Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Irish domestic football thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> The Irish domestic football thread Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Irish domestic football thread - 5/11/2010 11:23:12 PM   
Olaf

There must be at least a handful of yous* who follow the mighty Airtricity League**, so at last (!) a thread dedicated to the domestic game here. I realise that we're nearing the end of the season but the first FAI Cup final in the Aviva is taking place on the 14th between my beloved Sligo Rovers and much-deserved 2010 champs Shamrock Rovers, so exciting times for the game here. The suspension business with Blinkhorn is a total joke though, and we shall be bulldozed with depressing inevitability. All in the game though, etc. So chat about such matters as yobbish Hoops fans, nonsensical suspensions, the abiding rubbishness of Drogheda United and Armenian teams with huge names that we always draw in the Europa League qualifiers.*** And discuss the international team too, if just so I can post photos of Paul McShane.

*though evidently not many of you on Fifa 11, judging from the string of confused messages from people I play against with Rovers.
**for our British readers/people clicking the link out of boredom - being the same Airtricity League that Manchester Utd obliterated a few months ago, yes.
***and let's have nobody calling it 'soccer'. we're not savages.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE
Post #: 1
RE: The Irish domestic football thread - 6/11/2010 11:21:35 AM   
superdan

I have decided to do with the famous Airtricity League what I did years ago with Scottish football, which is to arbitrarily pick a team to follow in order to maintain some interest and to baffle people in the pub with exclaimations of "Dammit, Queen's Park have lost again!".

Therefore, I am now a Bray Wanderer's 'fan' (for no other reason than my nan was from there), and shall be avidly looking out for their results on Soccer Saturday from now on, hoping they avoid the drop

"Til I die!" etc.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 2
RE: The Irish domestic football thread - 6/11/2010 8:00:03 PM   
Olaf

quote:

I have decided to do with the famous Airtricity League what I did years ago with Scottish football, which is to arbitrarily pick a team to follow in order to maintain some interest and to baffle people in the pub with exclaimations of "Dammit, Queen's Park have lost again!".

I can vouch for the continuing hilarity of this. Irish football has a pitiful following in Ireland so any fans are part of a tiny majority. Unless there's a huge market for it in Trinidad & Tobago or something.

Not the best of times for Bray Wanderers fans though, what with the playoff and that. Monaghan pushed us hard for the league cup final despite being a town populated by scumbags, so it's not looking good. Also one of the very few games I've seen where a keeper's gotten sent off without conceding a penalty.

EDIT on a thread-related note, anyone see that Giles tribute on the Late Late last night? Johnny singing was the most horrific/amazing thing I've ever seen.

< Message edited by Olaf -- 6/11/2010 8:04:01 PM >

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 3
RE: The Irish domestic football thread - 9/11/2010 4:48:39 PM   
Olaf

I may have been wrong on the whole "not looking good" front http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/shields-goes-from-zero-to-hero-as-bray-survive-2412507.html

From the ridiculous to the sublime, etc. Quite a game.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 4
RE: The Irish domestic football thread - 15/11/2010 10:35:21 AM   
Olaf

thoroughly deserved win for us if I do say so myself. Sadly missed a chunk of the second half due to travel but we utterly dominated play from what I did get to see. Ndo was inspirational in midfield (deserved man of the match) but Ciaran Kelly = hero. Four penalties, four saves.
Also impressive, the crowd turnout. If the Aviva can pull in a crowd like that for every final, I might eventually have some company in this thread.

Next up: the Norway friendly on Wednesday, should be interesting to see how mich Trap experiments with the squad for this one. Dunne, Killer and Ciaran Clark are all out now apparently (as well as Robbie, Folan and God McShane being already ruled out), so hopefully Seamus Coleman will be getting his first cap (whether Trap's style allows him to get forward like he does for Everton remains to be seen).

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 5
RE: The Irish domestic football thread - 15/11/2010 11:29:28 AM   
Keyser Sozzled

Hasn't Trap already said that if Coleman plays it will be at right back?..

Good man Trap, curb those attacking instincts early

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 6
RE: The Irish domestic football thread - 15/11/2010 12:29:08 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

I may have been wrong on the whole "not looking good" front http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/shields-goes-from-zero-to-hero-as-bray-survive-2412507.html

From the ridiculous to the sublime, etc. Quite a game.

Love it

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 7
RE: The Irish domestic football thread - 15/11/2010 3:37:51 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keyser Sozzled

Hasn't Trap already said that if Coleman plays it will be at right back?..

Good man Trap, curb those attacking instincts early

WTH? Doesn't Coleman play rightback at Everton? You can't win! Play him somewhere else and people will be accusing him of not playing players in their proper positions.

Besides if Coleman plays rightback then that would mean the defense would probably be: Coleman, St. Ledger, Dunne, O'Shea, which already looks a lot better than the current one.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 8
RE: The Irish domestic football thread - 15/11/2010 3:44:45 PM   
Olaf

Nah, he plays at right midfield for Everton (Phil Neville's at RB). He played at right back for Rovers and was pretty useful there, but he seems to be more comfortable going forward. Like Gareth Bale or something.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 9
RE: The Irish domestic football thread - 9/2/2011 3:37:31 PM   
Olaf

The all-important (and definitely not a series of glorified friendlies) Carling Nations Cup so. Promising enough, with a few new faces (Coleman, Clark, Walters etc) and Duffer inexplicably being the best player on the pitch. Of course, a Bale/Bellamy-less Wales is hardly a sufficient test so I'll wait until we get back to the proper business of the qualifiers. It's not looking too bad though, it must be said.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 10
RE: The Irish domestic football thread - 10/2/2011 9:35:40 PM   
Olaf

Sporting Fingal, fourth place in last season's Airtricity Premier League, have ceased operations: http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2011/0210/sportingfingal.html
Considering the financial close call Sligo Rovers had a couple of years back, I can empathise with Fingal fans who are now rather sadly without a local team. This is the kind of thing that, unfortunately, isn't going to go away any time soon until some serious investment is made in the domestic game, and I just can't see that happening in the current climate.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 11
RE: The Irish domestic football thread - 25/8/2011 9:57:46 PM   
directorscut

We're #1! The new giants of European football!!!

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 12
RE: The Irish domestic football thread - 25/8/2011 10:27:59 PM   
Olaf

Nemanja Vidic! Novak Djokovic! Gavrilo Princip! Can you hear me Gavrilo Princip! your boys took a hell of a beating.

(also, the implication that you support Shamrock Rovers is deeply distressing and troubling to me DC. Please refute this potentially unsavoury character trait.)

Post #: 13
RE: The Irish domestic football thread - 25/8/2011 10:38:49 PM   
directorscut

I was refering to Irish football in general. 

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 14
RE: The Irish domestic football thread - 26/8/2011 7:30:03 PM   
directorscut

European goal of the season? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOfNq6JY_BE

Post #: 15
RE: The Irish domestic football thread - 26/8/2011 11:34:20 PM   
Olaf

quote:

I was refering to Irish football in general.

Don't worry, I wasn't being serious. I would never accuse you of such a thing dear.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN for the LoI though? will the increased interest in the domestic game bring more money, talent and European football to the League? or will the 1m windfall lead to a Shams monopoly on the league for the next decade?? I'm happy to see the game here finally get a bit of attention, and it's a big achievement for Rovers, but a part of me worries that one of the competitiveness and openness of the league will be one of the first things to go if/when this increased financial superiority becomes a major factor.
EDIT and one minor thing that's annoying me about the hopelessly misinformed news reports on this - they're not the "first Irish team to qualify for European competition", Sligo were in the Cup Winners Cup back in 1994 (and it wasn't even a joke competition at that point, not really!).

< Message edited by Olaf -- 26/8/2011 11:43:11 PM >

Post #: 16
RE: The Irish domestic football thread - 6/9/2011 5:56:04 PM   
directorscut

That was painful. That was like Clubber Lang battering Rocky in their first match.

Richard Dunne: Hero. As great as McGrath was in USA.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 17
RE: The Irish domestic football thread - 6/9/2011 8:50:23 PM   
directorscut

God Bless Armenia!

Post #: 18
RE: The Irish domestic football thread - 7/9/2011 12:02:09 AM   
Olaf

I didn't think it was possible to get such a hammering and draw. unbelievable really, Dunne and Given were immense though. of course, I say this now before we lose it and Armenia win the group with a 6-1 pasting.

Post #: 19
RE: The Irish domestic football thread - 11/10/2011 7:38:35 PM   
directorscut

Oh, Armenia.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 20
RE: The Irish domestic football thread - 11/10/2011 8:43:00 PM   
directorscut

Phew.

We need to put out a missing persons notice as Kevin Doyle has obviously been replaced by an evil alien doppelganger.

Post #: 21
RE: The Irish domestic football thread - 12/10/2011 9:39:26 AM   
MOTH

woo-hoo! Can't wait until we bollix up the play-offs
at least with doyle and keane out we'll be able to play our two best strikers.

Edit: enjoyed Ronnie Whelan's partisan commentary last night:
Darragh: Did Cox handle it as it came down?
Ronnie: I dont care,

< Message edited by MOTH -- 12/10/2011 9:44:02 AM >

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

Post #: 22
RE: The Irish domestic football thread - 12/10/2011 4:49:19 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: MOTH

I seem to remember a different interpretation when Ireland were playing the WC Qualification game.

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 23
RE: The Irish domestic football thread - 12/10/2011 5:01:39 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

quote:

I seem to remember a different interpretation when Ireland were playing the WC Qualification game.

Well it's a bit different considering Henry blatantly handled the ball basketball style TWICE, whereas it was 50/50 as to whether it was handball by Cox or whether he was using his shoulder.

Either way, after all the bad luck we've had for the past decade surely you can begrudge us a bit of the rub of the ol' green?

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 24
RE: The Irish domestic football thread - 12/10/2011 5:29:37 PM   
Professor Moriarty

The winky smiley should show the seriousness of my intent. I didn't see the game, so can't comment on the incident. But I still find it humerous that Henry is a cheat for whom the guillotine should be brought back. And for stooping Ireland having a chance of being in a penalty shoot-out to qualify for the WC, the FAI wanted recompense from FIFA. But dodgy decision goes Ireland's way and who cares we got the win.

Anyway, good luck. I think Trappatoni deserves it, even if his tactics can make running away and hiding in a cupboard/press seem positively aggressive.

Post #: 25
RE: The Irish domestic football thread - 12/10/2011 8:39:27 PM   
MOTH

all valid points. but we seem to be missing the fact that our forward line in the play-offs could be Long Cox. Playing in the box. Innuendo five!!?? Anyone? Please?

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

Post #: 26
RE: The Irish domestic football thread - 12/10/2011 8:45:30 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

I think Trappatoni deserves it, even if his tactics can make running away and hiding in a cupboard/press seem positively aggressive.

that's the Irish for you.

Post #: 27
RE: The Irish domestic football thread - 12/10/2011 8:52:06 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

quote:

all valid points. but we seem to be missing the fact that our forward line in the play-offs could be Long Cox. Playing in the box. Innuendo five!!?? Anyone? Please?

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 28
RE: The Irish domestic football thread - 13/10/2011 9:26:10 AM   
MOTH

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keyser Sozzled

quote:

Thanks man! *saunters away happily*

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 29
RE: The Irish domestic football thread - 13/10/2011 12:19:24 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

Its Estonia !

I will take that

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> The Irish domestic football thread Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI