Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Running

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Running Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Running - 23/2/2012 7:46:39 PM   
LEEJGM

I've been running on occasions over the last couple of years. I originally, at 28 and a rather muscular but certainly flabby 17st 8lbs struggled to complete a mile.
I went on a bit of a weight loss spell and got down to 15st 10lbs, with a body fat percentage of 15%. I wanted to get down to 15st but struggled to lose those final 10lbs. I worked up my distance each time and managed to complete 10 miles of road running within about 3 months. All was looking good.
Unfortunately. after a change in job (meaning longer hours and later finishing) and another kid and my wife having a multitude of pre and post pregancy health problems , things have since fallen flat.
I still run when I can but I've put a stone back on again over the last year and a half. Surprisingly to myself,I am still able to run 10 miles without stopping though and usually run an 8 mile course in around 80 mins. It's not great, it's not as good as I was doing before but it's something.
Anyway, I'm back on the weight loss trail and aiming to run 3 times a week.
My goal is to run home from work one evening, which is from Elstree to Stevenage, It won't be a straight line so it'll be around 30 miles. I'd like to get sponsorship and raise funds for the Endometriosis Association. Although, I'm clearly a long way off being capable of that distance at the moment.
Anyway, I just thought I'd share that with you all. Off for the second run of the week shortly. If you're in Stevenage, I'll be the chunky bloke in the 'Han Shot FIrst' T-shirt huffing and puffing through Great Ashby.

Happy jogging!

< Message edited by LEEJGM -- 23/2/2012 7:51:01 PM >

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 451
RE: Running - 23/2/2012 10:13:56 PM   
gingerdaniel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Any ideas for blister treatments? They're not really big enough to pop, but they're small and white and they hurt.

Compeed, amazing stuff, i dont get alot of blisters, but i still keep a load in the house!

Do you run? Check THIS out

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 452
RE: Running - 24/2/2012 7:31:45 AM   
benmharper

quote:

ORIGINAL: gingerdaniel

quote:

Any ideas for blister treatments? They're not really big enough to pop, but they're small and white and they hurt.

Compeed, amazing stuff, i dont get alot of blisters, but i still keep a load in the house!

I just use Vaseline. Heels and balls of the feet, especially before a long run

#3 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to gingerdaniel)
Post #: 453
RE: Running - 24/2/2012 1:37:54 PM   
gingerdaniel

I haven't been for a run in a while, i appear to have hit the spin classes again instead, but i've entered http://www.runningmania.co.uk/ this 10k at the end of March. 4 weeks to get back into the running mindset should be ok...

My chip time on it last year was 55mins, i hope to do better.

< Message edited by gingerdaniel -- 24/2/2012 1:39:06 PM >

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 454
RE: Running - 24/2/2012 6:46:36 PM   
Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: benmharper

quote:

quote:

I just use Vaseline. Heels and balls of the feet, especially before a long run

Double layered running socks are great too.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 455
RE: Running - 29/2/2012 10:22:34 AM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: LEEJGM

I've been running on occasions over the last couple of years. I originally, at 28 and a rather muscular but certainly flabby 17st 8lbs struggled to complete a mile.
I went on a bit of a weight loss spell and got down to 15st 10lbs, with a body fat percentage of 15%. I wanted to get down to 15st but struggled to lose those final 10lbs. I worked up my distance each time and managed to complete 10 miles of road running within about 3 months. All was looking good.
Unfortunately. after a change in job (meaning longer hours and later finishing) and another kid and my wife having a multitude of pre and post pregancy health problems , things have since fallen flat.
I still run when I can but I've put a stone back on again over the last year and a half. Surprisingly to myself,I am still able to run 10 miles without stopping though and usually run an 8 mile course in around 80 mins. It's not great, it's not as good as I was doing before but it's something.
My goal is to run home from work one evening, which is from Elstree to Stevenage, It won't be a straight line so it'll be around 30 miles. I'd like to get sponsorship and raise funds for the Endometriosis Association. Although, I'm clearly a long way off being capable of that distance at the moment.
Anyway, I just thought I'd share that with you all. Off for the second run of the week shortly. If you're in Stevenage, I'll be the chunky bloke in the 'Han Shot FIrst' T-shirt huffing and puffing through Great Ashby.

Happy jogging!

Well done and keep it up! Every one has set backs or times when other priorities take over but the important thing is to not give up Hope your wife is okay now.

Today is a good day!

I have a place in the special Nike Leap Day run. 150 runners from Oxford Circus to County Hall on the South Bank where Nike are laying on a party. Nike are also organising a training club session on the London Eye. I dread to think of the logisitics of getting it all set up and managing the participants (along with the hundreds of tourists that will be in the area)

Can't wait!

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to LEEJGM)
Post #: 456
RE: Running - 29/2/2012 2:39:55 PM   
benmharper

That sounds good. Hope you have/had fun Hobbsy

Did my longest run ever today, 15 miles. Felt pretty good for the most part, apart from about 11 miles in when I had this urge to throw up. Dry heaved a couple of times then carried on

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 457
RE: Running - 29/2/2012 10:44:09 PM   
Hobbitonlass

It was ace! Bit stop start but only to be expected. Ran from Oxford Circus down Regent Street, round Trafalgar Square up to Buckingham Palace and then down to Big Ben and the London Eye.

Nike booked out the entire London Eye for the night and were holding training sessions in each pod for the Nike Training Club. We ended up in County Hall where Nike had laid on food and drinks and a disco!

Imagine 150 runners all in luminous green vests like the one below all descending on the tourists. Lot of "what the fuck is going on" looks on peoples faces

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 458
RE: Running - 3/3/2012 6:05:23 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Did my longest ever run today - 16.1km! Now have more confidence that I am going to be able to complete the half marathon

Post #: 459
RE: Running - 12/3/2012 8:15:32 PM   
Hood_Man

Started doing some HIIT on an exercise bike after my runs now, already I can see a small difference. My last two runs have been a minute quicker than the last, and when I'm on the bike I can keep the sprints going longer. Before it was a genuine struggle to do multiple reps of 20 seconds (well, if I'm honest, it was hard to do more than 3 ) but now, while still being bloody hard, I can keep it up for most of it so I get more of a benefit.

I should have done that years ago

< Message edited by Hood_Man -- 12/3/2012 8:17:25 PM >

Post #: 460
RE: Running - 15/3/2012 9:45:32 AM   
Rob

Interval training is awesome and so useful. I'd maxed out my 5km time at around 25 minutes and just couldn't go any faster. A friend advised me to do some interval training. Sprint for half a km and then light jog for half a km and do that for 5km. I'm not sure that it's the strictest interpretation of interval training but it's certainly working for me. Did my best 5km the other day with a 21:11!

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 461
RE: Running - 15/3/2012 2:00:02 PM   
benmharper

Yeah, the instructor at my local gym is always telling me about interval training. I do 400m or 800m track sprints (well, quick runs) with a minute rest between each rep. It's defo got benefits but it's bloody hard work whilst doing it.

Managed 17 miles today, it would've been 18 but it's all uphill for the last mile to my house, so that was walked as my cool down

Edit:- I had one of those energy gel things after 13miles. Anyone tried one before? What do you think? I can't decide if it helped me or not. I not have one on my next long run and see what happens

< Message edited by benmharper -- 15/3/2012 2:43:04 PM >

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 462
RE: Running - 15/3/2012 8:14:47 PM   
gingerdaniel

I've used the energy gels for cycling and running before, some taste nice, some are what i imagine a shot in the mouth tastes like.

I like the GO Gels.

I've only used them for 1/2 marathon runs though, anything shorter and i've usually got the energy anyway!

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 463
RE: Running - 15/3/2012 8:47:11 PM   
Rinc

I've only tried them before and that was during the London Marathon when I was so desperate for energy I grabbed some from a stand on the way round. Usually on long runs I take a few jelly babies. I was recommended them but I'm not sure if they help either although it's nice to eat something sweet.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

Post #: 464
RE: Running - 15/3/2012 8:51:21 PM   
Hobbitonlass

I've been trying to fuel on my longer runs and was having difficulty running and eating (couldn't coordinate my breathing ) jelly beans but they were nice so tried just keeping them in my mouth. Have brought some of the gels (GU energy gel) to try out this Sunday though. Bit worried if I don't get on with it........

Talking of which, got this today

Not ready!!!

Post #: 465
RE: Running - 15/3/2012 9:42:58 PM   
Rinc

I usually have a jelly baby when I'm waiting at lights.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

Post #: 466
RE: Running - 17/3/2012 4:30:13 PM   
gingerdaniel

I got this through this morning for the B&Q 10k next weekend... I haven't run in a while, i've been hitting the spin classes and riding the woods recently, apparently cycling shortens the hamstrings...
I've got 6 days to train, that's enough right?

Post #: 467
RE: Running - 22/3/2012 12:23:33 PM   
LEEJGM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: LEEJGM

Happy jogging!

Well done and keep it up! Every one has set backs or times when other priorities take over but the important thing is to not give up Hope your wife is okay now.

Thanks very much. Yeah, she's muched improved now so I have a bit more time in the evenings now.
I'm running 3 evenings a week now and am shaving a few minutes off my PB each time.

I think decent music is the key for me. I can't run without my iPod.

Post #: 468
RE: Running - 23/3/2012 5:43:11 PM   
Hood_Man

Right, off to attempt my first 10k... I may be gone for quite some time...

(in reply to LEEJGM)
Post #: 469
RE: Running - 23/3/2012 7:14:44 PM   
Hood_Man

1 hour 22 minutes! That's nearly ten minutes quicker than I thought it would be to be honest.

Especially since I had to walk about 5 minutes of it around the 6 kilometre mark due to a sudden and alarming pain in my arse Thankfully it went away but wtf??

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 470
RE: Running - 23/3/2012 8:36:20 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Blinding! Well done Hood!

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 471
RE: Running - 23/3/2012 9:04:12 PM   
Hood_Man

Thank you!

I'll definitely be sticking with this from now on, it's amazing how much quicker it was than I thought it would be, and I genuinely felt like I could push myself more.

Post #: 472
RE: Running - 28/3/2012 6:59:17 PM   
Hood_Man

Can I just say, that after listening to music for the first time when running, that running to Lose Yourself by Eminem will fuck you up!

Or me anyway, it just happens to be the perfect beat to get me moving quickly

Man I love my new bluetooth earphones, I can't describe how great it is to have music playing in my ears without having a cord tugging my earphones out all the time.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 473
RE: Running - 28/3/2012 7:08:14 PM   
gingerdaniel

I did my 10k in 52mins, which is 2 minutes faster than last year, not a great achievement but i also did 0 training runs in the lead up!

I have the headphones below, they're great, they sound great and they dont move around on your head, when you get too hot or don't want to listen they sit on your neck comfortably too. They've got a clip on the cable to attach it to your tshirt too, so that doesn't bang around.

I got away from running with headphones as most races don't allow it (can't hear the marshalls etc) so i've been running outside without them. I use them in the gym though to drown out the chavs.

Post #: 474
RE: Running - 30/3/2012 10:33:58 AM   
benmharper

quote:

I did my 10k in 52mins, which is 2 minutes faster than last year, not a great achievement but i also did 0 training runs in the lead up!

Well done, knocking 2 minutes off is good going, especially with no running done in the build up.

Post #: 475
RE: Running - 30/3/2012 10:45:41 AM   
Rob

Well done GD.

Without taking the thread off topic which headphones do you use Hoodman? I've been looking at Bluetooth headphones for ages and can't find any that are suitable.

Did some interval training last night and can barely move this morning - I'm getting old I think!

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 476
RE: Running - 1/4/2012 3:47:17 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Bugger me that was really hard!!! But I finished

Finishing inside the Madejski Stadium (home to Reading football club) was awesome and surprisingly emotional. I got a really bad stitch at the 10k mark that had me walking quite a bit and then a blister on the bottom of my foot from about 16k but I finished in 2 hours 30 and ran the last km I will definitely do another and I now have a time to improve on which shouldn't be too hard

quote:

I have the headphones below, they're great, they sound great and they dont move around on your head, when you get too hot or don't want to listen they sit on your neck comfortably too. They've got a clip on the cable to attach it to your tshirt too, so that doesn't bang around.

I have those and love them! Ran with them today

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 477
RE: Running - 1/4/2012 3:58:10 PM   
Rinc

I've got those earphones as well but in lovely green. They're great.

I've done barely any running lately because of a knee injury. It's feeling a bit better now but I don't think I'll run on it for a couple more days. Combined with a shoulder injury that has kept me away from the gym, it means I'm not in as good shape as I should be and I've only run 12 miles with just 3 weeks until the marathon. I know I'll complete it and in a better time than 2 years ago because I'm still much better fitness and strength wise than then. Also when I have run I've got quite a lot of speed and have to slow myself down. What I'm worried about is the conditioning for running anything over 18 miles. I know I can do 12 miles and with the raceday adrenaline and crowd support I reckon I can do 18 ok, but after that the knees and calves are going to struggle.

Still, should be fun though.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

Post #: 478
RE: Running - 1/4/2012 8:54:44 PM   
benmharper

Well done Hobbsy. Bring on the next one eh??

Are you doing the London marathon Rinc?

5 weeks until my marathon, managed 18miles on Friday and didn't feel too bad when finished, so i'm more confident about it now The week before last I struggled after 5 mile and was not looking forward to it at all

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 479
RE: Running - 1/4/2012 9:03:33 PM   
Rinc

Yeah it's the London one for me.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 480
Page:   <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Running Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI