Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Walking Dead UK FX

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: The Walking Dead UK FX Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 5/11/2010 9:57:41 AM   
borstal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vertigo...Woo.Yay.

quote:

ORIGINAL: borstal
Cheers Vert. Can you also press some buttons and send me a free FX HD signal and express delivery popcorn?

PS Can't see your Hypno-toad av. Please tell me you still have it?!

<click>

Command not recognised.

<click>

Command not recognised

<CLICK>

Command not recognised

<clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick>

Confirmed. You have provided username BORSTAL with access to:

Cbeebies HD
Express delivery Pickled Beetroot

Sorry Borstal, that button isn't working properly. I'll call tech support and see if they can do anything.

(Hypnotoad still working on my screen.)

Damn. You can't get Fosters Home for Imaginary friends on CBeebies can you? That would look sweet in HD

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to Vertigo...Woo.Yay.)
Post #: 31
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 5/11/2010 10:22:01 AM   
Felix

I have V+HD but no HD television, so I get a patronising message each time I select an HD channel, along the lines of 'Fuck off you poor twat, this wont look any different on your pathetic old TV'.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 32
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 5/11/2010 10:50:19 AM   
Vertigo...Woo.Yay.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felix

I have V+HD but no HD television, so I get a patronising message each time I select an HD channel, along the lines of 'Fuck off you poor twat, this wont look any different on your pathetic old TV'.

Is it rude to ask why you got an HD subscription package without an HD TV?

(Of course, you could dash out to Richer Sounds or similar and buy a new HD TV right now!)

"Things are going to get pretty interesting..."
"Define 'interesting'"
"Oh God, Oh God, we're all gonna die?"

If only we could harness Otis Ferry for good...
All hail Hypnotoad

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 33
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 5/11/2010 2:24:10 PM   
borstal

< Message edited by borstal -- 5/11/2010 2:28:36 PM >

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

Post #: 34
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 5/11/2010 2:36:21 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

quote:

(Of course, you could dash out to Richer Sounds or similar and buy a new HD TV right now!)

When you get a Virgin V+ box the only box you get is an HD one. Unlike Sky where you have to specify whether you want HD or not (and pay extra for I think).

I had a V+ HD box for years with no HD telly (up until Jan when I got my 42" of plasmaloveliness ). No blurry zombies for me tonight!!!! Wooo

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

Post #: 35
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 5/11/2010 2:39:00 PM   
borstal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

quote:

quote:

When you get a Virgin V+ box the only box you get is an HD one. Unlike Sky where you have to specify whether you want HD or not (and pay extra for I think).

I had a V+ HD box for years with no HD telly (up until Jan when I got my 42" of plasmaloveliness ). No blurry zombies for me tonight!!!! Wooo

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 36
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 5/11/2010 2:44:35 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Is that a current sweetner then?

Just looked on the site and it states when you sign up you can either get a Sky+ or Sky+ HD box depending on what you ask for. Only reason I looked was recently my brother upgraded his Sky+ box to a Sky+ HD box and he had to pay extra for the HD box

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 37
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 5/11/2010 2:49:07 PM   
borstal

I signed up a few months ago and got a HD box FOC. Probably a noob-lure.

Post #: 38
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 5/11/2010 2:53:00 PM   
elab49

They aren't making the Sky + box anymore are giving them out it seems. Our hard drive went earlier this year one the Sky + box and it was replaced by an HD as it is all they are giving out. We don't, and didn't want, an HD subscription so we have the box without it.

It's a major pain though as we've lost a hell of a lot of functionality - our Sky Anyime goes to HD channels for preference so we've completely lost that service. The only way to get Sky + boxes is apparently to get them second hand/refurbished according to the engineer who replaced ours for Sky.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 39
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 5/11/2010 3:20:57 PM   
Felix

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

quote:

quote:

This ^

They dont do a non HD V+ box.

[This space for rent] -

Post #: 40
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 5/11/2010 3:32:30 PM   
borstal

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 41
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 5/11/2010 9:10:35 PM   
bub

Less than an hour to go ohhh can't wait

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 42
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 5/11/2010 9:15:20 PM   
the anomaly

WHOOP!

A mate lent me the graphic novels ... but didn't have the first one at the time so I didn't read them in the end. So I'll be watching tonight.

(in reply to bub)
Post #: 43
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 5/11/2010 11:10:34 PM   
borstal

Did anyone else get a jittery picture towards the end?

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 44
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 5/11/2010 11:11:43 PM   
talpacino

Yeah pretty freaking great! Good to see Egg in a big role, thought he was very good.

Highlight for me was the bit under the tank, so good! The crawley witch in the park as well was horrific.

Very happy with this.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

Post #: 45
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 5/11/2010 11:12:32 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Holy crap that was awesome!

@Borstal, don't recall it being jittery

I felt really tense watching it, and thought the effects were excellent!  Can't wait til next week now

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 46
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 5/11/2010 11:19:58 PM   
bub

Really enjoyed it my only gripe was the CGI blood looked very fake in places.

Post #: 47
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 5/11/2010 11:28:30 PM   
chilipenguin

Well, that was FUCKING AWESOME! I had my doubts about the actor playing Rick, but he nailed it. I think the added backstory for the black father and son was a nice touch as well.

Standout moment had to be the zombie mother climbing up the porch steps as Rick stares through the peep hole. Satisfyingly creepy.

My only complaint is that I didn't take to the actor playing Shane, but I'm more than willing to see how he develops.

Roll on episode 2!

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

New short story/portfolio blog online HERE

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 48
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 6/11/2010 12:11:40 AM   
CORLEONE

Superb start. Emotionally involved with the characters already. Classic Darabont. This is gonna be awesome.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to chilipenguin)
Post #: 49
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 6/11/2010 8:59:09 AM   
borstal

I enjoyed it. The zombies were really really good. I thought it was quite subtle with only the end of the episode getting quite action-y Ive been reading the comics since 2004(2005?) so come to this with a lot of foreknowledge (and some questions!). Ive not read the first book for a few years so some of the scripting was fresh. The scariest part was Rick walking down the stairs of the hospital with his matches going out. I was convinced a zombie face would be withing biting distance each time he lit a new match.

Its carried across the feel of the books incredibly well and Andrew Licoln did a great job as Rick and the accent. I was going to run through the books again before this but so glad I didnt. I remember the major plotlines but forgotten the details so watching this still keeps me tense.

Are we up to date with the yanks and impatient Empire posters for a couple of days?

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 50
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 6/11/2010 10:19:52 AM   
ChickMagnet

quote:

ORIGINAL: borstal

I enjoyed it. The zombies were really really good. I thought it was quite subtle with only the end of the episode getting quite action-y Ive been reading the comics since 2004(2005?) so come to this with a lot of foreknowledge (and some questions!). Ive not read the first book for a few years so some of the scripting was fresh. The scariest part was Rick walking down the stairs of the hospital with his matches going out. I was convinced a zombie face would be withing biting distance each time he lit a new match.

Its carried across the feel of the books incredibly well and Andrew Licoln did a great job as Rick and the accent. I was going to run through the books again before this but so glad I didnt. I remember the major plotlines but forgotten the details so watching this still keeps me tense.

Are we up to date with the yanks and impatient Empire posters for a couple of days?

Until Monday you are yeah

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 51
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 6/11/2010 1:19:27 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

Thought it was brilliant. Just brilliant.

The only critisism was under the tank, there seemed to be a weird edit. Rick puts his the gun to his head and then a half sec later he is un the hatch and in the tank, kinda removed some of the tension...

But this is shaping up as one of my faves, I am on a bit of a Zombie kick at the mo, I am also reading World War Z by Max Brooks which is fricking awesome.

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to ChickMagnet)
Post #: 52
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 6/11/2010 1:32:28 PM   
MartinBlank76

Loved it. Great opening episode. I am up to volume 6 or 7 in the comics and I really like them. If this keeps going the way its started it could turn out to be even better.

Loved the scene were it went between Rick and the legless zombie and the lennie james character trying to bring himself to kill his zombie wife. Awesome.

I would put it up there with Lost and the west wing in terms of great pilots were you are absorbed in it instantly.

Great opening scene with the little girl zombie were it threw the gauntlet down right away and showed it wasnt going to pull any punches which is essential for pulling off a worthwhile adaption of the comic.

I'm just a fella. I think beer should be cold and boots should be dusty. I think 911 was bad. And freedom? Well, I think thats just a little bit better.

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 53
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 6/11/2010 1:41:39 PM   
losthighway

I read Book 1 over the summer and LOVED it but have to say I found the opening episode rather underwhelming. It went at a snail's pace, appeared to have added scenes and just didn't grab me in the way I hoped it would. Perhaps my expectations were too high!? Having said that the scene with him returning to shoot the corpse in the park was stunning and imho sums up the main theme of TWD very nicely. I'll be tuning in next week but intrigued to see where this is going because the synopsis for episode 2 sounds quite different to the novel, so also wonder where this first series will finish...?

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to MartinBlank76)
Post #: 54
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 6/11/2010 6:43:37 PM   
MartinBlank76

quote:

ORIGINAL: losthighway

It went at a snail's pace, appeared to have added scenes and just didn't grab me in the way I hoped it would.

I actually liked its pacing last night. And the added scenes worked pretty well, his encounter with the man and the kid being a lot more affecting than it was in the book. And when he was crawling under the tank I was pulling my feet up as if to get away from imaginary zombies!

< Message edited by MartinBlank76 -- 6/11/2010 6:44:50 PM >

I'm just a fella. I think beer should be cold and boots should be dusty. I think 911 was bad. And freedom? Well, I think thats just a little bit better.

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 55
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 6/11/2010 7:33:41 PM   
MOTH

I thought it was okay - it's hard to do anything new with the zombie apocalypse set-up so I didn't mind it wasn't that original, and there were enough 'human' moments to keep me watching for another episode or two at least.
Egg did seem to take the whole thing in his stride rather quickly though - didn't seem freaked out at all by it And that bit under the tank - well let's hope there aren't too many 'convenient' escapes like that.

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to MartinBlank76)
Post #: 56
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 6/11/2010 8:01:01 PM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keyser Sozzled

The only critisism was under the tank, there seemed to be a weird edit. Rick puts his the gun to his head and then a half sec later he is un the hatch and in the tank, kinda removed some of the tension...

Glad I wasn't the only one who noticed that, I thought it was a bit weird and maybe my recording had jumped or something.

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 57
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 7/11/2010 11:43:38 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: doubtlesswonder

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keyser Sozzled

Glad I wasn't the only one who noticed that, I thought it was a bit weird and maybe my recording had jumped or something.

That was quick ... but I just kind of accepted that he was in a bit of a rush and then spotted the entrance so made a dash.

quote:

ORIGINAL: MOTH

I thought it was okay - it's hard to do anything new with the zombie apocalypse set-up so I didn't mind it wasn't that original, and there were enough 'human' moments to keep me watching for another episode or two at least.
Egg did seem to take the whole thing in his stride rather quickly though - didn't seem freaked out at all by it And that bit under the tank - well let's hope there aren't too many 'convenient' escapes like that.

All in his stride? Pah ... rookie ... if you've read the Zombie Survival guide you'll note he made so many rookie mistakes. Lucky to be alive. I had to laugh when he took that wrong turn the city ... jeebus.

< Message edited by the anomaly -- 7/11/2010 11:45:48 PM >

(in reply to doubtlesswonder)
Post #: 58
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 8/11/2010 8:25:12 AM   
discodave101

I liked it, but didn't love it, although I'm sure I will once the characters grow on me and a lot of plot strands are allowed to develop.  My only real criticism was that we've so far seen nothing new in terms of a zombie film - it basically covered all the cliched zombie basics to introduce the characters. The whole 'wake up in hospital' thing I've seen too many times.As this is a TV serial and not a film, it has a lot of story to explore though, so I can't wait. All my mates rave about the graphic novels its based on.

It was certainly refreshing seeing a slow paced and polished pilot of this quality though.

"Softly softly, catchy monkey"

"I didn't know you spoke spanish"

Post #: 59
RE: The Walking Dead UK FX - 8/11/2010 8:32:05 AM   
borstal

quote:

ORIGINAL: discodave101

The whole 'wake up in hospital' thing I've seen too many times..

Im presuming 28 Days Later is the major one here? There was little time between the film and Kirkmans book making their debut so one may have influenced the other or they both took an easy route to a plot device.

I always like the Dawn remakes opening with the speed everyhting went tits up.

(in reply to discodave101)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: The Walking Dead UK FX Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI