Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Titanic

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Titanic Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Titanic - 2/9/2011 12:05:59 AM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich
quote:

ORIGINAL: DazDaMan
"The plot summary gives no reason to"? Eh? It's NOT JUST about Jack and Rose!

Really? Apart from the boat sinking, give me a reason to sit through this tripe.

That is an amazingly uninformed opinion.

Without love we are dead

Protect children from vile and obscene videos

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 31
RE: Titanic - 2/9/2011 8:03:45 PM   
rich

Yeah no shit, I haven't seen it.

Here's the problem - there are a hundred disaster movies out there, Towering Inferno, The Poseidon Adventure, whatever - none of these really gave me a reason to care about what was going on, it's boring. And plenty of them have romance subplots. So whenever I talk about this and someone goes "yeah but the action is great!" it just raises an eyebrow and I just can't care.

< Message edited by rich -- 2/9/2011 8:04:25 PM >

Meanwhile...

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 32
RE: Titanic - 3/9/2011 8:49:42 PM   
thetruth

quote:

Yeah no shit, I haven't seen it.

Here's the problem - there are a hundred disaster movies out there, Towering Inferno, The Poseidon Adventure, whatever - none of these really gave me a reason to care about what was going on, it's boring. And plenty of them have romance subplots. So whenever I talk about this and someone goes "yeah but the action is great!" it just raises an eyebrow and I just can't care.

So we agree it is an amazingly uninformed opinion then?
And the Towering Inferno boring?I assume you havent seen that either.
I dont mind people criticising films on the favourites threads if they've seen them,but if you haven't...it makes no sense.

Without love we are dead

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 33
RE: Titanic - 4/9/2011 1:17:01 AM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: thetruth

I dont mind people criticising films on the favourites threads if they've seen them,but if you haven't...it makes no sense.

Yes we agree you have amazing abilities at stating the obvious.

And yes, it's boring because merely putting action spectacle on to film does not equal caring about the characters stuck in the middle of said spectacle.

< Message edited by rich -- 4/9/2011 1:18:13 AM >

Meanwhile...

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 34
RE: Titanic - 4/9/2011 5:58:09 PM   
thetruth

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: thetruth

Yes we agree you have amazing abilities.

Certainly!

Without love we are dead

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 35
RE: Titanic - 4/9/2011 6:22:42 PM   
darkarius

I was impressed by Titanic. A good piece of work by Cameron. I enjoyed it as much that I went to the flicks more than once to see it. Brilliant FX. Certainly holds up to the test of time.

Nostalgia isnt what it used to be.

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 36
RE: Titanic - 4/9/2011 7:37:31 PM   
NCC1701A

A shame he followed it up with Avatar the worst film James Cameron has made so far.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to darkarius)
Post #: 37
RE: Titanic - 4/9/2011 7:40:44 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: NCC1701A

A shame he followed it up with Avatar the worst film James Cameron has made so far.

Retrospect after hype has faded, yes.

Although the treatment is still one of the best scripts/treatments I've ever read. I'm still bummed that Cameron will be spending the next 5-6 years with two damn sequels.

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 38
RE: Titanic - 4/9/2011 10:32:56 PM   
thetruth

He swapped his undoubted creativity for dollars sadly.

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 39
RE: Titanic - 2/3/2012 3:09:38 PM   
Sutty

Wonder how this will look in 3D?

"Iceberg! Roight ahead!!"

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 40
RE: Titanic - 2/3/2012 8:49:35 PM   
DazDaMan

I'm not entirely sure it needs re-releasing in 3D. Just show it as-is around the anniversary, no?

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 41
RE: Titanic - 2/3/2012 11:05:12 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

The film in which James Cameron dropped the ball,in the process of picking up a grand sum.

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 42
RE: Titanic - 10/9/2012 5:55:02 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Anyone else pick up the Blu Ray today? I got the 3D set myself. The PQ is absolutely staggering and this is instantly one of the best looking blu rays i have ever seen period. Looking forward to rewatching, and then in 3D. They've done an amazing job with the conversion

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 43
RE: Titanic - 10/9/2012 9:17:54 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Oi! All you haters lay off Titanic! Its my missus' favourite film (along with A Walk in the Clouds)!

It isn't that bad seriously speaking. In fact I quite enjoy it from time to time. I think the last 45 minutes is really excellent (minus Billy Zane's insane gun chase!). You have to admit though that the visual effects still hold's up pretty well today. I think I may have a soft spot for this film! I used to work with an elderly chap who worked in film's for a long time. I won't name names but his late father makes a quite famous appearance in The Raiders of the Lost Ark - and he gave me all the gossip and low down on his time on the making of Titanic! Learnt some really cool stuff about the production of this film, I think thats why I have a soft spot for it. That and the fact the missus loves it!

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 44
RE: Titanic - 10/9/2012 9:43:06 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

Oi! All you haters lay off Titanic! Its my missus' favourite film (along with A Walk in the Clouds)!

It isn't that bad seriously speaking. In fact I quite enjoy it from time to time. I think the last 45 minutes is really excellent (minus Billy Zane's insane gun chase!). You have to admit though that the visual effects still hold's up pretty well today. I think I may have a soft spot for this film! I used to work with an elderly chap who worked in film's for a long time. I won't name names but his late father makes a quite famous appearance in The Raiders of the Lost Ark - and he gave me all the gossip and low down on his time on the making of Titanic! Learnt some really cool stuff about the production of this film, I think thats why I have a soft spot for it. That and the fact the missus loves it!

It's a classic mate, fantastic movie!

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 45
RE: Titanic - 10/9/2012 9:45:38 PM   
Hood_Man

I loved it when I saw it in the cinema earlier this year, and I'm looking forward to watching it on Blu Ray. The new transfer was just exquisite, and it was honestly one of the best 3D films I've seen, even though it was a conversion

Post #: 46
RE: Titanic - 10/9/2012 9:53:26 PM   
MonsterCat

I like it.

James Cameron is a terrible screenwriter but its heart is in the right place.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 47
RE: Titanic - 10/9/2012 9:53:32 PM   
Scott_

The first half is mawkish crap, I really don't like it but the second half is fantastic, Cameron at the top of his game. Might be worth an upgrade, although I do like the 4 disc DVD because I can skip that first half altogether and start with disc 2.

Does that mean we get an Abyss Blu-ray now Titanic is out of the way?

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

Post #: 48
RE: Titanic - 10/9/2012 10:22:19 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_

The first half is mawkish crap, I really don't like it but the second half is fantastic, Cameron at the top of his game. Might be worth an upgrade, although I do like the 4 disc DVD because I can skip that first half altogether and start with disc 2.

Does that mean we get an Abyss Blu-ray now Titanic is out of the way?

On the 4 disc 3D blu ray the 3D feature is spread over two discs but the 2D is just on one, so iof you're gonna watch it in 3D you can just stick in the 2nd disc!

True Lies will be before The Abyss i think.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 49
RE: Titanic - 10/9/2012 10:23:17 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

I loved it when I saw it in the cinema earlier this year, and I'm looking forward to watching it on Blu Ray. The new transfer was just exquisite, and it was honestly one of the best 3D films I've seen, even though it was a conversion

Agreed on the transfer. I've had a few peeks of the 3D and agree it looks amazing. The 2D is simply a stunning transfer.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 50
RE: Titanic - 10/9/2012 10:25:19 PM   
directorscut

quote:

James Cameron is a terrible screenwriter but its heart is in the right place.

A terrible screenwriter wouldn't even consider writing scenes that establish plot and character while setting up the ship locations and details at the same time so that they can be paid off later when the ship hits the fan never mind having the ability to execute them as well as Cameron does.

Cameron may not be the best dialogue writer in the world (although from the amount of lines he was written that have entered pop culture would suggest he's rather good at it) there's no denying that he can write an effective story that weaves together plot and character elements extremely well.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_

The first half is mawkish crap,

Point out ONE scene in the first half that is "mawkish".

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 51
RE: Titanic - 10/9/2012 10:36:00 PM   
vad3r

As a proud, optimistic Irish football fan, what did you make of your fellow countrymen's portrayal?

< Message edited by vad3r -- 10/9/2012 11:08:30 PM >

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 52
RE: Titanic - 10/9/2012 10:56:19 PM   
directorscut

I don't have a problem with it. It was certainly accurate to the time period.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 53
RE: Titanic - 11/9/2012 12:58:00 PM   
Cool Breeze

Titanic is one of the worst films ever made.Not only is it a terrible film that takes a real life tragedy and puts it in the background of an insipid romance plot,it is downright insulting to the memory of those who lost their lives.

The scene where Mr Murdoch shoots himself was such an unbeleivably tasteless thing for Cameron to write as the guy was in real life a hero who tried to get as many people off the boat as he could.Cameron depicts the guy as a coward and was actually forced to apologise to the guys family.

The film is full '' faith begorrah '' irish sterotypes ( who would not have even been allowed on deck as they ae seen in the film ) and the film is historically inaccurate in many other areas.The present day plot is just nonsense - they actually go to the trouble of flying a ninety something OAP out to the middle of the atlantic to ask her about some jewel and they let her blather on for ages about her getting off with some bloke from steerage and never actually ask her about the thing.

Fuck this film.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 54
RE: Titanic - 11/9/2012 1:21:40 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

So you're a fan then?

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 55
RE: Titanic - 11/9/2012 2:49:38 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

Titanic is one of the worst films ever made.Not only is it a terrible film that takes a real life tragedy and puts it in the background of an insipid romance plot,it is downright insulting to the memory of those who lost their lives.

The scene where Mr Murdoch shoots himself was such an unbeleivably tasteless thing for Cameron to write as the guy was in real life a hero who tried to get as many people off the boat as he could.Cameron depicts the guy as a coward and was actually forced to apologise to the guys family.

The film is full '' faith begorrah '' irish sterotypes ( who would not have even been allowed on deck as they ae seen in the film ) and the film is historically inaccurate in many other areas.The present day plot is just nonsense - they actually go to the trouble of flying a ninety something OAP out to the middle of the atlantic to ask her about some jewel and they let her blather on for ages about her getting off with some bloke from steerage and never actually ask her about the thing.

Fuck this film.

I agree it was tasteless of him (Cameron) writing Mr. Murdock's character the way he did, but I dont' think he had the intention to disrespect his memory on purpose and to those who lost their lives. You can argue because of Cameron's film - more people, especially those from a younger generation learned about the Titanic. And after watching most would've of probably went scouring their library or book shops looking for book's on (the real) Titanic, it's history and tragedy and so forth.

And for me it wasn't all about romance, because you also see the tragedy and absolute horror of this disaster. Maybe not the whole picture but even an inkling of it can stay with you. One of the most powerful scenes in the film for me was when we saw all the dead bodies in the sea, of men, women and children. At that moment for me it was more than just a romantic drama. You can argue that Cameron uses the romance as a tool to get the audience engaged.

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

Post #: 56
RE: Titanic - 11/9/2012 3:57:42 PM   
paulyboy

Loved the film when it was released in '97, at the time my then sixteen year old self adored the bloody thing.

Fifteen years later and now in my 30's I'm in love with it less so, but only by a teensy bit. It's really just the odd toe curlingly saccharine word or two ("Where to Miss? "To the Stars!") between the two leads in the first half that I can find fault with to be honest, the rest I'd argue is Cameron firing on all cylinders.

So yeah, love it still. The Blu-Ray is gob-smackingly gorgeous to boot.

< Message edited by paulyboy -- 11/9/2012 3:58:12 PM >

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

Post #: 57
RE: Titanic - 11/9/2012 4:21:22 PM   
Cool Breeze

A Night To Remember is the ONLY Titanic movie that anyone needs to see.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 58
RE: Titanic - 11/9/2012 4:29:22 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

Fuck this film.

I agree with everything you have said but that little bit hit-the-spot.

Post #: 59
RE: Titanic - 11/9/2012 9:03:19 PM   
MonsterCat

Allow me to chip in with my two cents on some points raised in this thread. Because I know y'all are just itching to know what I think about stuff.

The Irish and British characters in Titanic do fit within a American's stereotypical idea of how these people talk, but there's nothing in there that suggests a truly problematic attitude to the British and the Irish. It certainly isn't as bad as something like, say, Leap Year. Yeah, the "Ah, Begorrah!" and "Cor, blimey, guv'nor" stuff is cringe-worthy, but not offensively so.

The thing with Murdock: Up until now I was actually completely ignorant of the fact that Cameron completely fudged that character. I believe Cameron has apologized for this, but for someone who did an insane amount of research in his prep before filming, Cameron should have known better. But for me, this doesn't derail in the film and I can't get up in arms about this. Maybe this makes me a monster with a broken moral compass, but... Hell, I'm a monster with a broken moral compass. Who am I kidding? (Although I do wonder how a confirmed fan of Rambo - which deals with the very real situation of the Burma regime - can call into question the ethics of Titanic)

The Jack & Rose story doesn't trivialize what is demonstrably one of the most tragic events of the 20th Century. The purpose of the love story, in my view, is to give the flick a more streamlined narrative and a focal point for the audience to latch on to. Maybe Cameron could have ditched the love story and instead tell a multi-stranded story of most of the passengers on the boat, but that would make the film too sprawling and hard to contain within the already ample 195 minute running time.

At the end of the day, Titanic is a flawed film, but I don't think that Cameron ever loses sight of the magnitude of what happened on that boat. There's a lot of things wrong with that film, but I don't think it's cynical, empty or offensive on any level.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 11/9/2012 9:40:12 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Titanic Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI