Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Running

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Running Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Running - 6/2/2012 8:09:12 PM   
benmharper

I had a couple of weeks off before starting my marathon training ( spent a week walking around New York and eating too much). I went out on Friday and did 9.4 miles in 80mins. I can still feel it in my legs today.

The Great North 10k entries open tmw if anyone fancies it.

#3 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 421
RE: Running - 6/2/2012 8:29:51 PM   
Hood_Man

Does anyone else have really reeeeaaally clicky toes from running? I've got quite clicky joints anyway but I noticed this first a few years ago and the only other people I know who can click their toes are other runners.

Everyone else just goes EEEWWWWWW

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 422
RE: Running - 6/2/2012 8:44:29 PM   
Super Hans

I wish I had clicky toes - just hurting knees!  Went running for a couple of weeks in the new year but found it quite painful.  From researching online though (and watching others I see on the way to/from work), I think I tend to heel strikefar too hard, when I should be aiming to land more midfoot.  I think once most of the snow has gone I'll start up again but take it steady and try and focus on doing it without any pain!

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 423
RE: Running - 6/2/2012 9:32:08 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob

My mate does the Nike run club thing and raves about it so I might have to have a look into it.

Just got back from the Nike run club and it was a great run. You'd never know it had snowed in central London and it was a lot warmer than last week so that helped. Still get really wobbly going over the millennium bridge though .

Well done on the long run though Rob! My longest is 11.8km, only 9 more to add on

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 424
RE: Running - 7/2/2012 8:47:03 PM   
benmharper

The Nike run and park runs sound really good but the nearest one to me is the park run in Newcastle, 60ish miles to get there

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 425
RE: Running - 7/2/2012 9:36:03 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: benmharper

The Nike run and park runs sound really good but the nearest one to me is the park run in Newcastle, 60ish miles to get there

That's a pain

Start your own parkrun! They're always looking for new ones and people do start them up

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 426
RE: Running - 8/2/2012 7:31:27 PM   
Hood_Man

The curse of the overly ambitious GPS strikes again as I apparently ran 25.3 Kilometres in a straight line this evening in half an hour

Post #: 427
RE: Running - 8/2/2012 7:35:01 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

The curse of the overly ambitious GPS strikes again as I apparently ran 25.3 Kilometres in a straight line this evening in half an hour

That happened to me on Monday night. Ran for a minute and a half and it said I had completed 2km. I wish!

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 428
RE: Running - 8/2/2012 7:44:20 PM   
Rinc

I ran for the first time in 10 days this evening. Did 8 miles in just under 80 mins. Very poor, I felt very sluggish and had nothing left at the end. That'll learn me for not running all last week!

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

Post #: 429
RE: Running - 10/2/2012 3:07:30 PM   
Rob

I went for a run the other day and struggled to complete 2km. In my defence I was hugely hungover and had eaten my body weight in cr*p throughout the day but I was stunned how difficult the going was.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 430
RE: Running - 10/2/2012 3:11:53 PM   
Hobbitonlass

It's funny. Running with the Nike run club in the evening has really confirmed just how much of a morning exerciser I am as I really struggle with the even runs and am about 2 - 3 mins slower. Definitely prefer to run first thing

The parkrun has been cancelled this weekend Not surprised to be honest as there is a lot of snow and ice around where I live and it's been deemed unsafe. Might have to venture on to the treadmill

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 431
RE: Running - 11/2/2012 3:58:13 PM   
Super Hans

I braved the cold and went for a jog this afternoon. The weather wasn't a problem actually, with 3 layers on my top half I was more than warm enough once I got going. Only managed 4km in 31 minutes, although after about 1.5km I was doing it in intervals with walking so not too bad I guess. I'm trying to concentrate on my technique to try and avoid the knee pain I was getting - they kind of ache a little now but hopefully they won't be too bad in the morning!

I've got a copy of Runner's World with a proper 'starting from scratch' 8 week beginners programme in it, so I might start that this week, try and build myself up properly with a more structured training guide!

Post #: 432
RE: Running - 14/2/2012 11:03:13 AM   
Rob

You'll be amazed what a difference a decent structure makes. I slowly built up to an average 5km time without event knowing what I was doing but then I just plateaued. I couldn't go faster and for my longer slower runs anything over 10km was out of the question. However, thanks to a bit of advice from people on these boards and looking at things like runners world I've got my 5km time down by over 3 and a half minutes and find longer distances so much easier than I used to.

Good luck buddy!

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 433
RE: Running - 15/2/2012 9:12:20 PM   
Super Hans

Thanks Rob, there's certainly lots of good advice and encouragement in this thread!  Just been out for my first run in this programme.  7 reps of 2mins running/1min walking.  Was pretty good, although caught myself landing hard on my heels a few times so hope my knees don't hurt tomorrow!

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 434
RE: Running - 15/2/2012 9:24:09 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: Super Hans

I've got a copy of Runner's World with a proper 'starting from scratch' 8 week beginners programme in it, so I might start that this week, try and build myself up properly with a more structured training guide!

Slowly but surely and you'll be amazed at what you can do. I started with the couch25k app on my iPhone and now I'm attempting a half marathon

Well done!

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 435
RE: Running - 17/2/2012 2:04:31 AM   
Hood_Man

I haven't been out running at all this week I just can't be bothered, there's an absolutely ENORMOUS puddle about a quarter through my route which has been there for months. It just refills all the time from the rain and doesn't drain away. I might go there with a bucket tomorrow and do what I can, it's that annoying.

I can't really go past it either. I've just about managed to so far by tiptoeing on the muddy mounds at the side but so many others have done that too, so now it's just soft mud which gives way at the slightest bit of pressure. There aren't any branches left to grab onto either.

I hate rural living

Post #: 436
RE: Running - 17/2/2012 6:44:12 PM   
Rinc

Just went for an 8 mile run. I haven't been running much lately and felt really knackered by the end but managed it in 68mins. Went to the gym yesterday for the first time in a month after having a shoulder injury. That felt good.

Biggest problem is when I took my phone out of its holder when I had completed 8 miles, my debit card must have fallen out. So I now don't have a debit card which is an abosolute pain the arse.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 437
RE: Running - 19/2/2012 11:24:17 AM   
Hobbitonlass

Hope it doesn't take too long to get your debit card sorted Rinc

Just logged my longest run to date! 13km. Very chuffed with myself. Nearly wimped out by thinking it was too windy out there but gave myself a talking to and went out anyway. It was windy but nothing I couldn't cope with and in fact it turned out lovely as the sun was out all the way round

Did you go out with your bucket Hood?

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 438
RE: Running - 19/2/2012 12:29:11 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass
Did you go out with your bucket Hood?

No joke, I actually did. I think I was there for an hour and I swear it didn't make any difference, the water just seemed to be coming from somewhere else all the time.

So being the mature adult that I am I stormed off in a huff. I might try and acquire a pump from somewhere, or just write an angry letter to the council and get them to fill it in because it happens every time we have long term wet spells. This year just seems to have been much longer than normal

Post #: 439
RE: Running - 19/2/2012 1:18:12 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

So being the mature adult that I am I stormed off in a huff.

Sorry Hood, that did make me smile It's a magic filling hole! Why can't a pint glass be the same? I get though how frustrating it must be and if it's stopping you from running, that's even worse

Can you take a pic? I'm intrigued now!

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 440
RE: Running - 19/2/2012 2:28:49 PM   
Hood_Man

I might go for a walk later and if I remember I'll take a photo. It was so big the other day it could well be on Google Maps right now.

Post #: 441
RE: Running - 19/2/2012 2:50:40 PM   
Rinc

I definitely want to see a photo

I just did 12 miles. Ran to Fulham and through Putney. As Hobbs said it was nice and sunny, but my problem is I took a wrong turn in Putney and nearly ended up in Wimbledon! So after going back the way I came I completed my 12 miles and got the train home.

Did it in 1hr 45 which I was pleased with too.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 442
RE: Running - 19/2/2012 5:32:28 PM   
Super Hans

Just managed 2 miles, with only a couple of minutes walking somewhere around half way - quite pleased with that! Knees allowing, I should hopefully be able to get a couple more runs in this week. That, along with more cycle commuting now the weather is getting milder should provide ample calorie offsetting for my father-in-law's 60th birthday party next weekend!

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 443
RE: Running - 19/2/2012 5:50:00 PM   
Hood_Man

Well that was a pleasant walk

Photos! They're all pretty big, apologies for that but I thought small ones would make it hard to tell just how big it is.

This shows how wide it is. It's actually gone down which is how I managed to get round it this time and take the photo from this side.

These two show how long it is:

This was from the hedge I was clinging onto as I was getting round it:

And this was when I remembered my phone could take Panoramic Photos:

So yeah, pretty big. It's got to be about 25 feet long, and don't be fooled by how steady the edges look, that's just mud

It does appear to be going down though...

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 444
RE: Running - 19/2/2012 5:56:34 PM   
Super Hans

That's one bad-ass puddle!

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 445
RE: Running - 19/2/2012 8:27:59 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Bloody hell Hood!! That's a tad larger than I had imagined! I can see why you are moaning about it and a bucket ain't going to do much is it! What a pain for you!

Rinc? You muppet

Well done Hans!!

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 446
RE: Running - 19/2/2012 9:08:02 PM   
benmharper

That is an impressive puddle.

Seems like everyone's running is going well, which is good to hear.

I did 11.6 mile last Monday, it was meant to be 13 but I was outside my house at 11.6 so in I went

Hoping to do about 14-15 tomorrow, 11 weeks and counting untill until the marathon.

Post #: 447
RE: Running - 20/2/2012 11:26:29 AM   
Rob

That is one massive puddle / small lake!

Good running folks. I tweaked my hamstring at the weekend so might take it easy for a couple of weeks. A real shame as I was on course for a decent 5km time.

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 448
RE: Running - 20/2/2012 5:24:19 PM   
Hood_Man

I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks so, now that I have photos all the naysayers where I live are now just going "...oh yeah."

And it's raining today!!

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 449
RE: Running - 23/2/2012 6:20:27 PM   
Hood_Man

Any ideas for blister treatments? They're not really big enough to pop, but they're small and white and they hurt.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 450
Page:   <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Running Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI