Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Nosferatu the Vampyre

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Nosferatu the Vampyre Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Nosferatu the Vampyre - 8/10/2010 7:44:57 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

Shadow of the Vampire does sound fun, I'll watch it at some point, though probably not this month.

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

(in reply to Incanus)
Post #: 91
RE: Nosferatu the Vampyre - 8/10/2010 8:50:57 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht [Nosferatu the Vampyre] (1979, Herzog)
A far cry from Murnau's version, and it's a trade-off. Comparisons are inevitable, so spoilers for both films ahead.
I watched the original early this year, the day before an important exam which I miraculously got an A in, so I definitely didn't give it my full attention, and found it pretty boring. The positives I listed were the awesome tinting, Schreck's unrivalled creepiness, and the archaic feel of the whole thing which actually made me believe this could have been made in 1840s if they had film then. Herzog's remake loses all of these, but I preferred it (though it certainly made me want to re-visit the Murnau). It replaces the silent creepiness with an awesome atmospheric score, the tinting with gorgeous cinematography, and brings out the existential tones of the source material more clearly and elegantly. Kinski doesn't live up to Schreck, largely because he has to talk. Once again, this is a trade-off: in becoming a much more developed character, Dracula (or Orlok, whichever you prefer) ceases being the brilliant image of absolute evil. The supporting acting is a total step-up though: Adjani is beautiful and as always a bit mad (or viewed as such), and Ganz to my knowledge has never been bad in a film, that voice of his alone carrying a lot of this forward. Herzog's version is longer, but feels shorter, because silent movies tend to feel slower paced even when they aren't to me, I guess (just a question of adjustment). Unfortunately, it still drags a little in the middle. Herzog adds quite a bit of stuff, including the brilliant plague table, but I thought the way Murnau's film just implied what happened to Lucy was much better than the sequel's overt treatment of it. The very ending though is batshit crazy and utterly amazing.
I know I've already mentioned this, but the visuals are just gorgeous beyond belief, though I'm not going to unload a screenshot barrage. The landscapes and the interiors, the light and the darkness, everything is there.
As a horror film, Phantom der Nacht may actually work less well than the more simple Symphonie des Grauens. (There is one moment which I absolutely loved though Ė Dracula's first visit of Lucy.) It is, however, wholly deserving of its acclaim. At its best it's an intangible, existential piece of celluloid brilliance, and at its worst it's still not bad at all.
PS. With all the changes mentioned, it's a bit weird that Herzog claimed the original was the best German film ever, if I was a director, I wouldn't dare to change that much about a film I believed to be that brilliant. But then again, I'm not a director...

Nice review. I was really bored with this film the first time I saw it, but with repeated viewings I grew to love it.  I adore the trance-like feeling it gives you, and visually it's just incredible. I too prefer it to the Murnau film, as interesting as it is.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Miles Messervy 007)
Post #: 92
RE: Nosferatu the Vampyre - 8/10/2010 9:33:56 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

I can definitely understand being bored by it and I was finding it hard to concentrate at the start, then I decided to concentrate since I had to review it and I was really impressed
Tonight I will probably watch a non-horror, but we'll see.

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 93
RE: Nosferatu the Vampyre - 8/10/2010 9:38:17 PM   
HughesRoss

quote:

Tonight I will probably watch a non-horror, but we'll see.

Not good enough...if you going to commit to the cause, then you must watch one....I am currently watching the most diresome shitfest of horror you could think of...

Our first ever HCF MOVIE AWARDS

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

Post #: 94
RE: Nosferatu the Vampyre - 8/10/2010 9:40:00 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

Oh, come on, I've seen 2 in the last 3 days plus a non-horror film by a prominent horror director right before that

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 95
RE: Nosferatu the Vampyre - 8/10/2010 9:49:50 PM   
HughesRoss

You doing fine, but I am waiting for the real scary shit to start!

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

Post #: 96
RE: Nosferatu the Vampyre - 8/10/2010 9:52:42 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

Like what?

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 97
RE: Nosferatu the Vampyre - 8/10/2010 10:05:55 PM   
HughesRoss

That is a hard question!  Its all according what you are prepared to watch?  I know Serbina film is way out of the question, (I don't blame you), so I am thinking some sick gore fest from Bava and Argento....maybe also the likes of Hellraiser, shit, I could go on

Or the really scary shit that has no gore, like The Changeling, Ringu, Henry, Psycho (original-which still has the power to stun all newcomers, and its sequel is friggin great!) again I could go on

I mean its your thread, so its unfair for me to advise what you should watch.....I am hoping to see Ginger Snaps on here though if that is possibe.  I am probably one of only few horror fans who rate it so highly, for me the greatest Werewolf film of all time! and I would love your honest judgement!

Post #: 98
RE: Nosferatu the Vampyre - 8/10/2010 10:09:44 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

I am an Argento fan so there will definitely be some sort of sighting this month. Bava is 2/3 for me so far so probably him as well. I've already seen Psycho, obviously, though it might be time for a re-watch quite soon.
Ringu is on lovefilm online, so we'll see about that. I've heard very good thing about Ginger Snaps so it's definitely on my radar as well.
Don't worry about this being my thread, suggestions are very welcome.

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 99
RE: Miles' Horror Thread - 9/10/2010 12:24:32 AM   
Rebenectomy

quote:

ORIGINAL: tftrman

Crash isn't a horror so, yeah, replace it with Dead Ringers.

Just watched Dead Ringers after seeing it mentioned here. It's not a horror either.

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 100
RE: Nosferatu the Vampyre - 9/10/2010 12:39:40 AM   
hellsangel66

quote:

ORIGINAL: HughesRoss

That is a hard question!  Its all according what you are prepared to watch?  I know Serbina film is way out of the question, (I don't blame you), so I am thinking some sick gore fest from Bava and Argento....maybe also the likes of Hellraiser, shit, I could go on

Or the really scary shit that has no gore, like The Changeling, Ringu, Henry, Psycho (original-which still has the power to stun all newcomers, and its sequel is friggin great!) again I could go on

I mean its your thread, so its unfair for me to advise what you should watch.....I am hoping to see Ginger Snaps on here though if that is possibe.  I am probably one of only few horror fans who rate it so highly, for me the greatest Werewolf film of all time! and I would love your honest judgement!

Loved Ginger Snaps!!!!!!! For me it's right up there with American Werewolf in London as the best werewolf movie of all time.  Yes I know American werewolf is comedic, but still has the greatest  transformation ever.  Am hoping to see the sequel to Ginger Snaps at some point....

< Message edited by hellsangel66 -- 9/10/2010 12:43:43 AM >

I am extraordinary. I am your ordinary everyday psycho sane supergoddess

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 101
RE: Nosferatu the Vampyre - 14/10/2010 11:24:45 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

The Toolbox Murders (1978, Donnelly)
Since the first two films for this thread were established horror classics, or thereabouts, I decided to watch something out of left field this time, and this cropped up.
The first half-hour seems like pretty standard slasher stuff but is actually quite beautifully executed: mysterious, trashy, sex-fueled, distinctive because of the titular murder weapons. The quiet, passive desperation that follows provides a nice contrast but never lives up to the promise. Great music, unusually. The film's unremarkable visually compared to some stuff I've been watching so far but I still took some nice screenshots.
The acting is mostly understated; the bumbling detective is probably the stand-out, apart from the killer (who was apparently also the lead in Blood and Black Lace which I really wanna see). I didn't find the script awful though it was a bit repetitive. I know that the lack of twists may bore, but the laziness kinda pays off because it made the film stand apart a bit.
I think it's interesting how it pretends to be a true story when it's not, that's a decent conclusion to a pretty great ending. The only part of the film which I didn't like was the 3rd quarter, where the cousin did some really bizarre things though that scene in the toolshed is pretty well done.
On the whole, unremarkable but has a few nice moments. Really don't get the hate though the film disappoints a bit once you get past a certain point.

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to hellsangel66)
Post #: 102
The Toolbox Murders - 14/10/2010 11:30:38 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

After this worthless interlude, I will continue with Repulsion, Lizard, and probably Dawn this weekend/next week.

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

Post #: 103
RE: Nosferatu the Vampyre - 15/10/2010 8:26:19 AM   
HughesRoss

quote:

The Toolbox Murders (1978, Donnelly)
Since the first two films for this thread were established horror classics, or thereabouts, I decided to watch something out of left field this time, and this cropped up.
The first half-hour seems like pretty standard slasher stuff but is actually quite beautifully executed: mysterious, trashy, sex-fueled, distinctive because of the titular murder weapons. The quiet, passive desperation that follows provides a nice contrast but never lives up to the promise. Great music, unusually. The film's unremarkable visually compared to some stuff I've been watching so far but I still took some nice screenshots.
The acting is mostly understated; the bumbling detective is probably the stand-out, apart from the killer (who was apparently also the lead in Blood and Black Lace which I really wanna see). I didn't find the script awful though it was a bit repetitive. I know that the lack of twists may bore, but the laziness kinda pays off because it made the film stand apart a bit.
I think it's interesting how it pretends to be a true story when it's not, that's a decent conclusion to a pretty great ending. The only part of the film which I didn't like was the 3rd quarter, where the cousin did some really bizarre things though that scene in the toolshed is pretty well done.
On the whole, unremarkable but has a few nice moments. Really don't get the hate though the film disappoints a bit once you get past a certain point.

I really don't mind this, it has its fans (not many) but compare it to the remake by Tobe Hooper, its a work of genius

Post #: 104
RE: Nosferatu the Vampyre - 15/10/2010 8:33:28 AM   
Miles Messervy 007

I'm sleepy so which one of these films is genius in comparison to the other?

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 105
RE: Nosferatu the Vampyre - 15/10/2010 8:48:23 AM   
HughesRoss

The original!.......the sequel is dire.....really awful, especially from the hands that gave us Texas Chainsaw!

Post #: 106
RE: Nosferatu the Vampyre - 15/10/2010 9:25:44 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I can't remember if I've seen the original but I quite like the 2004 film.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 107
Lizard in a Woman's Skin - 19/10/2010 11:09:17 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

Una lucertola con la pelle di donna [Lizard in a Womanís Skin] (1971, Fulci)
Disappointing. I watched it in three sittings, which is of course not the optimal way to watch a film, but on the other hand is the testament of how I valued sleep over continuing the film twice.
There are several reasons for this, but letís start with the positives. First of all, one of the main attractions to me was the Morricone score (even though he has scored 100s of movies, my favourite composerís name on the credits always means at least one thing will be satisfying), and it didnít disappoint Ė creepy and atmospheric. The visuals are also distinctive with some really nice camera movements, zoom-ins, zoom-outs, dissolves, pull-outs, you name it. The more abstract hallucinatory bits of the film are also great.
However, and I know this sounds stupid as gialli, and horror in general, are usually not very concerned with plot, the plot of this film brings it down. Some might find the endless twists ironic, I found most of them moronic, particularly the last one, as it is delivered out of nowhere and seems like a tool to resolve the film rather than a logical continuation of what happened before. Also, the atmosphere, instead of being ramped up, actually died out, which made the film a slog to get through as the film went on. The lead doesnít have enough in her to sustain my interest in the over-long chase (though this has some nice camerawork, and contains the image above which I like as a visual representation of extreme fear without a need for a hokey ďafraid faceĒ close-up), and the two interesting characters get killed off (and are the only murders in the film).
Also, the filmís depiction of the hippy scene is a mostly unfunny parody. Another thing that worked against the film though not its fault was the dubbing. There was an added scene which was subbed and even though the film takes place in London it would have made it more interesting. Still, I was underwhelmed by my first Bava, too, so Iíll definitely give Fulci another chance.

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

Post #: 108
RE: Lizard in a Woman's Skin - 20/10/2010 12:27:53 PM   
Dr Lenera

You should post that review in the Fulci thread mate, I liked the film rather more than you, and reviewed it myself on there way way back [though I've slightly improved it since I think], as I think did Evil Bill, but it is good to have differing opinions!

Most folks start with his popular zombie films like The Beyond or Zombie and then move on to the more obscure stuff.  Still, I find Lizard, apart from having one or two more scenes of the cops talking then it needed to [and it is rather slow, something that is true of many of his films], very interesting, with terrific hallucinations sequences and an interesting low key ending.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

Post #: 109
RE: Lizard in a Woman's Skin - 20/10/2010 5:06:24 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

I don't want to rain on the parade by posting a negative review in the Fulci fan thread.
I normally prefer gialli to supernatural horror so went for this except for the zombie films although from the description they sound pretty awesome. I might watch The Beyond or something from him next.
The main selling point of Lizard are indeed those hallucinations sequences, but the way the ending says they never happened just made it a disappointing anti-climax instead of the low key ending Fulci was going for.

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 110
Perfect Blue - 28/10/2010 5:55:41 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

Perfect Blue (1998, Kon)
I guess this is a borderline horror, but Iím including it anyway.
The opening had me a bit sceptical but it surprised me later on. This is a film firmly rooted in its time. Amongst other things, itís about change in life, and the beginning of the Internet era not only suits its stalker plot perfectly but also gives the whole thing an interesting context.
The nudity and blood are probably quite radical in themselves (or maybe Iíve been watching the wrong animes), but the film fucks with the viewersí minds far beyond that. I admit its endless ďit was a dream! Or was it?!Ē sequences in the second half may seem repetitive and annoying, but I think it just serves as a confusion tool and is perfectly apt (now the final twist Iím less happy about).
Comparisons with Lynch are deserved, this is well on par with (interestingly, released much later) Mulholland Drive. Though I admit it lacks that filmís daze-like complexity, itís about twice shorter so I can hardly blame it for that. The cloying nature of the pop idol stuff only adds to the subversion.
The ending, once I got used to the ridiculous twist, was genuinely thrilling. I didnít expect to find myself caring for the main character, but I did. The killer, too, despite being a caricature, was pretty scary.
In short, I probably liked this more than I should, but itís dynamic, exciting, and actually quite intelligent, not bad at all for a debut feature. RIP, needless to say.

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

Post #: 111
RE: Miles' Horror Thread - 28/10/2010 7:22:38 PM   
HughesRoss

Wow....you showing some serious good taste watching that!  I remember years ago, back in the day of my cherished flat when the lads used to come over and we watched a few horrors with a few cans.  My mate came over with that film and while we were amused at first, during the watch there was stunned silence.  I have not seen this for over 10 years, maybe since the year it was released and to be honest had forgotten about it.....I do remember loving it though, and bragged about it for months.......

I can not possibly comment on your review because I can not remember anything about it, but fair play for pulling this onto your thread.....may buy this tonight if I can.......

Post #: 112
RE: Miles' Horror Thread - 28/10/2010 7:27:41 PM   
elab49

I can't say I've ever thought of Perfect Blue being a horror. It's an interesting comparison to Mulholland Drive, though, although I think the Kon is far more interestingly complex myself. I think there also remains a significant problem with the rape, which colours my view of the film generally. Listing Kon's work, I'd tend to have Perfect Blue at the end - I think the other features are superior.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 113
RE: Miles' Horror Thread - 28/10/2010 7:32:28 PM   
HughesRoss

I never considered it an horror myself, maybe that is why its not in my collection, but has I said, I have not seen it for years, so is it has Miles said ......borderline horror?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 114
RE: Miles' Horror Thread - 28/10/2010 7:33:27 PM   
elab49

I genuinely wouldn't have thought so myself. Perhaps others would disagree though.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 115
RE: Miles' Horror Thread - 28/10/2010 7:36:33 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

I said it's borderline horror, but it's definitely part-horror, and that's enough for this thread. Mulholland is actually more ambiguous there, though the man behind the diner again would qualify it as well as the ending.
Some of Kon's work looks better than this, I'm definitely interested in Tokyo Godfathers and Paprika.

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 116
RE: Miles' Horror Thread - 28/10/2010 7:44:43 PM   
HughesRoss

To show my lame taste and the fact I only watch horrors mostly, Perfect Blue is the only film I have seen of Kon's............

< Message edited by HughesRoss -- 28/10/2010 7:56:37 PM >

Post #: 117
Repulsion - 30/10/2010 5:09:26 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

***spoilers***

Repulsion (1965, Polański)
Not quite what I expected, but Iím not disappointed. It seems shoddy in places and about mid-way through I thought to myself that it would be a chore to finish, but it got to me.
It all starts off pretty innocent. We establish that Deneuveís character is a little girl in a womanís body in a number of ways. We get a slice of 60ís London. Everything is a little odd but still normal. And then the creepiness starts to build up. Deneuve is excellent of course, doing so much with so little dialogue. The music and the cinematography are crude in a way but extremely effective.
This could be seen as a sort of inverted Psycho, weíre forced to adopt the point of view of an extremely disturbed character and become unwitting participants in the murders (the only down-side of the film is that the male characters all seem to be cut from the same. The psychological content here, however, isnít spoon-fed to the audience but rather implied, until that brilliant final shot. So thereís room for interpretation, but what this is best at is making the audience scared of the cracks.
Not as brilliant as Chinatown, and not altogether personally appealing to me, but a great film nonetheless.

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

Post #: 118
RE: Repulsion - 31/10/2010 1:48:19 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Repulsion's awful, like most of Polanski's films.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

Post #: 119
RE: Repulsion - 31/10/2010 8:57:56 AM   
HughesRoss

Repulsion was made way back in 1965 on a low budget, and for that, does wonderfully well to create what is a still perfect haunting atmosphere.  It really is a film that has influenced many after it, and Deneuve is simply wonderful in through out......

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Nosferatu the Vampyre Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI