Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Zack Snyder Directing Superman

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Zack Snyder Directing Superman Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Zack Snyder Directing Superman - 5/10/2010 2:18:50 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: Disappointing - 5/10/2010 2:46:32 AM   
The Todge

So Hack Snyder's directing Superman?

So ends my interest.

THIS..............is God.

Post #: 2
RE: Tentatively Intrigued... - 5/10/2010 3:25:25 AM   
Emyr Thy King

I think they've hired the man due to his 'visual flair' and perhaps because he slavishly adapted 'the Watchmen' graphic novel they'll opt to adapt a Superman graphic novel with Snyder's eye for a faithful translation. I'm disappointed a little. I hoped they would've chosen a director in the vein of Duncan Jones. Someone who hasn't filmed a superhero film before with an eye for character development. Goyer is writing the script and Nolan is the executive producer. Hopeless?

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self
Post #: 3
RE: Disappointing - 5/10/2010 3:27:36 AM   
impqueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Todge

So Hack Snyder's directing Superman?

So ends my interest.

As Above.

Yes, always.

(in reply to The Todge)
Post #: 4
Superman! - 5/10/2010 9:00:17 AM   
Alistair

This is great news. Snyder is the kind of visionary director that this character needs. And this will certainly take Superman into a new direction.

While I'm not the biggest fan of Watchmen, it is, visually, pretty incredible and very well made.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift...that's why they call it the present.
Post #: 5
RE: ALSO... - 5/10/2010 9:50:00 AM   
UTB

I think it's a great choice, personally.
Post #: 6
RE: Jeffrey Dean Morgan as General Zod anyone? - 5/10/2010 10:20:27 AM   
adambatman82

I'm looking forward to seeing what Snyder can do with this, but don't get the love for David Goyer. The Batman films are the exception to the rule of his CV, with the amount of crap in there (Ghost Rider, the Hasselhoff Nick Fury movie, Blade 3) overshadowing the few good films (Dark City, Blade 2). Its clear that his work is only really any good when in the right hands, and I'm not sure whether I would class Zack "Visionary" Snyder in the same league as Del Toro or Nolan. Nolan's involvement here does excite me, and like I said, I am interested in seeing what Snyder does with the material, but after Watchmen I'm hoping he has a better understanding of the source material before he sets out to make the film.
Post #: 7
RE: Bring back Brandon Routh! - 5/10/2010 1:06:15 PM   
kumar

What a choice. Not too thrilled about another Zod though, no need to re-run that story. New villian please, Metallo, Braniac, Darkseid, theres so many new avenues to go down. Cant wait to see what he comes up with.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5
Post #: 8
RE: Bring back Brandon Routh! - 5/10/2010 1:06:19 PM   
Wild about Wilder

I know nobody will agree with this but I like Tom Welling from Smallville.
Post #: 9
RE: Bring back Brandon Routh! - 5/10/2010 1:44:47 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild about Wilder

I know nobody will agree with this but I like Tom Welling from Smallville.

Iíve only ever dipped into Smallville but heís perfectly fine in it I think. But thatís TV. I just canít imagine him as a top billing actor carrying such a huge character on film though.

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 10
RE: - 5/10/2010 1:59:44 PM   
James2183

Another reboot?

Don Draper for Superman!

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch
Post #: 11
RE: Tentatively Intrigued... - 5/10/2010 4:28:22 PM   
ashkam

@Emyr

Why do we need a Director with an eye for character development. Even the most devoted Superman fan will tell you that the character is one-dimensional and morally unambiguous. We don't need major character development and we don't need an oscar worthy actor. Some films should be 80% style and 20% substance and this is one of them. I'm excited, Snyder is the best option.

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 12
RE: Think About It. - 5/10/2010 5:26:12 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

Ultimately I guess, if it's written well enough and cast right, all Snyder is providing is his visual style to what is Nolan/Goyer's project.
Post #: 13
RE: Zack Snyder Directing Superman - 5/10/2010 6:22:12 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul.mccluskey

I take it Brandon Routh isn't going to be Superman? He was perfectly cast in Returns in my opinion, he was the spitting image of Christopher Reeve.

Snyder has apparently said Routh is not likely to play Superman again - which is a great shame albeit an understandable decision.
Post #: 14
RE: Zack Snyder Directing Superman - 5/10/2010 6:24:07 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul.mccluskey

I take it Brandon Routh isn't going to be Superman? He was perfectly cast in Returns in my opinion, he was the spitting image of Christopher Reeve.

Snyder has apparently said Routh is not likely to play Superman again - which is a great shame albeit an understandable decision.

It does suggest that they shall be trying to to create something fresher and do not want to hark back to previous films. The only thing is oh Zod not again.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 15
RE: Tentatively Intrigued... - 5/10/2010 6:55:18 PM   
captainrentboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: ashkam

Why do we need a Director with an eye for character development. Even the most devoted Superman fan will tell you that the character is one-dimensional and morally unambiguous. We don't need major character development and we don't need an oscar worthy actor. Some films should be 80% style and 20% substance and this is one of them. I'm excited, Snyder is the best option.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. This is right up Snyder's alley and he was my preferred choice by far over the rest of the candidates.
And as someone else mentioned, if ever a film would make use of a bit of slow-mo it's bloody ''I'm faster than a speeding bullet'' Superman.
Now the painful 2Yr wait begins...

(in reply to ashkam)
Post #: 16
RE: Zack Snyder Directing Superman - 5/10/2010 7:42:00 PM   
ehowarth

There's two things I love about the Reeve movies, and only one of them I can explain. The one I can explain is the chemistry between  Reeve and Kidder. The one I can't is that feeling I get whenever I see Reeve take flight. Seriously, I become about six again! I don't think it's an understatement that Reeve made a bunch of us believe a man can fly. But, after swatting away all this childhood mist that's suddenly rolled into my office, I think casting is going to be insanely important, here.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 17
RE: Zack Snyder Directing Superman - 5/10/2010 8:07:47 PM   
kenada_woo

As long as he doesnt have a script in-put...all he has to do is shoot Goyer's/Nolan's script, blow some shit up, make it look pretty and it'll basically finish itself off nicely.

http://dereksdontrunfilms.blogspot.co.uk/

"You bailed out a Jamaican street named Monkey the other day, I want him. This other piece of shit, Screwface, I want him. I know you're a scumbag and a puke, I don't mind that, but give me what I need and I'll leave here a nice guy. If you don't, I'm gonna fuck you up. "

Hatcher. Marked For Death

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 18
RE: Tentatively Intrigued... - 5/10/2010 8:26:09 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: ashkam

@Emyr

I absolutely agree with this, providing the film isn't two and a half hours

(in reply to ashkam)
Post #: 19
RE: - 7/10/2010 9:04:52 AM   
Andybee76

Sounds good to me! I think Watchmen was okay and I am comforted by Nolans presence! I don't think letting someone like Duncan Jones direct something so big after something so small would be right. Maybe he could direct one of the lesser known superhero films to prove he can do it before moving on to bigger names!

I have and always will be, your friend
Post #: 20
RE: Tentatively Intrigued... - 7/10/2010 9:32:05 PM   
haranjen

"because he slavishly adapted 'the Watchmen' graphic novel"... I wish this was the case.

He destroyed Watchmen by leaving out the very narrative elements that made the comic so brilliant.

I love Superman as a character and agree that a slightly more thoughtful director would have been a better choice. I just hope Snyder doesn't manage to add some god awful sex scene into the franchise.

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 21
RE: Tentatively Intrigued... - 8/10/2010 3:23:21 PM   
Histeria

quote:

ORIGINAL: haranjen

"because he slavishly adapted 'the Watchmen' graphic novel"... I wish this was the case.

He destroyed Watchmen by leaving out the very narrative elements that made the comic so brilliant.

Not sure you can blame Snyder for that - he didn't write the screenplay. Snyder's visuals were hella accurate to the graphic novel.

< Message edited by Histeria -- 8/10/2010 3:24:15 PM >

(in reply to haranjen)
Post #: 22
RE: Zack Snyder Directing Superman - 9/10/2010 11:03:56 AM   
jobloffski

quote:

ORIGINAL: ehowarth

There's two things I love about the Reeve movies, and only one of them I can explain. The one I can explain is the chemistry between† Reeve and Kidder. The one I can't is that feeling I get whenever I see Reeve take flight. Seriously, I become about six again! I don't think it's an understatement that Reeve made a bunch of us believe a man can fly. But, after swatting away all this childhood mist that's suddenly rolled into my office, I think casting is going to be insanely important, here.

I think the reason you feel that way is purely Reeves sometimes criminally underrated performance as Clark/Supes. You believe in his performance when he is not flying, you believe it really is Clark taking off his suit to become superman and that extends into when he leaves the ground. Merely the one scene in Superman II where he is clark one second and drops that persona a second later when Lois' suspicions he is Superman are confirmed shows just how far apart the two performances are. My directing experinece is limited, but even I would tell actors something that transcends everything and cuts to the chase: If when playing the part, you allow yourself to truly believe you are this character, everbody else will believe it too, because your eyes will become the eyes of that character without you having to do anything else at all.

Also, Reeves' superman clearly LOVED being super and using his power for good.

The problem with the Singer version is it chucked in the angst too early and didn't allow 1) Enough time for Supes to be Super prior to the angst and 2) Enough time for others to be impressed all over again by his Superness prior to the angst. It also wasted screen time on unecessary Smallville and childhood flashback scenes.

Compare Reeves to Routh, and his angst (mild confusion, really) to Reeves realising Lois is dead in the first movie. The contrast between the superness and the angst is quite devastating in Reeves, whereas with Routh, it was almost all angst, all the time. Reeves had time to show one face of the character and then show the opposite, when something happened that was outside his experience.

Singer made a fatal mistake in having all the important stuff that motivated the entire story of Superman Returns happen prior to the start of the film, and cover it all with a brief title card. Removing the Smallville stuff from SR and using the screentime at the start, to begin what seems a more familiar Superman film, and depicting the Lois/Supes relationship Supes hoped he would be coming back to, then showing him wrestle with the decision to go look for Krypton, and depict Lois realising he had gone, then have a time jump...old fashioned ideas, maybe, but if you want an emotional payoff for a situation, you have to do the work of setting it up (or if you're going to trade on an earlier film you have to make sure the narrative flow is uninterrupted and solid, and not just copy/rejig scenes and shots as if they are why the films worked and not the story itself).

Reeves was so effective because was allowed to 'be' superman and hopeful most of the time so that it actually created drama when he had to do something he wasn't expecting. And the time he spent looking as Lois (as Clark and Supes) and falling in love with her all served to set up the payoff of utter helplessness when he was looking at her dead.

Basic storytelling technique (set up, complicate, pay off) is what made Reeves work. Along with a performance borne of clarity of focus: you believe what you're doing and saying, Mr actor, sir, and you will be convincing.

(in reply to ehowarth)
Post #: 23
RE: Zack Snyder Directing Superman - 9/10/2010 11:34:28 AM   
gazpop

Some great points. You're gonna need to cast this one real well. If he goes down the Lois and Clark route that's 2 fekkin important leads needed right there. He's gonna need to make us believe in him. And in his ability to fly. That was one of the many great things from the first movie. Without great special effects, we believed it was happening.
I must confess to not having seen Superman Returns. A lot of comment put me off it but I obviously need to see it. Singer seems to divide people right down the middle. If Supes is morally ambiguous and pretty straight down the line then maybe a little more back story/growing up is needed. We accepted him as such in the first movie cos we were along for the ride and who are we to judge? But we know him a little better now and some of the film can be used to show how he came to be the man he is today. I have only seen 2 or 3 episodes of smallville, and though I'm sure he won't use him, the guy from the show seemed perfectly cast. Innocent. Strong. Believable. The poster/director before me was most correct in stating that whoever is cast needs to 'believe' in themself cos Supes is ultimately 2 people; the struggle within needs to be shown, believed in and resolved. And don't make Lois too perrty eh? Supes wouldn't go for a bimbo. Ok, make her pretty. But make her smart too.
As for General Zod? No no no. Done and dusted. You can't top Terrence. There must be loads more ideas out there. Maybe throw some ecological thing in; how we're messing up our world and maybe he can help?
As for Snyder? Jury's out......

Yeah, that's real fine expensive gear you brought out here, Mr. Hooper.'Course I don't know what that bastard shark's gonna do with it-might eat it I suppose. Seen one eat a rockin' chair one time. Hey chieffy, next time you just ask me which line to pull

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 24
RE: Zack Snyder Directing Superman - 9/10/2010 11:46:12 AM   
oui3d

According to of the info out there it looks like they brought Snyder in because he can get it done on deadline which is fine for the studios, if a little worrying for people who write slowly.

Notes would be:

More emotionally driven action. A punch to stop a bad guy is great, A punch to save a life is involving.
A Lois Lane that looks like a woman - I thought social services would have taken Lois's kid away, She looks 15! And an APB out for the father!
An antagonist with a face. No amorphous blobs or big machines from space.

Oh yes, and if Nolan starts turning it into the Insurance Salesman of Steel use him as a Toast Rack.

No French, German, Spanish or Scandinavian film company is allowed to release a film in America. No British film company is allowed to release a film in America. And yet we allow America 100% access to our domestic market.

The best Star Wars film was directed by a 55 year old journeyman. Mental isn't it?

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 25
RE: Zack Snyder Directing Superman - 12/10/2010 9:41:18 PM   
Fuzzbap

quote:

ORIGINAL: gazpop

Maybe throw some ecological thing in; how we're messing up our world and maybe he can help?

Yeah! It could be a story about the madness of nuclear weapons, and have an actual bad guy made out of a combination of Superman's DNA and nuclear waste.

Wait a second...

Shut your mouth, or I shall fly at you like a bag of cocks.

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 26
RE: Zack Snyder Directing Superman - 12/10/2010 9:47:40 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: oui3d

Oh yes, and if Nolan starts turning it into the Insurance Salesman of Steel use him as a Toast Rack.

???

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to oui3d)
Post #: 27
Superman - 13/10/2010 3:57:45 PM   
Alistair

I think that this new Superman film is going to be one of the most difficult casting decisions in years. Singer needed to find someone similar to Reeve, and got him. He was very fortunate. Routh did a fine job.

But, Snyder has to find a new Superman that embodies all of what Superman is and needs to be, while also bringing a slightly new approach to the table. The actor needs to be able to act (obviously), needs to have the right 'look', needs to have the right build (or a strict training programme!) and needs to have that special something.

If you take the role of James Bond then you could imagine a few actors at the moment who might be able to play the character. But I'm wracking my brain and I can't think of a single actor off the top of my head who's worthy of Superman. Maybe they'll go with a relative unknown again. Difficult.

< Message edited by Alistair -- 13/10/2010 4:00:47 PM >

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift...that's why they call it the present.
Post #: 28
RE: Superman - 14/10/2010 4:16:06 PM   
gazpop

Zac Effron. In nhs specs?
Ashton Kutchner? In skater garb?
Seriously though, it's such an iconic role I think they should go for an unknown. It's not like there's no talent out there is it?

Yeah, that's real fine expensive gear you brought out here, Mr. Hooper.'Course I don't know what that bastard shark's gonna do with it-might eat it I suppose. Seen one eat a rockin' chair one time. Hey chieffy, next time you just ask me which line to pull

(in reply to Alistair)
Post #: 29
RE: Superman - 14/10/2010 5:09:53 PM   
The Hooded Man

Matthew Bomer. He's already played Superman in adverts for Toyota Prius on US telly.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Zack Snyder Directing Superman Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI