Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Another Year - 31/10/2010 9:10:52 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Not my thing - 31/10/2010 9:10:52 AM   
The Great Danton

It was boring,
the first hour was ok, but than, I felt a sleep...

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Not my thing - 31/10/2010 3:09:13 PM   
nhassell

I can't understand why Empire put the reviews that are going to be in the next magazine up online before the films release date. It just means that people that only buy the magazine for the reviews, are just going to save their money and wait for them to come online, mostly, before the mag even hits newstands. Poor business decision, if you ask me.

This Is The End - ***
Man Of Steel - ***
The Great Gatsby - ***
Iron Man 3 - ***
Evil Dead - ***

(in reply to The Great Danton)
Post #: 3
- 1/11/2010 1:03:03 PM   
keaneye

I was surprised to see Mike Leigh out side my local Cineworld in Dublin last Wednesday. He was checking out the place for the films showing at the Jameson film festival. His films are not really my thing either but I think I might check this one out.

Post #: 4
Sublime - 1/11/2010 7:42:42 PM   
Davechoc

MINOR SPOILER

It's the straightforward, everyday, often mundane nature of the characters' dialogue and interactions which make this film the beautiful masterpiece it is, the ordinary desires and hopes of people living with the consequences of the decisions they make and the vagaries of chance that we are all subject to. All involved are outstanding, inhabiting their characters with a fullness and easy conviction you simply don't get in most films - a testament to the actors and Leigh's directing style - but special mention should go to Lesley Manville, whose Mary is affecting, pathetic and heartbreaking in equal measure. I challenge anyone not to be awed and moved by the long, silent shot of Mary, the camera mercilessly focussing on her sad and fragile face, which closes the film, and lingers in the memory long after.

Post #: 5
RE: Not my thing - 6/11/2010 1:18:40 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Great Danton

It was boring,

It certialny wasn't.

The fact that 'Another Year' is little more than a series of awkward social moments and yet is gripping, funny, heartbreaking and endearing is huge testament to the talents Mike Leigh has in drawing performances from his actors - and stands proudly along the likes of his other masterpieces 'Secrets & Lies', 'Topsy Turvy' & 'Vera Drake.' Unsurprisingly the entire cast are completely spot on. Jim Broadbent & Ruth Sheen are utterly convincing as an aging but very much in love couple who don't need needless doses of dialogue to communicate their thoughts to each other. Imelda Staunton makes a massive impact despite only having two short scenes in the beginning of the film. But it's Leigh regular Lesley Manville who completely steals the film and is absolutely magnificent in the role of Mary - a ditzy, lonely woman with a big beating heart who delivers laughs and tears in equal measure. An amazing performance that completely deserves awards recognition on both sides of the Atlantic. Fantastic!

5/5

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to The Great Danton)
Post #: 6
Ozu... - 10/11/2010 11:34:45 PM   
liam_

I too was reminded of Ozu when watching the film which i happen to think was a masterpiece. Manville is just incredible, although often her character seems so real it's difficult to watch the extent of her loneliness unfold- It's a new jewel in British cinema.

Post #: 7
nhassell i agree !! - 30/3/2011 7:05:48 PM   
jerkyjudas

hey i thought that too. i cancelled my subscrition to empire years ago, i get everything i need from this website. if u could just get rid of kim newman .......

Post #: 8
Nope - 12/4/2011 9:28:03 AM   
Crispin_Glover

Yet another screeching female cartoon from this reliably misogynistic fool. Stop. Making. Films.

Post #: 9
fail - 28/5/2011 12:20:19 PM   
Dirk Diggler 619

What was the point of this film? This film made me depressed on how these people spend their days!! Showing a 1 in a million happy couple, desperate lady who we all se in our lives and so so, I wanted to fall asleep during this movie but it was too boring to sleep through

Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Another Year Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI