Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Running

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Running Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Running - 6/1/2011 9:36:16 PM   
Rinc

I love running in the cold and the rain. Much better than when the weather's nice.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 31
RE: Running - 7/1/2011 2:22:49 AM   
Hood_Man

Me too. I have to confess, it doesn't just keep me cool but it also makes me feel like I'm taking part in a Rocky training montage

Granted I wrap up warmly in jogging trousers, hooded top, a jacket, a woolly hat and gloves, but if I was wearing shorts and a football shirt I'd be out the door 2 seconds before running back inside and shivering in front of the radiator.

In the summer it's awful, I can barely keep going some evenings because of the heat.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 32
RE: Running - 7/1/2011 6:48:35 AM   
Rinc

Running through the pouring rain makes me feel like a man!

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 33
RE: Running - 7/1/2011 9:12:29 AM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

Am I the only fucker that enjoys running when it's brass monkey's outside?

After buying a hat and gloves I can say that I really enjoyed running outside in December just before the snow hit us. It was a beautiful sunny morning and was really quite hot when I got back (and before anybody mentions it, yes I did have other gear on as well.....)

I'm cat sitting for my cousin at the moment so staying in Ham (next to Richmond) and there's bloody runners everywhere as it is perfect running terrain. On Wednesday I went out in the sunshine and along the river Thames. Haven't plucked up the courage to run Richmond Park yet as it's fairly hilly but planning on it next week. Much better than running the chanv ridden area I live in (last time I went out one chav thought it hilarious to run with me for a bit, put me off running round my area )

Edit: Just entered the ballot for the Great North Run.........

< Message edited by Hobbitonlass -- 7/1/2011 10:10:46 AM >

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 34
RE: Running - 16/1/2011 6:18:08 PM   
benmharper

quote:

Am I the only fucker that enjoys running when it's brass monkey's outside?

I like running in the cold and rain, its the wind that pisses me off, it feels like your going nowhere.

I was running well before all the snow/ice started in december but have hardly been out since. Managed 45mins (just over 5mile) on treadmill yesterday but its just mindnumbing

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

After buying a hat and gloves I can say that I really enjoyed running outside in December just before the snow hit us. It was a beautiful sunny morning and was really quite hot when I got back (and before anybody mentions it, yes I did have other gear on as well.....)

I'm cat sitting for my cousin at the moment so staying in Ham (next to Richmond) and there's bloody runners everywhere as it is perfect running terrain. On Wednesday I went out in the sunshine and along the river Thames. Haven't plucked up the courage to run Richmond Park yet as it's fairly hilly but planning on it next week. Much better than running the chanv ridden area I live in (last time I went out one chav thought it hilarious to run with me for a bit, put me off running round my area )

Edit: Just entered the ballot for the Great North Run.........

They seem to find that hilarious don't they, i've had that a few times

I've been accepted to great north run for the next 3 years after doing my first last year

#3 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 35
RE: Running - 16/1/2011 6:25:26 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

I went out Saturday morning fairly early, about half eight. It was frakking frezzing and the wind was practically gale force, I hated every step. I was knackered so didn;t go out this morning and lo and behold it was a cracking morning

Whatever about the conditions I LOVE running early morning, much rather that than the afternoon.

< Message edited by Keyser Sozzled -- 16/1/2011 6:26:05 PM >

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 36
RE: Running - 20/1/2011 3:44:49 PM   
gingerdaniel

I went out for a run yesterday after no exercise over christmas, it was HARD, it was only a 3 km jog and i nearly died. Need to get back on it!
Went out for a bike ride this morning and did 27 miles in 2.5 hours which is ok, now i'm feeling sleepy...

I'm thinking about entering the Hell Rider later in the year with some friends, if i enter then i've got something to train towards. Which i think i need.

A friend wants to do a triathlon near windsor in july but it includes 800m swim in open water, which sounds a lot, as it's 32 lengths of a normal pool.

Do you run? Check THIS out

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 37
RE: Running - 20/1/2011 3:52:36 PM   
Hobbitonlass

I did part of the bike route for the Windsor triathlon as part of the Richmond to Windsor bike ride last year

I don't mind running in the cold or the rain but wind (and I mean really windy) is a no no!  So, haven't been out for a week.  Determined to do my first Parkrun this coming Saturday though   Joined the works Running club as well and they go out and do 5km runs and training/coaching on a Monday lunchtime so will be better than sitting at my desk eating.

Got rejected from the initial 3,000 places ballot for the Great North Run so am now in the general ballot that is drawn on 7th Feb.  I realised that the Med cruise I am looking at booking is the week before the GNR so I'll have to practice by running round the boat

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to gingerdaniel)
Post #: 38
RE: Running - 20/1/2011 4:28:58 PM   
Beno

Have started running as i intend to do a half marathon in May.

Went to the GP and he said i had the heart and blood pressure of a man half my age which was good to hear ...... wish my legs were the same ...... i'm in all kinds of pain.

I'm doing it to raise funds for Motor Neurone's Association - a form of which my Daughter is a sufferer of.

To be honest i cant wait to do it.

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

Post #: 39
RE: Running - 21/1/2011 4:56:06 PM   
benmharper

Went out yesterday morning in glorious sunshine and blue skies. It was freezing cold and a little slippy in parts but great running conditions other than that.
I managed 4.6miles in 36mins and i'm considering a half-marathon in march in the Lake district. The hills are putting me off

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 40
RE: Running - 21/1/2011 5:18:41 PM   
Hood_Man

I haven't been out running in weeks...

I WILL start again on Monday, I WILL start again on Monday, I WILL...

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 41
RE: Running - 22/1/2011 10:54:18 AM   
Hobbitonlass

Completed my first Parkrun this morning

Definitely helps running with other people as did the 5km in 34 mins which is faster than when I was on my own. Goal is to get it to 30 mins or less. It was bloody freezing and a bit muddy but there were over 200 people there so a great atmosphere. Definitely going to make this a regular on a Sat morning!

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 42
RE: Running - 22/1/2011 12:44:29 PM   
Rinc

Had a bit of a hangover earlier but went to the gym did some cross training, bike, resistance and finally did a mile on the treadmill. Did the mile in 9 mins which wasn't too bad considering I was knackered. Hangover gone!

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

Post #: 43
RE: Running - 22/1/2011 11:23:43 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

I haven't really looked after my health in the last few years. But I started last week back proper. This week I have covered 27kms which I personally am fuckin deligthed with. Its the most I have done on a consistent basis. I even got my fat arse out of bed this morning!

I have also laid off the booze for the last few weeks, I admit i had a few beers today/tonight cos I was out watching the match but it's such a good feeling. Even when you are havnig a beer you feel like you earned it.!

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 44
RE: Running - 25/1/2011 9:46:53 PM   
gingerdaniel

Ran too fast today, pulled something in my leg. Brilliant.

1 rest day then on the bike for a bit i think!

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 45
RE: Running - 26/1/2011 7:49:46 PM   
Hood_Man

Just back from a long run around town, I haven't run that far since before I went to uni (and it bloody feels like it too!), but damn does it feel satisfying

Post #: 46
RE: Running - 26/1/2011 10:18:41 PM   
Hood_Man

Turns out my route is about 5 kilometres.  Took me about an hour but it's the first time I've run that distance in a while.

I've just plotted a route on Google Earth that would be 10k.  After seeing it like that, it's scary

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 47
RE: Running - 26/1/2011 10:28:33 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Well done! Bit too cold and windy for me today

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 48
RE: Running - 27/1/2011 9:21:24 AM   
MOTH

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: MOTH

hate long distance running - had to do it every Feb/March in pre-season training for football and i despised it, not least because it was in the cold and wet and mud, and because I have stumpy little legs.

Pre-season training in Feb/March? Are you in Scandinavia or something Moth. I'd love to have run in such cold conditions for pre-season training. Long distance running and sprinting are an utter bitch at the height of the summer...

Gaelic football training - season runs from April - October, give or take, which is (was) great cos you got to play matches during the nice weather, when all the stamina training paid off.
Then again, the "height of the summer" you mention would suggest it's actually hot then - it's not really much of an issue on the Emerald Isle - last year summer was on a Tuesday, so football matches, training, weddings and funerals were called off so people could enjoy it.

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 49
RE: Running - 27/1/2011 10:59:57 AM   
gingerdaniel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Turns out my route is about 5 kilometres. Took me about an hour but it's the first time I've run that distance in a while.

I've just plotted a route on Google Earth that would be 10k. After seeing it like that, it's scary

Now with sweatbands...

I don't know about you, but i use www.gmap-pedometer.com to plan routes out, you can put manual lines in for shortcuts etc.

Also, i downloaded the adidas micoach for my iphone, which also tracks what i've done.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 50
RE: Running - 27/1/2011 12:02:04 PM   
Hobbitonlass

I always use Gmaps Pedometer to sort my routes out.

I also love my Nike+ GPS on my iPhone.  No need for a gadget to go in my shoes (even though I have one  )

I also use the Good Run Guide to log my runs and it seems to have useful articles on it   I thought at 10 per year it was a bargain.

Post #: 51
RE: Running - 30/1/2011 11:18:00 AM   
Keyser Sozzled

My standard route is 6kms. I was going to the gym most mornings and doing the same distance on the treadmill but I have to give up the parking space so it's back to outdoors only, which is going to be difficult becuase I don't get home from work until about 7pm and trying to motivate myself having been out of the house for 13 hours is going to be tough....

On anither note I went out yesterday morning, again biting cold, and had the Rocky soundtrack on my Ipod, cheesy as fuck but really gets you going

Post #: 52
RE: Running - 31/1/2011 10:10:55 AM   
Hobbitonlass

I did my second Parkrun on Saturday and knocked off 1 min and 25 secs of my time!  Got my 5k run down to 31:52.  Did feel it afterwards though.  Must have been because it was so cold, I wanted to finish it quicker

Got my first work running club session at lunchtime today. 

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 53
RE: Running - 9/2/2011 12:18:27 PM   
benmharper

I did 4miles in 29mins29secs this morning. Rained the whole time but only a slight wind in my face on the last mile or so.

I use a garmin forerunner wrist watch sat-nav thing to track how far/fast/slow i'm going. 

Post #: 54
RE: Running - 9/2/2011 12:21:45 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Is that the 405X Ben?  I've been looking at that one.  I could use the same heart strap as I currently use with my Garmin bike computer

Joined the works running club last week and just got back from a meeting to find a mail from another member of the running club asking if I wanted to go for a lunchtime 5k.  I knew there was a reason I brought my running gear in this morning

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 55
RE: Running - 9/2/2011 12:35:11 PM   
benmharper

quote:

Is that the 405X Ben?  I've been looking at that one.  I could use the same heart strap as I currently use with my Garmin bike computer

Joined the works running club last week and just got back from a meeting to find a mail from another member of the running club asking if I wanted to go for a lunchtime 5k.  I knew there was a reason I brought my running gear in this morning

I've got the forerunner 305. It comes with a heart-rate strap. I got that one as it was cheaper than the 405 and i'd borrowed a 305 from a mate at work whilst training for the great north run last year. Its great, easy to use and you can set the screen to show any info you want. I have it set to show time, distance, heart rate and avg pace.

Enjoy your lunch time run

< Message edited by benmharper -- 9/2/2011 12:38:56 PM >

Post #: 56
RE: Running - 9/2/2011 12:54:11 PM   
Hobbitonlass

I had a go of the 405X and I liked the little man that you get if you redo a run that you have already logged.  Shows if you are going faster or slower

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 57
RE: Running - 10/2/2011 3:56:27 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Just got a place in the Great North Run   

Bollocks, have to start running further than 5k now then   Got a couple of 10k's lined up in May and June.

Post #: 58
RE: Running - 10/2/2011 4:22:13 PM   
Twisted Kitty

quote:

Bollocks, have to start running further than 5k now then   Got a couple of 10k's lined up in May and June.

At least you wont need a duvet in May/June

"I have a terrible headache, and a sudden craving for chicken wings"

Post #: 59
RE: Running - 10/2/2011 4:23:48 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twisted Kitty

quote:

At least you wont need a duvet in May/June

True true!  I might do though in Sept when the GNR is so look out for me

(in reply to Twisted Kitty)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Running Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI