Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Running

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Running Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Running - 24/5/2012 3:27:45 PM   
Hobbitonlass

That's the one I've got, not the 310

The thing I like about that one is you can race against the little man (although that does mean looking at the screen more).

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 541
RE: Running - 26/5/2012 4:59:21 PM   
SWOTBM

Jeez 100+ Part of the reason I went back to running was that there are no membership fees Something to look at perhaps when I have built up my stamina some more.

Went out for another run today, so refreshing having a nice cold shower after going out for a run on a day like this

Btw, does anyone have any tips on training regimes to increase stamina/endurance? I started out seeing how far I could run, run that distance for a couple of days until I am comfortable with it and then increase the distance. Rinse and repeat. Works pretty well, but I really want one of those shiny watches to tell me how well I am doing

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 542
RE: Running - 26/5/2012 7:14:53 PM   
benmharper

Tbh, that's all I did when I started. I used a treadmill until I could run none stop for 30mins then started on the road. A 3mile route until I was running it comfortably then upped the distance slightly or tried to up the pace.

KirKcudbright half marathon today, finished in 1hr 46mins. That's my slowest half marathon time (I've done 5) but very pleasing considering how hot, windy and hilly (especially from mile 4to 9) the course was.

#3 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 543
RE: Running - 26/5/2012 7:47:45 PM   
Hobbitonlass

I said it in the other thread Ben and I'll say it again here at doing a half marathon in this heat! Well done.

SWOT, sounds sensible what you're doing. Run a distance, get used to running that distance for a bit and then increase but increase slowly. Don't increase the distance a lot as that's where the injuries tend to start. They (running experts) recommend no more than 10% increase at a time.

I've drunk over 3 litres today, that should do for tomorrow (I hope!)

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 544
RE: Running - 27/5/2012 1:05:51 PM   
benmharper

Good luck Hobbsy

It's Edinburgh marathon today, I feel sorry for those doing it

Post #: 545
RE: Running - 27/5/2012 2:06:28 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Bugger me that was hard work!!

I think it was around 1 hr 4 mins but will see what the official time says. I was well hydrated (drank about 3 litres yesterday and 1 litre this morning beforehand but still needed a fair bit on the course) but there was a good number that weren't and saw people collapsed on the roadside, silly people!

Mo Farah won but was 1 min slower than his previous time at just over 29 mins so must have been hot! Great seeing him run past but not when he was at the 7km mark and I was only coming up to 3!

Roll on the British 10k!

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 546
RE: Running - 27/5/2012 3:52:53 PM   
SWOTBM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

Bugger me that was hard work!!

I think it was around 1 hr 4 mins but will see what the official time says. I was well hydrated (drank about 3 litres yesterday and 1 litre this morning beforehand but still needed a fair bit on the course) but there was a good number that weren't and saw people collapsed on the roadside, silly people!

Mo Farah won but was 1 min slower than his previous time at just over 29 mins so must have been hot! Great seeing him run past but not when he was at the 7km mark and I was only coming up to 3!

Roll on the British 10k!

If I may ask, how long has everyone been running for? Just so I know how much of a headstart you guy/girls have

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

Post #: 547
RE: Running - 27/5/2012 4:03:48 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Thanks

How long? 2 and a half years but the first year was very sporadic so don't count it really. Only started running properly last year when I started doing the parkrun on a Sat! Main driver was to keep myself stopped smoking

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 548
RE: Running - 27/5/2012 4:20:39 PM   
Rinc

Well done Hobbs. I don't know how you ran in this heat.

I've been running about 4 years now. Although I'm very lazy and don't run as much as I should. Earlier this year I said that after the marathon I was going to concentrate on shorter distances and wanted to get my mile and 5k times right down. But apart from the odd mile on the treadmill I haven't done any running for a month and I don't really want to! Instead I've been in the gym trying to get my puny muscles bigger and I'd love to get a six (or probably just definition) before my 30th in September. But yesterday I found out I've got tendonitis in my shoulder so looks like I might have to go back to running as I'm off the weights for the forseeable future.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

Post #: 549
RE: Running - 27/5/2012 5:57:24 PM   
benmharper

quote:

ORIGINAL: SWOTBM

If I may ask, how long has everyone been running for? Just so I know how much of a headstart you guy/girls have

I've been running consistently for about 3-4 years, before that it was football all the time so that gave me a decent base to start off from. I did my first proper, organised run in 2009. I did a local 10k and loved it so stuck with it.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 550
RE: Running - 30/5/2012 11:20:30 AM   
Rob

Good work on the 10k Hobbsy

quote:

ORIGINAL: SWOTBM

I've been doing it fairly consistently for about 2.5 years now. I played quite a bit of rugby until the end of Uni and then basically did zero exercise and unsurprisingly became a fat bastard. Just decided it was time to get fit and found myself really enjoying it. I'd previously thought of running as just a means to an end and not an appealing sport in itself but it can be hugely rewarding...and also frustrating!

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 551
RE: Running - 30/5/2012 1:45:36 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

That's the one I've got, not the 310

The thing I like about that one is you can race against the little man (although that does mean looking at the screen more).

Do you know if all the Forerunner watches work well when cycling?  I know someone at work uses a 405 when cycling (just for GPS time/distance stuff rather than cadence) but was wondering if the cheaper 110 or 210 might work just as well, even though they're not compatible with the cadence monitor...

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

Post #: 552
RE: Running - 30/5/2012 10:01:57 PM   
Hobbitonlass

I have used the 305 on the bike but have got a Garmin Edge now for the bike (bit of a gadget whore ). I think with the 110 and 210 you get speed and distance (and heart rate if you have the belt) but not cadence.

quote:

Unlike the Forerunner 410, the Forerunner 210 is not compatible with bike cadence sensors which makes the watch more suitable to purely runners, although you can get speed, distance and heart rate data while cycling so it is still pretty useful, just not the cadence.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 553
RE: Running - 4/6/2012 12:52:01 PM   
gingerdaniel

I just signed up for THIS

Should be good! Although i'm not sure how to train for it!

Do you run? Check THIS out

(in reply to gingerdaniel)
Post #: 554
RE: Running - 4/6/2012 12:57:22 PM   
Third Eye

quote:

ORIGINAL: gingerdaniel

I just signed up for THIS

Should be good! Although i'm not sure how to train for it!

That looks amazing. Good luck for that one.

The pitch-black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light.

And thus, the saga begins.....

Twitter: oli2033

Post #: 555
RE: Running - 4/6/2012 9:03:50 PM   
gingerdaniel

Cheers, most expensive event i've entered so far.... 57!!! for a 10k run! The last 10k cost me 12

(in reply to Third Eye)
Post #: 556
RE: Running - 4/6/2012 9:27:15 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Which one are you doing? I'm doing London

Post #: 557
RE: Running - 5/6/2012 9:02:11 AM   
gingerdaniel

Yea London as it's the closest, 1pm wave

Post #: 558
RE: Running - 7/6/2012 10:41:09 AM   
benmharper

Assault course things like that look far too hard for my liking. It's hard enough going in a straight line never mind going over and under things. Good luck with it though

I did the local tri club 10k last night. My quickest time round that course, but most pleasing was getting round it without feeling terrible and wanting to stop like in the previous 2 years. The winning time was 31mins, I still had 2 and a bit mile to go when he finished

Post #: 559
RE: Running - 7/6/2012 10:58:56 AM   
Hobbitonlass

Last night we had the Nike Run club Jubilee run and we went round Westminster, St James Park and down the Mall. It was great fun

I'm front row, third from left next to the guy in the red bib

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 560
RE: Running - 8/6/2012 11:36:26 AM   
Rob

How long was the route Hobbsy?

By the way does anyone here use Nike +? They've updated the website but they are clearly having a few teething problems. My stats are all over the place. Apparently my best 5km is 15:45. Pretty happy with that considering before the update I was clocking in at 21:11.

I hope that it gets sorted though as I find it really useful to keep track of my progress.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Post #: 561
RE: Running - 8/6/2012 11:57:50 AM   
Hobbitonlass

It was only a 5k Rob. Normally on a Weds they run 5k, 7k and 10k routes depending on what people want to do but this week was a fun one for people to all stick together

I use the Nike+ site and am loving the new look. So far my stats seem to be fine, although my friends are missing (I do like to see who's been out for a run as it can motivate me to get out there as well and some back stats but guess they are in the process of migrating stuff across still and will take a little while! It's been a long time coming though as the old site was rubbish (I've been using the new look for a while though by going in to Maps Beta on the old site) and it's got rid of flash and now using html5. It's also coinciding with the launch of the Fuel band so everything has fuel points on it. Shame the challenges are going to take a while to launch as I liked setting a challenge

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 562
RE: Running - 8/6/2012 3:34:56 PM   
Rob

Thanks Hobbsy. Sounds like a great route actually.

Hopefully Nike will sound out the friend feed pretty quickly. It's a really useful motivator.

Post #: 563
RE: Running - 9/6/2012 5:45:40 PM   
Rinc

This afternoon I went for my first run since the marathon. Fuck me I was tired and my pace was all over the place! Went out too fast and I was knackered after a mile. That's in part down to sitting on a sofa for the last 4 days doing nothing but work and for doing hardly any cardio/gym work in the last 3 weeks.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 564
RE: Running - 4/7/2012 8:19:35 PM   
Rinc

Went on my first run tonight since the post above. Haven't been going to the gym either because of my tendonitis and I've been extremely busy at work and watching football. Anyway we've got a staff triathlon in a couple of weeks in the school gym. Teams of 3 which each one doing an event in a time trial. I'm down for the running and have to do 1500m. Not too hard although I'm not a short distance runner and people are talking me up because I've done the marathon (they seem to forget there's an enormous difference between 1500m and 42195m! )

So went for a mile tonight and did it in 6.21 which I was really pleased with. A lot faster than I thought I'd do as I haven't trained lately. I'll get that below 6mins in the next two weeks and then on the treadmill it's a bi easier so I'm aiming for something in the low 5s.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 565
RE: Running - 8/7/2012 7:50:20 PM   
clownfoot

British 10k this morning which I completed in 50 minutes. Quite happy with that considering only two and half weeks training. Although, I did feel most of the run was spent dodging past walkers than actual proper running. How did everybody else do?

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 566
RE: Running - 17/7/2012 10:31:36 AM   
MBeard

I think it's time for me to start running again - I finished a second 10k of the year and haven't ran since (bar one lone 5k I did to see how I felt!).

Any of you guys going to try out the Nike Fuelband?

PM me for Xbox Live Details!

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 567
RE: Running - 17/7/2012 12:35:55 PM   
pocketrocket

Looks a bit gimmicky and at a 170 a pop a tad expensive. Better off buying a decent gps watch.

"A life Jmmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for the moments that never come." Lester Freamon

(in reply to MBeard)
Post #: 568
RE: Running - 17/7/2012 12:48:10 PM   
Rob

quote:

ORIGINAL: MBeard

I think it's time for me to start running again - I finished a second 10k of the year and haven't ran since (bar one lone 5k I did to see how I felt!).

I was sorely tempted and still might be persuaded but I'm not sure it will really motivate any more than just using Nike + for my runs. I know that it records all movement throughout the day but it seems a bit gimmicky. Also one of my colleagues has one and never wears / uses it.

That said, I love stats, I love gadgets and I love Nike so I'll probably be sporting one by the end of the year!

(in reply to MBeard)
Post #: 569
RE: Running - 17/7/2012 1:21:50 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: MBeard

Being the Nike whore that I am I got one last week   Have got a bit obsessed with checking it but it has certainly made me more active during the working day where I was just sitting on my arse at my desk.  I make a more concerted effort to go out at lunchtime (weather permitting) for a walk!  Quite a few of the guys at the run club have them so there is a fair bit of competitiveness seeing who can top the leaderboard for fuel points   Haven't yet slept in it to see how active I am (I know people that do!)

Clowny, see my (semi) rant in the charity thread about the British 10k

(in reply to MBeard)
Post #: 570
Page:   <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Running Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI