Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Exclusive: First Full Tintin Pictures

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Exclusive: First Full Tintin Pictures Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exclusive: First Full Tintin Pictures - 1/11/2010 10:05:51 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: Geez this is awful... - 1/11/2010 10:15:10 AM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: MarieMJS

It looks horrible, that cover is barely ok (Milou looks terrible though) but that Haddock pic is scary in a bad way, and that boat one, Haddock's arms looks like a baddly 3D rigged character (hello, shoulders? when you raise your arms, your shoulders go up as well, just sayin...).
I might be a picky 3D animator but seriously, for this kind of project I can't tolerate something barely good, it's either awesome or fail, that falls in the second category...
I think that's it, Spielberg has now fallen to the dark side for me... :(

Isn't a little early to be so dismissive? It think this looks OK at this stage but they have almost a year of work left on this, so these shots will probably have a considerable amount of work done on them before they hit the screen. I think they retain the intended look of the books rather well and can imagine they look lovely when both in context and motion. They are far from jaw dropping at the moment but as a first look and still so far from release, I think they bode pretty well. I'm looking forward to this!

< Message edited by pete_traynor -- 1/11/2010 10:16:38 AM >

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/
Post #: 2
RE: Geez this is awful... - 1/11/2010 10:15:43 AM   
big dawg

This always seemed a strange choice for me....I was never a Tintin fan (more of an Asterix man myself), dont know anyone who really was. Despite it having Messrs Jackson and Spielberg at the helm, I'll happily give this one a miss.

I can believe things that are true and I can believe things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not

Gamertag - SqualorVic
Post #: 3
RE: Geez this is awful... - 1/11/2010 10:41:00 AM   
MarieMJS

quote:

ORIGINAL: pete_traynor

Isn't a little early to be so dismissive? It think this looks OK at this stage but they have almost a year of work left on this, so these shots will probably have a considerable amount of work done on them before they hit the screen. I think they retain the intended look of the books rather well and can imagine they look lovely when both in context and motion. They are far from jaw dropping at the moment but as a first look and still so far from release, I think they bode pretty well. I'm looking forward to this!

Nah it's sadly not, there is a Zemeckis vibe to it that is just wrong to begin with, and I don't think this will change later on... This project is wrong from the start, like I've previously said in other posts, this is just an experiment from two directors obsessed with CG and technology. They have a wonderful cast, history of making great films, yet they decide to go for the cheap supposedly in-your-face realistic super mo-cap. I don't want to see mo cap or realistic 3D, except when it's for characters in a live action film that they can't create in real life. Any other stuff is disturbing looking and makes me very ill at ease when I watch a film. Why wanting to achieve such a realistic 3D film when you can just FILM the actors, seriously? No matter if you liked or didn't like Avatar, these were 3m high blue aliens, so fair enough, but here we're talking about normal human beings, nothing fancy, yet LETS DO THEM IN FUCKIN 3D. It's a technology show off, and Im sorry but that's a big no for me.
We've had reboots of major litterature/comics franchise with live action and it works fine, there was such a brilliant potential in making Tintin as a live action film, but they fucked up big time.

3D animator - French, so, probably, rude (I might insult your clothing) - lurking 98% of the time

Missing Big Screen was never an option.

(in reply to pete_traynor)
Post #: 4
RE: ?? - 1/11/2010 10:41:16 AM   
JIm R

I really cannot see what everyone is getting upset about. They look fine for first shots.

They've got another 3-4 months in post to crack it.

Jeez, this is Spilebrg and Jackson where talking about, they won't let poor material out of the edit suite, it's not Uwe Boll making this you know.
Post #: 5
RE: ?? - 1/11/2010 10:43:08 AM   
darko18

Lovecraft's Tintin, more like.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 6
RE: ?? - 1/11/2010 10:43:22 AM   
Rob_Gordon

quote:

ORIGINAL: JIm R

this is Spilebrg and Jackson where talking about, they won't let poor material out of the edit suite,

Indiana Jones 4 and The Lovely Bones disagree with you.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 7
RE: ?? - 1/11/2010 10:47:59 AM   
MarieMJS

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob_Gordon

quote:

this is Spilebrg and Jackson where talking about, they won't let poor material out of the edit suite,

I second that...

3D animator - French, so, probably, rude (I might insult your clothing) - lurking 98% of the time

(in reply to Rob_Gordon)
Post #: 8
RE: agree - 1/11/2010 10:53:16 AM   
manuel809

quote:

Ugh - 1/11/2010 10:18:23 AM
i agree we need footage to truly judge
Post #: 9
RE: Geez this is awful... - 1/11/2010 10:54:11 AM   
pete_traynor

quote:

quote:

Nah it's sadly not, there is a Zemeckis vibe to it that is just wrong to begin with, and I don't think this will change later on... This project is wrong from the start, like I've previously said in other posts, this is just an experiment from two directors obsessed with CG and technology. They have a wonderful cast, history of making great films, yet they decide to go for the cheap supposedly in-your-face realistic super mo-cap. I don't want to see mo cap or realistic 3D, except when it's for characters in a live action film that they can't create in real life. Any other stuff is disturbing looking and makes me very ill at ease when I watch a film. Why wanting to achieve such a realistic 3D film when you can just FILM the actors, seriously? No matter if you liked or didn't like Avatar, these were 3m high blue aliens, so fair enough, but here we're talking about normal human beings, nothing fancy, yet LETS DO THEM IN FUCKIN 3D. It's a technology show off, and Im sorry but that's a big no for me.
We've had reboots of major litterature/comics franchise with live action and it works fine, there was such a brilliant potential in making Tintin as a live action film, but they fucked up big time.

Fair dos.

But I’m not going to be completely writing this off at this early stage. I’ll wait to see what it looks like in motion when a trailer arrives.

But granted, it does make the mind gravitate towards Zemechis a tad… which has ‘slight’ alarm bells ringing in the back of my head.  But I’ll wait for footage to get a decent idea of how this is actually panning out.

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to MarieMJS)
Post #: 10
RE: I think it looks interesting... - 1/11/2010 11:05:20 AM   
Rob_Gordon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cameron1975Williams

... and there's no point standing in the way of progress.

When the footage looks worse as digital than it does on film, I wouldn't call it progress. Not talking just about Tintin, but digital in general looks and feels lifeless.

Post #: 11
RE: ?? - 1/11/2010 11:06:27 AM   
pete_traynor

quote:

quote:

quote:

I second that...

You can add this lot to the list of Spielberg’s cinematic crimes…
War of the worlds
AI
Jurassic Park: The Lost World
Hook

All turds that should never have been unleashed on the public.

(in reply to MarieMJS)
Post #: 12
RE: ?? - 1/11/2010 11:10:33 AM   
Rob_Gordon

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I second that...

You can add this lot to the list of Spielberg’s cinematic crimes…
War of the worlds
AI
Hook

Disagreed, all those are at the very least good fun. Lost World and Hook have the most problems, but are still miles better than other non-Spielberg adventure films.

A.I is a masterpiece.

Post #: 13
RE: ?? - 1/11/2010 11:20:50 AM   
pete_traynor

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I second that...

You can add this lot to the list of Spielberg's cinematic crimes…
War of the worlds
AI
Hook

Disagreed, all those are at the very least good fun. Lost World and Hook have the most problems, but are still miles better than other non-Spielberg adventure films.

A.I is a masterpiece.

Not when judged alongside the likes of Jaws, Close Encounters, Schindler's List, Raiders of the Lost Arc, Munich and ET they're not! By his standards these are all poor, poor films for me. 

Not for me it's not but each to their own. I like some right proper shit!  

< Message edited by pete_traynor -- 1/11/2010 11:22:15 AM >

(in reply to Rob_Gordon)
Post #: 14
RE: ?? - 1/11/2010 11:26:45 AM   
hatebox

I'm a huge Tintin fan but this does look like a potential disaster. 

Post #: 15
RE: - 1/11/2010 11:37:21 AM   
Rob_Gordon

quote:

On a side note: ‘World’s Two Biggest Directors’? Think 50% of the pairing would need to be James Cameron in order to claim that title no…

I think what they're implying is "worlds two biggest directors who actually make good movies"

Post #: 16
RE: RE: - 1/11/2010 11:50:54 AM   
bobthegrinch

I have nothing against Spielberg but I've never loved him as much as I get the impression people think I should, I like Jurassic Park, Minority Report, Schindlers List and bits of his other films but I'm used to not getting excited about Spielberg projects. But, I don't get what it is about Tintin that attracted Spielberg and Peter Jackson to band together on it as a project. Not that I'm saying they won't do a decent job, I just don't get how, with all the properties out there that have the scope for great excitement on the big screen, some kid with a dodgy haircut running around with a dog involved in mysteries got them both on board. Of course I'm over simplifying it here, but nonetheless I just find it impossible to get excited about a Tintin film, even if it is two of the biggest film makers in the world so, unless it gets some great reviews, I'll be giving it a miss. Having said that, I hope it's a decent adaptation and that the fans are happy with it.

< Message edited by bobthegrinch -- 1/11/2010 11:53:52 AM >

(in reply to Rob_Gordon)
Post #: 17
RE: RE: - 1/11/2010 11:50:59 AM   
pete_traynor

quote:

quote:

On a side note: 'World's Two Biggest Directors'? Think 50% of the pairing would need to be James Cameron in order to claim that title no…

I think what they're implying is "worlds two biggest directors who actually make good movies"

Haha! It’s fallen into place now, that makes sense…

(in reply to Rob_Gordon)
Post #: 18
RE: ?? - 1/11/2010 11:59:00 AM   
JIm R

quote:

quote:

this is Spielberg and Jackson where talking about, they won't let poor material out of the edit suite,

Indy 4 was Lucas' fault not Spielberg's (granted any director worth his salt doesn't let scripts pass that's not 100% in belief of) and Lovely Bones not seen yet so cannot comment.

Believe me, I'm a world away from being Spielberg's biggest fan, in fact, I think he's the world's most overated director, however, to label these shots sub standard Polar Express I think is pushing it.

(in reply to Rob_Gordon)
Post #: 19
RE: 3 pictures folks - 1/11/2010 12:52:29 PM   
keaneye

I completely agree.  Too many people having a hissy fit over 3 teaser images.  You can't possibly get bearing on how good, or bad it's going too be.  As an animator though, I hope they're not going strictly mo-cap, but then Peter Jackson is the director who has created 4 films without the usual failings.  Mo-cap can only work if they have good animators enhancing the movements and giving the face and eyes life. All I can say is it all looks great so far.  In particular, the image of Tintin and Haddock on the upturned boat.

Yeah, well, that's just your opinion, man.....
Post #: 20
RE: 3 pictures folks - 1/11/2010 12:59:35 PM   
MarieMJS

quote:

ORIGINAL: keaneye

I completely agree.  Too many people having a hissy fit over 3 teaser images.  You can't possibly get bearing on how good, or bad it's going too be.  As an animator though, I hope they're not going strictly mo-cap, but then Peter Jackson is the director who has created 4 films without the usual failings.  Mo-cap can only work if they have good animators enhancing the movements and giving the face and eyes life. All I can say is it all looks great so far.  In particular, the image of Tintin and Haddock on the upturned boat.

As an animator you should be outraged more than excited LOL... and if you don't see how fucked up that shoulder thing (and the arm as well) is on Haddock in the boat picture, then I don't get it, we've been looking at it at the studio for a while and it screams "wrong mechanics" to everyone...

(in reply to keaneye)
Post #: 21
RE: 3 pictures folks - 1/11/2010 1:14:23 PM   
keaneye

Yeah just noticed that now.  It does look messed up.  I was just looking at how good the water looked.  My point on mo-cap though was that if they're going to use it at all they can't leave out the use of proper animators, but I do think they could have made this entire film with animators.  So don't get me wrong, I hate mo-cap, they just better bring animators in to fix the mess afterwards.

Yeah, well, that's just your opinion, man.....

(in reply to MarieMJS)
Post #: 22
RE: ?? - 1/11/2010 1:52:20 PM   
Drew_231

quote:

, however, to label these shots sub standard Polar Express I think is pushing it.

Got to agree with that

Iv actually shown a few people at work the Haddock one, and they all seem quite impressed by it actually
Going to wait for a trailer before making up my mind

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 23
RE: 3 pictures folks - 1/11/2010 2:07:30 PM   
MarieMJS

quote:

ORIGINAL: keaneye

Yeah just noticed that now.  It does look messed up.  I was just looking at how good the water looked.  My point on mo-cap though was that if they're going to use it at all they can't leave out the use of proper animators, but I do think they could have made this entire film with animators.  So don't get me wrong, I hate mo-cap, they just better bring animators in to fix the mess afterwards.

Lol yeah, my point exactly, they could have gone full animation on this, instead of this mocap horror; so much potential, sooooo much potential...
I think we all agree here, but in the end, Tintin is quite a big thing to mess up with, so if they do (which now I believe they will), maybe finally they will wake up and realise how stupid their technology is. The audience might want to see cool stuff, but the general reaction from anyone, when seeing mocap realistic human characters, is generally EW... This is properly ugly to me and if I was to show this to my Mom or my brother, they would say the same.
And I'm sorry, but that dog looks creepy as hell, its eyes are too close and it looks like a dead stuffed animal on exhibition LOL!

< Message edited by MarieMJS -- 1/11/2010 2:08:21 PM >

(in reply to keaneye)
Post #: 24
RE: forgotten Herge' last will - 1/11/2010 2:19:29 PM   
MarieMJS

Tantan, your posts are totally unreadable, and you're spamming the forum...
Please, stop.

Post #: 25
RE: forgotten Herge' last will - 1/11/2010 2:24:25 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

Please, stop.

To be fair he can speak better English than I can French!

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to MarieMJS)
Post #: 26
RE: forgotten Herge' last will - 1/11/2010 2:25:02 PM   
MarieMJS

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

quote:

Please, stop.

I'm French :)

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 27
RE: forgotten Herge' last will - 1/11/2010 2:30:06 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

quote:

quote:

Please, stop.

What's that got to do with anything?

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to MarieMJS)
Post #: 28
RE: forgotten Herge' last will - 1/11/2010 2:33:15 PM   
MarieMJS

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Please, stop.

What's that got to do with anything?

Well, English is not my first language so I feel that telling him to be careful with his writing is fair enough... and he's been double posting everything, it's a bit annoying. I was merely stating a fact :)

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 29
RE: forgotten Herge' last will - 1/11/2010 2:54:06 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

quote:

quote:

Please, stop.

Can you tell the rest of us what he’s on about then?

(in reply to MarieMJS)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Exclusive: First Full Tintin Pictures Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI