RE: RE:

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: RE: Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: RE: - 2/11/2010 10:21:47 PM   
simonmckergan1

I don't know this film found me in a good mood.  It was fun and brief with solid action.  I agree with jcthefirst,  Urban was a class act.  He will make a great Judge Dredd.  7.1/10

< Message edited by simonmckergan1 -- 2/11/2010 10:22:15 PM >

As you can see, my young apprentice, your friends have failed. Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL battle station!

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 31
- 3/11/2010 8:59:50 AM   
reminn

Good.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 32
RE: Red - 3/11/2010 10:43:46 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

Solid 3/5 action movie with the right amount of comedy thrown in. It wasn't brilliant by any means, but just to see Bruce Willis has still got it (oh yeah) and Helen Mirren toting a gun? Good choice for a movie.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

(in reply to reminn)
Post #: 33
RE: Red - 3/11/2010 11:20:39 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

Pleasant enough popcorn action flick. Nothing to write home about but John Malkovich was the best thing in this by a country mile, suicide bomber indeed!

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Jessica_ca_ca_ca)
Post #: 34
RE: Red - 3/11/2010 8:51:30 PM   
Dr Lenera

Though not quite the balls out action film we may have led to expect, Red is a reasonably entertaining caper with a fine cast having fun.  Unfortunately, they are somewhat stranded by a by-the-numbers script which just plods along and does't really have any originality. Bruce Willis once again does that 'good-guy-having-a-bad-day' routine that he's so good at, and John Malkovich is sometimes helarious as a survivor of thirteen years of LSD experimenation, but there's not enough interaction between many of the characters and zero character developement.  There are certainly some laughs, but also a callous attitude which means we don't really care about things such as characters dying.  The action is generally reasonable if nothing special, with a brutal brawl between Willis and Karl Urban [who is developing into a solid actor] being the highlight, though as usual with such scenes these days it's shot mostly in closeup so you can't see things very clearly.  A bit of a disappointment then, but the oft-used old-guys-going-back-into-action story is always enjoyable and the film is quite fun if probably easily forgotten the next day.6/10

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 35
RE: Red - 9/11/2010 10:56:04 PM   
SteveO85

This was a fairly decent action-comedy. While it may be Willis on auto-pilot his performance is largely enjoyable and I particularly enjoy his opening scenes as he is trying to be "normal". Also Helen Mirren and Brian Cox were ace while although I am sure many would disagree, I rather, liked John Malkovich (even if it kind of played like a caricature of Malkovich). It is not going to blow anyones mind but it is fun and worthy of a solid 3 stars.

Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not 'Mr. Lebowski'. You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Post #: 36
RE: Red - 10/11/2010 1:52:27 PM   
Fignman

My first impression when I saw the trailers was "nah." But the more I hear about it, the more it seems to grow on me.

Post #: 37
RE: Red - 10/11/2010 5:48:24 PM   
sanchia

It is ok. Highly predictable with Bruce Willis on autopilot and a plot whereby the plot twists are visible from quite a distance but it is ok. I think the best thing about it is Karl Urban.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Fignman)
Post #: 38
RE: Red - 13/11/2010 8:24:10 AM   
jrewing1000

One of the most unsophisticated films I've ever seen. The gags are ITV funny, plot points extremely contrived and the cast are utterly wasted on the very very average script. This is filmmaking by the rails and I could see the mechanics far too easily. For example, entering the third act Helen Mirren asks her on screen friends what they are supposed to do about X, Y, Z, blatantly outlining the dangers they are in, and what is at stake. Robert McGee would be proud.

We all know movie science can be pretty preposterous, but RED takes the piss most of the time to get the story moving. Too many times the heroes escape due to the incompetence of their attackers (i'm fed up with highly trained soldiers being shit at shooting in films). I also found the on screen romance completely unbelievable. RED exposes the cogs that turn behind filmmaking.

I can see why this would make a great comic book, but the film lacked a gritty reality to bring it to life. Everything is very clean and clear. Nothing felt real, nobody felt in any danger. The on-screen romance between Willis and Mary-Louise Parker was absurd, whereas in the comic it would have been more poetic. I don't think they invested enough time, nor did they give us any reason to want the two characters to get together. In the end, I couldn't have cared less.

Some good action - the best scene by far was a great punch up between Willis and Karl Urban (nicely Bourne, both characters feel the violence), and worth seeing if you are an Urban fan - he is the best thing in it. But everyone else looked unchallenged and uninvested. I was a bit embarassed to hear people in the audience gaffawing at some of the gags. The same people who laugh at crap sitcoms and Catherine Tate, no doubt. (no replies from Catherine Tate fans please - you are all idiots). Malkovich got all the best lines, he played a character not too dissimilar to Buscemi's in Con Air - a loveable psychotic weirdo. But even those gags were screwball comedy.

I'd give it 2 stars, just for the competent action. But it doesn't make up for a lazy, unoriginal, predictable film-on-rails. And all this talk about Helen Mirren with a gun...who cares?! Oh, one last thing - next time Bruce, lay off the digital facial enhancement. Be proud of your age mate.

< Message edited by jrewing1000 -- 13/11/2010 5:52:55 PM >

Post #: 39
RE: Red - 13/11/2010 6:07:32 PM   
sanchia

With regards to being based on the comic (COMIC SPOILERS ahead: I think the term loosely based would be the best thing to say. Essentially in the comic he the Willis character is a killing machine who just wants to stop and be left at peace. When attacked he flips back to the role of unrepentant killer who will kill everyone who gets in his way. The only partly human moment after this point is where he decides not to kill the character whom in the film was played by Mary Louise Parker leaving her a realisation that the man on the other end of the phone was a monster. I have to agree the tacked on romance was awful.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to jrewing1000)
Post #: 40
RE: Red - 18/11/2010 10:56:42 PM   
musht

Thought this was fun apart from the annoying romance sub-plot that was totally unnecessary, i couldn't believe Bruce would let himself be seen having a romance with a woman so clearly younger than . . . but then i found out Parker is 46, however I still feel it dragged the film down

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 41
Red: Marmite. - 2/12/2010 10:34:55 AM   
LUCASLITTLEWOOD

This film split the audience in two, half just sat there like plums and the other half were laughing at everything. I thought this film was very cheesy for an action film, especially one with such a big cast. I loved the idea of Helen Mirren shooting people and Morgan Freeman looked hilarious in that blue suit. Overall I thought it was a very simple film but very clever at the same time. Defiantly not a sequel but unfortunately I can see one. My kind of film. :)

Post #: 42
- 3/4/2011 4:11:29 AM   
blindlemonpie

Dull but not so bad to be offensive. It should be fun but its just not. Would have benefitted from 30 minutes of fat being trimmed.

Post #: 43
Red Review - 4/3/2012 11:50:07 PM   
the film man

It may not be the killer thrill ride you'd expect from an action movie with a cast of this caliber, but Red still thoroughly outshines most of its big-budget counterparts with its wit and style.

Post #: 44
Red Review - 4/3/2012 11:50:08 PM   
the film man

It may not be the killer thrill ride you'd expect from an action movie with a cast of this caliber, but Red still thoroughly outshines most of its big-budget counterparts with its wit and style.

Post #: 45
Red Is Dead - 29/12/2012 8:17:02 PM   
Insane Batman Fan

I borrowed this movie from my brother because I read the graphic novel, I enjoyed it, I hated this. I'm not sure why but I was loathingly bored by it. Though there was some good action scenes.

Post #: 46
Fun But Creaky - 4/6/2013 1:00:01 PM   
Winningthefail

Red knows how to use the comedic situation of elderly action-packers but, unfortunately, it ends up becoming as bad as the taste of a tablet in your mouth.

Post #: 47
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: RE: Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI