Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top Horror Films Poll

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top Horror Films Poll Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top Horror Films Poll - 9/11/2010 1:59:58 AM   
rawlinson

PA, just sad. 

Gimli, sorry that'd have to be a no to Monsters and Chump.

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 31
RE: Top Horror Films Poll - 9/11/2010 2:01:04 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Phooey.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 32
RE: Top Horror Films Poll - 9/11/2010 2:01:57 AM   
rawlinson

Soz.  There are a couple of L&H films you could have though. 

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 33
RE: Top Horror Films Poll - 9/11/2010 2:02:22 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

How about the first Pirates film. Zombie pirates and such. Or does the curse element make it fantasy?

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

Post #: 34
RE: Top Horror Films Poll - 9/11/2010 2:18:36 AM   
swordsandsandals

I may submit a list of 10 - 20. Just so I can vote for Let the Right One In, Pan's Labyrinth and that scene in LOTR when Bilbo's face goes all scary.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

Post #: 35
RE: Top Horror Films Poll - 9/11/2010 2:19:21 AM   
rawlinson

You know, I'm in two minds about Pirates. Let me think about it and get back to you. I'm leaning towards fantasy, but at the same time it is using a lot of elements from horror mythology throughout the series. I'm torn. Anyone make a strong case either way?

Post #: 36
RE: Top Horror Films Poll - 9/11/2010 2:20:05 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: swordsandsandals

I may submit a list of 10 - 20. Just so I can vote for Let the Right One In, Pan's Labyrinth and that scene in LOTR when Bilbo's face goes all scary.

No to LotR.

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 37
RE: Top Horror Films Poll - 9/11/2010 2:22:43 AM   
swordsandsandals

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

You know, I'm in two minds about Pirates. Let me think about it and get back to you. I'm leaning towards fantasy, but at the same time it is using a lot of elements from horror mythology throughout the series. I'm torn. Anyone make a strong case either way?

It's essentially a ghost story with added swash and buckle, no?

And I was joking about LOTR. Gimli will probably still make a case for it though.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 38
RE: Top Horror Films Poll - 9/11/2010 2:26:19 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I'll always try and make a case for LOTR

Much more better!

Post #: 39
RE: Top Horror Films Poll - 9/11/2010 2:37:23 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: swordsandsandals

quote:

It's essentially a ghost story with added swash and buckle, no?

And I was joking about LOTR. Gimli will probably still make a case for it though.

I know, I was making sure to state it before Gimli tried.

Yeah, the whole big-budget adventure element sways somewhat away from the horror, but it pretty much is just that. William Hope Hodgson wrote a stack of ghost stories about pirates and the sea in general, so yeah, maybe it could go in. I don't expect it to do very well, but unless anyone can make a strong case against it, I think I will take Pirates.

Post #: 40
RE: Top Horror Films Poll - 9/11/2010 5:34:01 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Woohoo for Pirates!

quote:

Well we have ghosts who live in a haunted mountain, plus ghosts who live underwater in marshland. There's possession too, admittedly not by Satan, but the Ring's hold over Frodo, Bilbo and Gollum especially could be seen as supernatural, as is its effect on ageing. Gollum's disfigurement surely counts a some kind of horror, as does the the removal of everything human from the Nazgul. Plus, Saruman's telepathic hold over Theoden. Then if Frankenstein's a horror then so is the birthing of the Uruk-Hai. And there's a giant bastard spider, especially horrific if you suffer from arachnophobia (and it's not called phobia for nothing!) The Balrog is a "demon from an ancient world". And if stuff like Psycho and Silence Of The Lambs can be classed as horror (I've never seen them as such) then any film in which your comrades heads are catapulted at you as weapons should be allowed to. That's scarier than a bloke dressed as his mum.

So yeah, I think we can have LOTR

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 41
RE: Top Horror Films Poll - 9/11/2010 6:07:40 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Woohoo for Pirates!

quote:

Well we have ghosts who live in a haunted mountain, plus ghosts who live underwater in marshland. There's possession too, admittedly not by Satan, but the Ring's hold over Frodo, Bilbo and Gollum especially could be seen as supernatural, as is its effect on ageing. Gollum's disfigurement surely counts a some kind of horror, as does the the removal of everything human from the Nazgul. Plus, Saruman's telepathic hold over Theoden. Then if Frankenstein's a horror then so is the birthing of the Uruk-Hai. And there's a giant bastard spider, especially horrific if you suffer from arachnophobia (and it's not called phobia for nothing!) The Balrog is a "demon from an ancient world". And if stuff like Psycho and Silence Of The Lambs can be classed as horror (I've never seen them as such) then any film in which your comrades heads are catapulted at you as weapons should be allowed to. That's scarier than a bloke dressed as his mum.

So yeah, I think we can have LOTR

***SPOILERS FOR CHILDREN OF MEN AHEAD***

Can we vote for Children of Men? We have violent murderers who live in a country estate, plus murderers who live in dilapidated post-apocalyptic cities. There's possession too, admittedly not by Satan, but Kee's baby's hold over the Fishes could be seen as supernatural, as is its effect on society. Jules' murder surely counts a some kind of horror, as does the the removal of everything human from the Earth. Plus, the government's almost-telepathic hold over England. Then if Aliens is a horror then so is the opening terrorist attack. And there's several giant bastards, especially horrific if you suffer from anthropophobia (and it's not called phobia for nothing!) The immigrants are treated as "demons from an ancient world" by the government. And if stuff like Psycho and Silence Of The Lambs can be classed as horror (I've never seen them as such) then any film in which the protagonist is chased around a farm house by angry people with guns should be allowed to. That's scarier than a bloke dressed as his mum.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

Post #: 42
RE: Top Horror Films Poll - 9/11/2010 6:41:19 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Well argued PA, we should have that as well.

I'd say it does fall into some form of horror. The Road as well. Both are scarier than many films that are considered pure horror.

Much more better!

Post #: 43
RE: Top Horror Films Poll - 9/11/2010 8:14:02 AM   
HughesRoss

Hmm..........Interesting

Our first ever HCF MOVIE AWARDS

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

Post #: 44
RE: Top Horror Films Poll - 9/11/2010 8:15:06 AM   
HughesRoss

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Well argued PA, we should have that as well.

I'd say it does fall into some form of horror. The Road as well. Both are scarier than many films that are considered pure horror.

The Road is one the scariest films I have ever seen....only because it was so depressing from start to end that I had suicidal thoughts to end it all, to stop my suffering......

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

Post #: 45
RE: Top Horror Films Poll - 9/11/2010 10:19:30 AM   
rawlinson

Lord of the Rings is a definite no. It uses elements but it's still a fantasy, as is Harry Potter before anyone brings it up. Lots of fantasy are going to have elements of horror, because as I said earlier, horror is an off-shoot of fantasy. But both Harry Potter and LotR use those elements for certain parts rather than for the experience as a whole. Aliens is sci-fi/war, not horror, neither are Alien3 or 4. Alien is horror because it uses the conventions of a slasher, it just sets them on a spaceship. I'll also take The Terminator as a horror because it has the same approach. Terminator 2 on - pure sci-fi. Psycho is of course a horror, so is Silence of the Lambs. The Road I'll take. Children of Men I'm torn on. I would be 100% no because I don't think the approach is focused on the horror aspect, but I would class something like No Blade of Grass as a borderline title. I'll get back to you on Children of Men. I'll also start a list in the first thread for films that are definite nos.

Post #: 46
RE: Top Horror Films Poll - 9/11/2010 10:22:33 AM   
Angelus

Go on then, I'm in for this one as well.

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scraping will remove the black parts!"

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 47
RE: Top Horror Films Poll - 9/11/2010 10:25:09 AM   
rawlinson

Excellent, Ang', from other lists I seem to remember you having a taste for horror.  Glad to have you on board too, Hughes, I wonder if Dante will return to submit a list as well. 

(in reply to Angelus)
Post #: 48
RE: Top Horror Films Poll - 9/11/2010 10:32:14 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

Children of Men I'm torn on. I would be 100% no because I don't think the approach is focused on the horror aspect, but I would class something like No Blade of Grass as a borderline title. I'll get back to you on Children of Men. I'll also start a list in the first thread for films that are definite nos.

I am honestly surprised that you keep taking my facetious suggestions seriously.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 49
RE: Top Horror Films Poll - 9/11/2010 10:35:20 AM   
HughesRoss

quote:

Excellent, Ang', from other lists I seem to remember you having a taste for horror.  Glad to have you on board too, Hughes, I wonder if Dante will return to submit a list as well. 

If Dante did return, I very much doubt if any of the Friday 13th films will be on his list

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 50
RE: Top Horror Films Poll - 9/11/2010 10:51:14 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

Children of Men I'm torn on. I would be 100% no because I don't think the approach is focused on the horror aspect, but I would class something like No Blade of Grass as a borderline title. I'll get back to you on Children of Men. I'll also start a list in the first thread for films that are definite nos.

I am honestly surprised that you keep taking my facetious suggestions seriously.

Because even though you're taking the piss, you are bringing up films that others may want to vote for. So for once you're actually being of use. Children of Men is very borderline and I'm swayed towards it because of the likes of The Road and No Blade of Grass. It's a dystopian future and I don't think that's just a sci-fi thing. By the same token I'd take 1984 as a horror without question, Brazil also.

quote:

If Dante did return, I very much doubt if any of the Friday 13th films will be on his list

Post #: 51
RE: Top Horror Films Poll - 9/11/2010 10:56:56 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

Because even though you're taking the piss, you are bringing up films that others may want to vote for. So for once you're actually being of use.

Fuck off, that never happens.

quote:

By the same token I'd take 1984 as a horror without question, Brazil also.

Surely Brazil is more black comedy than horror, though? By that token, you'd call In the Loop a horror too.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 52
RE: Top Horror Films Poll - 9/11/2010 10:59:32 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

Because even though you're taking the piss, you are bringing up films that others may want to vote for. So for once you're actually being of use.

Fuck off, that never happens.

quote:

Surely Brazil is more black comedy than horror, though? By that token, you'd call In the Loop a horror too.

I think Brazil plays enough with the ideas to qualify it, even as a satire of a Orwellian future. If Shaun of the Dead is going to qualify then I think Brazil does. It's all about approach.

Post #: 53
RE: Top Horror Films Poll - 9/11/2010 11:05:50 AM   
dj vivace

Sounds interesting, best get cracking on a list.

you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

See more of my reviews here under the name Matt Wavish :
Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 54
RE: Top Horror Films Poll - 9/11/2010 11:06:09 AM   
rawlinson

Excellent.  Glad to have you on board.

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 55
RE: Top Horror Films Poll - 9/11/2010 11:10:29 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think Brazil plays enough with the ideas to qualify it, even as a satire of a Orwellian future. If Shaun of the Dead is going to qualify then I think Brazil does. It's all about approach.

That's the thing, though. I can see your point, but In The Loop is technically a real-world relocation of Brazil in many ways - ineffective bureaucracy, clusterfucks to disaster, a bleak and arguably horrific ending, the placing of a smiling face on governmental incompetence and overreaching. But would you posit In The Loop as a horror, despite it having the same approach to the material, just bringing the dystopia to a place where it isn't recognisable because we don't think of the here and now as a dystopia?

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 56
RE: Top Horror Films Poll - 9/11/2010 11:16:03 AM   
rawlinson

In the Loop doesn't really have any nod to horror though. Yes, it's bleak and yes it has a disgust of politics running through it. But as a direct satire of dystopian fiction, Brazil plays with the overt horror elements in a way that In the Loop doesn't.

I think it's finding that dividing line between films that have a horrific element and films that actually are horror, or at least play with the horror ideas as a constant theme rather than for a few moments. If we go too much in one direction we could end up classing Meet Me in St. Louis as horror simply because there's a Halloween sequence.

Post #: 57
RE: Top Horror Films Poll - 9/11/2010 11:18:42 AM   
elab49

Doesn't ruling out Aliens rule out quite a few people with guns up against monsters ones though?

The Stone Tape is already in my SciFi list, so it'd be a cert here. Mini-series is interesting. That means the original Salem's Lot, e.g.?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 58
RE: Top Horror Films Poll - 9/11/2010 11:38:26 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Doesn't ruling out Aliens rule out quite a few people with guns up against monsters ones though?

Anything special in mind? Don't worry, I'll allow Dog Soldiers.

I don't think Aliens is horror because of the approach. If someone wants to make a strong case for it then it's one I'd listen to.

quote:

Mini-series is interesting. That means the original Salem's Lot, e.g.?

Yeah, anything that was a couple of eps long with one running story. So think Salem's Lot, It, The Stand, Dead Set, the BBC Dracula, etc.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 59
RE: Top Horror Films Poll - 9/11/2010 11:49:42 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

I don't think Aliens is horror because of the approach. If someone wants to make a strong case for it then it's one I'd listen to.

It's pretty much the same argument as with Brazil, isn't it? It plays with the overt horror elements found in the original by recontextualising it in a gung-ho action film - it's kind of a mash-up of 1980s action films and the original Alien, with all the ducking around corners and the facehuggers and the dread-laden build-up as they're trapped in the one room.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top Horror Films Poll Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI