Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Golden oldies CLASSIC SCI-FI Thread(The good and bad)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> RE: The Golden oldies CLASSIC SCI-FI Thread(The good and bad) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Golden oldies CLASSIC SCI-FI Thread(The good a... - 22/3/2006 1:22:59 PM   
zenon

The Thing (actually The Thing From Another World) is available region 1 DVD. I got a copy a few weeks back. The American oldies on DVD seem always to use the original widescreen format (not letterbox of course), unlike UK region 2, which always seem to be truncated. James Arness is the 'Thing', he was best known as Lawman Matt Dyllon in the GunSmoke TV series. TFAW is not exactly a speaking role though! I prefer this to the OTT (though scary & atmospheric) remake.

Anyone know Dark Star? Its not brilliant, but it is a cult classic. It Inspired Rob Grant & Doug Naylor when creating Red Dwarf. You can see lots of Red Dwarf ideas are based upon this old film. I think it similar in tone to Silent Running.

heads up

(in reply to BooRadley)
Post #: 31
RE: The Golden oldies CLASSIC SCI-FI Thread(The good a... - 22/3/2006 4:35:48 PM   
Anne Hedley

quote:

ORIGINAL: zenon

The Thing (actually The Thing From Another World) is available region 1 DVD. I got a copy a few weeks back. The American oldies on DVD seem always to use the original widescreen format (not letterbox of course), unlike UK region 2, which always seem to be truncated. James Arness is the 'Thing', he was best known as Lawman Matt Dyllon in the GunSmoke TV series. TFAW is not exactly a
speaking role though! I prefer this to the OTT (though scary & atmospheric)remake. Anyone know Dark Star? Its not brilliant, but it is a cult classic. It Inspired Rob Grant & Doug Naylor when creating Red Dwarf. You can see lots of Red Dwarf ideas are based upon this old film. I think it similar in tone to Silent Running.

Well  Zenon I remember [many years ago  he  he  he - I mean many] I did see a film in black and white called The Thing about a creature that had been frozen in ice - but it was not too scary.   In those days horror films and things unknown seemed great but they have certainly moved on today, although in yester year as new types of movie they did seem a bit on the scary.  But I do  like to make sure there is a story aboard.  I have not heard about Dark Star who is in it.  As ideas from Red Dwarf crept in what it tongue in cheek - or things that go bump un the night.

I must admit it took me a while but I much prefer the wide screen  -  but if I wanted a film and it was not available in wide screen I would only be too pleased to get hold of it  -  bet you would too

(in reply to zenon)
Post #: 32
RE: The Golden oldies CLASSIC SCI-FI Thread(The good a... - 18/4/2006 1:19:59 PM   
Professor Moriarty

A few classic sci-fi not mentioned yet:
"The Andromeda Strain" (1971)
"Barbarella" (1968)
"The Bride of Frankenstein" (1935)
"The Day the Earth Caught Fire" (1961)
"The Fly" (1958)
"House of Frankenstein" (1945)
"The Incredible Shrinking Man" (1957)
"Invasion of the Body Snatchers" (1956)
"The Invisible Man" (1933)
"Journey to the Center of the Earth" (1959)
"The Lost World" (1960)
"The Manchurian Candidate" (1962)
"Them!" (1954)
"Westworld" (1973)
"X: The Man With X-Ray Eyes" (1963)
"Young Frankenstein" (1974)

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 18/4/2006 1:52:35 PM >

(in reply to Anne Hedley)
Post #: 33
RE: The Golden oldies CLASSIC SCI-FI Thread(The good a... - 18/4/2006 2:05:22 PM   
Anne Hedley

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

A few classic sci-fi not mentioned yet:
"The Andromeda Strain" (1971)
"Barbarella" (1968)
"The Bride of Frankenstein" (1935)
"The Day the Earth Caught Fire" (1961)
"The Fly" (1958)
"House of Frankenstein" (1945)
"The Incredible Shrinking Man" (1957)
"Invasion of the Body Snatchers" (1956)
"The Invisible Man" (1933)
"Journey to the Center of the Earth" (1959)
"The Lost World" (1960)
"The Manchurian Candidate" (1962)
"Them!" (1954)
"Westworld" (1973)
"X: The Man With X-Ray Eyes" (1963)
"Young Frankenstein" (1974)

Well I am amazed at how many of the films I have seen in your list  - some which I had completely forgotten about until I saw the list - but actually remembered them.

I believe there is a reshowing of West World on our TV during this week.  The only films I have not seen are :  Andromida Strain, and the Manchurian Candidate.

The films I remember most was  The Incredible Shrinking Man -[phew when  he so tiny and had to fight the spider  -  now that got to me because spiders are not my best mates although I have combatted my fear of them to date, and The Body Snatchers which left you with that feeling there was not way out.  On reflection The Shrinking Man  - well  what would have ahppened to him.................................

I did not like The Man with X-Ray Eyes - just could not get with it.  But all these films in their day were very good it is only if you compare them with what we can do today with CGI and gadgets that we perhaps put them down a bit  - and that is a shame.  I also liked The Wickerman [the original] the end was something else.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 34
RE: The Golden oldies CLASSIC SCI-FI Thread(The good a... - 18/4/2006 2:28:10 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anne Hedley
The only films I have not seen are :  Andromida Strain, and the Manchurian Candidate.

Andromeda Strain is a Michael Crichton work (he of Jurassic Park and actually another on this list, Westworld.  If you like a movie that slowly rachets up the tension this one should work for you.  The Manchurian Candidate was recently re-made, but I haven't seen that version, this one has Frank Sinatra in and is well worth watching just to see Angela "Murder She Wrote" Lansbury in a different light. 

Pleased you enjoyed and remember so fondly "The Incredible Shrinking Man" its one of my favourites and its a very human film, being quite sad as he literally grows away from his wife.

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 18/4/2006 2:29:40 PM >

(in reply to Anne Hedley)
Post #: 35
RE: The Golden oldies CLASSIC SCI-FI Thread(The good a... - 18/4/2006 2:46:13 PM   
Anne Hedley

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anne Hedley
The only films I have not seen are :  Andromida Strain, and the Manchurian Candidate.

Andromeda Strain is a Michael Crichton work (he of Jurassic Park and actually another on this list, Westworld.  If you like a movie that slowly rachets up the tension this one should work for you.  The Manchurian Candidate was recently re-made, but I haven't seen that version, this one has Frank Sinatra in and is well worth watching just to see Angela "Murder She Wrote" Lansbury in a different light. 

Pleased you enjoyed and remember so fondly "The Incredible Shrinking Man" its one of my favourites and its a very human film, being quite sad as he literally grows away from his wife.

Well I guess I will give Andromida a miss then if it is of the Jurassic Park form.  I think Sam Neill is a talented actor but he could not keep me awake.  Dont know what it was but It would not hold my attention enough to keep me awake.  The Manchurian Candidate  - I am also an Angela Landsbury fan and love to watch 'Murder She Wrote' when I get the chance  -  but the other appettiser is of course Frank Sinatre  - he made so many films in such a wide range and he could sing too.  Dare I say it  - no  - I dare not..............

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 36
RE: The Golden oldies CLASSIC SCI-FI Thread(The good a... - 18/4/2006 5:54:09 PM   
ScottiE

3 of my favs are

1 The Blob

2  Them!

3 the incredible shrinking man

< Message edited by ScottiE -- 18/4/2006 6:09:11 PM >

" Your 10 seconds away from the most embarrasing moment of your life "

"When you need to shoot , shoot, dont talk "

(in reply to DanielFullard)
Post #: 37
RE: The Golden oldies CLASSIC SCI-FI Thread(The good a... - 18/4/2006 10:40:07 PM   
Anne Hedley

quote:

ORIGINAL: ScottiE

3 of my favs are

1 The Blob

2  Them!

3 the incredible shrinking man

Well ScottiE I am beginning to wonder about me I seem to be adding to the golden oldies of SCFI.

I have seen them all -  oops  - but I remember The Blob and it just shows you what came over the screen for Steven [which he was called in this film] Mc Queen for someone to want to give him the better parts  - no wonder he changed his name and that did sound cool and he became Mr Cool of his time and a Mega star.   It was so very very sad that an illness he could not foresee would take a great star from us.

(in reply to ScottiE)
Post #: 38
Ah, sci-fi shlockers and creaky creature features. - 26/10/2009 2:22:32 AM   
JohnChard

One of my pet subjects

Tho there were obviously some great early genre pieces prior to the 50s, think Invisible Man et al, the 50s with all the nuclear paranoia and fear of the desert, is where it really came into its own as a fully fledged genre.

A top twenty of mine from the 50s

The Day the Earth Stood Still
The Thing from Another World
The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms
It Came from Outer Space
The War of the Worlds
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Creature from the Black Lagoon
Gojira
Them!
It Came from Beneath the Sea
This Island Earth
Tarantula
Earth vs. the Flying Saucers
Forbidden Planet
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
The Incredible Shrinking Man
20 Million Miles to Earth
The Fly
It! The Terror from Beyond Space
Journey to the Center of the Earth

Into the 60s

Ten I adore

Mysterious Island
Panic in Year Zero!
X: The Man with the X-Ray Eyes
The Last Man on Earth
Mothra vs. Godzilla
Fahrenheit 451
Fantastic Voyage
Quatermass and the Pit
Planet of the Apes
The Valley of Gwangi

"Out you get Hooky, you`ve done your bit"

(in reply to DanielFullard)
Post #: 39
RE: Ah, sci-fi shlockers and creaky creature features. - 14/2/2013 11:48:21 AM   
Timon

Invaders from Mars was the one that terrified me as a kid, but I was thinking of getting this.

Only problem is it comes with Creature From The Black Lagoon which was included in the Universal Monsters boxset I got last year.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to JohnChard)
Post #: 40
RE: Ah, sci-fi shlockers and creaky creature features. - 14/2/2013 12:10:36 PM   
matty_b

I've got that and it's a pretty good set anyway, Timon.

If nothing else, worth it just for Invasion of the Bodysnatchers.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 41
RE: Ah, sci-fi shlockers and creaky creature features. - 14/2/2013 12:40:40 PM   
Timon

Nice. Well, I might wonder down to my local Fopp and see if they have it.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 42
RE: Ah, sci-fi shlockers and creaky creature features. - 13/3/2013 12:55:53 PM   
Timon

FYI it's out of stock now, but MovieMail.com managed to secure the last 25 copies - one of which I've ordered.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 43
RE: Ah, sci-fi shlockers and creaky creature features. - 14/3/2013 9:54:10 PM   
fairyprincess

Any one with a 3d blu Ray player, needs creature from the black lagoon. Some of my favourite 3d. Wishing for it came from outer space 3d

Matter of life& death, spirited away, Little mermaid, carry on camping, Amelie, Ed wood, Hairspray(2007), Casablanca, an affair to remember, phantom of the opera (2005)

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 44
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> RE: The Golden oldies CLASSIC SCI-FI Thread(The good and bad) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI