Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Action Packed? Please.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Action Packed? Please. Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Action Packed? Please. - 4/9/2011 1:42:15 AM   
Rgirvan44

One of the big points about Monsters is that it isn't an end of the world movie. That is the point. Mankind, as usual, adapts to severe change and goes on regardless. 

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 121
RE: Action Packed? Please. - 4/9/2011 2:39:00 AM   
Deviation

I loved The Road. I thought The Book of Eli was one of the dullest films I've yet to see with a message on faith and religion so poorly constructed that it makes Dogma look like Tarkovsky or Bergman.

quote:

End of the world science fiction dramas with monsters in them and not comparable???

But the world in Monsters wasn't ending, it wasn't close to ending, nothing in it showed that the world is ending and everything in it happened after the invasion. And The Mist was a very straightforward 70-80s horror ala Dawn of the Dead and The Thing.

quote:

Although there are more people in Monsters than monsters.

???

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 122
RE: Action Packed? Please. - 4/9/2011 10:23:53 AM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

One of the big points about Monsters is that it isn't an end of the world movie. That is the point. Mankind, as usual, adapts to severe change and goes on regardless. 

We dont really see that though,we see this from the persective of two people who represent humanity.And on that note,there's no connection.
As for the term,"end of the world",it's just a general term-how many films,be they involving natural disasters/aliens/monsters actually see the end of the world?
There's always a contrived nonsensical redemption at the end,cause we all cant die-it wont sell!

Without love we are dead

Protect children from vile and obscene videos

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 123
RE: Action Packed? Please. - 4/9/2011 10:30:23 AM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

I loved The Road. I thought The Book of Eli was one of the dullest films I've yet to see with a message on faith and religion so poorly constructed that it makes Dogma look like Tarkovsky or Bergman.

quote:

End of the world science fiction dramas with monsters in them and not comparable???

But the world in Monsters wasn't ending, it wasn't close to ending, nothing in it showed that the world is ending and everything in it happened after the invasion. And The Mist was a very straightforward 70-80s horror ala Dawn of the Dead and The Thing.

quote:

Although there are more people in Monsters than monsters.

???

Hmmmm,of course i agree about the Road,.
As for Monsters,see my post above.
As regards it and The Mist,irrespective of genre,there is a redemptive journey and a fight for survival for the central characters.We dont see that much of the rest of the world.The Mist certainly does it for me on a more personal claustrophobic intensity.
And there are very few monsters in Monsters-there are more people!

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 124
RE: Action Packed? Please. - 4/9/2011 11:50:07 AM   
Vitamin F

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hillsman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vitamin F
When an alien invasion actually happens (stick with me here), it's not going to be all flashy and cool like Independence Day or Battle LA for you and me and every other 'nobody', it's going to be more of a peripheral experience like this film illustrates. That was the appeal of Monsters for me, it actually feels more plausible and easier to relate to than the usual invasion film style. Because it's a human story, set to a backdrop/aftermath.

Like I believe I said in a previous glowing appraisal (that has somehow gone missing from this thread, mods!), the biggest flaw with Monsters was the fucking ridiculous marketing.

It certainly was realistic mate. But that didn't make it interesting or entertaining. I am as happy watching Unforgiven and American Beauty as I am watching Batman Begins, The Matrix or even Transformers. The bottom line is, I want to be entertained and this ridiculously over-rated, mis-marketed snooze-fest failed utterly.

It's always going to come down to individual tatses eventually though, that's a sort of inevitability.
The fact that four of those films are personal favourites (Unforgiven is a genuine classic imo), whilst I could barely sit out the entire length of the first Transformers (not gone near 2 or 3) without wishing it would just end due to real boredom seems proof of that.
Monsters is a marmite film, no doubt. I'm definitely one of the likers, and I would personally put that down to finding the mundane but relatable story more appealing than what seems to be just an excuse for loud bangs and flashy things, with no soul.
(Yes, I tend to hate Bay in general )

"...did you just see a real bright light?"

(in reply to Hillsman)
Post #: 125
RE: Action Packed? Please. - 4/9/2011 12:01:43 PM   
Deviation

quote:

We dont really see that though,we see this from the persective of two people who represent humanity.And on that note,there's no connection.

We see that throughout the entire first act before they get into the forest. It's left right and center throughout, the giant walls, the photojournalist asking people, the wall graffiti, people living in constant fear of an octupi going berserk in a inhabited area...Also, there were big connections in The Mist, connections that led to religious lunacy, survival and death.

And no, they never represented humanity.

quote:

As for the term,"end of the world",it's just a general term-how many films,be they involving natural disasters/aliens/monsters actually see the end of the world?

Exactly, none of which applies to Monsters as the movie follows the world living its normal life as best as it can after a small portion of Mexico and the US gets colonized by the creatures.

It's not even close to being the end of the world and it never was. It was a "some big problems in the American/Mexican border which got mostly contained" scenario.

quote:

There's always a contrived nonsensical redemption at the end,cause we all cant die-it wont sell!

What are you talking about? You know that the film SPOILERS is a flashback.

quote:

As regards it and The Mist,irrespective of genre,there is a redemptive journey and a fight for survival for the central characters.We dont see that much of the rest of the world.The Mist certainly does it for me on a more personal claustrophobic intensity.

So you're saying that 80% of American cinema is the same becuase they have a redemptive storyline? Also, what redemptive journey in The Mist? It leads to the SPOILERS the  strongest characters committing suicide, a father killing his son and him going insane when help was only miles away. It's a tale about the loss of hope and the need to keep it, not redemption.

Also, do we get to see the rest of the world in Stake Land, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Stalker, Planet Terror and a million other horror/sci-fi films? Are you saying all these films are the same? Also, the event only happened in the Mexican/States border, the rest of the world was left untouched.

quote:

Yeah, so what?

< Message edited by Deviation -- 4/9/2011 12:02:48 PM >

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 126
RE: Action Packed? Please. - 4/9/2011 12:13:58 PM   
Vitamin F

quote:

quote:

Yeah, so what?

Come on, this thing about the title is not an argument.
There are more than one big beasties in it, the Trade's Description case would crumble before it got to court.

It's a film title - artistic licence and the privilege that allows still applies.

< Message edited by Vitamin F -- 4/9/2011 1:18:32 PM >

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 127
RE: Action Packed? Please. - 4/9/2011 12:18:31 PM   
Deviation

The argument about the title is odd.

Like where were the reservoirs in Reservoir Dogs? Why isn't Rebecca ever seen alive in Rebecca? Why isn't Shaun dead in Shaun of the Dead?

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Vitamin F)
Post #: 128
RE: Action Packed? Please. - 4/9/2011 12:29:26 PM   
superdan

quote:

Like where were the reservoirs in Reservoir Dogs? Why isn't Rebecca ever seen alive in Rebecca? Why isn't Shaun dead in Shaun of the Dead?

If it's an argument about whether the film was mis-marketed, and the title being a symptom of that, then I would be inclined to agree that it was perhaps a poor choice. If you're watching a film about an alien 'invasion' called Monsters, then you might be given the wrong impression about what to expect from the film. At least, it seems quite a few people were.

Not me, mind. I thought it was great.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 129
RE: Action Packed? Please. - 4/9/2011 12:42:14 PM   
Vitamin F

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

If it's an argument about whether the film was mis-marketed, and the title being a symptom of that, then I would be inclined to agree that it was perhaps a poor choice. If you're watching a film about an alien 'invasion' called Monsters, then you might be given the wrong impression about what to expect from the film. At least, it seems quite a few people were.

Not me, mind. I thought it was great.

I would say this was mis-marketed badly through the trailer they released - absolutely ridiculously off the mark!
I'd never really considered the title as something that might be contentious to be honest. There are monsters in the film, so...

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 130
RE: Action Packed? Please. - 4/9/2011 12:47:50 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

That's a problem with the marketing though rather than the title. It's pretty damn true that this film had some of the most misleading marketing I've seen in ages. It made it a hit though...

quote:

quote:

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 131
RE: Action Packed? Please. - 4/9/2011 1:40:08 PM   
thetruth

quote:

quote:

We see that throughout the entire first act before they get into the forest. It's left right and center throughout, the giant walls, the photojournalist asking people, the wall graffiti, people living in constant fear of an octupi going berserk in a inhabited area...Also, there were big connections in The Mist, connections that led to religious lunacy, survival and death.

And no, they never represented humanity.

quote:

Exactly, none of which applies to Monsters as the movie follows the world living its normal life as best as it can after a small portion of Mexico and the US gets colonized by the creatures.

It's not even close to being the end of the world and it never was. It was a "some big problems in the American/Mexican border which got mostly contained" scenario.

quote:

What are you talking about? You know that the film SPOILERS is a flashback.

quote:

So you're saying that 80% of American cinema is the same becuase they have a redemptive storyline? Also, what redemptive journey in The Mist? It leads to the SPOILERS the  strongest characters committing suicide, a father killing his son and him going insane when help was only miles away. It's a tale about the loss of hope and the need to keep it, not redemption.

Also, do we get to see the rest of the world in Stake Land, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Stalker, Planet Terror and a million other horror/sci-fi films? Are you saying all these films are the same? Also, the event only happened in the Mexican/States border, the rest of the world was left untouched.

quote:

Yeah, so what?

The two central characters in the film do represent the only 2 dimensional humans in it.
The rest are cliched cannon fodder.They are background noise.
The film plays like a road movie where nothing really happens.They should have cast Robert and Zach and then we might have had something worth watching.
As regards the Mist,yes you can argue about redemption and its existence there,but that is the point.Above all the religious bigotry,the staring at death and all the issues that entails,there isnt any redemption.
Monsters for me not only visually disappoints,it raises no questions of morals or sense of being.As such events do.
Again,the "world" in question is a mere backdrop to the protagonists involved.The Mexican border or the local store should involve situations/decisions/dilemas of a similar nature.
Monsters is only short of someone in a monster suit popping out of the bushes and shouting "boo!!".
Seperately,i was being critical of these type of movies in general-say like 2012 where no matter how bad things get,the main people survive.That obviously wasnt relevant to the structure here.
I'm saying very very few films take on the challenge without going down the familiar route.Invasion of the body snatchers a notable exception.
And yes,the title/promos for Monsters was misleading.

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 132
RE: Action Packed? Please. - 4/9/2011 1:42:11 PM   
thetruth

Yes,but it annoyed people like myself who felt a bit conned when seeing the actual film.

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 133
RE: Action Packed? Please. - 4/9/2011 2:09:26 PM   
Deviation

But what does this have to do with anything I posted before.....

quote:

The two central characters in the film do represent the only 2 dimensional humans in it.
The rest are cliched cannon fodder.They are background noise.

How were the others cliched? They were barely mentioned in the film, just shown and cyphers to the plot which the characters interacted with just to get to the States.
quote:

The film plays like a road movie where nothing really happens.

Aside from "nothing really happens" is a poor criticism for any movie that could also apply for The Road. You got one part right, it's a road movie.
quote:

As regards the Mist,yes you can argue about redemption and its existence there,but that is the point.Above all the religious bigotry,the staring at death and all the issues that entails,there isnt any redemption.

So the The Mist is about redemption even though it never alludes to it?

quote:

Monsters for me not only visually disappoints,it raises no questions of morals or sense of being.As such events do.

First of all, I disagree on the visuals, I thought they were fantastic.

*sigh* SPOILERS
There's a rather flimsy and overt mention on the walls being not to defend the people inside but to keep things out IMMIGRATION INNIT. There's also the part where the octupi weren't Godzilla's out to destroy man but rather peaceful creatures.

quote:

Again,the "world" in question is a mere backdrop to the protagonists involved.The Mexican border or the local store should involve situations/decisions/dilemas of a similar nature.

No, it was about the world foremost and the location between the Mexican/States border was specifically chosen. It was a pretty meticulously created world and the first act just shows how the people are trying to live a normal life with the imminent threat of a giant octupi creature crushing down on them.
quote:

Monsters is only short of someone in a monster suit popping out of the bushes and shouting "boo!!".

How is it that? It reminded me more of Stalker or The Road than all the films you mentioned.

And please don't mistake objective and subjective again.
quote:

Seperately,i was being critical of these type of movies in general-say like 2012 where no matter how bad things get,the main people survive.That obviously wasnt relevant to the structure here.

Massive Spoilers

THEY DIED AT THE START OF THE FILM. The entire thing is a flashback leading to the octupi incident at the start.

quote:

I'm saying very very few films take on the challenge without going down the familiar route.Invasion of the body snatchers a notable exception.

And this has nothing to do with anything mentioned previously.

Can't blame you for being annoyed at the marketing though. Thankfully I knew what it was before it started being marketed like it was.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 134
RE: Action Packed? Please. - 4/9/2011 4:20:43 PM   
thetruth

I do know the difference between subjective and objective.And irony.
You like this for the very reasons i dont.You see strengths where i see weaknesses.You see depth where i see superficiality.
Such is the joy of film.This isnt the worst film ever,but iŽd certainly never watch it again.
As road movies go,i find it lacks any soul and doesnt capture my interest,never mind emotion.That is the difference to a film like the Road which did for me.
Just being subjective mind.

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 135
RE: Action Packed? Please. - 4/9/2011 4:23:13 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

i liked this movie, a lot more than i thought i might

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 136
RE: Action Packed? Please. - 4/9/2011 4:29:51 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

i liked this movie, a lot more than i thought i might

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g9WjcGdxuM

quote:

quote:

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 137
RE: Action Packed? Please. - 4/9/2011 4:33:21 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

for a second there i thought id posted in the wrong thread, but we are talking about Monsters so thats ok

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 138
RE: Action Packed? Please. - 4/9/2011 4:52:23 PM   
Deviation

I'm really surprised you liked it. That's all. 

quote:

quote:

Post #: 139
RE: Action Packed? Please. - 4/9/2011 5:01:35 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

yeah it was really good. Im looking forward to seeing what Edwards does next. he's very talented and his gift for CG is astounding. I think that's the most impressive thing about the movie for me, the fx he achieved and their believability.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 140
RE: Action Packed? Please. - 4/9/2011 5:06:03 PM   
Deviation

Apparently he's doing Godzilla next. 

quote:

quote:

Post #: 141
RE: Action Packed? Please. - 4/9/2011 5:16:22 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

yeah i heard, for lionsgate i believe. Should be interesting, although i am a HUGE fan of Emmerich's 1998 Godzilla, and i know they'll want to distance themselves from that. Although Edwards involvement does bode very well obviously

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 142
RE: Action Packed? Please. - 4/9/2011 6:05:13 PM   
thetruth

Hmmmm....Godzilla+Edwards....

Without love we are dead

Post #: 143
RE: Action Packed? Please. - 4/9/2011 7:29:51 PM   
NCC1701A

quote:

ORIGINAL: thetruth

Hmmmm....Godzilla+Edwards....

Ya it worries me that he has got the new Godzilla film. But it could turn out to be good have to wait and see. fingers crossed.

< Message edited by NCC1701A -- 4/9/2011 7:30:25 PM >

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 144
RE: Action Packed? Please. - 4/9/2011 7:44:59 PM   
Rgirvan44

You guys are aware that his Godzilla won't be anything like Monsters, right?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 145
RE: Action Packed? Please. - 4/9/2011 8:18:59 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

i think it's a little hard for any of us to say what it will be like at this stage

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 146
RE: Action Packed? Please. - 4/9/2011 8:22:22 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

i think it's a little hard for any of us to say what it will be like at this stage

I think we can safely assume it will involve a giant monster rampaging through a city or two.

Post #: 147
RE: Action Packed? Please. - 4/9/2011 8:29:31 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

you think?

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 148
RE: Action Packed? Please. - 4/9/2011 8:56:58 PM   
Scott_

Monsters. Great little film. I appreciated the focus on the people living in a changed world rather than focusing on the creatures living in ours, you always feel thier presence but they are never the focus. It's a nice change from the "hey, look at our CG budget!" (JJ Abrams...) attitude alot of other films take. Visuals are gorgeous too, lends an epic scale to a simple story.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

Post #: 149
RE: Action Packed? Please. - 4/9/2011 9:46:18 PM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

I think we can safely assume it will involve a giant monster rampaging through a city or two.

Might be a road movie where we don't see him at all....

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Action Packed? Please. Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI