Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Monsters

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Monsters Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Monsters - 29/10/2010 10:24:55 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: - 29/10/2010 2:05:29 PM   
Qwerty Norris

Had this on my shortlist of things to see at the Edinburgh Film Festival, but it didn't make the final cut. Wish I had done so now....

Looking forward to anyway....

1000 posts, woop!

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph
Post #: 2
RE: - 29/10/2010 10:57:26 PM   
nhassell

Looking forward to this. Will hopefully, not disappoint.

This Is The End - ***
Man Of Steel - ***
The Great Gatsby - ***
Iron Man 3 - ***
Evil Dead - ***
Post #: 3
RE: Monsters - 7/11/2010 6:30:25 PM   
Rgirvan44

I hope more people go and see this, and have an open mind about what it is. 

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 4
RE: Monsters - 7/11/2010 9:29:34 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ultimo Lee

A tedious, dull, uninteresting bore of a film with two painfully average performances.

1/5

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.
Post #: 5
RE: Monsters - 8/11/2010 5:45:03 PM   
captainrentboy

It bored the pants off of me.
I knew from reviews this wasn't going to be Cloverfield 2 in the action department or anything, so I watched it expecting to at least to see a riveting character drama (with the odd glimpse of monster here and there, thrown in for good measure) but annoyingly didn't even get that. It was just bloody dull.
It's alright saying ''Oh the two main characters were supposed to be like you or me, not your common movie action heroes'' fair enough, but in that case at least make them likeable or even the slightest bit interesting to watch.
Frankly I couldn't wait for it to end.
1.5/5 from me.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 6
RE: Monsters - 26/11/2010 11:28:24 PM   
Mr Underhill

Just watched this and I really liked it, a neat premise, solid acting, beautiful photography and some genuinely tense moments not to mention an ending which was ethereal and poignant. The film really flowed well for me, it was refreshing to see a sci fi monster movie with such languorous pacing and attention to character moments over empty spectacle. A superb debut, especially considering the miniscule $15,000 budget. I'll certainly be looking out for Edwards next film. 4/5

< Message edited by Mr Underhill -- 26/11/2010 11:29:49 PM >

I hate snakes, Jock! I hate em!!

It's good knowin' he's out there ... takin' er easy for all us sinners.

Last film watched -
Monsters - 4/5

(in reply to captainrentboy)
Post #: 7
RE: - 29/11/2010 9:13:27 PM   
the sangypange

i felt the film was about the limits that we have about understanding the unknown ......maybe the aliens have come in peace but we would never know because of the response of the government and their shoot first and ask questions attitude

I really liked the film, and prefer the realistic acting ( to me it was like mumblecore went sci fi) and the small detail was amazing
four out of five....i thought the cgi was a bit ropey....however this should be forgiven seeing how small the budget was

What are you doing in my tent?
Im Listening to records

check out the Pange's 10 album covers
http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2212151
Post #: 8
RE: - 29/11/2010 9:54:31 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: keir

oh, and the squid sex scene... shee-yit, so what's the message here, that giant man-eating alien monsters are people too and should be left in peace? Or that Mexicans remind the filmmaker of giant calamari? I dunno. Ouch. It's like taking that 'sci-fi as allegory' and bashing it to death.

They aren't man eating.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 9
Shame on you Cineworld - 3/12/2010 7:55:11 PM   
gordonsalive

Been looking forward to this for ages and so glad to see the great reviews - but alas not impressed with Cineworld, my local Gloucester cinema aint even showing it!

A critically respected film by an exciting new British filmaker and it's not being supprted by our cinemas - shame on you Cineworld, shame on you.

'You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.'
Post #: 10
RE: Monsters - 3/12/2010 11:56:52 PM   
barneybulgin

I agree, bored. Kept looking at my watch.

(in reply to Mr Underhill)
Post #: 11
5 stars, seriously? - 4/12/2010 10:14:12 AM   
the ageless stranger

I went to this expecting an alien invasion story, instead it turned out to be a painfully tedious road movie with two bored-sounding actors and a ridiculously clumsy metaphor for illegal immigration ("wow, I never imagined what the wall looked like from outside" Translation: MESSAGE, MESSAGE). Endless shots of people looking off a boat at ruined buildings might make a good documentary, they don't make a good film, and ridiculous attempts to build tension with scenes like the cows just fell flat.

Honestly one of the worst films I've seen recently.

Stand And Be True
Post #: 12
RE: Shame on you Cineworld - 4/12/2010 11:34:29 AM   
nhassell

quote:

ORIGINAL: gordonsalive

Been looking forward to this for ages and so glad to see the great reviews - but alas not impressed with Cineworld, my local Gloucester cinema aint even showing it!

A critically respected film by an exciting new British filmaker and it's not being supprted by our cinemas - shame on you Cineworld, shame on you.
My local Cineworld isn't showing it either. Luckily I have an Odeon as well, that is.

This Is The End - ***
Man Of Steel - ***
The Great Gatsby - ***
Iron Man 3 - ***
Evil Dead - ***

(in reply to gordonsalive)
Post #: 13
RE: Monsters - 4/12/2010 3:27:25 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ultimo Lee

A tedious, dull, uninteresting bore of a film with two painfully average performances.

1/5

Ultimo Lee, in general you've a good taste in films but you're WAY off the mark on this one!

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph
Post #: 14
RE: Shame on you Cineworld - 4/12/2010 4:11:12 PM   
gordonsalive

quote:

ORIGINAL: nhassell

quote:

My local Cineworld isn't showing it either. Luckily I have an Odeon as well, that is.

Then you are lucky my friend, our closest odeon aint showing it either! Doh!

(in reply to nhassell)
Post #: 15
RE: Shame on you Cineworld - 4/12/2010 4:36:34 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

To be fair on Cineworld, the reason for them not showing the film no doubt lies in the lack of an audience for it in your particular branch. Cineworld arent stupid; if people will pay to see it then they will show it.

(in reply to gordonsalive)
Post #: 16
RE: Shame on you Cineworld - 4/12/2010 5:34:41 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

To be fair on Cineworld, the reason for them not showing the film no doubt lies in the lack of an audience for it in your particular branch. Cineworld arent stupid; if people will pay to see it then they will show it.

It's on at my local Cineworld...guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 17
RE: Shame on you Cineworld - 4/12/2010 6:01:11 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

quote:

quote:

It's on at my local Cineworld...guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

Its on at mine too. Its also showing at our Arthouse, Vue and Odeon!

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 18
RE: Shame on you Cineworld - 4/12/2010 10:57:23 PM   
nhassell

Just got back from seeing this. Hmm. It was good, but just good. Not sure what it lacked, I just didn't think it was as good as any of the reviews made it out to be. Might be the lack of realism? I am really not sure. I think it could have benefited more had it left that scene involving the 'creatures' at the gas station out. Good ending, though.

< Message edited by nhassell -- 5/12/2010 12:51:03 AM >

This Is The End - ***
Man Of Steel - ***
The Great Gatsby - ***
Iron Man 3 - ***
Evil Dead - ***

Post #: 19
(Not Enough) Monsters - 5/12/2010 12:24:58 AM   
markteacher

5 Star Rating Empire?

***POSSIBLE SPOILERS***
Only 5 Stars if you enjoy dull movies about a ramble through the Mexican jungle with the occasional glimpse of something that could be quite menacing if it really tried, but in the end isn't.

Looking forward to the Directors Cut on Blu-ray, when apparently they are going to actually put some monsters in it!
(I made that last bit up, I am sure they have no intention of putting some monsters in it...)

Oh, and note to the writer, we all know it's good fun to make strange noises and move the camera slowly forwards to some unseen terror, only to reveal it as something harmless, but it shouldn't be harmless EVERY time, occasionally, just once every so often the unseen terror actually needs to be a terror!
***END OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

A solid 2 Star disappointment

< Message edited by markteacher -- 5/12/2010 12:26:53 AM >

(in reply to nhassell)
Post #: 20
Point. - 5/12/2010 2:06:12 PM   
adambatman82

If you're moaning about the lack of Monsters then you really missed the point.
Post #: 21
RE: Shame on you Cineworld - 5/12/2010 3:48:03 PM   
gordonsalive

quote:

No doubt, although I don't like the idea of cinema's second guessing their customers tastes, I mean I know at least a dozen other people who would have gone to Gloucester Cineworld to see this - maybe the majority of Gloucester cinema goers just want to be force fed brain dead 3D garbage, but that's enough of my bitching.

This film really seems to have audiences divided though.

Post #: 22
RE: Point. - 6/12/2010 2:13:13 AM   
swordsandsandals

quote:

ORIGINAL: markteacher

quote:

Nope, didn't miss the point, just the monsters. Perhaps they were hiding behind the foliage........

[image]http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/files/2010/02/double-facepalm.jpg[/image]

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

Post #: 23
RE: Point. - 6/12/2010 1:07:58 PM   
KnightofZyryab

quote:

ORIGINAL: markteacher

quote:

Nope, didn't miss the point, just the monsters. Perhaps they were hiding behind the foliage........

No, you did miss the point.

Another thing about cinema-going in general; why do people want to see what they expect all the time ? That's just fucking boring.

< Message edited by KnightofZyryab -- 6/12/2010 1:09:38 PM >

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/
Post #: 24
RE: Monsters - 6/12/2010 3:40:44 PM   
LeonardShelby

Watched this yesterday and fairly enjoyed it. Not as mindblowing as it's hyped up to be. Considering the budget and restrictions it was made with it's a great acheivement but it doesn't stop the overall film from being quite lackluster. I look forward to whatever Edwards makes next. Anyway yeah...

**SPOILERS**

Did anyone else realise that the opening scene actually takes place at the end of the film? The blonde girl we see falling is Sam and the guy that carries her away is Kauldner. It seems like a lot of people have missed this point but it's definitely accurate. The same shot that opens the film is shown at the end and the same dialogue can be heard (as well as the humming of Ride of the Valkyrie). Definitely interesting although it probably means the couple got killed during the air strike. Bad times.

"In a perfect world, all movies would be made by the Coen brothers"

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 25
RE: Monsters - 6/12/2010 4:02:41 PM   
Gretzky

^^ Thanks for saying that. I wondered that too when I heard the soldier humming Ride of the Valkyrie and thought we'd be going full circle. If it's true, it's well done.

~ Formerly Ash_Boomstick
Female Film Fan

(in reply to LeonardShelby)
Post #: 26
RE: Monsters - 6/12/2010 4:04:12 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gretzky

^^ Thanks for saying that. I wondered that too when I heard the soldier humming Ride of the Valkyrie and thought we'd be going full circle. If it's true, it's well done.

Yep definitely the case. Edwards confirmed it at FrightFest. Not that its actually open to question, its glaringly obvious (although you wouldn't know that from the IMDB boards).

Post #: 27
RE: Cateir de Pheniox - 6/12/2010 4:11:56 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cateir de Pheniox

What the fuck are you talking about at the end there. There is no sex scene in this film, there is an obviously implied one but we do not actually see it.

You're thinking too human...

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.
Post #: 28
RE: Monsters - 6/12/2010 4:14:50 PM   
LeonardShelby

quote:

quote:

Yep definitely the case. Edwards confirmed it at FrightFest. Not that its actually open to question, its glaringly obvious (although you wouldn't know that from the IMDB boards).

I wouldn't say it's glaringly obvious, but it makes sense of a lot of things when you realise.

"In a perfect world, all movies would be made by the Coen brothers"

Post #: 29
RE: Monsters - 6/12/2010 5:11:26 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: LeonardShelby

quote:

quote:

I wouldn't say it's glaringly obvious, but it makes sense of a lot of things when you realise.

Of course it is! How is there any question about what happens? Its as clear as day, a final kick in the teeth, and ties in to the overwhelming feeling of inevitability that lingers through the whole film. The audience is supposed to feel everything when the realisation dawns upon them what is happening (said realisation ought to fall when one hears The Ride Of The Valkyrees).

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but as disjointed narrative structures go, this is about as basic as it gets.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Monsters Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI