: Running - 9/1/2013 11:57:20 AM   
KnightofZyryab

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: KnightofZyryab

my feet hurt a lot and I had to stop a few times

That could be for a variety of reasons I don't know about but if you do nothing else, make sure you have your gait analysis done (free at any running shop or Nike store) and get the right trainers for running. You will be amazed at the difference this makes It is always skimping on the clothing and spending more on trainers!

Thanks for the advice - never really been aware of this before now. I've actually been running in my old tennis trainers which are quite comfortable but perhaps I should invest in some proper running shoes, for the first time incredibly, since I've always been athletic, but the trainers I buy are usually sport specific. Not entirely sure why my feet hurt but pretty sure it's weight related (I'm about 8 llbs over the weight I believe I should be) but I remember even two years ago when I was a stone lighter having my feet go numb while running non stop, which was a little worrying. But I'm sure once I get lighter it will hurt less. In addition to that I've got a weak back which freezes up meaning I have to stop running after about a km and then resume again, but apart from that I'm pretty healthy!

Just a question about pedometers - I haven't had a chance to properly measure my stride length so I can work out how far I am running totally accurately, but roughly speaking does anyone know what the average stride length is for someone around 5"8? I've put it around 70cm, but was wondering if there was like a chart with stride length x height somewhere?

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 634
RE: Running - 9/1/2013 12:10:04 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: KnightofZyryab
Thanks for the advice - never really been aware of this before now. I've actually been running in my old tennis trainers which are quite comfortable but perhaps I should invest in some proper running shoes,

YES! If you have the gait analysis done and get the right trainers you'll be surprised at the difference. Running in tennis shoes is a no no!

I've had my feet go numb before when running a lot but never been too worried (I put it down to having the laces too tight on occasion ) as it always goes away quickly.

Not sure about the stride length though as I never bother to calibrate any app I am using

< Message edited by Hobbitonlass -- 9/1/2013 12:12:42 PM >

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to KnightofZyryab)
Post #: 635
RE: Running - 9/1/2013 3:41:45 PM   
benmharper

quote:

I'm in the Great North run. It'll be my 3rd time. Always a great day.

quote:

It's driving me mad not being able to get out there!!

4 months since I last ran properly. I'm going to physio again next week, and I'm still awaiting an MRI appointment. My chances of doing either of the 2 marathons I entered are looking very slim indeed.

On the + side, after being on the exercise bike last week i stretched my thigh and it was the first time in 4 months that I've managed to get my heel all the way to my backside. So there is some improvement in the knee.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Super Hans

Is it the gait analysis that can help in terms of aching/hurting knees too? That's usually what kills off all of my efforts to get into running, although went out at the weekend and found that paracetemol eased the aching considerably the next day!

Could be, your knees could be taking a lot of strain due to it. It's definitely worth getting done

#3 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to Kami89)
Post #: 636
RE: Running - 12/1/2013 8:19:30 PM   
benmharper

Had my knee MRI today. Those things are bloody noisy aren't they?
Just got to wait for the results now

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 637
RE: Running - 20/1/2013 8:44:09 AM   
Hobbitonlass

When are you expecting the results Ben? Hope you manage to get it sorted

I actually made it along to my local parkrun and really glad that I did as it was beautiful. I was hard work as well as running on perfect snow rather than ice. Bit like running on sand at times!

Walking to the start

About half way round

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 638
RE: Running - 21/1/2013 10:50:07 PM   
Kami89

I was just about to post in this thread to see if anyone has managed to get out for a run this weekend in the snow.

This was my view for 13 miles on Saturday.

I certainly can second the comment about it feeling like running on sand, surprised I managed to get 17 miles out of my legs.

Post #: 639
RE: Running - 23/1/2013 3:53:04 PM   
benmharper

quote:

When are you expecting the results Ben? Hope you manage to get it sorted

Got them today, small tear in the cartlidge. Operation required to repair so now just have to wait to hear from consultant

Edit. Great looking runs. I'd love a run in the snow

< Message edited by benmharper -- 23/1/2013 3:55:56 PM >

Post #: 640
RE: Running - 13/2/2013 8:20:41 AM   
gingerdaniel

I got into the Great North Run, my girlfriend didn't, she's quite pissed off!

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 641
RE: Running - 13/2/2013 9:29:56 AM   
Hobbitonlass

I got in to the Royal Parks half marathon, the rest of the running club I go to didn't

Post #: 642
RE: Running - 13/2/2013 8:34:34 PM   
gingerdaniel

She got into the RideLondon 100, which i didn't :(

So we've both entered our missed events via the stroke association, we're aiming to raise 1000 this year by doing lots of events, signed up for the marwell 10k already. Got to look into more runs/rides!

I've already had a cunning plan to make and sell cakes themed on the event...

Post #: 643
RE: Running - 16/2/2013 9:56:36 PM   
Kami89

I thought about entering the ballot for the Royal Parks, but was put off by the steep price.

Got a 30k run tomorrow at Stamford, should be a good eye opener for how my training stands for the London Marathon

Post #: 644
RE: Running - 27/2/2013 12:46:27 PM   
Skiba

To Mo Farah: Have you run before?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/feb/26/mo-farah-new-orleans-interview

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to Kami89)
Post #: 645
RE: Running - 27/2/2013 1:14:21 PM   
Hobbitonlass

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 646
RE: Running - 28/2/2013 1:41:16 AM   
SWOTBM

Went out for a run earlier today- I much prefer running in the cold as opposed to warm conditions. It feels fresh and keeps me focused (plus I know that if I stop I'll freeze my ass off ). Does anyone know if you lose more calories running in warm/cold weather?

I've been building up my stamina by gradually increasing the distance of my runs. Maxed out at 4.75miles today which I was pretty proud of. And that including two massive/steep hills as well. I think I'm going to try and get my time down (49.36mins) on this route before increasing my distance any further.

Out of interest- how fast do you guys think you could run 4.75 miles. Just so I know what I'm up against Don't forget, that including TWO MASSIVE HILLS

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

Post #: 647
RE: Running - 28/2/2013 10:19:05 AM   
Hobbitonlass

Seems to be 2 schools of thought

quote:

1) People Who Think They Burn More Calories When Exercising In Hot Weather
- More than 70 percent of the energy used by your muscles during workout is lost as heat. So, your muscles are warmer when you exercise hard. Your heart needs to pump the hot blood from your heated muscles to your skin so that hear can be dissipated. The hotter it is, the more work your heart has to do. So, more calories are burnt.
- Also, this camp of people uses hot yoga classes as one of the supporting claims that exercising in hot environment will burn more calories and therefore losing weight.

2) People Who Think They Burn More Calories When Exercising In Cold Weather
- This group of people believe that when one is shivering during the exercise in cold weather, he will burn more calories. Bear in mind that shivering is an involuntary clenching of muscles and its purpose is to warm you up. Apart from that, some energy is required to heat the air entering the lungs when you breathe.
- In addition to shivering, when you have to run and rub your hands together, you end up burning more calories. Also, more calories will be burnt if the exercisers wear bulky clothing.

I do like running in cold weather but not when it is wet and windy as well!! Feb as been a bit of a slow month for me running wise, I've done more gym classes but hoping to get right back in to running outside in March!
Having said that, I love running really early in the morning so in the summer it is perfect as lovely running as the sun is just up in cool conditions.

I tend to run around a 10 min mile or just below so around 45-50 mins (I work in km and normally do a 10k (6.2miles) in an hour but hoping to smash that this year!!

Hill running is great work and will help when running a flat course.

< Message edited by Hobbitonlass -- 28/2/2013 10:26:19 AM >

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 648
RE: Running - 3/3/2013 7:23:05 AM   
gingerdaniel

I'm aiming for 8minute miles,

This is my last longer run: http://app.strava.com/activities/42080549 which if you look at the profile you can see it also hilly. Southampton is very hilly!

In answer to your 4.7mile question, i'd have to work it out, but my morning 4mile route takes 30-33mins.

< Message edited by gingerdaniel -- 3/3/2013 7:25:45 AM >

Post #: 649
RE: Running - 4/3/2013 1:17:28 PM   
benmharper

2 weeks to go until I see surgeon about my knee. Hopefully not much longer until its fixed.

Post #: 650
RE: Running - 5/3/2013 8:06:28 PM   
Kami89

So it turns out not only did I beat my Half Marathon PB, that I'd only just set last week, this weekend at Silverstone but I (#9787) beat Iwan Thomas in the process too.

Post #: 651
RE: Running - 5/3/2013 9:55:30 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Well done! (think he's saying blah blah blah ) Iwan Thomas does look like he's caning it there though

A couple of my mates did Silverstone and got PB's as well! They did say it got really boring in places though. Not one I'd fancy doing tbh.

(in reply to Kami89)
Post #: 652
RE: Running - 6/3/2013 11:14:01 AM   
benmharper

quote:

So it turns out not only did I beat my Half Marathon PB, that I'd only just set last week, this weekend at Silverstone but I (#9787) beat Iwan Thomas in the process too.

Good going, did you know it was him at the time and sprint past him or just a great photo.

< Message edited by benmharper -- 6/3/2013 9:33:17 PM >

(in reply to Kami89)
Post #: 653
RE: Running - 9/3/2013 11:35:42 AM   
gingerdaniel

Is that you 110? Your back leg looks weird!

I did a parkrun this morning for the first time in a while, i didn't know it was a fancy dress one, they were fundraising for comic relief apparently. Nearly puked my guts up at the end, i've been hitting the bike recently because of an event last weekend and i've been neglecting the runs. Need to get back on it for a 10k on the 24th!

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 654
RE: Running - 9/3/2013 4:33:23 PM   
SWOTBM

Been sticking with my 4.75m route. I went slower on Tuesday at 51mins, but today I managed to get it down to 48.24mins. I think there were two (possibly three) reasons why I managed to get the time down; I took a bottle of water with me, put a drop of olbas oil on my t-shirt and possibly that it was colder today Whether or not they did make any difference, I do feel as though my stamina is increasing. I just love the feeling of getting to the top of a massive hill, gasping for breath, then seeing the flat/downhill and realising that I can carrying on going

'Grats on the half marathon PB too

Btw, thanks for the times guys

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

Post #: 655
RE: Running - 9/3/2013 8:51:56 PM   
benmharper

quote:

ORIGINAL: SWOTBM]

Btw, thanks for the times guys

Missed that bit

I have a 4.6mile run (quite hilly) near me that I was doing in anything from 35-40mins before I got injured. 10km times ranging from 43-46 mins.

Your stamina will defo be improving and soon you'll be looking for more hills to run up.

< Message edited by benmharper -- 9/3/2013 8:53:21 PM >

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 656
RE: Running - 9/3/2013 9:32:19 PM   
ChickMagnet

So as a target to keep my fitness thing up, I've signed up for a 5k in November, which granted as I've previously done the Great North Run twice shouldn't be a big deal, except I had a big injury in the knee last year where my tendons where in the wrong place, plus I've put a fair bit of weight on since then, needless to say I'm already crapping it a bit, but seeing as its a run for Mo-Vember where the medal has a moustache, I'm also bloody excited!

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 657
RE: Running - 11/3/2013 8:34:10 PM   
Kami89

quote:

ORIGINAL: benmharper

quote:

Good going, did you know it was him at the time and sprint past him or just a great photo.

I had no idea he was even running the race, just happened to see a photo of him on the Silverstone Facebook page and saw myself in the background, checked up the times and saw that I beat him by 30 seconds.

quote:

ORIGINAL: gingerdaniel

Is that you 110? Your back leg looks weird!

No, I'm the guy in the white Eczema Society vest (#9787)

Post #: 658
RE: Running - 13/3/2013 6:18:43 PM   
gingerdaniel

Oh right, you're the guy that farted... Looking at 110's face anyway

(in reply to Kami89)
Post #: 659
RE: Running - 19/3/2013 4:58:51 PM   
benmharper

Just been for the consultancy on my knee. Turns out the doctor and physio were wrong and my ligament is torn. Meaning a bigger operation than planned and no running for 6-12months. It's already taken 7month to get this far.

Bollocks

It looks like no GNR for me this year either.

(in reply to ChickMagnet)
Post #: 660
Page:   <<   < prev  20 21 [22] 23 24   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Running Page: <<   < prev  20 21 [22] 23 24   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI