Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Repulsion

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Repulsion Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Repulsion - 31/10/2010 9:20:53 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I think we have different definitions of wonderful

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 121
RE: Repulsion - 31/10/2010 9:24:29 AM   
HughesRoss

Oh, I dont know....by looking at your AV, I see we do have some wonderful tastes.........

Our first ever HCF MOVIE AWARDS

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 122
RE: Repulsion - 31/10/2010 9:35:35 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

A fellow X-Phile! That's more than enough to outweigh any love for Repulsion

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 123
RE: Repulsion - 31/10/2010 9:51:59 AM   
HughesRoss

Funny thing, I have been watching the later seaons recently, with the arrival of Doggett........at the time I thought the show had lost its essence with the departure of Mulder, but now, they stand up quite all right........

(sorry Miles, must go back to horror!)

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

Post #: 124
RE: Repulsion - 31/10/2010 4:34:06 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Repulsion's awful, like most of Polanski's films.

I get this is a knee-jerk, I have lots of them, but perhaps in interest of the thread, you could elaborate?

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

Post #: 125
Dawn of the Dead (1978) - 31/10/2010 8:05:30 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

Dawn of the Dead (1978, Romero)
Simply awesome. Although it loses many things which made Night great, that is the utter claustrophobia and dread, it retains its horror status, provides more interesting social commentary (OK, so the basic satire of consumerism isn't that deep, but I find the four characters much more interesting than the people in Night), and adds great gore effects and a superb comic sensibility.
Yes, Night of the Living Dead is the better and bleaker horror film, but as a film, period, Dawn has the edge. Its length allows it to go off on wonderful tangents (the section after locking the mall and before the bikers has great, not forced character development and makes the viewer go through a gamut of emotions), and its bigger budget just makes it a more polished film, expanding on the original's themes, while adding pie fights and Hare Krishna zombies (OK, there's just one).
There's also some great action; it's surprising that the mix of genres works - one would think the humour would defuse the scary moments, but it doesn't. The bikers are of course much scarier than the zombies, which fits the themes of the film like a glove.
Basically, I've got nothing amazing to say about this. This is to Night of the Living Dead what Aliens is to Alien, and despite its slightly long run-time it didn't have me bored for a second.
PS. Oh yeah, I watched the US 130 mins cut. I wonder how this would be with more Goblin, even though what I heard here wasn't quite up with Deep Red and Suspiria, it was great.

< Message edited by Miles Messervy 007 -- 31/10/2010 8:07:31 PM >

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to Miles Messervy 007)
Post #: 126
RE: Dawn of the Dead (1978) - 31/10/2010 8:12:05 PM   
HughesRoss

Nice.........Dawn of the Dead IS a classic horror.....I love it, and its taken all these years for a Zomble filck to get close to what these two films achieved, (I am talking about REC and its splendid sequel).....

Are you going to watch the remake....its well known has being a fantastic redo.....and having surivied Night and Dawn, are you heading for the Day?....

Post #: 127
RE: Dawn of the Dead (1978) - 31/10/2010 8:16:33 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

I own the boxset, so yeah, Day is next. I expect good stuff. I have indeed heard the remake is unusually good for a remake, so I'll get around to it at some point. My next two zombie movies, however, are going to be Zombi 2 and Shaun of the Dead
BTW, if rawls sees this (or anyone else, I'm just pretty sure he has seen it as he has seen everything), is Blood for Dracula to be recommended to someone who hasn't seen anything by Morrissey?
PS. Rec looks interesting too, even though I had it spoiled.

< Message edited by Miles Messervy 007 -- 31/10/2010 8:17:18 PM >

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 128
RE: Dawn of the Dead (1978) - 31/10/2010 8:49:22 PM   
adambatman82

I spent the afternoon watching Day Of The Dead for the first time in years actually. Enjoyed it much more than the last time I watched it a couple of years ago. Dawn on the other hand is a perennial favourite of mine. I'd actually go as far as to say that its the greatest horror film of all time (ever so slightly ahead of Rosemary's Baby and The Exorcist).

Post #: 129
RE: Dawn of the Dead (1978) - 31/10/2010 8:51:39 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

I dunno about the greatest horror film ever, but it's the best film I watched for this countdown so far. On a re-watch it will probably enter my horror top 10.

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 130
RE: Dawn of the Dead (1978) - 31/10/2010 8:55:23 PM   
Rgirvan44

Day of the Dead still has the best make up effects of any zombie movie. The makeup was amazing, and the kills were spectcular but also you felt the pain of those killed - following tributes made similar scenes more goofy. But Day is disturbing in its violence. 

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 131
4 Flies on Grey Velvet - 1/11/2010 12:21:05 AM   
Miles Messervy 007

4 mosche di velluto grigio [4 Flies on Grey Velvet] (1971, Argento)
I complete the month of horror (though the thread will live on) with the final film of Argento's informal 'animal gialli' trilogy. Although the three films are pretty close in quality in my opinion, I would place this one bottom of all of Argento's films I have seen. This is not to say, however, that it is bad, far from it.
The camera movements are superb as usual, they make the viewer dizzy but always aware of what's going on. Morricone's score is far from his best work but it's Morricone, so it's still great. The acting is patchy but still much much better in the original language than dubbed.
Argento's Hitchcock influences are pretty clear here. We have the theme of the hero not being able to go to the police due to considering himself a suspect (though how could they find a body in the building if the murder was faked?), and the morbid humour (one of the stand-out scenes involves the hero's friend helping him with a plan at a coffin exhibition). We also have a split-screen, that cinematic trope so well used by another Hitchcock disciple. The psychoanalysis reminds of Psycho (weird, no?). The reveal of the murderer is far better than in Cat O'Nine Tails, but the motivation behind it seems even more contrived than in Argento's other films. I'm not quite sure why.
None of the murder sequences quite reach the heights of Deep Red and Suspiria, but both the anticipation and the shocks are executed very well. The ridiculousness of the plot means that the move to abstraction Argento would undertake later in his career is very welcome, if you're in it just for the atmosphere.
Altogether, the animal gialli are great examples of Argento's sense of humour and Hitchcock influences but as horror films, they are shadows of what's to come. Now that I finished his 70s horror output, I can't wait for the 80s stuff.

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 132
RE: Repulsion - 1/11/2010 2:20:05 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Hughes, I'm one of the few that loved the later X-Files season as much as the early year. My current rewatching is up to S3 so far and it's incredible to revisit the show.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

quote:

I get this is a knee-jerk, I have lots of them, but perhaps in interest of the thread, you could elaborate?

I can barely remember it, ut when I saw it in february I wrote this...

55. Repulsion (1st view, 1965, Roman Polanski) - 2/5*
My search for the great Roman Polanski continues. I'm beginning to doubt he's ever made one (and don't mention Chinatown. It sucks). This horror has some effective moments, especially with the use of sound, but it's pretty lame overall. And Catherine Deneuve was awful. Really, really bad. The film this reminded me most of all was Eraserhead, and that sucked too.

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 1/11/2010 2:21:32 AM >

Much more better!

Post #: 133
RE: Repulsion - 1/11/2010 8:05:55 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

Nah, most of Polanski's films are great!  Though I don't consider Chinatown to be one of his best.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

Post #: 134
RE: Dawn of the Dead (1978) - 1/11/2010 8:12:11 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

Dawn of the Dead (1978, Romero)
Simply awesome. Although it loses many things which made Night great, that is the utter claustrophobia and dread, it retains its horror status, provides more interesting social commentary (OK, so the basic satire of consumerism isn't that deep, but I find the four characters much more interesting than the people in Night), and adds great gore effects and a superb comic sensibility.
Yes, Night of the Living Dead is the better and bleaker horror film, but as a film, period, Dawn has the edge. Its length allows it to go off on wonderful tangents (the section after locking the mall and before the bikers has great, not forced character development and makes the viewer go through a gamut of emotions), and its bigger budget just makes it a more polished film, expanding on the original's themes, while adding pie fights and Hare Krishna zombies (OK, there's just one).
There's also some great action; it's surprising that the mix of genres works - one would think the humour would defuse the scary moments, but it doesn't. The bikers are of course much scarier than the zombies, which fits the themes of the film like a glove.
Basically, I've got nothing amazing to say about this. This is to Night of the Living Dead what Aliens is to Alien, and despite its slightly long run-time it didn't have me bored for a second.
PS. Oh yeah, I watched the US 130 mins cut. I wonder how this would be with more Goblin, even though what I heard here wasn't quite up with Deep Red and Suspiria, it was great.

Agree with everything you say  [don't often say that do I?] about Dawn, it is brilliant.  As for Four Flies, I prefer it slightly to Crystal Plumage.  You could paste your Argento writeups into the Argento thread [I mean you do seem to be enjoying these films unlike your first Fulci].

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

Post #: 135
RE: Dawn of the Dead (1978) - 1/11/2010 8:30:00 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

We agree on Leone and Argento, not much else , so glad we agree on Dawn (then again, how could you not like it?)
Alright, I will paste it over
I think Plumage is the best film out of the trilogy but in retrospect, the one I have least interest in re-watching as it was so successfully reworked as Deep Red while the other two are somewhat unique.

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 136
Back with a vengeance! - 10/2/2011 1:40:00 AM   
Miles Messervy 007

Black Swan (2010, Aronofsky)
As someone said about this: “subtlety is overrated”. All of Aronofsky’s films I’ve seen connect physical and emotional pain, but this is him at the height of his powers. I mean, all his films have great performances, but Portman floored me. It’s an obvious riff on Perfect Blue (which he already paid homage to in Requiem, of course), and dare I say it, a superior one. I mean, the underlying tension and lesbianism and freaky stuff are great until the last half hour, at which point the film goes into masterpiece mode, like a nightmarish The Red Shoes (+ Suspiria - the awesome colours?), and that’s high praise coming from me.

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

Post #: 137
RE: Back with a vengeance! - 10/2/2011 1:40:38 AM   
Miles Messervy 007

Short, awful review, to bump this to the top. Another incoming...

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

Post #: 138
Videodrome - 10/2/2011 1:58:15 AM   
Miles Messervy 007

Videodrome (1983, Cronenberg)
Unsettling body horror, though it doesn’t quite hit the mark. Although its tongue is placed firmly in its cheek, the attacks on television appear to be more random than truly bizarre, which takes away from the effect. The gore is superbly squirm-inducing, though.
Cronenberg takes the audience skilfully into the perverted underworld, and then makes them (us) enjoy it, which provides delightful reversal. Then again, probably not all people in the world find Debbie Harry in her prime to be drop-dead gorgeous as I do (I’m a huge Blondie fan, though this appears strangely irrelevant here). James Woods, of course, is a superb actor, and even though Max Renn is no Max Bercovicz by any measure, he does the slightly off-the-hinges person gone completely nuts spiel convincingly here.
Shore’s score deserves a special mention, contributing a large part towards the film’s aforementioned disturbingness. It’s at its most effective during the brilliant fatalistic ending of the film.
I wish this was going somewhere, though, despite the fact that the ending is great, as I said. Its style does not overshadow its content (I don’t really believe in that), but rather is a bit of a mismatch, as it distracts from whatever Cronenberg is trying to say here. And if he’s not trying to say anything, then the whole O’Blivion deal is just a needless drag.
Overall, I can’t really say this is a masterpiece, due to its slight incoherence, this is a memorable film, and certainly entices me to explore Cronenberg further, far more than A History of Violence did.

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

Post #: 139
RE: Videodrome - 10/2/2011 7:56:00 PM   
HughesRoss

Miles, like I promised:

Don't Look Now
Suspira
The Wicker Man
Burnt Offerings
The Fog ( but if you do not like this then please do not speak to me ever again!)
Martin
Theatre Of Blood
The Abominable Dr Phibes
Carrie
Halloween (which I suppose you have seen, if not WHY???)
Salem's Lot
White Zombie
I spit on your grave
Happy Birthday to Me
The Burning
Demons
Last House On The Left
Peeping Tom
Witchfinder General
The Haunting (the 1963 version)
Evil Dead
Cannibal Holocaust
Night if the Demon (1958)
The Innocents
Henry
Bay of Blood
                                       these are just a few on the top of my head, want more just ask

Post #: 140
RE: Videodrome - 10/2/2011 7:57:24 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: HughesRoss

The Fog ( but if you do not like this then please do not speak to me ever again!)

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 141
RE: Videodrome - 10/2/2011 11:13:47 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

quote:

Miles, like I promised:

Don't Look Now
Suspira
The Wicker Man
Burnt Offerings
Martin
Theatre Of Blood
The Abominable Dr Phibes
Carrie
Halloween (which I suppose you have seen, if not WHY???)
Salem's Lot
White Zombie
I spit on your grave
Happy Birthday to Me
The Burning
Demons
Last House On The Left
Peeping Tom
Witchfinder General
The Haunting (the 1963 version)
Evil Dead
Cannibal Holocaust
Night if the Demon (1958)
The Innocents
Henry
Bay of Blood
                                       these are just a few on the top of my head, want more just ask

Only seen Suspiria and Halloween, the former's brilliant, the latter good. Quite a lot to choose from, thanks!

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 142
RE: Videodrome - 11/2/2011 2:27:12 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

Remake > Original

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 143
Gremlins - 5/3/2011 2:30:45 AM   
Miles Messervy 007

Haven't watched anything resembling a horror film in a while, but here we go again:

Gremlins (1984, Dante)
***spoilers***
FUCKING LISTEN TO WHAT THE CHINESE MAN TELLS YOU
Things I liked: Phoebe Cates (especially in the scene with the gremlins in the bar and in the Xmas hate speech, also, she’s very pretty), Goldsmith’s score, the brutal ways in which the first evil gremlins are killed by the protagonists, the apocalyptic pool scene, Judge Reinhold, Dante’s love for movies (hai ho boom), the humour of the town attack (“I’m getting fed up with all this Orson Welles Crap ... Hey, you’re not a Rockin Ricky fan! EUGH!”), and the cute little gremlin.
Things I didn’t like: charisma void protagonist, Xmas, the fact that he just leaves the disgusting cocoons in the house, the boring “authorities don’t believe the danger” cliché, the old hag (even though she gets what’s coming to her, the whole small American town thing.
Kinda works as both horror and a comedy (and improves as it goes on, the first half hour is kinda boring), but not really that amazing. Promising as far Dante goes, though, being my first film of his and all.

< Message edited by Miles Messervy 007 -- 5/3/2011 2:32:24 AM >

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

Post #: 144
RE: Gremlins - 5/3/2011 8:38:14 AM   
matty_b

Glad you (mostly) liked this, Miles, even if you are underrating it badly.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 145
RE: Gremlins - 5/3/2011 10:44:59 AM   
Miles Messervy 007

Did you consider the possibility that nostalgia is making you overrate it?

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 146
RE: Gremlins - 5/3/2011 10:49:50 AM   
matty_b

Did you consider the possibility you're a dick and just wrong?

Seriously though, no, not at all. I can be quite unsympathetic to childhood films watched through adult eyes. I used to think Superman (the Donner version) and Superman 2 were the bee's knees - until I rewatched them both over the last couple of years and realised they're both pretty bad.

Gremlins, like Ghostbusters, Back to the Future and Die Hard is genuinely great and you are genuinely mistaken.

quote:

Post #: 147
RE: Gremlins - 5/3/2011 10:58:35 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Gremlins, like Ghostbusters, Back to the Future and Die Hard is genuinely great and you are genuinely mistaken.

Ghostbusters is crap!

Much more better!

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 148
RE: Gremlins - 5/3/2011 11:01:42 AM   
matty_b

And you too are genuinely mistaken.

quote:

Post #: 149
RE: Gremlins - 5/3/2011 11:08:59 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Did you consider the possibility you're a dick and just wrong?

This.

quote:

Gremlins, like Ghostbusters, Back to the Future is genuinely great and you are genuinely mistaken.

This too.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Repulsion Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI