Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Martin Freeman Confirmed As Bilbo!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Martin Freeman Confirmed As Bilbo! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Martin Freeman Confirmed As Bilbo! - 22/10/2010 3:15:18 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: Economic Climate - 22/10/2010 10:38:11 AM   
hatebox

It does seem a bit odd that they've hired a bunch of TV stars.I know the Fellowship cast were mostly unknown but they had at least a lot of movie experience between them...
Post #: 2
RE: Economic Climate - 22/10/2010 11:17:30 AM   
Big_Pants

Oh ffs, so they're tv actors, doesn't make them any less right for the roles!  Dominic Monaghan was in bloody Hetty Wainthrop and Orlando Bloom was in an ep of Casualty or something.  Give them a chance, I'm sure Peter Jackson knows what he's doing.  I remember everyone moaning about Elijah and Sean when they were cast and that turned out rather well didn't it?  I'm very excited that the damn film is actually going to happen :)

(in reply to hatebox)
Post #: 3
RE: Economic Climate - 22/10/2010 1:18:54 PM   
Drew_231

quote:

ORIGINAL: Big_Pants

.  I remember everyone moaning about Elijah and Sean when they were cast and that turned out rather well didn't it? 

Actually I think Sean Astin was probably the worst casting decison of all three of those films. Completely ruined what is, for me, one of the best characters in the book (his 'farmer giles' accent grated like nothing else on earth).

But each to his own. Freeman may turn out to be a good decison. As for the rest, I'm really not that familier with any of them, so will be interesting to see how it works out

(in reply to Big_Pants)
Post #: 4
RE: Economic Climate - 22/10/2010 1:30:04 PM   
The Todge

Freeman i a solid choice.  I can see it working.

The only other name on that list I know is Graham McTavish aka Shouty Bastard in Rambo. 

THIS..............is God.

(in reply to Drew_231)
Post #: 5
RE: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo - 22/10/2010 4:31:23 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canadian_Fall

Freeman looks the part for sure, but should have been Tom Hollander. Hope you read this Peter!!! Should have been TOM!!

Jackson wonít. But my names Peter and I agree with you if itís any consolation.

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/
Post #: 6
RE: www.buyshopping.us - 22/10/2010 5:15:28 PM   
Beetlejuice!

I think the best news about all this is that buyshopping.us has updated it's products!

Anyways, I'm not a Freeman fan (maybe because I haven't really watched The Office) but I didn't think much of him in Love Actually and I thought he gave a terrible performance in A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - I really thought he struggled acting against SFX.

But I totally trust Peter Jacksons judgment and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, besides Jackson has recast a major role before because it wasn't working out I'm sure he would do it again if need be. As for the rest of the hobbits - haven't got a clue who they are but I'm excited that things are finally moving!
Post #: 7
RE: Silmarillion - 22/10/2010 6:09:44 PM   
The Todge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bluehawk

I still feel that picking stories out of the Silmarillion would make much better films. The Hobbit is just a lesser book than The Lord of the Rings, which is kinds of sjitty for a sequel. It's, ye know, for kids! J.R.R. Tolkien wrote some fantastically epic stories in the Silmarillion, which would be a fantactical step forward for the genre. We have the technology to do those stories now. Hell, I'd even propose Zack Snyder directs them, because when you read it, you KNOW he can visualize them perfecty.... Damn, I wish they would just make them...so beautiful.

One slight problem with adapating The Silmarillion.  Christopher Tolkien owns the rights and has stated he will never give them up.

Post #: 8
Good For Him - 22/10/2010 7:02:51 PM   
TheSpleen

Good for Martin Freeman, I think he'll shock a few people with how well he pulls it off.
Post #: 9
RE: Economic Climate - 22/10/2010 7:09:37 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Todge

The only other name on that list I know is Graham McTavish aka Shouty Bastard in Rambo. 

I assume with that surname and your description of him that he's Scottish then?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bluehawk
One slight problem with adapating The Silmarillion.  Christopher Tolkien owns the rights and has stated he will never give them up.

"My own...my precious....."

I would have preferred Tom Hollander for the role of Bilbo but I think Martin Freeman will do fine. I like the rather eclectic mix of British and Irish actors for the named Dwarven roles. I think it'll work. As for the New Zealand cast, I'll have to wait and see. It's amusing that one of the actors Rob Kazinsky was suspended from the set of "Eastenders" two years ago for sending inappropriate images by text to some model. Now, when he's fully donned and clad in the Dwarf prosthetics and costume, I hope he doesn't get too carried away. I'd rather the pictures from down under remain strictly professional.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 22/10/2010 7:18:31 PM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to The Todge)
Post #: 10
. - 22/10/2010 10:53:15 PM   
darko18

< Message edited by darko18 -- 8/4/2013 7:38:18 PM >

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 11
RE: Economic Climate - 22/10/2010 11:28:29 PM   
The Todge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Todge

I assume with that surname and your description of him that he's Scottish then?

Are you implying sir that we Jocks are shouty bastards? I WON'T HAVE THAT.  but yes he is Scottish. He played a Cock er nee in Rambo though.

He's also due to appear in Robin Hardy's The Wicker Tree.  Sadly the "tree" in the title is where the differences end betwen that and The Wicker Man.

Off topic: Robin Hardy, what a cunt.

< Message edited by The Todge -- 22/10/2010 11:31:17 PM >

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 12
RE: Economic Climate - 23/10/2010 6:40:41 PM   
sanchia

I think the part will require some quality acting. Sadly I have yet to see Freeman give anything more than a solid performance. He was the worst thing about Hitchhikers Guide (other than the script).

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to The Todge)
Post #: 13
RE: Economic Climate - 23/10/2010 7:45:53 PM   
Sphinx

Meh, I don't know I mean it's a hefty role and Martin - likeable as he is - I don't know, it's neil armstrong-esque leap from TV to something as big as this

Good luck still I say

Meet The New Boss...Same As The Old Boss

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 14
RE: Economic Climate - 24/10/2010 12:13:36 AM   
Cruisecontroller

What a waste getting Aiden Turner, Rob Kaplinsky and Rob Armitage hunks of the small screen to play dwarves!!! They should be dashing knights the heroes of the story along with Bo Bo Bagins and Gandalf. They should get some of the orgional Oompa Loompa`s from the first version of Willy Wonky to be dwarves am I missing something are they supposed to be sexy dwarves? Am I the only one who doesn`t get this and Moderators please don`t allow this post to be erased like my last one on this thread without a good reason thanks.

< Message edited by Cruisecontroller -- 24/10/2010 12:54:04 AM >

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

(in reply to Sphinx)
Post #: 15
RE: tjsetjetjt - 24/10/2010 2:43:41 PM   
rancorpuppet

Martin Freeman is an incredible actor and comic-actor. He has the vast range such a role requires and would do Tolkein proud. 
Post #: 16
RE: Economic Climate - 25/10/2010 11:19:50 AM   
crazypoker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cruisecontroller

What a waste getting Aiden Turner, Rob Kaplinsky and Rob Armitage hunks of the small screen to play dwarves!!! They should be dashing knights the heroes of the story along with Bo Bo Bagins and Gandalf. They should get some of the orgional Oompa Loompa`s from the first version of Willy Wonky to be dwarves am I missing something are they supposed to be sexy dwarves? Am I the only one who doesn`t get this and Moderators please don`t allow this post to be erased like my last one on this thread without a good reason thanks.

I assume you haven't read The Hobbit. The dwarves ARE the heroes and the whole story centres around their quest. As he says in The Fellowship, Gandalf was barely involved in the incident with the dragon! But I don't know what they're planning to film, the last I heard they were going to cover Gandalf going to Dol Guldur and some other undecided stuff?

(in reply to Cruisecontroller)
Post #: 17
Martin Freeman - 25/10/2010 6:58:15 PM   
JIm R

Tom Hollander dammit 

missed opportunity big time

< Message edited by elab49 -- 25/10/2010 7:13:59 PM >
Post #: 18
Martin Freeman - 25/10/2010 7:10:22 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: JIm R

Tom Hollander dammit 

missed opportunity big time

I'll join you in that cauldron of burning disappointment (not a jacuzzi by the way.)

< Message edited by elab49 -- 25/10/2010 7:14:11 PM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 19
RE: Silmarillion - 30/10/2010 5:07:11 PM   
CoxintheBox

That's a damn shame,I would love to see Fingolfin v Morgoth on the big screen.

(in reply to The Todge)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Martin Freeman Confirmed As Bilbo! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI