Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Let Me In

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Let Me In Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Let Me In - 16/10/2010 3:39:27 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 16/10/2010 3:39:27 PM   
bobbyperu

LET THE RIGHT ONE IN - A 5 Star Masterpiece

LET ME IN - A pile of hollywood shite

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Let Me In - 16/10/2010 5:07:43 PM   
captainrentboy

I found the original slightly above average, nothing more. The unbelievable amount of hype for it hurt my first viewing of the film, the way folk were going on I was expecting it to totally blow my mind and change my whole perspective on movies, but once the credits rolled it was more of a ''oh, is that it?''.
Don't get me wrong, it looked lovely, the child actors were good and it's story was an interesting spin on Vampire lore, but overall I just found it a tad plodding.

I'll probably catch this remake at some point in the cinema, it would appear Reeves has added enough to it to make it a worthwhile watch.

Post #: 3
RE: Let Me In - 16/10/2010 7:26:06 PM   
Ethanial

I was surprised that I found the original good in hindsight, this film was absolutely balls besides Jenkins. They replaced slow burn and subtlety with slow and cackhanded monotony.

Fresh update 2010
Original update 2005.

(in reply to captainrentboy)
Post #: 4
RE: Let Me In - 18/10/2010 9:21:05 PM   
nhassell

Just got back from seeing this. Not bad, but Let The Right One In is leaps and bounds better.

This Is The End - ***
Man Of Steel - ***
The Great Gatsby - ***
Iron Man 3 - ***
Evil Dead - ***

(in reply to Ethanial)
Post #: 5
Eerily Beautiful - 19/10/2010 3:59:36 PM   
ahaig

Let Me In creates a brilliantly moody atmosphere, has terrific performances and Reeves' direction is great. So who cares if the original only came out a couple of years ago if its this good? Definitely go and watch it

Also lets hope Michael Bay sees it before he bollockses up any more horror legends....

Post #: 6
Slightly pointless - 27/10/2010 6:33:29 AM   
Babelshark

I was very impressed by 'Let the Right One in' but 'Let Me In' appears to be an almost identical version, made with the sole purpose of capitalising on the cerebral malaise which afflicts the pityful individuals who for some inexplicable reason, have an aversion to subtitles...or worse still - 'foreign' films!
'Let the Right One in' was beautiful,focussing predominantly on the developing friendship between two lonely and vulnerable social misfits within the context of far more sinister events. There was no need for overstated explanations being driven home with a sledgehammer and re. the more horrific undertones, the 'less is more' strategy worked well. The Swedish version encouraged the viewer to use their imagination which is far more powerful a stategy than the visually explicit, no holds barred American one.
'Let Me In' lacks the subtlety and intrigue of its predecessor and treats its audience like imbeciles - with no imagination and needing to be spoonfed every last morsel of information.
The C.G.I. effects used during Abby's interventions to satisfy her nutritional needs sound almost as ridiculous as those in 'The Incredible Hulk'. Admittedly in 'Let the Right One in' there were some fairly appalling scenes involving a feline frenzy, but at least Eli was able to feed herself without being transformed into some grotesque figure suited more to a computer game!
I am not so troubled by the fact that a perfectly brilliant film was replicated within two years of its release, but by the reason why,...are Americans so narrow-minded and prejudiced that they need to have an almost identical version of an incredibly succesful Swedish film made just for them, because they are xenophobic and don't 'get' subtlety? (Tom Cruise did a similar thing with 'Abres los Ojos' when he made 'Vanilla Sky').
If Dan Jolin regards 'Let Me In' as more of a 'crowdpleaser' over its creatively superior predecessor then it worries me that such 'crowds' even exist and conjurs up images of gratuitious violence-seeking imbeciles who struggle to appreciate a film with depth, intrigue, mystery and any elements of ambiguity and...shock, horror...subtitles (ugh!) instead, preferring to have computer generated monsters, gore and a plot and characterisations spelt out clearly enough to satisfy a five year old!

< Message edited by Babelshark -- 27/10/2010 6:43:44 AM >

Post #: 7
Slightly pointless - 27/10/2010 6:45:57 AM   
Babelshark

Deleted due to replication inadvertantly of above post.
Sorry about that !

< Message edited by Babelshark -- 27/10/2010 6:49:11 AM >

Post #: 8
Unnecessary - 31/10/2010 4:59:37 PM   
MiaZappa

As soon as the credits began to roll, I said to myself "This film is completely unnecessary". It's a direct adaptation of the 2008 film, not the book as Matt Reeves stated, and ruins everything that made the original so special.

The subtlety of the original is one of the main reasons why it is so good, but in Let Me In everything is just shoved down your throat and really dumbs down the story, which I hate in films anyway. I'm talking specifically about Abby's gender and the constant "I'm not a girl" crap.

The pacing was appalling also as it was so slow getting going and then felt completely rushed at the end - especially the brutal climax at the swimming pool, which failed to conjure up any unsettling emotions within me due to being too rushed & not creating that claustrophobic feeling LTROI did perfectly. Saying that, one could argue that because I've seen the original and have read the book, I knew what was coming and thus it couldn't really effect me in the same way.

The acting was good - especially from the two leads, although I didn't feel emotionally attached to any of the characters except for Owen in parts which upset me because I felt so attached to both Eli and Oskar in LTROI and that closeness was just snatched away from me in Let Me In. I am glad however that they kept the story about those two and didn't really include anyone else.

In terms of visual effects, it was a joke in all honesty. There were only around 10 people at the showing I went to and we were all laughing when Abby went for her next victim or became more demonic. Considering they have a $16 million budget increase, they could've made the CGI look a lot better. I was incredibly disappointed as it looked like they didn't even try to make them look good.

All in all, I think the film is fine on its own, but compared to Let the Right One In, it's an absolute joke. They should've left the original alone to bask in its glory! What next? An American remake

Post #: 9
RE: Unnecessary - 1/11/2010 3:17:30 AM   
benskelly

Blah blah blah.  The original wasn't nearly as "perfect" as it's hysterical devotees make out.  Like the poster above, I was massively disappointed in the first movie after hearing all the hype.  I'm no fan of remakes, but in this case it didn't bother me because I thought possibly they would tell what I think is an excellent story with a little more momentum, intensity and finesse.  The original had great moments but felt strangely flat overall.  And for anyone to complain about the CGI after the cat attack in LTROI seems a bit disingenuous. 

Also...hate to break it to you, but going strictly by box-office numbers, subtitles are as unpopular in the UK as they are in the US, so the little superiority dance might be premature.

I love foreign movies in general and have no problem with subtitles, but a lot of people the world over do.  That's why American movies are only dubbed in many territories. 

< Message edited by benskelly -- 1/11/2010 3:22:09 AM >

(in reply to MiaZappa)
Post #: 10
RE: Slightly pointless - 1/11/2010 3:29:50 AM   
benskelly

quote:

ORIGINAL: Babelshark

I was very impressed by 'Let the Right One in' but 'Let Me In' appears to be an almost identical version, made with the sole purpose of capitalising on the cerebral malaise which afflicts the pityful individuals who for some inexplicable reason, have an aversion to subtitles...or worse still - 'foreign' films!
'Let the Right One in' was beautiful,focussing predominantly on the developing friendship between two lonely and vulnerable social misfits within the context of far more sinister events. There was no need for overstated explanations being driven home with a sledgehammer and re. the more horrific undertones, the 'less is more' strategy worked well. The Swedish version encouraged the viewer to use their imagination which is far more powerful a stategy than the visually explicit, no holds barred American one.
'Let Me In' lacks the subtlety and intrigue of its predecessor and treats its audience like imbeciles - with no imagination and needing to be spoonfed every last morsel of information.
The C.G.I. effects used during Abby's interventions to satisfy her nutritional needs sound almost as ridiculous as those in 'The Incredible Hulk'. Admittedly in 'Let the Right One in' there were some fairly appalling scenes involving a feline frenzy, but at least Eli was able to feed herself without being transformed into some grotesque figure suited more to a computer game!
I am not so troubled by the fact that a perfectly brilliant film was replicated within two years of its release, but by the reason why,...are Americans so narrow-minded and prejudiced that they need to have an almost identical version of an incredibly succesful Swedish film made just for them, because they are xenophobic and don't 'get' subtlety? (Tom Cruise did a similar thing with 'Abres los Ojos' when he made 'Vanilla Sky').
If Dan Jolin regards 'Let Me In' as more of a 'crowdpleaser' over its creatively superior predecessor then it worries me that such 'crowds' even exist and conjurs up images of gratuitious violence-seeking imbeciles who struggle to appreciate a film with depth, intrigue, mystery and any elements of ambiguity and...shock, horror...subtitles (ugh!) instead, preferring to have computer generated monsters, gore and a plot and characterisations spelt out clearly enough to satisfy a five year old!

For someone touting their intellectual superiority, your spelling is kind of "pityful". 

But I probably shouldn't be "focussing" on that...

(in reply to Babelshark)
Post #: 11
RE: Slightly pointless - 1/11/2010 3:34:46 AM   
Deviation

Oh dear God...

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to benskelly)
Post #: 12
Hail to Hammer - 1/11/2010 5:56:17 AM   
The Whisper

When I found out Hammer were going to return to the big screen with a remake of Let the Right One In, I cringed. The film was too good, too recent and too popular (by Scando-standards at least) to warrant a simple scrubbing of the subtitles. I was wrong - this is an intelligent, moving and extremely atmospheric film about pubescent children warped by their 'families' and their environment, at once different from and faithful to Alfredson's vision. The vampiric element is metaphoric rather than dynamic, which is probably why most 'horror' fans are disappointed by it, and the child performers are outstanding, as we've come to expect from them. For slamming doors and thumps in the basement, go see Paranormal Activity 2, for something more profound and truly haunting, you have to Let Me In.

Post #: 13
RE: Hail to Hammer - 1/11/2010 8:16:36 AM   
bigbadbeasty

I have yet to see it, and I'm not sure if I want to.

I loved the original, and I really feel that remaking a film that is only a year or so old is heavily distasteful. It is completely unnecessary. A film already exists, watch that.

(in reply to The Whisper)
Post #: 14
RE: Hail to Hammer - 1/11/2010 9:01:53 AM   
jmebaby25

quote:

ORIGINAL: bigbadbeasty

I have yet to see it, and I'm not sure if I want to.

I loved the original, and I really feel that remaking a film that is only a year or so old is heavily distasteful. It is completely unnecessary. A film already exists, watch that.

That is just ridiculous... firstly, you're rated a film that you haven't even seen, and secondly, this is not a remake of Let the Right One In. It's a conversion of the book to a film.

The book came first and it's embarrassing, elitist snobbery to say that Reeves shouldn't create his interpretation of the book because you liked the Swedish version.

I really really enjoyed Let the Right One In. I saw it on cinema and bought the blu-ray. It's slow-burning and beautiful, but as has been said a number of times in comments on this forum, there is much content from the book left untapped (understandably - this is usually the case with converting a novel into a movie). If you haven't seen the film yet, then it is pure arrogance to call it distasteful and unnecessary.

You're no different from a man, sat in a dusty room of books, with a dull reading lamp and no tv, clinging to his copy of Lindqvist's novel and cursing the fact that Tomas Alfredson dared to convert it to film in the first place - because of course, the book exists, and is great, so surely it's unnecessary and distasteful to make it?!

< Message edited by jmebaby25 -- 1/11/2010 9:02:54 AM >

I make the world wide web a little prettier.
www.hoylandwebdesign.com

(in reply to bigbadbeasty)
Post #: 15
RE: Hail to Hammer - 1/11/2010 9:50:26 AM   
bigbadbeasty

I didn't rate it, or say that it is good, bad or indifferent. I just stated my opinion on remaking something that has only recently hit the market.

Do you really believe that this film has come about because of the book, rather than the success of the original film? Yes the film is unnecessary, I would feel the same if they decided to another another version of LOTR.

Remaking films is something that I am not totally opposed to, but I would like to see more original films come to market.

(in reply to jmebaby25)
Post #: 16
RE: Slightly pointless - 1/11/2010 5:00:39 PM   
Bighousewill

I read the book too first then waited for the Blu ray of Let The Right One In. I don't think it is pointless that it's been remade because many people or regular less prolific film viewers will be able to experience this quite good story that is only based on the novel even the names are changed but only because of the American setting. Subtitles I don't mind but it has been proved to me that people don't like subtitles I asked a friend if he had seen "Lebanon", he said "Oh yeah the one where they're in the tank, oh I fell asleep!" his son said "yeah I saw it was subtitled and I thought that's the end of that film!" see. I'm going to watch Let Me In and I'll take my dad who says why won't they learn to just make them in English about The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. LOL. He has read the book Let The Right One In and in a way I am Jealous because he get's an uninfluenced experience I keep telling him to rent the film of Let The Right One In because I also gave him the book to read he said it was good once it gets past the with the paedophile

< Message edited by Bighousewill -- 1/11/2010 5:05:58 PM >

(in reply to Babelshark)
Post #: 17
RE: - 2/11/2010 12:52:22 AM   
spamandham

quote:

ORIGINAL: bobbyperu

LET THE RIGHT ONE IN - A 5 Star Masterpiece

LET ME IN - A pile of hollywood shite

Word.

(in reply to bobbyperu)
Post #: 18
Why? - 2/11/2010 5:30:56 PM   
guysalisbury

I haven't seen the Let Me In yet but I just dont really understand the why this film has happened at all. The first film is fantastic, by no means perfect, but this remake is never gonna be as good a the original. Why cant people just watch the original and learn to read!

Post #: 19
EXCELLENT - GO SEE IT! - 3/11/2010 11:16:54 AM   
losthighway

Huge fan of the book and was left disappointed by the original film... I was also a sceptic about this remake but it is a lot better than the original and actually stays more faithful to the tone and themes of the novel. Highly recommend fans of the novel see it. This is what LTROI should have looked/felt like!

Post #: 20
No need for this version - 5/11/2010 5:26:12 PM   
artemus

I got a chance to catch this a few weeks ago at the Dublin horrorthon. I preferred the original by a long way, everyone is fine in this version, but there are slight changes to the story and the characterizations and also there is some totally pointless and pretty dismal cgi work when Abby is killing her victims. The killings in the original has a much bigger impact when it looks like adults are being overpowered by what seems like a 12 year old girl. Also the Male lead in the original was a much more damaged character, and his relationship with both his parents is laid out better.

Do yourself a favor , go buy the original , its on sale in HMV , and is well worth your shekels, this is a typical American Studio remake, less story, more cgi an overall weaker and needless remake.

Post #: 21
RE: No need for this version - 6/11/2010 1:49:32 PM   
losthighway

quote:

ORIGINAL: artemus

I got a chance to catch this a few weeks ago at the Dublin horrorthon. I preferred the original by a long way, everyone is fine in this version, but there are slight changes to the story and the characterizations and also there is some totally pointless and pretty dismal cgi work when Abby is killing her victims. The killings in the original has a much bigger impact when it looks like adults are being overpowered by what seems like a 12 year old girl. Also the Male lead in the original was a much more damaged character, and his relationship with both his parents is laid out better.

Do yourself a favor , go buy the original , its on sale in HMV , and is well worth your shekels, this is a typical American Studio remake, less story, more cgi an overall weaker and needless remake.

Actually i'd say Reeves vision of this is much better realised than in the original... his father is only ever heard down the phone and his mother's face is always out of focus, just out of shot or only visible through a reflection in a window... truly distant! The CGI work regarding Abbey during her killings are actually closer to the character's physical changes in the novel and Reeve's appears to be trying to convey this. I think the scene in the sweet store where Owen offers Abbey sweets beats anything in the original for a pure emotional suckerpunch conveyed wanting, loneliness and joy in a 1-2minute moment. Brilliant! ...Obviously, I am quite biased though as I really enjoyed the film.

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to artemus)
Post #: 22
Excellent Very Similar To Swedish Counterpart - 6/11/2010 2:07:52 PM   
Bighousewill

Excellent horror it has a dark sort of beauty, it's a long time since I saw the original on blu ray so I really enjoyed the big screen experience and I thought the music score was better in the American version it amplified the beauty. The cgi moments were typical Hollywood and it sort of didn't do the film justice but I'm nitpicking there. I'm looking forward to the next Hammer horror film I think we can expect good things.

< Message edited by Bighousewill -- 6/11/2010 2:08:58 PM >

Post #: 23
RE: Excellent Very Similar To Swedish Counterpart - 6/11/2010 3:32:29 PM   
Rgirvan44

I felt it was superiour to Let The Right One In. 

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Bighousewill)
Post #: 24
Could never live up to Let The Right One In - 6/11/2010 7:37:51 PM   
MaddiEx

I love Let the Right One In, so I was a little annoyed that it was being remade, as it really doesn't need to. I saw Let Me In today, and after reading this review I was really expecting it to be excellent, but it just wasn't! Matt Reeves focused waaaaay to much on all the gore and action(but I must admit the car crash scene was awesome) and cut out loads of interesting characters and subplots. The bit were Eli/Abby enters just wasn't as affecting or emotional as the Swedish film and neither was the final train scene. Some shots were just so identical to those in LTROI, and that annoyed me a little bit. I also didn't think to highly of Chloe Moretz, didn't think she fitted the role of Eli/Abby AT ALL. I did enjoy Kodi Smitt-McPhee's performance though. All in all, empire I think you have drastically over rated this film, poor show.

Post #: 25
More of a crowd pleaser? Nonsense. - 7/11/2010 1:33:09 PM   
Loosecrew

It was an honorable attempt but fell just short of the mark. Americans can't do subtle and as much as I rate Chloe Moretz and Kodi Smit-McPhee they don't hold a candle to Lina Leandersson and Kare Hedebrant.

Post #: 26
Let Me In - 7/11/2010 2:32:16 PM   
albeefan

Sometimes, you know, we've just got to let go. I saw the original version of this movie (Let the Right One In) when it came out and then bought the DVD. I've watched it about five times in all, and loved it each time. It's one of those films that just seem to hang about you like a fog. So when the remake was announced, like many, I was sceptical. What were they going to do, have a bunch of hard-bodied teens battle the vampire? Substitute phone texting or Blackberry chat for the Morse Code sequences? . . . No, they weren't. What they (Hammer, Reeves, etc.) have done is produced a remake that, as far as I'm concerned, may well have bettered the original. It's only an opinion, of course, and open to argument, but there is something about Let Me In that just . . . works. I'm a film purist in many ways. I don't like needless remakes of good films, but this one gets under the skin. The performances all round are wonderful, and the restrained, almost gloomy atmosphere of the original is maintained, lending the whole exercise an (icy) air of class. Don't be afraid of seeing this film. Although the Swedish version may still be fresh in your minds (and hearts) give this one a chance. Let It In . . .

Post #: 27
- 7/11/2010 4:52:11 PM   
Gerard Lough

One of the best horror films in years.

Post #: 28
Pointless - 8/11/2010 12:39:51 PM   
a123matt

I think i made a mistake re-watching the original the day before i saw this. I just cannot see why they made this other than for the money. Reeves can bang on about including a 30 second clip of Reagans Evil Empire speech and being bullied as a child all he wants this was all about the paycheck. The parts they added like the gore and the very poor CGI vamp attacks take away from the horror and dont add too it. The fact the victims are not in anyway part of the story like they are in the original means you have no investment in them at all. The need to show pictures of her 'dad' as a boy - just irritating - its so obvious there is no need to signpost it.

However the biggest let down was the performances of the leads. In there other work Kick Ass and the Road i thought they were both terrific here though they just seem lost - again i will lay this at the feet of the director rather than the kids themselves. Abbey just seems too like a normal little girl who happens to turn into a bad CGI animal now and again and has no where near the same ageless spooky quality as Eli. As for owen he is just too normal he has none of the strangeness and mean streak of Oskar. Also the bully in this one is rubbish. And while i am ranting - i presume Reeves saw the original as he has stolen most scenes from it, so how did he change the genius/simplicity of the original swimming pool scene into a murky poorly executed mess in this one .

Do your self a favour watch the original - this one is not good

Post #: 29
RE: Pointless - 10/11/2010 10:31:29 AM   
Wild about Wilder

I think if they had waited a couple more years to make it so it wasn't so fresh in peoples memorys then it wouldn't have got such a big reaction as it's had got to say I enjoyed the original more it seemed to have more of an innocent love story to it & didn't really like the way the mother was shown in this version compaired to the original. 7/10

(in reply to a123matt)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Let Me In Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI