Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: My 3 year old could write a better script **SPOILER**

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: My 3 year old could write a better script **SPOILER** Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: My 3 year old could write a better script **SPOILER** - 15/11/2010 3:56:28 PM   
Emyr Thy King

I've read some odd things about the tactical engagement side of things in the film.  Regarding the dogfight with the F-22s and the alien attackers, no missiles just cannons? In addition I've seen a clip of what appears to be a B-2 stealth bomber maneuvering as if it were a nimble fighter aircraft? Unless of course it's the X-47B. Prediction time: someone's bound to say "who cares?" or something similar but I just want to know. I'll wait until this film is released on DVD before watching it.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 15/11/2010 3:58:00 PM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to MrStayPuft)
Post #: 31
skyline - 15/11/2010 7:06:17 PM   
HERMES_67

**SPOILER** if you can get past the wierdest ending to any film i can remember then what your left with is prob worth a couple hrs of your life if for no other reason than to watch the part where the airforce attacks the mother ship.. But still wierd.. Enjoy.....

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 32
RE: skyline - 15/11/2010 8:42:02 PM   
Edward Nygma

I've seen some bad films this year. I mean, for the love of god I saw Furry Vengeance! But this was BAD. Oh my days...where do I start?

I think saying Skyline is derivative is understating things quite a bit: Skyline has nothing new or interesting to offer. Sure there are special effects but they're hardly impressive and it just looks like someone played Crysis on their PC and pasted some alien ships from the game in an otherwise derelict straight-to-video sci-fi turkey. Oh, and the aliens look like vaginas. I kid you not: vaginas.

What is really painful about Skyline however is the acting. Holy god the acting... Skyline has some of the worst acting I have seen in a very long time. It is shameful that these people were even paid for such horrendous performances. It made The Happening look like A Clockwork Orange.

I can handle crap sci-fi but this was just abysmal. It felt like the whole thing had been written by a pre-pubescent Half Life fan with a million dollars to spare. The 5 main characters were astonishingly dislikable and empty so there was literally no reason to care...about anything or anyone.

I like a good sci-fi B movie...but this isn't one of them. I can't give any more than 2 stars to Skyline (one star for the effects, one for the hilarious ending) and where Kim Newman found that third star...is beyond me. Really this is a 1 star film covered in sprinkles. Oh screw the sprinkles: one star it is.

Skyline is to movies what my dung is to gourmet cooking.

Ben. Affleck.

(in reply to HERMES_67)
Post #: 33
RE: skyline - 16/11/2010 10:26:31 AM   
dj vivace

[image]http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Skyline-204x300.jpg[/image]

Skyline (possible spoilers)

The poster tag goes "Don't look up", a clear indication that by looking up you will be hypnotised by this strange blue light coming from alien ships, forcing you to walk towards it and be vaporised. Now, clearly thatís not something you would really want to do, but after meeting this cast you would be begging for that blue light and would gladly offer yourself to the aliens in order to get away from this sorry bunch of complete morons! To say Skyline is a letdown is an understatement, this is a pathetic, dull, sorry excuse of a sci-fi film if ever there was one. At least the gung-ho, cheese fest Independence Day had some good bits (the first half an hour) and Bill Pullman. Skyline has nothing, after watching this I walked away as if I hadn't actually just sat in a massive cinema screen and watched a film, it was THAT forgettable. Mind you, I should've expected this, coming from the Brothers Strause, the same pair who made the embarrassing Alien vs. Predator: Requiem.

[image]http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/skyline6-300x123.jpg[/image]
So, this awful cast are as follows: Jarrod (Eric Balfour) with his long chin and silly tattoos, visiting his seriously annoying friend Terry (Donald Faison) who lives the life of luxury in LA in this posh apartment in a massive block which has a swimming pool. I couldn't tell you what either of them does for work because I lost interest as soon as Terry started talking. It would seem Terry wants his best mate Jarrod to move to LA to work with him, much to the annoyance of Jarrodís girlfriend Elaine (Scottie Thompson), she has come along for this weekend to celebrate Terry's birthday and I swear, on a number of occasions I actually wished her dead. Dreadful character and the fact she happens to mention she is pregnant at completely the wrong time irritated me immensely. You getting the picture, crap cast no chance in hell of siding with them as they are all badly written characters. Terry has a blonde bimbo of a girlfriend who at times looks in her early twenties, at others she looks about fifty, go figure! And it would seem he is cheating on her with Denise (Crystal Reed), the best looking of the bunch. Who the fuck cares, honestly. It all threatens to come to a head at Terry's birthday as he gets caught, but clearly the writers forgot about character development and just want to get to the action. So do I, bring it on for god's sake because Iím getting bored!
[image]http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/skyline2-300x168.jpg[/image]

Waking up from the party, a strange blue light fills the apartment, and one of the party goers who were angry about sleeping on the couch decides to go outside on the balcony, and he is vaporised! Oh wow, look at the way the veins in his face turn black as he follows the light, this is exciting! Actually, it is, things could be looking up! What the fuck is going on here? Damn, it's an alien invasion. Surely we've seen it all before? Can there be any originality here after such a bad start? The answer, for the odd brief moment is yes. At times Skyline looks like it's about to go to new heights and deliver something new, fresh and inventive. As the group of friends try to come to terms with all these blue lights and strange craft appearing in the sky, things do get interesting. Suspense kicks in, mildly. Using their telescope normally used for perving (typical) the friends look at the bizarre dust clouds forming under the alien spacecraft. In a rather unsettling scene, we see bodies being sucked up to the ships, genius!! It is actually quite distressing. We just might be in for a treat here after all. Sadly, as soon as this scene is over, we go back to the apartment and our cast of morons bickering and panicking about whatís best to do. Some decide to stay; others think itís best to make a run for it. They argue some more, they peak through the windows; they go up on the roof and manage to trap themselves. Oh but wait, big shot Terry has a gun, and he can blast his way through the metal lock and get us back in just in the nick of time before being caught by aliens!

[image]http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/skyline4-300x168.jpg[/image]
Eventually they make a dash for it, and the flash car comes out from Mr. Big Shot Terry. In fact, the idea is to go quietly but he seems to have the loudest engine in LA, so what does he do? Yeh, lets rev the engine, make all the aliens aware I am about to set off in my car! We get introduced to a few more damsels in distress and a new monster that enters a scene unexpected with vicious intent. Itís a brilliant scene, and just as I was nodding off, this woke me up again and thoughts of Cloverfield came to my mind and I was excited again. Sadly it didn't last and we now head down the familiar route of chases, deaths and fights with aliens. The military get involved and seem to do everything wrong, our cast of morons do everything wrong, oh, and it would seem that Jarrod, after viewing the blue light, has a connection with the invaders. Yawn, yawn, yawn. Itís all been done before and you just canít get recent classics like Cloverfield and The War of the Worlds out of your head, knowing the alien invasion film can be done so much better. Iím not Independence Dayís biggest fan, but at least when I watch that film I can have fun. Skyline doesnít seem sure if it wants to be a serious contender for disturbing, thought provoking sci-fi or just a comedy, the two together donít work here at all. No matter how much the directorís try to convince you this is a serious film, it all falls flat again with some of the worst scripting I have seen all year.

[image]http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/skyline7-300x124.jpg[/image]
The effects, I suppose, do make up for the script, they are stunning so hats off to those effects people, and with any luck their next film, World Invasion:Battle L.A , should be a major improvement. That said, you cannot fault the effects here, they are flawless and on the big screen look pretty damn amazing. The giant aliens look fantastic our in the open and in full view, although they do seem a bit stupid. The small aliens also loos amazing, but again, no fault of the effects people, they get involved in situations that become silly. I mean, when you see one of the cast having a punch up with a blob which has a mouth and tentacles, it doesnít give off that wow factor, it looks dreadful and I was begging for it to stop. The spaceships looks great, but again, no fault of the effects people, the ships can rebuild themselves???? Nothing is ever really explained here and it irritated me. Normally, I donít like explanations if a film is clever enough to force me to make up my own mind, generally I respect that. Here though, it felt like the writers just couldnít be bothered and thatís one of the major flaws with this film, it feels lazy. Hell, they didnít seem to know how to finish the damn thing!

[image]http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/skyline5-300x124.jpg[/image]
About five times before he film finally stopped punishing me I thought it was going to end, and it actually hurt everytime it carried on! We do get an Independence Day style fight in the sky involving planes and spacecraft, we get the heroes bit where they just might end up dying, and then we get a really REALLY daft bit on an alien ship. I wonít go into details but it is quite possibly the stupidest ending I have seen all year and it quite literally made my blood boil. I actually had to keep asking myself ďreally? This is actually happening and this is how they intend to end it?Ē. It makes no sense and feels like a lazy, quick way to end a lazy, stupid film saved only by its special effects. Skyline is a bad film, and is not the best way to start this new wave of alien invasion films coming up over the next few months. Roll on Monsters and World Invasion: Battle LA.

3/10

you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

See more of my reviews here under the name Matt Wavish :
Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to Edward Nygma)
Post #: 34
RE: skyline - 16/11/2010 12:55:11 PM   
superdan

This could have been a good film, if it had been given a proper director, script and a more capable cast. As it is, the first 15-20 mins plays out like a deeply unpleasant version of Entourage, and it goes downhill from there. Little happens, and not in a good way since the directors manage to leech nearly all tension out of promising scenes. The whole thing is a bland incoherent mess with aliens that just fail to project any menace and a cast that fails abjectly to arouse any sympathy.

Utter balls, the worst sci-fi film I've seen for some time which is a shame because the trailer and basic premise of the film held real potential.

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 35
RE: skyline - 16/11/2010 9:37:18 PM   
hampstead bandit

thanks for the warning!

I was going to go and spend my hard earned yesterday seeing this in an expensive cinema in London

but I'll think I'll wait until it hits the home rental market (won't be long?)..

cheers!

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 36
RE: skyline - 17/11/2010 9:43:39 AM   
Marwood

What a load.

I'll give the Strause Brothers credit for managing to create the effects they did on a tiny budget but as they're FX artists by trade that's a given really.

Everything else though had a case of deja vu or was just boring; I think these guys have proved now that they're pretty poor directors, this was their chance to show that AVPR was a blip by producing something outside of the studios that was "theirs". However as with AVPR what they've shown is a knack for effects and some action but nothing else.

Poor, piss poor.

Bilbo: What about the Ewoks? They were rubbish.

Tim: Yeah but Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like f***ing Shaft!

(in reply to hampstead bandit)
Post #: 37
RE: skyline - 17/11/2010 10:20:48 AM   
lukeyboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Edward Nygma

I've seen some bad films this year. I mean, for the love of god I saw Furry Vengeance! But this was BAD. Oh my days...where do I start?

I think saying Skyline is derivative is understating things quite a bit: Skyline has nothing new or†interesting†to offer. Sure there are special effects but they're hardly impressive and it just looks like someone played Crysis on their PC and pasted some alien ships from the game in an otherwise derelict straight-to-video†sci-fi turkey. Oh, and the aliens look like vaginas. I kid you not: vaginas.What is really painful about Skyline however†is the acting. Holy god the acting... Skyline has some of the worst acting I have seen in a very long time. It is shameful that these people were even paid for such horrendous performances. It made The Happening look like A Clockwork Orange.

I can handle crap sci-fi but this was just abysmal. It felt like the whole thing had been written by a pre-pubescent Half Life fan with a million dollars to spare. The 5 main characters were astonishingly dislikable and empty so there was literally no reason to care...about anything or anyone.

I like a good sci-fi B movie...but this isn't one of them. I can't give any more than 2 stars to Skyline (one star for the effects, one for the hilarious†ending) and where Kim Newman found that third star...is beyond me. Really this is a 1 star film covered in sprinkles. Oh screw the sprinkles: one star it is.

For that reason only - i'm in! 5 stars for the Aliens looking like Vagina's!!

I feel like i'm Han Solo, your Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi - and we're in that FUCKED UP bar!!

Post #: 38
RE: skyline - 17/11/2010 1:52:46 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

Oh, and the aliens look like vaginas. I kid you not: vaginas.

It reminds me of the Predator aliens, they were quite the potty mouth lot too! All right, I'll get my coat..

Before I do, given I mentioned the aerial dogfight in the film, check out this one:

YouTube

I don't think 'manic' begins to describe it.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 17/11/2010 3:27:40 PM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

Post #: 39
RE: skyline - 17/11/2010 9:10:06 PM   
Edward Nygma

quote:

ORIGINAL: lukeyboy

quote:

I think saying Skyline is derivative is understating things quite a bit: Skyline has nothing new or interesting to offer. Sure there are special effects but they're hardly impressive and it just looks like someone played Crysis on their PC and pasted some alien ships from the game in an otherwise derelict straight-to-video sci-fi turkey. Oh, and the aliens look like vaginas. I kid you not: vaginas.What is really painful about Skyline however is the acting. Holy god the acting... Skyline has some of the worst acting I have seen in a very long time. It is shameful that these people were even paid for such horrendous performances. It made The Happening look like A Clockwork Orange.

I like a good sci-fi B movie...but this isn't one of them. I can't give any more than 2 stars to Skyline (one star for the effects, one for the hilarious ending) and where Kim Newman found that third star...is beyond me. Really this is a 1 star film covered in sprinkles. Oh screw the sprinkles: one star it is.

For that reason only - i'm in! 5 stars for the Aliens looking like Vagina's!!

Still can't believe I paid money to see some guy punch a blue vagina...

Oh and this line: "Vaya con dios MOTHERF***er!" (not as awesome as it sounds)

Ugh...

Ben. Affleck.

(in reply to lukeyboy)
Post #: 40
Utter rubbish save your money - 17/11/2010 10:54:40 PM   
Neilb73

This had and looked as though it had such promise in the adverts. It's funny how they lock you in with the best bits of the film, strangely like the blue lights featured in the film as well. Only you couldn't avoid those where as you can avoid going to see this.
The film starts with everyone asleep and blue lights decending from the LA Skies.. Our *coughs loudly hero Jarrod is woken up by his other half asking whether it is morning. We then go to another room where party guests are sleeping a heavy nights partying off. Suddenly one wakes up and like a moth to a light is drawn to the blue light and disappears. Then our hero *coughs again runs and gets caught up in the light but gets saved by his best friend.
What follows next is truly awful...You'd think in this day and age people could come up with something original. But on this occassion they fail miserably. Mother ships appear from lightening clouds (ID4), Panic stricken people trying to escape with shaky camera (Cloverfield), People hold up in kitchen while alien probes with feelers (WOW) It even rips off the scene with Tim Robins/Tom Cruise. Inaffective airforce, navy and army and major cities demolished (ID4) Cities nuked to knock out mother ship (ID4) again.
The only saving grace is when the major characters get picked off slowly 1 by 1. I couldn't connect with any of the characters and was quite pleased to see the back of most of them.
But the worst bit is by far the ending. After finally admitting defeat knowing they're doomed our remaining 2 heroes get sucked up into a mother ship. After 85 minutes we finally find out why the aliens came to earth in the first place. I wont spoil it for you but lets put it this way you'll need to remove one to like this film. We see the said objects being eaten and oh there is a special red coloured one. Whose could this be? No it could be.. yep it is... Jarrods... and here the film ends. Absolute preposterous ending which left me thinking why? what was the point? and i

Post #: 41
RE: Utter rubbish save your money - 18/11/2010 12:37:05 PM   
paulyboy

**Spoilers!**

I enjoy a healthy dose of Sci-Fi bollocks, and up until the last 10 minutes this was delivering just that. Yes the acting needs work and yes the script takes frequent nose dives into hilarity, but the premise, special effects and execution are decent enough for the most part to hold your attention.

Then the finale kicks in and from the moment Jared uses an alien as a punchbag (a sequence one hundred times sillier than that god awful scene in Independence Day when Will Smith plants one on E.T) to the end credits I was pretty much speechless, and I'm not sure why.

I honestly can't figure out if the script writers and the Brothers Strausse deserve kudos for having the balls to write and direct one of the loopiest endings to a film I've ever seen or if they need straight jackets for thinking it could work. It's genius or lunacy and I can't figure out which. That a treatment is apparently already written for a sequel boggles the mind, but you know what, I kinda want to see it, if only to satisfy my curiosity of how utterly bonkers said sequel will be if it picks up where this one left off.

Crazy!

3/5

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to Neilb73)
Post #: 42
Skyline or Skip - 18/11/2010 3:56:08 PM   
Duane Benzie

How on earth this piece of garbage got made is beyond me, this is the worst film of the year so far. effects looked average, acting was on par with Hollyoaks, story was ridiculous even for a sci fi movie, the ending just makes my head hurt.
I'd rather watch an old woman try to park a nissan skyline for an hour and a half than sit through this again.

Post #: 43
RE: Utter rubbish save your money - 18/11/2010 7:01:06 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulyboy
a sequence one hundred times sillier than that god awful scene in Independence Day when Will Smith plants one on E.T

Oh come on! He wasn't exactly going to offer it his last cigar and a front-row seat to enjoy the fireworks (1). "ID4" doesn't venture beyond its own confines, it's a marquee blockbuster film with no other pretensions than simple entertainment which it delivers. It seems with "Skyline" they took the ideas they liked from various alien/monster invasion films and stuck in some shoddy characterisation and scant dialogue. Shame but I'll see the film on DVD nonetheless just for the aerial battles.

1. "I could've been at a barbeque!"

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 44
Drivel from start to finish!. - 18/11/2010 9:28:50 PM   
Mr.Screen

Thumbs up on the production values a huge thumbs down on everything else (with the exception of Zayas' and Faison's performances). I was really hoping for a decent twist in the tale. But all I got was a derivative slice of rubbish that was only worth the time for some decent eye candy.

Sucky sucky only price of cinema ticket. Me bore you long time.

Post #: 45
RE: Utter rubbish save your money - 19/11/2010 10:43:11 AM   
paulyboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Emyr Thy King

"ID4" doesn't venture beyond its own confines, it's a marquee blockbuster film with no other pretensions than simple entertainment which it delivers.

Hey I love Independence Day! Not liking that sequence with Smith and the Alien has nothing to do with it being out of place in the films overall tone (I appreciate it's supposed to be silly), it's just shit.

It was a crap comparison to make granted, mainly because ID4 is aiming for the funny bone in that scene and Skyline isn't, I just couldn't think of another film where somone punches a tentacled alien!

< Message edited by paulyboy -- 19/11/2010 10:48:10 AM >

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 46
RE: Utter rubbish save your money - 19/11/2010 11:28:39 AM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulyboy
it's just shit.

No it's not, that god-awful speech by the U.S president was. The alien is untouchable due to its advanced technology until it attempts to get out of the hatch and then *kapow!*. Firstly the irony that he had to get close to it to hurt it. Secondly the "Welcome to Earth" line, i.e. welcome to our world where you can get hurt.

I don't think it beats the BBC's "ID4" story where Patrick Moore manages to punch an alien!

""EITHER I'M CONCUSSED, OR
I'M WATCHING PATRICK
MOORE FISTFIGHTING WITH
AN EXTRATERRESTRIAL!"

DMaggs

Independence Day: UK

"Tagline: It's the Battle of Britain all over again, but this time our enemies aren't just unstoppable. They're inhuman." - haha!

Here's the cast list for it:

Nicky Campbell - Himself
Patrick Moore - Himself
Mark Goodier - Himself
Toyah Willcox - Flight Lieutenant Becky Johnson
Simon Treves - Wing Commander John Reginald
Colin Baker - Group Captain Phil Johnson
Peter Serafinowicz - Flight Lieutenant Max Brett
Toby Longworth - Flight Lieutenant Chris Thomson
Mark Courtney - Sentry Technical Director
William Hootkins - Orson Welles
Dannii Minogue - Special alien effect - what in the hell?

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 19/11/2010 11:42:21 AM >

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 47
Sorry Guys but I Really liked it! - 19/11/2010 12:46:45 PM   
BADBOYBROM

Went yesterday after my Nans funeral to escape reality. I knew about the bizarre ending beforehand but I did'nt let it deter me. Save the ending which is either total Genius or the maddest thing ever (Is a sequel in the works?) I throughly enjoyed it. I can't understand all the hate as I have seen much much worse. I considered it well made and it never bored me. I thought the effects for the most part were spot on and the designs very interesting. It was perfect 50's B movie fodder about Brain eating aliens. I would recommend and think anyone umming or arring abouit going may enjoy this far more than the previous reviwers would suggest.

< Message edited by BADBOYBROM -- 19/11/2010 12:50:51 PM >

Post #: 48
RE: Sorry Guys but I Really liked it! - 19/11/2010 5:57:53 PM   
Dr Lenera

With awful reviews and the subject of a lawsuit from Sony [supposedly the filmmakers, those naughty Strause Brothers, made this secretly while working on Battlefield Earth:Los Angeles and stole some of itís ideas!], Skyline is pretty poor, though maybe not quite as bad as all that.  Obviously made quite cheaply,  with most of the spectacular stuff witnessed by characters looking out of a window, it boasts some impressive special effects and has some interestingly designed spaceships and creatures.  Unfortunately, itís sunk by horrible writing [typical example,  after one escape attempt has resulted in a death, one character suggests they try again, another says how itís stupid because it went so badly the previous time, and the other guy replies ďbut weíll be quiet this timeĒ], which doesnít really tells us anything about the aliens nor give us characters to actually like, terrible acting and completely inconsistent direction- for the most part everything seems to be from the characterís point of view, which explains why we only see the bottom half of a giant monster, but during an air battle in the distance we see close-ups of the action.  And what the hell was with that ending?   There are a few good moments but overall this shows what happens when special effects people decide to make an actual film [and I was willing to forgive the Strause Brothers for their shoddy Alien Vs.Predator effort if Skyline was good]. 4/10

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to BADBOYBROM)
Post #: 49
RE: Skyline - 20/11/2010 7:13:00 PM   
R W

Directors: Colin Strause, Greg Strause
Screenwriters: Joshua Cordes, Liam OíDonnell
Starring: Eric Balfour, Donald Faison, Scottie Thompson

Synopsis
When strange lights descend upon the city of Los Angeles, a small group of people hide from an extraterrestrial force which threatens to swallow the entire human population from the face of the Earth.

Review
For many years, sci-fi cinema is a genre you have to spend so much money on, in order to create the spectacle. For Hollywood studios, they want the filmmaker to tone the intelligence, make it loud and something robotic has to happen within the third act. Luckily in recent memory, most low-budget sci-fi pics donít apply to these rules so weíve previously seen sophisticated work and hopefully more in the future (such as the upcoming Monsters). However, there are the unfortunate exceptions.

Following the horribleness they made with AvP: Requiem, the Brothers Strause has financed their latest work without the assistance of major studios, and yet it is a Hollywood mishmash of everything weíve seen before. Like Eli Roth whose love of cabin-in-the-woods films that lead him to make Cabin Fever, the brothers seem to have watched Independence Day, Spielbergís War of the Worlds and Cloverfield. However unlike Eli Roth, they donít bring anything new to the area and whilst watching it, you will go: ďThatís from such-and-suchÖĒ etc.

Financed by the directors themselves, this film which costs $10-20 million does have a blockbuster sensibility to appeal the mainstream audience. Having a visual effects background, the directorial duo seems to have spent the money on the impressive CGI, which involve the freakishly-designed flying saucers and squid-like creatures which have a taste for brains.

The one aspect this shares with Cloverfield is a dreary beginning featuring a drunken party with a bunch of annoying young rich people, to which you just want the invasion to start now. With a script featuring weak characterisation, the simple question is what can the actors bring to it? The simple answer is not very much as 24ís Eric Balfour is a bland lead whilst you canít be serious towards that guy who played Turk from Scrubs.

Verdict
Despite the impressive CGI done on a limited budget, the Brothers Strause bring nothing new to a familiar genre and what you get is a rather dull piece of Hollywood trash, even without any major studio backing it up.

Post #: 50
RE: Skyline - 21/11/2010 10:26:41 AM   
luckypunk

If aliens attacked the cast of the OC it still would not be half as risible as this.

3 stars Kim? Fuck me I'm staying well clear of your dungeon.

(in reply to R W)
Post #: 51
RE: Skyline - 21/11/2010 11:34:44 AM   
BatSpider

quote:

ORIGINAL: luckypunk

If aliens attacked the cast of the OC it still would not be half as risible as this.

3 stars Kim? Fuck me I'm staying well clear of your dungeon.

Kimmo Newman strikes again! Kimmo! Kimmo! LOL! So this bruvsta reckons Skyline is better the The Book of Eli. Cheers Empire reader reviewers that I ain't wasted my loot on watchin this crap! Brothers Strause better off with new career as Hollywood Boulevard rent boys, and they should watch stuff like Repo Man to see how to do brilliant sci-fi on the cheap.   

"Baby, you make me wish I had THREE hands!"

(in reply to luckypunk)
Post #: 52
Unoriginal - 24/11/2010 8:56:20 AM   
trueborndjross

Coming across like a hybrid version of Independence Day/Cloverfield/War of the Worlds (but failing to be as good as any of those films) this is strictly B movie territory but with big budget style effects. It's the effects that really stand out in this movie as the story is pretty pants, the script is a bit dodgy and the ending...well I'll not mention that! I'd say wait for the DVD/BD but I wouldn't bother as you're not going to appreciate the effects on a small screen and there's not much else worth checking out here.

Post #: 53
No spoilers.... - 26/11/2010 10:05:10 PM   
Bubba76

It was going okaaaay until the last 20 minutes! Completely bonkers ending!!! Reminded me of Japanese Manga (the way their stories don't always make sense and have plot twists without explanation) Me and my mate couldn't stop laughing :-D

Post #: 54
Awful - 1/12/2010 10:14:15 AM   
happiboy

Strauss Brother 1 : " Hey bro how are we gonna finish this movie ?" , Strauss Brother 2 : " Who cares , after watching 90 minutes of this crap the audience will be so braindead they wont give a damn, just stop it right THERE, and roll the credits...."

Post #: 55
PANTS PANTS PANTS - 2/12/2010 12:09:09 PM   
yummymummyshell

After 8 weeks of changing wet and poopy nappies and feeding my newborn son, my partner talked me into going to the cinema to see "Skyline". After much consideration, we got a babysitter and looked forward to at least two hours of good entertainment baby free. Were we sadly mistaken!
All I can say is this film was pants! Very large Bridget Jones Pants!
The biggest hint that we should have taken was the fact that we were the only ones in the cinema to watch it. We did consider walking out half way through but paying £12.60 we decided we had to stay because they dont issue refunds.
Then Empire lands on my doorstep, and I read that "Kim Newman" gave the film 3 stars! 3 bloody stars!!!!!!
Did you go and actually sit through the whole film or just watch the trailers?
Were you drunk when you watched it?
Are you getting a kick back from the director?
The film gave the impression that it was written by two twelve year olds sitting around a table and just saying what came into their heads.
"We could do this and then we could do this".
The final straw was the ending!
Maybe if you are of lower intelligence this film is worth 3 stars but for us it was bloody shite.
It was back to my gorgeous son and a poopy nappy after 2 dreadful hours that I cannot get back.
Come on Empire pull your socks up and write proper reviews.
Unfortunately you do not do minus stars.

< Message edited by yummymummyshell -- 2/12/2010 12:13:00 PM >

Post #: 56
Great Indie-SyFy entertainment! - 3/12/2010 12:19:15 AM   
tothemax100

This film does struggle with the character development and the plotting is kind of like Dawn of the Dead meets Independence Day. But if you can get over that there actually quite a good SyFy suspense end-of-world action B-movie here, even though it is made by the same directors who made Aliens Vs Preditors. It does suspense well and the action is actually excellently done! The special effects are superb and given that it only took 10-20million to make its' looks lavish beyond its means. I hate the fact that an idependant movie like this gets such a hard time from reviewers when it is a brave attempt at trying not to bow to the control exerted by the big film studios. Ok it is derrivative - big time! It rips off robo-aliens from the Matrix with human harvesting from War of the Worlds but it does a good job while its at it! Ok it aint no District 9, but what really annoys me is how movies like Transformers get made and even have sequels - somehow! And their budgets are way more lavish plus the acting and plot is 10 times worse than this! Its a B-Move folks and limited though it is, it does what it does well. The ending is a bit sudden, but apparently the directors want to make a sequel. I'd rather go see this than most of the main stream rubbish that the studios churn out!

Post #: 57
RE: Skyline - 8/12/2010 2:51:15 PM   
captainrentboy

I just watched it, yes it was absolutely rediculous, with some of the shittiest acting I've seen in a cinema release for a long time. But y'know what? As a whole it entertained me more, with its pure stupidity and OTT action scenes, than Monsters ever did.
If I had to sit down in a couple of weeks and rewatch one of the two, it would be Skyline everytime.

And that ending? Pure fucking cheesy brilliance.

Post #: 58
- 8/12/2010 3:06:06 PM   
reminn

Fair.

Post #: 59
RE: Awesome Sauce - 11/12/2010 11:51:21 PM   
Invader_Ace

Ha! Yes, it is a cheese fest. I enjoyed it immensely.
Seriously can not understand the intense hate being posted. It's a good film about Brain Stealing Aliens.
If that phrase grabs you, you will enjoy it. If it makes you roll your eyes, avoid.

I look forward to the sequel with the survivors roaming the post-alien world!

(in reply to reminn)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: My 3 year old could write a better script **SPOILER** Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI