Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Titanic

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Titanic Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Titanic - 11/9/2012 9:55:43 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Allow me to chip in with my two cents on some points raised in this thread. Because I know y'all are just itching to know what I think about stuff.

The Irish and British characters in Titanic do fit within a American's stereotypical idea of how these people talk, but there's nothing in there that suggests a truly problematic attitude to the British and the Irish. It certainly isn't as bad as something like, say, Leap Year. Yeah, the "Ah, Begorrah!" and "Cor, blimey, guv'nor" stuff is cringe-worthy, but not offensively so.

The thing with Murdock: Up until now I was actually completely ignorant of the fact that Cameron completely fudged that character. I believe Cameron has apologized for this, but for someone who did an insane amount of research in his prep before filming, Cameron should have known better. But for me, this doesn't derail in the film and I can't get up in arms about this. Maybe this makes me a monster with a broken moral compass, but... Hell, I'm a monster with a broken moral compass. Who am I kidding? (Although I do wonder how a confirmed fan of Rambo - which deals with the very real situation of the Burma regime - can call into question the ethics of Titanic)

The Jack & Rose story doesn't trivialize what is demonstrably one of the most tragic events of the 20th Century. The purpose of the love story, in my view, is to give the flick a more streamlined narrative and a focal point for the audience to latch on to. Maybe Cameron could have ditched the love story and instead tell a multi-stranded story of most of the passengers on the boat, but that would make the film too sprawling and hard to contain within the already ample 195 minute running time.

At the end of the day, Titanic is a flawed film, but I don't think that Cameron ever loses sight of the magnitude of what happened on that boat. There's a lot of things wrong with that film, but I don't think it's cynical, empty or offensive on any level.

^THIS.

That was my thinking too, that he could've gone for a multi-stranded film, but there's so many stories that could be told, that it would do it injustice just to fit it all into a 3 hour film. It's a great idea for a TV mini-series perhaps. Something which ITV did recently although I missed that unfortunately.

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 61
RE: Titanic - 11/9/2012 9:59:59 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie
^THIS.

That was my thinking too, that he could've gone for a multi-stranded film, but there's so many stories that could be told, that it would do it injustice just to fit it all into a 3 hour film. It's a great idea for a TV mini-series perhaps. Something which ITV did recently although I missed that unfortunately.

It was awful.

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 62
RE: Titanic - 11/9/2012 10:41:02 PM   
MonsterCat

Written by some douche bag who thinks the British film industry should just make blockbusters no less.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 63
RE: Titanic - 11/9/2012 10:57:26 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Written by some douche bag who thinks the British film industry should just make blockbusters no less.

Does that mean the script was 100% approved?

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 64
RE: Titanic - 12/9/2012 4:22:43 PM   
Cool Breeze

Theres a line of dialogue at the climax of Titanic whuich is just SO unintentionally funny which is just so wrong cos its when the ship is about to go under.Jack and Rose are at the stern of the ship as people are dying all round them,people are drowning,falling down the ship crazy,Rose looks around, recognises where they are,turns to Jack and says...

'' Jack! This is where we first met! ''

Im surprised Jack didnt push the the dumb bitch off the ship right then.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 65
RE: Titanic - 12/9/2012 4:44:09 PM   
directorscut

Thanks for that. My day wouldn't feel complete without your wonderfully misogynistic insights.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 66
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Titanic Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI