Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Walking Dead UK FX

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: The Walking Dead UK FX Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 8/11/2010 9:18:13 AM   
elab49

Day of the Triffids really - it's what 28 Days Later appropriated and I'd assume this. I wish they'd been a bit more imaginative on how they chose to miss the event rather than another repeat as well.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 61
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 8/11/2010 9:33:04 AM   
Sledge Hammer

quote:

ORIGINAL: borstal

quote:

ORIGINAL: discodave101

The whole 'wake up in hospital' thing I've seen too many times..

Im presuming 28 Days Later is the major one here? There was little time between the film and Kirkmans book making their debut so one may have influenced the other or they both took an easy route to a plot device.

I always like the Dawn remakes opening with the speed everyhting went tits up.

the dawn remake has one of the most tense opening scenes I have ever seen in the cinema.

And as for the tank thing - I thought he didnt notice the hatch until he put his head back to shoot himself. Thats when he noticed it and got in. A bit quick but added to the frenzy in my opinion.

new sports forum - http://www.606v2.com

Check it out!

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 62
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 8/11/2010 9:56:52 AM   
MuckyMuckMan

Absolutely loved it, yeah the hatch in the tank was badly edited but overall a promising start to the series. Absolutely loved it when he turned the corner on the horse to find tons of zombies. Also looking forward to the love triangle when he finds his wife is now with his best mate.

My Film Collection:
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/MuckyMuckMan
Last 5 films seen
The Impossible 3.5/5
Stoker 4/5
Thor: Dark World 3.5/5
The Wolfman (1941) 4/5
All is Lost 5/5

(in reply to Sledge Hammer)
Post #: 63
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 8/11/2010 10:04:09 AM   
talpacino

I quite liked the bit under the tank, very tense, thinking how the hell is he going to get out of this one?! He was crawling on all fours and didn't notice the hatch obviously until he turned over to shoot himself. It was done very quickly but I think it was meant to be kind of funny how easy it was when he was just about to give up.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to MuckyMuckMan)
Post #: 64
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 8/11/2010 10:24:39 AM   
elab49

I agree with that but I think the edit was maybe just a bit fast and seemed to miss a connecting bit?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 65
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 8/11/2010 11:08:53 AM   
discodave101

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Day of the Triffids really - it's what 28 Days Later appropriated and I'd assume this. I wish they'd been a bit more imaginative on how they chose to miss the event rather than another repeat as well.

Yeah, exactly. There's been numerous remakes etc too that all used the same opening if I remember.

When I was a 10 year old, and I first watched the excellent triffids film from waaaaaay back (was it the 50's?), I remember absolutely loving the opening set piece in the hospital. 28 Days Later ripping it off, I could cope with as it was a big gap between them and it was nice to see a modern take on it, and the deserted London. For it to do it again here just made it all feel very 'samey' and not fresh or exciting.

This is a small gripe overall though, as I'm aware the pilot was just an introduction to the characters, and its going to be a character piece.

< Message edited by discodave101 -- 8/11/2010 11:40:44 AM >

"Softly softly, catchy monkey"

"I didn't know you spoke spanish"

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 66
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 8/11/2010 11:42:28 AM   
CORLEONE

One day we will all get over the edit under the tank.

It was ace. I felt sorry for a zombie for the first time too. When he goes back to find the one with no legs. She looked in so much pain and torment. Had to put her out of her misery. Good lad.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to discodave101)
Post #: 67
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 8/11/2010 11:46:47 AM   
Felix

I didnt think it was a bad edit, I just thought he only saw the hatch when he looked up after putting the gun to his head. He's hardly going to say "Oh look, a hole. I can go through that and escape these darn pesky zombies"...

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 68
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 8/11/2010 12:03:35 PM   
elab49

It doesn't particularly bother me overly (not as much as the timing of the event itself eg which niggled - flowers fading, but IV line still in? And in that short time the world went to hell, people travelled to Atlanta and 'new' relationships started - but the clumsiness of that didn't impact on my enjoyment, mainly because the hospital scenes were so well-filmed so it wasn't till after you thought about it) but I thought it was a bit clunkier than that - but only because I was looking at it more closely when I watched the FX showing. gun moving up then in the tank - there just seemed a moment missing in between, for me.

quote:

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 69
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 8/11/2010 12:08:27 PM   
CORLEONE

Do we know how long he was actually in the hospital? The world went to shit very quickly.

Agreed on the edit Felix. Didn't even notice it until people on here were moaning about it

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 70
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 8/11/2010 1:29:29 PM   
Chief

I watched this on Friday. I was very drunk but I think I liked it. I'll need to watch it again as some of the details are a bit sketchy.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 71
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 8/11/2010 1:40:11 PM   
MOTH

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

Do we know how long he was actually in the hospital? The world went to shit very quickly.

Yeah, it would have been nice if at some point Egg actually asked when all this had happened, and questioned why a gunshot to the chest had left him comatose, and seemingly unaware of the zombie apocalypse around him.
(And who knows, maybe he did, but i need to see him ask, dammit - do the makers think i'm going to think for myself or something!!!?)

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 72
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 8/11/2010 2:08:46 PM   
Sledge Hammer

quote:

It doesn't particularly bother me overly (not as much as the timing of the event itself eg which niggled - flowers fading, but IV line still in? And in that short time the world went to hell, people travelled to Atlanta and 'new' relationships started - but the clumsiness of that didn't impact on my enjoyment, mainly because the hospital scenes were so well-filmed so it wasn't till after you thought about it) but I thought it was a bit clunkier than that - but only because I was looking at it more closely when I watched the FX showing. gun moving up then in the tank - there just seemed a moment missing in between, for me.

He could have been in hospital for months before the final few days things went tits up.

as for the relationship, it is quite conceivable that if he had been in hospital for months, that his partner and wife became close at the hospital. In other words, they havent started a relationship since the zombie outbreak but well before.

I am sure this will all come out eventually.

One final thing, was the word 'zombie' ever used?

new sports forum - http://www.606v2.com

Check it out!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 73
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 8/11/2010 2:14:05 PM   
borstal

I get what people are saying regarding the escape under the tank. It looked a little odd but Im sure there was no editing involved just Rick thinking he had to kill himself and then looking up above him and getting the fuck outta there.

The zombie inside was a nice bit too. You see it as he crawls inside and think 'oooh the zombies going to go for him'. It doesnt move so you think its dead then as he grabs the gun

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to Sledge Hammer)
Post #: 74
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 8/11/2010 3:57:15 PM   
indysgill

Its all very well for Rick to get in the tank, but what about the poor old horse.

It was having a great time in that field, then it gets bought to the city and well................

It's not the years honey, Its the mileage.

Are you kidding? You get to go home and say "I punched Indiana Jones today". - Gary Oldman.

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 75
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 8/11/2010 4:40:18 PM   
elab49

I don't think they used the word - it tends to seem odd that characters in these things often don't use words that are in common cultural currency. I thought the horse was interesting though  - don't animals normally get ignored in zombieworlds?

Timing - I think the flowers and presumably Shane's visit put a question mark on it being particularly long - if the world's going to pot do you turn up with flowers for a visit?

quote:

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 76
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 9/11/2010 3:25:23 PM   
Twisted Kitty

I watched this last night and really enjoyed it.  Was a bit unsure of the make up in some scenes, sometimes it was great, other times times not so.  I loved the use of the horse in the city scene.

A couple of things I noticed in the hospital scene.  Firstly he'd grown a beard (and a very neat one at that) but had a clean shaved neck and secondly if he'd been unconscious/asleep for that length of time I wondered where his catheter was.  Still........

As a lover of all things zombie-like, I really enjoyed it.  Definately something that I'll keep watching.

"I have a terrible headache, and a sudden craving for chicken wings"

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 77
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 9/11/2010 3:35:34 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

Timing - I think the flowers and presumably Shane's visit put a question mark on it being particularly long - if the world's going to pot do you turn up with flowers for a visit?

I may be wrong, but I seem to recall one character mentioning month or months since the outbreak began?

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 78
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 9/11/2010 4:46:03 PM   
demoncleaner

I finally got to see a repeat last night.  Donít really know what to make of it to be honest.  If I had the dvd Iím sure Iíd happily watch away at it but at the mo Iím unsure if Iíll be hooked enough to keep coming back week after week.  The ending was terrific but before that there wasnít really much to justify (so far) such an ambitious production.   

The biggest loss was the aftermath setting.  The domino effect of world collapse is still the best thing about the Zombie genre and although peeps who have read the comic might be able to advise if they revisit the Event later on I still think this misses its biggest trick.  The Walking Dead premiere didnít seem to have a palpable atmosphere of its own.  The Dawn of the Dead remake made it feel like your safety could only be guaranteed within the empty two cubic metres you could see around you.  You could do a hilltop Julie Andrews here and get off scott free.  Iím also really circumspect about the Pearl Harbour sub-plot with his wife and best friend. 

It wasnít well written in the way weíre used to seeing just about every other big American production be well written.  You might rightly ask yourself what is left to talk about when the world has ended but the rendering of Grimes and police colleagues was an effortless vacuum before disaster hit. "Maybe we'll get on one of those TV shows". 

The only thing of originality I thought this bore were the moments of pity elicited for the mobile dead Ė the wife and mother being a less subtle example of this but worked well interspersed with Grimeís mercy killing of the torso on the hill (the showís best moment I thought).  I hope thereís more suction in the next episode to keep me watching more, but at the minute Iím a tad frosty.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 79
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 9/11/2010 4:57:53 PM   
AngryDude92

In regards to this whole how long issue i'd like to point out that in Night of the living dead it only took about a day for the shit to hit the fan.
Dawn as far as I can tell is just the day after night and it's all gone to hell by then.

And in Zombi 2 or Zombie flesh eaters (depending on how you feel) It definatly only took a week for the Zombie invasion to really hit new york.
just pointing out that the template for zombies says that it dosn't take long for shit to fly.

As for the relationship thing, for all we know they could have been having an affair on the side, or it may be a heat of the moment thing.I know I'd try

There was once a god who walked the earth, his name was Warren Oates

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 80
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 10/11/2010 12:12:02 AM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: MOTH

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

Yeah, it would have been nice if at some point Egg actually asked when all this had happened, and questioned why a gunshot to the chest had left him comatose, and seemingly unaware of the zombie apocalypse around him.
(And who knows, maybe he did, but i need to see him ask, dammit - do the makers think i'm going to think for myself or something!!!?)

Some people never escape their most famous roles. He'll always be Egg to me, too.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 81
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 10/11/2010 3:40:39 PM   
Jeffrey

I'm not sure how SFW this is:

Wong Kar-wai News:

http://wongkarwainews.wordpress.com/

Wrestling gifs tumblr:

http://ilovewrestlinggifs.tumblr.com/

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 82
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 10/11/2010 5:31:08 PM   
chilipenguin

Regarding the length of time he's been in the coma (I'll inviso for any spoiler haters, although it's hardly a spoiler):

In volume 2 of the comic, Lori and Shane are discussing leaving Rick behind. One of them mentions it being three weeks since he was shot. This is before they hook up with the other survivors. I think they are with this group for a while before Rick shows up, so I would put the final length of time he's in the coma somewhere between 5 and 6 weeks...

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

New short story/portfolio blog online HERE

(in reply to Jeffrey)
Post #: 83
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 10/11/2010 7:45:57 PM   
darko18

First episode made me cry. Quite a feat, I'd say.

(in reply to chilipenguin)
Post #: 84
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 11/11/2010 12:01:21 AM   
kumar

I enjoyed it quite a bit. A suitably non-related and quite gruesome opening to let me know this is going to be quite serious show. Wasnt too fussed really with his partner and I had a slight idea about his wife and friend thing. Really liked the horse in the city bit, especially after he turns the corner to face zombie hordes (i wonder what they were all doing?) and then he tries to get away full sprint on the horse.

Looking forward to the next episode, though can someone tell me when it is on tv, i missed the showing and I got it from someplace else.....

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to darko18)
Post #: 85
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 11/11/2010 8:50:38 AM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: kumar

(i wonder what they were all doing?)

Practising Thriller?

It's on the FX channel (or FXHD) on Friday at 10pm.

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 86
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 12/11/2010 9:22:04 AM   
pocketrocket

quote:

ORIGINAL: AngryDude92

As for the relationship thing, for all we know they could have been having an affair on the side, or it may be a heat of the moment thing.I know I'd try

The scenes prior to the gunfight where Rick is shot doesn't he discuss with his mate that he is having marital issues, maybe an affair was already underway? I've not read the books/comics and I've no previous experience of this story so apologies if my comment may seem daft.

I loved the pilot and the slow burn start and tees it up nicely for the next ep.

"A life Jmmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for the moments that never come." Lester Freamon

(in reply to AngryDude92)
Post #: 87
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 13/11/2010 4:57:52 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

Episode two was also very good. Raccheted up the tension nicely, not sure about the central set piece, covering themselves in Zombie grue but leaving that Redneck on the roof was fantastic. Andrew Lincoln is really impressing me, its easy for that thype of character to be a total Archetype or Basil Exposition but so far he has made the character human.

I thought the sex scene was a little oddly out of place. Espeically when Shane, er, well, flipped her over...was he trying to make a fucking porno?

Loving it so far

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to pocketrocket)
Post #: 88
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 14/11/2010 11:56:07 PM   
kumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keyser Sozzled

Episode two was also very good. Raccheted up the tension nicely, not sure about the central set piece, covering themselves in Zombie grue but leaving that Redneck on the roof was fantastic. Andrew Lincoln is really impressing me, its easy for that thype of character to be a total Archetype or Basil Exposition but so far he has made the character human.

I thought the sex scene was a little oddly out of place. Espeically when Shane, er, well, flipped her over...was he trying to make a fucking porno?

Loving it so far

Didnt like that bit at all really, it screamed of Shaun of the Dead and the fact it was so drawn out made it worse. And the fact that it worked!!

Didnt really mind the second bit though...

< Message edited by kumar -- 14/11/2010 11:57:29 PM >

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 89
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 16/11/2010 8:43:09 AM   
borstal

I had a problem with episode 2. Instead of getting into it I kept thinking 'thats not in the comics'! Still enjoyed it though and nice to see Henry outjaw Bruce Cambell

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: The Walking Dead UK FX Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI