Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Most famous lines in Literature

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Most famous lines in Literature Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Most famous lines in Literature - 6/10/2010 10:07:30 PM   
Sumintelligentguy

I was in class the other day and my lecturer needed an example of the most famous line in literature so she picked the 'To be, or not to be' speech from Hamlet.

I got to thinking, that can't be the most famous line in literature surely?

On first thought I suggested:

'O Romeo, Romeo,
wherefore art thou Romeo?"

or even

'It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife'

What are your suggestions?

"Snake? Snaaaake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!?"

R.I.P. Punchy
Post #: 1
RE: Most famous lines in Literature - 6/10/2010 10:53:37 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way—in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only."

(in reply to Sumintelligentguy)
Post #: 2
RE: Most famous lines in Literature - 6/10/2010 11:29:37 PM   
the sangypange

Call me Ishmael. Some years ago — never mind how long precisely — having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation. Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people’s hats off—then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can. This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.

What are you doing in my tent?
Im Listening to records

check out the Pange's 10 album covers
http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2212151

Post #: 3
RE: Most famous lines in Literature - 6/10/2010 11:33:24 PM   
Larry of Arabia

My favourite passage is Tom Joad's "I'll be there" speech from The Grapes of Wrath. More famous is "Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious summer by this sun of York," from Shakespeare's Richard III and I like the Count's "children of the night" line from Dracula as well. 

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 4
RE: Most famous lines in Literature - 7/10/2010 12:08:56 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

"Marley was dead: to begin with"

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 5
RE: Most famous lines in Literature - 7/10/2010 12:19:35 AM   
hellsangel66

For me...one my favourite lines comes from T S Eliot's 'The Hollow Men':

"This is how the world ends, not with a bang, but a whimper"

I am extraordinary. I am your ordinary everyday psycho sane supergoddess

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 6
RE: Most famous lines in Literature - 7/10/2010 12:28:19 AM   
Rinc

A few of them mentioned already:

'It was the best of times it was the worst of times'

''Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make'

But I think Shakespeare has a bit of a hold on this, some of which have entered common lexicon so much most people don't know they're Shakespeare:

'To Be or not to be'
'Such stuff as dreams are made on'
'O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?'
'All the world's a stage'
'The winter of our discontent'
'What's in a name? That which we call a rose. By any other name would smell as sweet.'
'The lady doth protest too much'
'A plague a' both your houses'
'If music be the food of love, play on'
'Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears'
'A horse, a horse! My kingdom for a horse!'
'Alas, poor Yorick'
'Double, double toil and trouble'
'Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more'

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 7
RE: Most famous lines in Literature - 7/10/2010 3:26:21 AM   
Woger

More of a paragraph; from The Dead.

Yes, the newspapers were right: snow was general all over Ireland. It was falling on every part of the dark central plain, on the treeless hills, on the Bog of Allen and, farther westward, softly falling into the dark mutinous Shannon waves. It was falling, too, upon every part of the lonely churchyard on the hill where Michael Furey lay buried. It lay thickly drifted on the crooked crosses and headstones, on the spears of the little gate, on the barren thorns. His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead.

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 8
RE: Most famous lines in Literature - 7/10/2010 10:40:30 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Woger

Yes, the newspapers were right: snow was general all over Ireland. It was falling on every part of the dark central plain, on the treeless hills, on the Bog of Allen and, farther westward, softly falling into the dark mutinous Shannon waves. It was falling, too, upon every part of the lonely churchyard on the hill where Michael Furey lay buried. It lay thickly drifted on the crooked crosses and headstones, on the spears of the little gate, on the barren thorns. His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead.

It may not be the most famous, but it's certainly one of my favourite passages.   Hell, it even got adapted for Father Ted!

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 9
RE: Most famous lines in Literature - 7/10/2010 11:41:07 AM   
MOTH

"Little pig, little pig, let me come in!"
"Not by the hair on my chinny-chin-chin!"
"Then I'll huff, and I'll puff, and I'll blow your house in"

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 10
RE: Most famous lines in Literature - 7/10/2010 4:11:27 PM   
Woger

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Woger

It may not be the most famous, but it's certainly one of my favourite passages.   Hell, it even got adapted for Father Ted!

It did?

Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 11
RE: Most famous lines in Literature - 7/10/2010 8:01:44 PM   
matty_b

It's from the episode where Father Jack "dies", is it not?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 12
RE: Most famous lines in Literature - 7/10/2010 10:03:30 PM   
Rebenectomy

Yeah, that one from The Dead is amazing, did a whole section in my A Level coursework about the beauty of that paragraph..

Oh and from the opening line of my biography...

'Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again'

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 13
RE: Most famous lines in Literature - 7/10/2010 10:13:41 PM   
Woger

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

It's from the episode where Father Jack "dies", is it not?

Yes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCiUzvAoEk4

- - -

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 14
RE: Most famous lines in Literature - 8/10/2010 10:00:24 AM   
galvatron

"It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen."

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 15
RE: Most famous lines in Literature - 8/10/2010 10:00:56 AM   
sharkboy

Yep, that's the one - it's one of my favourite Father Ted moments  It's also inscribed on the window of the Guinness Storehouse's Gravity Bar overlooking Dublin - made a pleasant read last weekend while I was enjoying my pint of the black stuff

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 16
RE: Most famous lines in Literature - 12/3/2012 9:54:17 PM   
Rinc

I'm putting together a list of the most famous quotes in literature/poetry to put up in my classroom. Has anyone got any famous quotes apart from the ones already mentioned?

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 17
RE: Most famous lines in Literature - 12/3/2012 10:07:58 PM   
Chief Wiggum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

I'm putting together a list of the most famous quotes in literature/poetry to put up in my classroom. Has anyone got any famous quotes apart from the ones already mentioned?

"It's all in the game, yo" Omar Little

seriously though, you could have some fun (I assume you're teaching English) especially from 1984..

quote:

"It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words. Of course the great wastage is in the verbs and adjectives, but there are hundreds of nouns that can be got rid of as well. It isn't only the synonyms; there are also the antonyms. After all, what justification is there for a word which is simply the opposite of some other word? A word contains its opposite in itself. Take "good", for instance. If you have a word like "good", what need is there for a word like "bad"? "Ungood" will do just as well — better, because it's an exact opposite, which the other is not. Or again, if you want a stronger version of "good", what sense is there in having a whole string of vague useless words like "excellent" and "splendid" and all the rest of them? "Plusgood" covers the meaning, or "doubleplusgood" if you want something stronger still. Of course we use those forms already. but in the final version of Newspeak there'll be nothing else. In the end the whole notion of goodness and badness will be covered by only six words — in reality, only one word. Don't you see the beauty of that, Winston?"

or if you want something pithy that will appeal to the kids at the back wearing eyeliner

quote:

"Orthodoxy is unconsciousness"

also George Orwell, 1984

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 18
RE: Most famous lines in Literature - 12/3/2012 10:16:26 PM   
Larry of Arabia

"No man is an island" and "For whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee" by John Donne are a good pair.

(in reply to Chief Wiggum)
Post #: 19
RE: Most famous lines in Literature - 12/3/2012 10:20:19 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Larry of Arabia

"No man is an island" and "For whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee" by John Donne are a good pair.

John did, Larry, John did.

Post #: 20
RE: Most famous lines in Literature - 12/3/2012 10:28:03 PM   
Chief Wiggum

Actually I've thought of another you could use for a poster

quote:

This bud of love, by summer's ripening breath,
May prove a beauteous flower when next we meet.
William Shakespeare,

I almost wish we were butterflies and liv'd but three summer days
- three such days with you I could fill with more delight than fifty common years could ever contain. ~John Keats

I love you like a fat kid loves cake - 50 cent

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

Post #: 21
RE: Most famous lines in Literature - 12/3/2012 10:31:49 PM   
Larry of Arabia

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

Well done Rawlinson, for once you made someone groan and it wasn't Matty_b's mum.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 22
RE: Most famous lines in Literature - 12/3/2012 10:33:26 PM   
Rebel scum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

"One morning, as Gregor Samsa was waking up from anxious dreams, he discovered that in his bed he had been changed into a monstrous verminous bug."-Metamorphosis

"Abandon all hope, ye who enter here"-The Divine Comedy

"Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!"-Treasure Island

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 23
RE: Most famous lines in Literature - 12/3/2012 10:37:44 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

Well done Rawlinson, for once you made someone groan and it wasn't Matty_b's mum.

The credit should go to Reece Shearsmith and Steve Pemberton.

Post #: 24
RE: Most famous lines in Literature - 13/3/2012 5:50:12 PM   
Rinc

Thanks for the suggestions people!

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 25
RE: Most famous lines in Literature - 13/3/2012 7:07:56 PM   
directorscut

[Frankly] my Rinc, I don't give a damn.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 26
RE: Most famous lines in Literature - 13/3/2012 7:17:36 PM   
King of Kafiristan

The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

Post #: 27
RE: Most famous lines in Literature - 14/3/2012 9:09:32 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

"There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for one's own safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane, he had to fly them. If he flew them, he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to, he was sane and had to. Yossarian was moved very deeply by the absolute simplicity of this clause of Catch-22 and let out a respectful whistle.

"That's some catch, that Catch-22," he observed.

"It's the best there is," Doc Daneeka agreed."

quote:

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

< Message edited by sharkboy -- 14/3/2012 9:38:04 PM >

WWLD?

(in reply to King of Kafiristan)
Post #: 28
RE: Most famous lines in Literature - 17/3/2012 10:05:45 AM   
jonson

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 29
RE: Most famous lines in Literature - 17/3/2012 1:57:46 PM   
horribleives

There's no better opening line than:

It was the day my grandmother exploded.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Most famous lines in Literature Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI