Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Superman

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: Superman Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Superman - 14/10/2010 5:40:55 PM   
Darth Marenghi

I suspect Henry Cavill may well get his shot at the role this time.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 31
RE: Tentatively Intrigued... - 15/10/2010 6:07:23 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: ashkam

@Emyr

Why do we need a Director with an eye for character development. Even the most devoted Superman fan will tell you that the character is one-dimensional and morally unambiguous. We don't need major character development and we don't need an oscar worthy actor. Some films should be 80% style and 20% substance and this is one of them. I'm excited, Snyder is the best option.

As I've said elsewhere there's a fair bit of tragedy to Superman, as he is the last son of Krypton. The only one of his kind left (bar Kara Zor-El) and so this sense of loneliness and isolation can make for some good character development. Making Superman an interesting character has nothing to do with his moral outlook, this facet of his character is a given and does not need to be altered. Furthermore, if he was such one dimensional character then he would have had such a successful run in the comics. Moreover, while Christopher Reeve was not an oscar darling his acting was highly commendable in the films. In particular, the contrast between the nerdy and shy Clark Klent and the very confident Superman. This is part of why the character was engaging. His scenes where he displayed emotion for the loss of Lois Lane in the original film were also convincing and added that pathos to the character. It's the "80% style and 20% substance" approach which dooms many films of this genre. Both "Batman Begins" and "The Dark Knight" were films rich with character exploration and brimming with clever ideas. I don't see why the next Superman film should be different. Of course you'll get your wish with an emphasis on the substance as Zack Snyder is well-known for delivering effects heavy films but hopefully Nolan and Goyer will reign in any urge of his to just have Superman destroying things left, right and centre and instead, deliver a smart film with a character who is fascinating regardless of his moral persuasion.

I think Henry Cavill should be considered for the role. I'd even consider Tom Welling for the role. I'm not sure whether one would be willing to export the universe of "Smallville" from television to the big screen. It could work but I suspect Goyer, Nolan and Snyder will want to create their own universe free from the trappings of any established canon. Still, Matthew Bomer would be an interesting casting choice as he does look like Tom Welling. The one caveat is that an actor with a sufficient physical presence is required.

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to ashkam)
Post #: 32
RE: Tentatively Intrigued... - 16/10/2010 11:07:53 AM   
gazpop

Well said

Yeah, that's real fine expensive gear you brought out here, Mr. Hooper.'Course I don't know what that bastard shark's gonna do with it-might eat it I suppose. Seen one eat a rockin' chair one time. Hey chieffy, next time you just ask me which line to pull

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 33
RE: Superman - 16/10/2010 1:28:57 PM   
Invader_Ace

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man
Matthew Bomer. He's already played Superman in adverts for Toyota Prius on US telly.

Huh?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDfTTO9Z2rU&NR=1

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 34
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: Superman Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI