Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Running

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> Running Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Running - 21/11/2010 8:56:43 PM   
gingerdaniel

Any of you run?

I've changed jobs, which means i have to drive to work rather than cycle due to the distance.
In order to combat me running the risk of getting chubby, i've started running!
Also, as an incentive to myself, i've been looking at running events near me. There's a parkrun on Saturday mornings near me, and today i completed the Gosport Half-Marathon in 2hrs 16seconds, which is brilliant!

So, like i said, any of you run? Got any tips/stories etc?

Do you run? Check THIS out
Post #: 1
RE: Running - 21/11/2010 9:56:33 PM   
James2183

I used to live in Gosport. Not only should you be congratulated for completing the race, but you should be commended for getting out of their alive!

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to gingerdaniel)
Post #: 2
RE: Running - 21/11/2010 10:23:56 PM   
gingerdaniel

Ha, i guess the people there are used to running. To avoid being stabbed i presume. I live in Southampton, which is lovely....

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 3
RE: Running - 21/11/2010 10:29:15 PM   
borstal

I used to run a lot as a teenager competing in a lot of cross country, playing rugby league and rugby union. The doctors have said that my knees are fucked due to this.

By fucked I mean if I run for a few minutes the tendons try to force their way out of my knees.

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

Post #: 4
RE: Running - 21/11/2010 10:33:22 PM   
Hobbitonlass

I'm trying to get in to running at the moment.  I do the Virgin Active running club on a saturday mornings but that's mainly off road and very hilly.   Just got some reflective gear so trying to get myself out after work.  Trouble is, my area isn't the best area after dark so I suppose as long as I stick to well lit streets, there shouldn't be a problem.

I did the London Asics 10k last year and want to do a few more 10k's, ideally an hour or less.  Have also registered interest for the Great North Run next year so (hopeully I'll get a space) a good goal to have.  The goal being actually finishing

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 5
RE: Running - 21/11/2010 10:39:28 PM   
Hood_Man

My goal is to run a 10k race one day. A long way off at the moment but I've reached a point where I can run for 25 minutes without walking. Not very far or very fast, but no stops.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 6
RE: Running - 21/11/2010 10:44:54 PM   
gingerdaniel

I'd recommend the parkrun events, check if there's one near you HERE.
They're free 5k timed runs, it gives you something to aim for if you're starting out, or a good way of testing yourself and getting timed for free!

My PB is 26mins for a 5k, and i was hanging out of my ass after that morning, i can't wait to shave minutes off it!

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 7
RE: Running - 21/11/2010 10:55:34 PM   
Hobbitonlass

I saw those Park Runs before and am gutted that they are only on Saturdays.  I do Spinning at 9.30 followed by running club so can't do it 

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

Post #: 8
RE: Running - 21/11/2010 11:06:25 PM   
Felix

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

My goal is to run a 10k race one day. A long way off at the moment but I've reached a point where I can run for 25 minutes without walking. Not very far or very fast, but no stops.

10k is only 6 miles. Keep up with it and you'll easily do it.

I used to run a lot, and should really get back into it, but I find it hard to have the time and the motivation nowadays.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 9
RE: Running - 22/11/2010 9:54:29 AM   
benmharper

I've started running alot this year, stopped playing sunday morning football and took up this instead. This year i've done 3 x 10km runs, quickest being 43mins11secs. 2 half marathons, Great North run in 1hr46 and Great Cumbrian run in 1hr36 and on saturday i did the 10mile Brampton to Carlisle run in 71mins29secs. Hoping to do some more next year and i've started to go with a local club to keep me motivated thruoghout the cold dark months ahead

#3 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 10
RE: Running - 22/11/2010 1:49:46 PM   
MOTH

hate long distance running - had to do it every Feb/March in pre-season training for football and i despised it, not least because it was in the cold and wet and mud, and because I have stumpy little legs.

Nonetheless, it gets you fit, gives you stamina, and builds 'character'. After 8 weeks of it, i would grudgingly concede it did me good. But doing it for fun? no way

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 11
RE: Running - 22/11/2010 2:30:56 PM   
pocketrocket

I started running 14 months ago after having not enough time to go mountain biking on a regular basis. It's been a tale of two halfs, the first part of this all joy as I upped the mileage, raced in my first 10k (Great Manchester Run) and continually got fitter. Disaster has struck recently with injury after injury, groin, ITB and now patello-femoral pain (PFP or runners knee). After thinking I was injury/pain free a few weeks ago I decicided to run in a local 8k only to pull up after a 1k with shooting knee pain. Five weeks on (and several Dr appointments) I hope I'm recovering and hoping to run in two to three weeks although I don't think I'll be running in a 10k cross counrtry I've entered into on the 12th.

So heres hoping the new year brings me pain free k's, Machester Great Run in May and a few more 10k's during the rest of 2011.

"A life Jmmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for the moments that never come." Lester Freamon

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 12
RE: Running - 22/11/2010 2:42:35 PM   
Chief

I started road running a couple of months ago, doing about 5.5km, until I started getting a sharp pain on the outside (outstep?) of my foot. It may have been due to the fact that I haven't got proper running trainers, just using a battered pair of Air Max with the laces undone.

I've joined a gym now where I run 5km about 3 times a week and can run 7km pretty comfortably when I've got the time. I don't think 10km will be much of a stretch.

I was planning on doing the Bupa Great Winter Run in Edinburgh in January but it's my daughters birthday party. I will do a run next year at some point.

Post #: 13
RE: Running - 22/11/2010 3:38:04 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

I started road running a couple of months ago, doing about 5.5km, until I started getting a sharp pain on the outside (outstep?) of my foot. It may have been due to the fact that I haven't got proper running trainers, just using a battered pair of Air Max with the laces undone.

No wonder you're getting a pain!

Get yourself down to a running store and get a gait analysis done. I used to get pains in my knees until I had the gait analysis done and got the right trainers for me. No more pain

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 14
RE: Running - 24/11/2010 10:51:19 AM   
Chief

Hey, what can I say? I'm an amateur!

Got back into it last night after a week off due to the cold. Felt good but Achilles are a bit tight today.

Post #: 15
RE: Running - 26/11/2010 6:26:30 PM   
Hood_Man

I had a Resident Evil 2 moment last night, was out running in the dark and apart from the sound of my feet hitting the ground and my heavy breathing, it was silent.

Until a flock of birds burst through one of the trees next to me!!

Then when I got home I got cramp just above my knee

Might do a fun run in a few weeks, only 5k which I should be able to do, I don't think there are any steep inclines like there are on my usual route.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 16
RE: Running - 3/1/2011 6:54:51 PM   
Hood_Man

Went out for a little jog this evening, first time in about a month due to illness and weather.  Nothing too hard, just enough to get the blood pumping and the breathing heavier.

Also managed to scare the life out of two women who didn't see me running up the hill due to the dark, finally spotted my dark silhouette (must remember to bring a torch, must remember to bring a torch...), promptly screamed at the tops of their lungs, and ran away in the opposite direction

That might not be as funny when in a few days I start hearing stories of a creepy man lurking around back roads at night though...

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 17
RE: Running - 3/1/2011 7:03:05 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

Went out for a little jog this evening, first time in about a month due to illness and weather. 

Well done!! I did that on New Years Eve. First time in 4 weeks and managed 5k Did the same again on New Years day. Had a couple of rest days and intend going out tomorrow morning. My plan is to run at least three times a week with one run being 5k or more. Trying to build up to running 10k in an hour or less.

Have you not got any reflective stuff or bright clothing Hood?

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 18
RE: Running - 3/1/2011 7:17:19 PM   
Quint

I did a few runs over the Christmas break, but the alcohol and food balanced that out nicely. Planning on getting up early to run before work, but we shall see...

If anyone is interested my brother has set up a website for runners of all walks (runs) of life (experienced to newbs) and it has all kinds of articles and information on the sport. He also has a great blog following his training and completion of the 50 mile and 100 mile marathons he did. Mental! (He is a web designer btw, hence why it looks nice!)

Here is the link: http://www.ultra26.com/home/

My Art: http://adamwayneart.com/

Post #: 19
RE: Running - 3/1/2011 9:54:07 PM   
Rinc

I haven't been running in two months. In the period between September and mid November I went on two two mile runs. Both of them I did quite quickly but after the Christmas peroid I'm well out of shape. Hoping to do a couple of half marathons this year so I joined a gym and I'm going to tomorrow. I'm actually really looking forward to it. Need to get back into the running habit!

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Quint)
Post #: 20
RE: Running - 3/1/2011 10:38:06 PM   
Hobbitonlass

I've registered an interest (sure that will wear off!! ) in the Great North Run along with my cousin and I think part of me is secretly hoping I don't get a place

Have decided though to give the Parkruns a go so hoping to do my first one on Saturday. I've looked at the results from the one nearest me and thankfully I shouldn't come last!

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 21
RE: Running - 3/1/2011 11:07:38 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

quote:

Went out for a little jog this evening, first time in about a month due to illness and weather. 

Well done!! I did that on New Years Eve. First time in 4 weeks and managed 5k Did the same again on New Years day. Had a couple of rest days and intend going out tomorrow morning. My plan is to run at least three times a week with one run being 5k or more. Trying to build up to running 10k in an hour or less.

Have you not got any reflective stuff or bright clothing Hood?

Thanks And no, despite my best intentions I can never remember to buy anything reflective. I'm picturing a trip to Wilkinsons tomorrow after work tomorrow, they seem to sell everything at the moment

Post #: 22
RE: Running - 4/1/2011 10:25:00 AM   
Felix

Went on my first run of the year last night. Put the Wii Fit on to weigh myself and I've put on half a stone since September. Not good.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 23
RE: Running - 4/1/2011 12:40:27 PM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: borstal

I used to run a lot as a teenager competing in a lot of cross country, playing rugby league and rugby union. The doctors have said that my knees are fucked due to this.

By fucked I mean if I run for a few minutes the tendons try to force their way out of my knees.

Change rugby league and union to football and that's my story too. Bastard, isn't it?

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 24
RE: Running - 6/1/2011 4:48:33 PM   
Chief

Back to the gym tomorrow night after work and bloody well looking forward to it.
Must have put on a good few pounds over the Christmas break so the rest of the month off booze a good few runs should help.

Post #: 25
RE: Running - 6/1/2011 6:52:31 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

I am planning to get back out from Monday. I am hoping I can manage 5.5-6kms each night or every other night. Its just a bastard at this time of year though, with work being busy and the weather effecting motiviation etc.

I reckon I might try and knock the booze on the head for a while but to be honest I have never made a concerted effort to stay dry and it actually scares me a little bit. I am not a heavy drinker but I do love pints on a Saturday but I have noticed that it impacts my weight dramatically. So if I can stay off it for 4-6 weeks and somehow not lose my mind on a saturday night (going out to the pub with friends is OUT) I reckon I can shed the half stone that I put on since November.

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 26
RE: Running - 6/1/2011 6:58:13 PM   
Rinc

I cut out pints this time last year for four months in the run up to the marathon. I still drank spirits and wine but then gave them up for a month. It was tough but it made me feel great. The worst was when me and my girlfriend were sat outside at a pub in the sun during the early April heatwave and she was drinking a cider. God how I wanted one!

Went to the gym on Tuesday and ran 2 miles on the treadmill, did some weights and did 3 miles on the exercise bike. Felt great.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 27
RE: Running - 6/1/2011 7:07:25 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

It;s just the habitual thing really. As I have said I have never made a concerted effort to cut the booze out so I won't go making empty statements just yet

Think I might start keeping an eye on the cinema

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 28
RE: Running - 6/1/2011 9:24:46 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: MOTH

hate long distance running - had to do it every Feb/March in pre-season training for football and i despised it, not least because it was in the cold and wet and mud, and because I have stumpy little legs.

Pre-season training in Feb/March? Are you in Scandinavia or something Moth. I'd love to have run in such cold conditions for pre-season training. Long distance running and sprinting are an utter bitch at the height of the summer...

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 29
RE: Running - 6/1/2011 9:28:29 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keyser Sozzled

I am planning to get back out from Monday. I am hoping I can manage 5.5-6kms each night or every other night. Its just a bastard at this time of year though, with work being busy and the weather effecting motiviation etc.

Am I the only fucker that enjoys running when it's brass monkey's outside?

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> Running Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI