Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 - 23/11/2010 3:42:07 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felix

One thing that I'm surprised I haven't seen more praise for was the animated section, thought it was stunning.

D'oh! I'm rubbish at remembering things in films, even immediately after I have come out. That was my favourite part. I absolutely loved how it was filmed

Oh shit yeah, me too. Anyone our age probably needs to see it a few times before remembering it all.
I thought that bit was really clever and explained the Hallows perfectly for anyone who hadn't read the book.

Also I enjoyed Harry and Hermione's dance. It was fun and tragic at the same time.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 31
RE: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 - 23/11/2010 5:41:40 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

quote:

One thing that I'm surprised I haven't seen more praise for was the animated section, thought it was stunning.

D'oh! I'm rubbish at remembering things in films, even immediately after I have come out. That was my favourite part. I absolutely loved how it was filmed

Oh shit yeah, me too. Anyone our age probably needs to see it a few times before remembering it all.
I thought that bit was really clever and explained the Hallows perfectly for anyone who hadn't read the book.

Also I enjoyed Harry and Hermione's dance. It was fun and tragic at the same time.

Aye, hearing one of the Bad Seeds' most beautiful songs was an unexpecetd treat.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 32
RE: Bloody Magic - 24/11/2010 12:26:49 AM   
chilipenguin

Just got back from seeing this (at the gf's behest) and for the 7th time all I can say is 'meh'. The characters flash by so quickly you never get a chance to invest, the second act was dull and the elf cgi was terrible.

The one saving grace was the sublime animated section. Totally sucked me in and the style choice was inspired. If the whole film had been animated in the same way, it would have been a million times better.

I think I pretty much agree with the 3/5 Empire gave it.

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

New short story/portfolio blog online HERE
Post #: 33
RE: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 - 24/11/2010 11:10:22 AM   
mystra

quote:

yes it was brilliant, and just what was needed... i was thinking about how they were going to tackle the story and did have my fingers crossed for something this beautifully animated and just kept thinking "nahhh they wont and it'll just be live action and it'll be just ok" and boooom there it was, it was just magical and so perfect for the tone of the tale

but in a way i'm glad no-one mentioned it...as it was a great surprise!

Overall i really enjoyed the film, but then i am a fan, but to beat Azkaban for me... i need to see part 2 and watch them back to back until my eyes fall out lol... great film but i need the next part now dammit! even if i've read the books and know what's happened anyway lol

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 34
RE: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 - 24/11/2010 11:19:50 AM   
pete_traynor

quote:

It was the best part of the film hands down! Albeit, a tad Hellboy 2 opening… but beguiling and wonderfully conceived nonetheless.

Perhaps the reason they didn’t mention it in the review is that it makes for a wonderful little ray of sunshine in an otherwise pretty slow and dull film. Potentially, they didn’t want to ruin the surprise? For fans of that section, and there seem to be a few here, good news:

http://www.slashfilm.com/tag/pan/

On his Harry Potter work, this is one to watch.

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 35
RE: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 - 24/11/2010 1:10:06 PM   
superdan

Saw it the other day, and I'd have to agree that it's a 3 star film. There's a period of about 45 minutes where virtually nothing happens, Ron does his usual and gets a monk on about nothing, they get captured rather easily out of the blue and then, well, it just ends. No fuss, no real warning (certainly not for someone like myself who hasn't read the books) - it just ends like the end of a chapter. Plot holes abound but I assume that is more to do with the source material than anything else.

It's not a bad film, but it's certainly not a great film either. Azkaban was the high point that is still to be bettered.

Edit: Completely agree about the animated scene, that was brilliantly done.

< Message edited by superdan -- 24/11/2010 1:11:07 PM >

(in reply to pete_traynor)
Post #: 36
RE: - 24/11/2010 6:54:56 PM   
Dr Lenera

The omens weren't good for this movie.  It comes from David Yates who directed the dull last two movies and ensures the series has a downward slide after Presoner Of Ahkaban.  It's also the first half of the last book, which if like me you think the films are mostly too long, have lots of pointless scenes and comprise a story which is tediously stretched out overall, does not promise much and just seems like a way to make more money.  Nonetheless it gets off to a pretty good first third with lots of action and a real sense of urgency for once.  After a while though it reverts to mediocre type and probably the most inept plotting J.K.Rowling has ever thought up, with a bewildering number of things to find/use and Harry actually himself achieving very little.  Suspense is almost entirely disappated and bringing together lots of characters from previous episodes might be fun but gives many of them very little to do. Of course the villains are enjoyably hammy as always, and overall the special effects are excellent.  Yates does seem to have matured as a director, with some striking shots and an interesting flashback done entirely in shadow puppets [or CG replicas of them], though the brownish look given to most of the film gets tiresome after a while.  Unfortunately the brief action sequences sometimes suffer from overly fast editing [though at least little shakycam so I suppose we should be grateful] where things are often just a blur-this is especially true of a broomstick chase, which had the potential to be a really great sequence.  The main leads remain average rather than good.  Better than expected, and there is a [despite all this talk of increasing darkness with each film] cosy familiarity with these movies that is hard to dislike, despite the fact they're rarely that good.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/
Post #: 37
RE: RE: - 24/11/2010 10:00:44 PM   
hiptobesquare_x

I really loved this. I'm undoubtedly blinded/biased because I've grown up with the books and the films, but I loved this. Too much probably.

"I hate coconut. Not the flavour, but the consistency."

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 38
RE: - 25/11/2010 1:07:49 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

Yates does seem to have matured as a director, with some striking shots and an interesting flashback done entirely in shadow puppets [or CG replicas of them]

Yates can’t really be given credit for that scene, as he did not direct it. It was directed by an animator called Ben Hibon. Who, it seems, is increasingly being recognised as the most talented person involved in any visual aspect of the film… and rightly so. It was a gorgeous section.

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/
Post #: 39
RE: RE: - 25/11/2010 4:39:46 PM   
Deviation

Why does that remind me of Hellboy 2?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

Post #: 40
RE: RE: - 26/11/2010 4:32:53 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

Why does that remind me of Hellboy 2?

A just observation and one I myself made but one page ago. Similar indeed but not a carbon copy, so Hibon still deserves credit as it was beautiful animation. Did check his IMDB page to see if he’d animated that Hellboy 2 work but doesn’t look like it was him.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 41
RE: Baffling and cringey? - 27/11/2010 1:21:59 AM   
white mage

I found this movie really fast pace, but then again every Harry Potter movie is like this. I found it very good, up there with movies 3 and 4. All the actors did a great job, especailly Rupent Grint and Emma Watson. My favorite part was when Hermionie was cutting Harry's hair and she went, 'Oh God!" and Harry reached back thinking she cut a chunk of his hair out. I also thought the dancing part was sweet.

We do not write the songs, we live them
Post #: 42
RE: Baffling and cringey? - 27/11/2010 9:28:23 AM   
rancorpuppet

After ostensibly recycling the same story for six books and films, Deathly Hallows changes pace and could even have been a Bourne style fantasy and there are hints that this was partially the intention. Yet Rowling painted herself and the filmmakers into a corner with the remaining fact that these are theme park books and films, attractions and ideas borrowed from sources where they made some sense then relocated to a time and place where they make no sense at all.
Oh, those elves are like Gollum! Oh the horcrux is like the one ring! Oh, Voldemort is the emperor from Star Wars crossed with the witch from sleeping beauty!
It is watchable, but the stilted dialogue, infantile view of the world and the clearly stolen artefacts from other, better children's fiction and film make you think of those props and characters in the context of the place they came from.
The writing of this particular golden goose came at the apex of Bloomsbury's demand for more Potter books from Rowling. As she sat down to write in the middle of last decade, 'Revenge of the Sith', The Twight series of books and the Lord of the Rings movies would have been available to Rowling and their inspiration and that deadline racing, "oblivious writing" are all very apparent in the book and have travelled wholesale into the film.
Not a terrible film, but a very strange one. All of the characters being ciphers imported from elsewhere means they play out autistically on the page and screen, defying empathy. Where we are meant to laugh, cry, be angered or be scared, there is no real truth or cohesion between the cut and paste pantomime baddies, teen fiction goodies and off the peg monsters and spells.
Patrician politicians and 'magical' officials meet and greet the teen protagonists in a way that would be embarrassing in a 'The Day  I met the Queen' effort from a school pupil. All in all the movies possess incredible special effects hung upon a story that would appear to be badly done, unoriginal fantasy from the pen of an antisocial teenager.

(in reply to white mage)
Post #: 43
Potter 7: Part 1 - 27/11/2010 11:30:23 PM   
Alistair

I have to laugh at some of the comments in some of the reviews here. These comments seem to be criticising the film for convenient plot devices, which they just aren't (Why was the sword at the bottom of a frozen lake? Why did a doe just turn up?). Answer: It's one part of two films! You'll get your answers.  The doe is connected to, probably, the best storyline in all the books, but I will say no more for fear of spoilers.

I thought the film was excellent. Genuinely mature and actually quite dark and violent. I've recently had a Potter marathon (spread over a few weeks or so) and it has been amazing to witness the evolution of the films. I suppose the first film had to be quite 'safe' as it was just a kids film, with kids, for kids. All these kids have grown up, and so have the films with them.

I won't say much else as a lot of ground has been covered in various reviews. I can't wait for the final film, where all questions will be answered (some of which will be devastating) and, of course; the final battle.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift...that's why they call it the present.
Post #: 44
RE: RE: - 28/11/2010 12:27:53 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

Yates does seem to have matured as a director, with some striking shots and an interesting flashback done entirely in shadow puppets [or CG replicas of them]

Yates can't really be given credit for that scene, as he did not direct it. It was directed by an animator called Ben Hibon. Who, it seems, is increasingly being recognised as the most talented person involved in any visual aspect of the film… and rightly so. It was a gorgeous section.

Thanks for that info/correction ,and yes, it was probably the most interesting part of the film!

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

Post #: 45
RE: . - 29/11/2010 8:08:26 PM   
Newander

Really enjoyed this movie...roll on the next one.

To indeed be a god!
Post #: 46
RE: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 - 4/12/2010 12:46:35 PM   
Jeevan Singh

I loved the movie, it isn't my favorite one out of the series but is still magically made with some fine acting from the all star British cast. Including some of the best cinematography and scenery out of the whole series. I can't wait for the last installment.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 47
RE: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 - 4/12/2010 5:18:06 PM   
Jeevan Singh

I loved the movie, it isn't my favorite one out of the series but is still magically made with some fine acting from the all star British cast. Including some of the best cinematography and scenery out of the whole series. I can't wait for the last installment.

Post #: 48
RE: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 - 9/12/2010 2:18:14 PM   
tbird

You can tell it's only part of a whole, but Part One is a cracking beginning to the end of the biggest movie franchise of all time.

A lot has improved in this movie. The three leads have mastered acting and all come across as believable and emotional beings in this film much more than any of the others, which is crucial as they pretty much carry the film. In particular, Ron's descent into despair as he wears the locket horcrux is particularly effective.
The visual effects are stunning, particularly on Kreacher, Harry's family house elf, who is so realistic he could easily challenge Gollum as best FX of recent years.
The supporting cast performs spectacularly as usual, with welcome additions from Rhys Ifans and Domhnall Gleeson, which leaves the only disappointment as Tom Felton, as Draco, who continues to be horrendous and unable to portray anything other than gurning.

Overall a fantastic film full of great set pieces (the 7 Potters and the break into the Ministry my faves), and a brilliant build up of expecation for Part Two.

"Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can't see where it keeps its brain"

(in reply to Jeevan Singh)
Post #: 49
RE: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 - 11/12/2010 4:56:09 PM   
princessa

Agree with the three star rating.  This film was okay but nothing special. 

It started of well; i particularly loved the action sequences especially when they broke into the ministry of magic.  But the middle bit with all the camping bored me and IMO dragged on for way too long.

The acting from all the leads is getting better and Emma Watson for the most part was surprisingly good. 

(in reply to tbird)
Post #: 50
Raod Trip- Hogwarts Style.... - 13/12/2010 11:52:52 AM   
Boromirs Redemption

The best part about the Harry Potter series for me, a fan of the books, has always been the cast. The magic, escapism and tribulations of the main characters are compelling, but for me it's the British heavyweights that have lifted the films high. Rickman, for example, swoops into every film, picks the scene up under his arm and says "right, I'll take this". Coltrane, Harris, Smith, Gambon, Gleeson, Walters, Williams, Oldman, Thewlis, Bonham-Carter, Fiennes, Hurt, Isaacs...the list seems endless. And with the main three youngsters finding their feet in the early films, you could always rely on the older heads to carry the film for you.

Here though, the onus is firmly on the main three. No Oldman and Walters to help Radcliffe out of his comfort zone here, nor Rickman to bully the trio into fear. And I thought they were excellent throughout. They have really became comfortable with their characters and it shows in Deathly Hallows. Radcliffe in particular has come on leaps and bounds for me over the past three films- I felt that he started to 'act' at the end of Order of the Phoenix when he is possessed by Voldemort. He has improved immensely from the awkward, wooden kid in Philosopher's Stone. Grint has always for me been the most natural of the three and here moves from comic relief into more serious realms; storming off in a big jealous huff over his would-be missus. Watson is excellent in this one also, mixing motherly anger ("I'm ALWAYS mad at him") with compassion, when she fashions a wreath for Harry's parent's grave. All three are worthy of praise and credit here because for much of the film, they are on screen. They survive this exposure well.

As for the film, we all know it's the warm-up to the main act, the support group before man band, but the film quite happily sits well on it's own, with some cracking set-pieces- the snatcher chase to the end is well filmed with the 'crack!' of spells being cast and splintering trees, as well as

Post #: 51
continued... - 13/12/2010 12:03:22 PM   
Boromirs Redemption

...Dobby's 'hero moment' in Malfoy Manor (how heartbreaking was that, by the way? I thought he was nearly on a annoyingness par with Jar Jar Binks in Chamber of Secrets, but he is ace here). When the older heads are called upon they deliver as you'd expect; Isaacs as the terrified scyophant trying desperately to get back into his master's good books, and Bonham Carter is superb as the Black family psycho. If there is some criticism here it's that a) there is not enough Rickman, and b) Fiennes hasn't yet been allowed to show us all just why Voldemort is the baddie that everyone fears so much. At present, Bellatrix and Snape are much more fearsome. I'm hoping that both points a) and b) will be remedied in part two.

Pace wise, the film is fairly good, and the stand out part of the entire thing is the daring Ministry of Magic break in, and subseqeunt break out. Special mention too, to the effects department for turning a blinder with the multiple Harry scene at the beginning,

The film us suitably dark (Hermione having to remove herself from her parent's life, Hedwig's sacrfice, Voldemort breaking into Dumbledore's tomb) and funny in places- Dobby methodically unscrewing the chandelier at the end raises laughs- to keep everyone happy. Roll on the Battle of Hogwarts....

Post #: 52
Gone in 60 seconds - 16/12/2010 5:23:14 PM   
soulbyte

I thought this was hands down the best movie. I've always been pretty so-so on the films, with order of the phoenix and goblet of fire raising the bar over the others. I especially wasn't looking forward to this one as a) it was half a book and b) the camping sequence in the book was godawful drudge. I was wrong - this looked amazing, was scary, pretty grim in places, whilst still keeping the harry potter fun somehow. Dobby's scene was perfect, and to top it off, Emma and Daniel have learnt to act somewhere between this one and the last one - hurrah!

Post #: 53
RE: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 - 27/12/2010 1:12:49 PM   
robwillphill

I've given up with Harry Potter. Apart from the first three (and possibly the fifth) they are all pretty much average. Potter has lost it's magic.

5/10

< Message edited by robwillphill -- 27/12/2010 1:13:09 PM >

http://youtube.com/audience

Check out my latest films:
- http://youtu.be/Z2zrRi06Rb0
- http://dai.ly/fSojJ3

---------------------------------------------------

Stewie: We're playing house
Lois: But that boy's tied up
Stewie: It's Roman Polanski's house

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 54
A bit of Potter magic - 30/12/2010 10:08:57 AM   
trueborndjross

I thought this was definitely one of the better Potter films. Despite a slight lull in the middle section the film managed to keep me engrossed for most of the full running time. Some great action sequences, especially the broomstick chase at the beginning, and without a doubt the darkest film yet (possibly a wee bit scary in places for a younger audience), I for one can't wait until part 2.

Post #: 55
Best one so far - 4/3/2011 4:28:26 PM   
tonidepp16

Since the release of both The Philosopher's Stone and The Chamber of Secrets, Deathly Hallows Part 1 has stuck particularly close to the book, only a few bits & pieces missing, but the main storyline still intact, which is more than I can say for the others; I'm not disrespecting the other films in any way as I'm a big fan, but being a fan of both books and films brings out the fan and critic in me as I can view them as both an ordinary film & an adaptation, and between Prisoner of Azkaban and Half Blood Prince, big chunks of important plots has been thrown away consistently. This film however brought the actual magic back, sticking to everything it should and viewing what I've imagined various times while reading. The break off was absolutely immense, leaving everyone on the edge of their seats until July, which I am constantly until it finally comes out.

Post #: 56
Three stars is ridiculous - 12/4/2011 11:45:25 AM   
Ambition

Is there some sort of policy whereby Harry Potter films are reviewed by people who just don't get it? Quote "what should feel fresh and urgent, a cross-country chase flick..." erm, no. That's really not what it's supposed to feel like. At all. And I'm so glad it doesn't. Movie was great, a strong 4 stars. 4 and a half if I could give it

Post #: 57
- 27/4/2011 11:26:32 PM   
BeerMoth

So that's a kids film...? By far the best one so far. Bleak and desperate with some decent action scenes and twists thrown in. My only criticism is that way too many major characters were sped through the story (but hopefully once the 2nd part comes out and watched as a whole film this will be remedied). All in all, looking forward to to summer.
PS. I'm not a major Potter fan in real life...

Post #: 58
Bring On Part 2 - 3/5/2011 7:28:32 PM   
S1lent B0b

This is definitely one of the better Potter films (Up there with Chamber of Secrets & Goblet of Fire) It's action packed but gives a great amount of time to focus on the plot as-well .But at times it can drag,Pro's outweigh the cons though. Part 2 will be Immense

Post #: 59
3 stars - a little harsh? - 6/6/2011 12:17:36 AM   
trainedasninja

This is my 3rd favourite potter film so far, somewhere near the Prisoner of Azkaban and Order of the Phoenix. I would admit that for someone that is not a fan there is nothing of interest here but whats to dislike? Well it isnt flawless, I would agree that some moments feel rushed for example revealing the relationship between Lupin and Tonks (Yikes!) but what does that matter; for the development of its three central characters is where the real strength of this film shines. I would disagree with Empire the dance between Harry and Hermione had real heart and was one of the greatest moments. Its magical scenes as interesting as the interactions between three characters we have seen mature since the 1st. A film that despite its 'part 1' label can stand alone as one of the best Potter films - 4 stars from me

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI