Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Golden oldies CLASSIC SCI-FI Thread(The good and bad)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> The Golden oldies CLASSIC SCI-FI Thread(The good and bad) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Golden oldies CLASSIC SCI-FI Thread(The good and bad) - 15/2/2006 5:07:08 PM   
DanielFullard

I Thought Id make a thread where we can discuss all those classic sci-fi films wheter they be the very good Such as Forbidden Planet to the very bad. This thread has been inspired by the sci-fi thread in Movie Musings but I think Golden oldies deserves its own. When sci fi is good its good, but when its bad its even better!!!!

Ill start with some reviews shortly
Post #: 1
RE: The Golden oldies CLASSIC SCI-FI Thread(The good a... - 15/2/2006 7:14:08 PM   
Leomuse

Forbidden Planet is a great sci-fi film. Robbie is one of the best on-screen robots ever. It's a nice little twist on Shakespeare's The Tempest.

(in reply to DanielFullard)
Post #: 2
RE: The Golden oldies CLASSIC SCI-FI Thread(The good a... - 15/2/2006 9:31:15 PM   
Dignan

That's odd, I just watched  Metropolis, which is probably the most classic sci-fi film there is (if there is such an expression).

Everything's Impossible, 'till it ain't'

Last 5
United 93 *****
The Last Kiss ***
Children of men ****
Fast Sofa ***
The Anniversary Party ***

(in reply to Leomuse)
Post #: 3
RE: The Golden oldies CLASSIC SCI-FI Thread(The good a... - 21/2/2006 1:08:04 AM   
Anne Hedley

I would like to add the following which I think are great classics

Gone With The Wind
Bambi
Oklahoma DVD of London production

Anne

(in reply to Dignan)
Post #: 4
RE: The Golden oldies CLASSIC SCI-FI Thread(The good a... - 21/2/2006 8:27:13 AM   
Krazy_Beyootiful

Hi Anne. I'm afraid this is a thread about sci-fi films, if you want to discuss or reccomend the films you mentioned you'll be better off in a different thread, you'll get more replies and a better discussion that way. The search function at the bottom of the forum should help you find relevant discussions, and if not you can start a new one.

If you're having any problems feel free to contact a mod (green coloured people)

How can we be happy in a world where predictive text can spell Indictment but not Flapjacks?

(in reply to Anne Hedley)
Post #: 5
RE: The Golden oldies CLASSIC SCI-FI Thread(The good a... - 21/2/2006 11:15:54 AM   
Anne Hedley

Thank you Crazy_Beyootiful you.

Thanks I am still winding my way around and need to get the broader view of each site.  I hope to be back sometime

Have a good day

(in reply to Krazy_Beyootiful)
Post #: 6
RE: The Golden oldies CLASSIC SCI-FI Thread(The good a... - 21/2/2006 2:35:56 PM   
MF DOOM

The original Planet of the Apes is one of the best sci:fis ever.

"History is a lie agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte

Post #: 7
RE: The Golden oldies CLASSIC SCI-FI Thread(The good a... - 21/2/2006 5:23:32 PM   
Anne Hedley

Well my favourite SciFi films are the X Men series and I am lookng forward to May for The Last Stand which ends the trilogy.

I did no know that Rebel Without a Cause Came under this heading which I noted

Anyway cheers I will put my thinking cap on.

(in reply to MF DOOM)
Post #: 8
RE: The Golden oldies CLASSIC SCI-FI Thread(The good a... - 22/2/2006 10:22:21 AM   
DanielFullard

Well I had the honour to watch this last night....

Its sci-fi horror from 1959 and one of the many seminal (thats what the box says) Arkoff presentations. If you think Geogre A Romero half-heartedly directing an episode of Doctor Who then you are somewhere close. A huge Cone lands in the middle of the forest in a small part of Illinos and an investigation gets underway. It is discovered after a while that there are 'parasites' loose in the town, not just any parasites, but intelligent ones that target the heads of government and the mayor in the areas. Anyway here is one such parasite attacking the main character....

I wish I could get a picture of the next moment. What happens is that the guy gets a bunson burner to try and burn the thing off. Sounds fair enough but he holds the Burner so far away from his arm, the flame is literally no where near the bug, that I can only imagine they were using a real Bunson Burner and he didnt want to burn himself.

That classic sci-fi balance of Science v The Government is in place as they fight to work out what to do and then it all goes a bit silly and a guy looking like Gandalf appears and wanrs of an invasion.

Sci-Fi Horror that I did enjoy but as I said it wasnt good but it wasnt laughably 'crap' either. It is 50's sci fi all over and Vesota directs it pretty well.

And for all you Trekkies Leonard Nimoy has one of his first roles here

Post #: 9
RE: The Golden oldies CLASSIC SCI-FI Thread(The good a... - 22/2/2006 12:19:06 PM   
Anne Hedley

Dianel Fullard wrote

quote:

Well I had the honour to watch this last night....

And you slept.....................I used to watch all sorts of golden oldies in this genre but I have not heard of this one.  I will see about it but it sure sounds gruesome for its time

Post #: 10
RE: The Golden oldies CLASSIC SCI-FI Thread(The good a... - 22/2/2006 12:57:34 PM   
DanielFullard

Well Anne if you are interested in the film I mentioned then its part of this wonderful boxset...

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=srmr&page=title&r=R2&title=478676

Usually 20 or thereabouts but only 7.99 on play
Post #: 11
RE: The Golden oldies CLASSIC SCI-FI Thread(The good a... - 22/2/2006 2:43:40 PM   
Anne Hedley

Ok Daniel I will go to my local HMV store and see if they can get this for me.  Will let you know the outcome and if I get it and I have nightmare.....I'm after youhoo...

Thanks

Post #: 12
RE: The Golden oldies CLASSIC SCI-FI Thread(The good a... - 22/2/2006 3:13:04 PM   
DanielFullard

Id advise against getting it from HMV as they are likely to charge 20+....7.99 on play is a bargain

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering.

Post #: 13
RE: The Golden oldies CLASSIC SCI-FI Thread(The good a... - 23/2/2006 12:02:17 AM   
Anne Hedley

Thank you DanielFullard tomorrow I will follow the link and will let you know the outcome.   Thank you for helping to save a little old lady's pennies 

Catcbh ya later  

Post #: 14
RE: The Golden oldies CLASSIC SCI-FI Thread(The good a... - 23/2/2006 8:21:23 AM   
hozay

I love old sci-fis,there's nothing I'd rather watch on a rainy afternoon.

The Day The Earth Stood Still
Forbidden Planet
Robinson Crusoe On Mars
The Thing ( original but the re-make is also great )
Invasion of the Body Snatchers ( original )
Invaders From Mars
The War of the Worlds ( original )
Beyond the Time Barrier
Children of the Damned ( aka Village of the Damned )
The Day of the Triffids
When Worlds Collide

This is a classics thread so I've stuck to pre 1970s flicks.

Post #: 15
RE: The Golden oldies CLASSIC SCI-FI Thread(The good a... - 23/2/2006 5:21:01 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

The Day The Earth Stood Still and Forbidden Planet are my favourites. The Fly is very good too. Would the Frankenstein films technically count too?

CG, stop motion, acting, animation, animatronics, whatever, it's 24 lies a second...

Critiquing words for dummies: Pretentious, overrated, sentimental, indulgent, populist.

Post #: 16
RE: The Golden oldies CLASSIC SCI-FI Thread(The good a... - 23/2/2006 6:52:43 PM   
DanielFullard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anne Hedley
deleted

Are you referring to the Stargate TV Series there ? If so then, I dont mean to be harsh, but this isnt the place to discuss it

< Message edited by Dick Jones -- 23/2/2006 8:20:58 PM >
Post #: 17
RE: The Golden oldies CLASSIC SCI-FI Thread(The good a... - 23/2/2006 8:19:47 PM   
Dick Jones

Can we restrict this thread to Pre-1975 sci-fi films please? (oddly not as narrow a topic as it sounds).

I've deleted some Off Topic posts (and replies).

Anyway.

2001: A Space Odyssey remains the greatest of them all IMO. Pioneering special effects,  monkeys, mad computers, giant paving slabs...

It has every thing a film needs.

'Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small headed man of limited means, who lost a fight with a chicken. '

Post #: 18
RE: The Golden oldies CLASSIC SCI-FI Thread(The good a... - 23/2/2006 9:02:12 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

2001 is an amazing film but I've only ever seen it once. It's very hard to love in that way: I only ever rewatch parts of it.

CG, stop motion, acting, animation, animatronics, whatever, it's 24 lies a second...

Critiquing words for dummies: Pretentious, overrated, sentimental, indulgent, populist.

(in reply to Dick Jones)
Post #: 19
RE: The Golden oldies CLASSIC SCI-FI Thread(The good a... - 25/2/2006 12:17:39 AM   
Anne Hedley

DanielFulard wrote

quote:

Are you referring to the Stargate TV Series there ? If so then, I dont mean to be harsh, but this isnt the place to discuss it

Oooops   Sorry Daniel you are right of course, I assume this is because it is a TV series.  It was foremost in my mind at the time as I had just been watching one of my DVD's
and had SciFi on my mind

(in reply to doctorolorinbats1975)
Post #: 20
RE: The Golden oldies CLASSIC SCI-FI Thread(The good a... - 25/2/2006 9:29:01 AM   
wrenster

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned FANTASTIC VOYAGE.

Recently shown on Channel 4, I have forgotten how good the special effects were. Who needs aliens when you can battle against red blood cells!

The last time I was in a woman was when i visited the Statue Of Liberty - Crimes and Misdemeanors

http://wrenster.blog.com/
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Wrensters-Store

Post #: 21
RE: The Golden oldies CLASSIC SCI-FI Thread(The good a... - 25/2/2006 2:13:05 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

quote:

ORIGINAL: wrenster

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned FANTASTIC VOYAGE.

Recently shown on Channel 4, I have forgotten how good the special effects were. Who needs aliens when you can battle against red blood cells!

Haha, that film's great fun and pretty philosophical too. We're all tiny really.

(in reply to wrenster)
Post #: 22
RE: The Golden oldies CLASSIC SCI-FI Thread(The good a... - 26/2/2006 12:52:30 AM   
Paxton

Whover mentioned The Thing is bang on. I stumbled across it on telly a few months back, and being a massive fan of Carpenter's version I thought I'd watch the rest of it (I only missed the first 10 minutes or so). I was surprised by how good it was, with better characterisation than I'd expected, and it didn't shy away from being violent when it needed to be. Genuinely tense.

Others would be the obvious King Kong (that is Sci-Fi of sorts, isn't it?), Soylent Green (on telly last night!), Farenheit 451 (hugely underrated, I reckon), Silent Running (saw it only once when I was a kid, gave me weird dreams for years...), Barbarella (umm... see Silent Running comment... heh...)... etc. 

Other recognised classics which I myself have not seen, but will do soon - The Omega Man, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The Blob, etc.

I know it's from 1979, but I must also point out that I think Stalker is one of the most fraudulent, insipid turds of a film I have ever had the misfortune to pay to watch.

And back to the good, would Night of the Living Dead count as a sci-fi?

No...?

Ok, I'll shut up then.

I drink your milkshake.

Films I am jazzed for:

Not a whole lot these days...

(in reply to doctorolorinbats1975)
Post #: 23
RE: The Golden oldies CLASSIC SCI-FI Thread(The good a... - 26/2/2006 2:45:12 PM   
Anne Hedley

Does anyone remember The Blob with Steven McQueen who changed his name later to Steve McQueen.   He must have been a good actor, he certainly was good looking and a real Mr Cool  - but the film was pretty dam awful.

(in reply to Paxton)
Post #: 24
RE: The Golden oldies CLASSIC SCI-FI Thread(The good a... - 26/2/2006 7:32:26 PM   
Mr Bungle

I was just about to mention Fahrenheit 451 - Really enjoyed this movie.  Also, its being remade I believe.

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

Post #: 25
RE: The Golden oldies CLASSIC SCI-FI Thread(The good a... - 26/2/2006 8:06:04 PM   
Paxton

Weeeeeeeeell, you could argue that it's already been remade a bunch of times. Equilibrium pilfered gleefully from Bradbury's book, and even The Matrix shunts it the odd nod. Between this, Brave New World, and 1984, it's a wonder that people still bother tackling certain subjects... V for Vendetta, anyone? I'm sure it'll be tired old hat, even if I haven't read the graphic novel on which it's based.

I drink your milkshake.

Films I am jazzed for:

Not a whole lot these days...

(in reply to Mr Bungle)
Post #: 26
RE: The Golden oldies CLASSIC SCI-FI Thread(The good a... - 5/3/2006 5:20:35 PM   
jenzie

quote:

Does anyone remember The Blob with Steven McQueen who changed his name later to Steve McQueen.   He must have been a good actor, he certainly was good looking and a real Mr Cool  - but the film was pretty dam awful.

i saw this when i was about six or seven on bbc1, and did it scare the crap out of me?
yes, yes it did

it was late night, with my pal, eating malteasers .....

and no one's mentioned the great THE DAY THE EARTH CAUGHT FIRE!

< Message edited by jenzie -- 5/3/2006 5:21:36 PM >

ALIENS: yes, i still have the damn hat on ..... WANNA TAKE IT OFF ME????
HUMANS: well, yes .....
ALIENS: ACTIVATE THE STUPID HUMAN RAY!!!!!

http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/jenzie

Post #: 27
RE: The Golden oldies CLASSIC SCI-FI Thread(The good a... - 5/3/2006 8:12:19 PM   
Anne Hedley

quote:

ORIGINAL: jenzie

quote:

i saw this when i was about six or seven on bbc1, and did it scare the crap out of me?
yes, yes it did

it was late night, with my pal, eating malteasers .....

and no one's mentioned the great THE DAY THE EARTH CAUGHT FIRE!

Hey Jenzie I was probably a little older than you to say the least but I did not actually come across The Blob until later life and by which time I knew a lot more about Steve McQueen - hence no fear   - just oh dear.    Hey I also remember the Day the Earth Caught Fire that was well err not too bad for its time but what about WHEN WORDLS COLLIDE 

(in reply to jenzie)
Post #: 28
RE: The Golden oldies CLASSIC SCI-FI Thread(The good a... - 9/3/2006 9:44:55 PM   
Oddjob

Surely no Golden Oldies thread about sci-fi films would be complete without the 'so bad, it's good' classic - Plan 9 From Outer Space.

Full of goofs, bad acting, bad dialogue, an unconvincing double for Bela Lugosi & the worst UFO models ever.  It may be rated as one of the worst films ever, but I think that anyone who has seen & enjoyed Tim Burton's film 'Ed Wood' (about Plan 9's... writer & director, & covering a lot about the making of the film), will appreciate it more.

Seek out the DVD, which also features an excellent documentary about the film & it's origins.  But before you look for the DVD, why not watch the film via this link (duration approx 1hr 20mins)?  You're in for a treat!...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7038656109656489183&q=Plan+9+From+Outer+Space

< Message edited by Oddjob -- 9/3/2006 9:53:53 PM >

Post #: 29
RE: The Golden oldies CLASSIC SCI-FI Thread(The good a... - 14/3/2006 9:50:09 PM   
BooRadley

Invasion of the Bodysnatchers - don't go to sleep! EVER.
War of the Worlds (original) - Hide in the basement. The machines are all around us.
Planet of the Apes (original) - Darn them all to heck.
2001 - Open the fucking pod bay doors, HAL, you bastard.
When Worlds Collide - the guy in the wheelchair gets his come-uppance.
The Incredible Shrinking Man - The spider!

and a special mention for a 1950s Nuclear Age B-movie with some startling effects and a terrifying sound effect for an invisible brain-sucking-out monster -

Fiend Without a Face.

Saw this one when I was about seven. Bloody scared me shitless. Recently released on DVD here. Brilliant.

Spooky, but misunderstood...

(in reply to Oddjob)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> The Golden oldies CLASSIC SCI-FI Thread(The good and bad) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI