Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Night of the Living Dead

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Night of the Living Dead Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Night of the Living Dead - 6/10/2010 12:37:43 AM   
Miles Messervy 007

A film with vampires is likely to be a horror but it could use vampirism as a metaphor for something rather than a tool for dread.
I need to see some Rollin, maybe not that one though...

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 61
RE: Night of the Living Dead - 6/10/2010 12:42:09 AM   
hiptobesquare_x

Folies Anales?

"I hate coconut. Not the flavour, but the consistency."

(in reply to Miles Messervy 007)
Post #: 62
RE: Night of the Living Dead - 6/10/2010 12:42:51 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: hiptobesquare_x

I've always had a penchant for lake-dwelling fascist zombies. It's broadened my horizons no end...

So not like Miles who only wants to watch Rollin for the lesbian vamps then?

quote:

A film with vampires is likely to be a horror but it could use vampirism as a metaphor for something rather than a tool for dread.

But even if it uses it as a metaphor it can still count (Something like The Addiction certainly does) don't forget, what scares someone is one of the most unique things imaginable. You may not find something frightening but that doesn't mean it's not part of the horror genre.  Horror itself is a spin-off from the fantasy genre, so the fantastical edge is always going to be important.

(in reply to hiptobesquare_x)
Post #: 63
RE: Night of the Living Dead - 6/10/2010 12:46:09 AM   
hiptobesquare_x

quote:

So not like Miles who only wants to watch Rollin for the lesbian vamps then?

I think I took the wrong direction with my other recommendation in that case...

Admittedly, I've never seen any other Rollin, I just went through an undead phase and found it to be the greatest concept for a film I think I've ever heard. It somehow surpassed my expectations, but all his other film titles terrify me.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 64
RE: Night of the Living Dead - 6/10/2010 12:47:45 AM   
rawlinson

Try The Grapes of Death.

Post #: 65
RE: Night of the Living Dead - 6/10/2010 12:51:57 AM   
hiptobesquare_x

Now that's a good title, I'm ordering it along with the Grapes of Wrath (uni...), I shall have a grape themed evening, with few grapes I imagine. Cheers Rawls.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 66
RE: Night of the Living Dead - 6/10/2010 1:01:13 AM   
rawlinson

Grapes of Wrath novel > Film

Post #: 67
RE: Night of the Living Dead - 6/10/2010 3:43:09 AM   
Incanus

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

A film the chief objective of which is to scare/unsettle the viewer. Or something.

Or induce feelings of dread, or indeed horror. Which covers a wide variety of subjects. And when vampirism is one of those subjects, and it's not about sparkly ones with AWESOME hair, then it's horror.

I'm afraid you're wrong, rawls, which is strange in a thread by Miles, for as we are well aware of, no-one can surpass Miles in being wrong, but in this case you seem to be doing your best to compete with him head to head in the field event of wrongness. These films "Whose Titles I Will Not Name Here" featuring thespians with sparkly complexion and dreamy, AWESOME hair, now they are true horror! Consider the horrible damage these films have inflicted on the poor, innocent, unsuspecting youths all over the world, their taste in cinema ruined for all eternity (well, not eternity, just as long as their now pointless lives will last anyway).

WINTER IS COMING

T h e 2 4 t h F r a m e . c o . u k

Cuiva Olorin
Narendur.
Tira nottolya
Tulta tuolya.
An mauya mahtie
Ter oiomornie
Ter ondicilyar
Mettanna.
Nurunna!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 68
RE: Night of the Living Dead - 6/10/2010 5:26:22 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Night Of The Living Dead is fantastic. Easily Romero's best Zombie film.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Incanus)
Post #: 69
RE: Night of the Living Dead - 6/10/2010 7:08:38 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

Surely the civil rights allegory deserves mention?

Or, for that matter, the fairly obvious and potent critique of patriarchal power bases. "People are dumb and can't work together" really is the least interesting of the themes in the film.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 70
RE: Night of the Living Dead - 6/10/2010 8:20:36 AM   
Miles Messervy 007

quote:

quote:

Or, for that matter, the fairly obvious and potent critique of patriarchal power bases.

Elaborate.

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 71
RE: Night of the Living Dead - 6/10/2010 8:45:36 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

quote:

quote:

Or, for that matter, the fairly obvious and potent critique of patriarchal power bases.

Elaborate.

While Barbara poses an interesting anomaly in this regard, because she's portrayed as helpless, throughout the film we see male figures asserting dominance and authority against each other - they're selfish, uncooperative, slow on the uptake, quick to suspect their male cohorts of not supporting 'the group', violent, unpleasant, brash and dismissive of the women. Despite the fact that both Helen and (to a lesser extent) Judy seem to be level-headed and more willing to support each other than the men, they're consistently ignored by two guys in a dick-measuring contest and a third who has no idea what he's doing. That it all ends in disaster is but a testament to their failures as leaders and as people.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

Post #: 72
RE: Night of the Living Dead - 6/10/2010 8:47:51 AM   
Miles Messervy 007

Tom may have no idea of what he's doing, but he's hardly violent and all those other things. Good point though.

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

Post #: 73
RE: Night of the Living Dead - 6/10/2010 11:51:35 AM   
Rhubarb

Yeah NOTLD is my favourite Romero, its utterly brilliant.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

Post #: 74
RE: Night of the Living Dead - 6/10/2010 12:07:35 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Elaborate.

While Barbara poses an interesting anomaly in this regard, because she's portrayed as helpless, throughout the film we see male figures asserting dominance and authority against each other - they're selfish, uncooperative, slow on the uptake, quick to suspect their male cohorts of not supporting 'the group', violent, unpleasant, brash and dismissive of the women. Despite the fact that both Helen and (to a lesser extent) Judy seem to be level-headed and more willing to support each other than the men, they're consistently ignored by two guys in a dick-measuring contest and a third who has no idea what he's doing. That it all ends in disaster is but a testament to their failures as leaders and as people.

And underpinning all of this is the irony that Harry, who we are meant to dislike, was pretty much correct about boarding themselves up in the basement in the first place.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 75
RE: Night of the Living Dead - 6/10/2010 12:14:59 PM   
elab49

I'd ditto it as the best Romero - but it has little competition in that regard IMO.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 76
RE: Night of the Living Dead - 6/10/2010 12:17:05 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I'd ditto it as the best Romero - but it has little competition in that regard IMO.

Have you seen any of his non-zombie movies? Martin is pretty great, as is Creepshow.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 77
RE: Night of the Living Dead - 6/10/2010 12:24:32 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

You people are all crazy, Dawn of the Dead is heaps better. More overt in its themes, but it has a pie fight that immediately pushes it above NotLD.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 78
RE: Night of the Living Dead - 6/10/2010 12:33:24 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

You people are all crazy, Dawn of the Dead is heaps better. More overt in its themes, but it has a pie fight that immediately pushes it above NotLD.

Oh, I agree, Dawn is his masterpiece.

Post #: 79
RE: Night of the Living Dead - 6/10/2010 4:44:38 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Incanus

I'm afraid you're wrong, rawls, which is strange in a thread by Miles, for as we are well aware of, no-one can surpass Miles in being wrong, but in this case you seem to be doing your best to compete with him head to head in the field event of wrongness. These films "Whose Titles I Will Not Name Here" featuring thespians with sparkly complexion and dreamy, AWESOME hair, now they are true horror! Consider the horrible damage these films have inflicted on the poor, innocent, unsuspecting youths all over the world, their taste in cinema ruined for all eternity (well, not eternity, just as long as their now pointless lives will last anyway).

Point taken

(in reply to Incanus)
Post #: 80
RE: Night of the Living Dead - 6/10/2010 10:18:31 PM   
HughesRoss

Nice review of Night there....I do prefer the original to Dawn, but saying that, the sequel is still a damn good horror!.....and I say that with the remake has well....the only redo in recent times that does not insult the fans, and actually enhances the film in many ways, without losing the awe of what made it so great!

As for Let The Right One In, then yes you should.  It is a wonderful dark fairy tale that is horror, but might be great for you as it is not too horror......Shark Attack 3 I can suggest better if you want me too......

Thirst is really dark...quite heavy for newcomers to the genre, and I would love to see what you think of it!

Please tell me you have Halloween (the original) on the list! and if not then please tell me that its because you have seen it!....

Our first ever HCF MOVIE AWARDS

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

Post #: 81
RE: Night of the Living Dead - 6/10/2010 10:38:36 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

I watched Halloween when it was nominated for the HOF even though I wasn't in that round. I thought the acting and the script and the plot were average but the direction/score excellent. I gave it a high 7.
Shark Attack 3 was just put in to make sure people are paying attention , though I definitely want to see it at some stage.
Alright, I'll finally watch Let the Right One In, I suppose I should have a long time ago... Thirst I also want to see as it's so divisive, I might have a Park mini-marathon as I've only seen 1 film of his but most if not all of them are on lovefilm online...
And I have high hopes for Dawn and as I have the Dead boxset I'll definitely review that as well. Thanks for the compliment on my review.
I know I promised a review tonight but I watched Back to the Future in the cinema today and couldn't muster up the energy for another film. Tomorrow.

< Message edited by Miles Messervy 007 -- 6/10/2010 10:39:56 PM >

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 82
RE: Night of the Living Dead - 7/10/2010 4:56:32 PM   
HughesRoss

As you know...Halloween is my FAV horror so, its a 10 for me.....

Just finished work expecting a review...and nothing........you know Miles, I am quite envious that you'll be watching horrors for the first time!

How was Back To The Future in the cinema......I am showing my age when I tell you I remember going on its first ever release....

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

Post #: 83
RE: Night of the Living Dead - 7/10/2010 5:19:36 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

Yeah, I know, and I'm sorry. I nearly loved The Thing though if it helps.
No review yet, the night-time is horror-watching time. And yeah, re-watches can be great, necessary even, but there's something that goes with watching a great film for the first time which can't be described.
I'll write up a short BTTF review for the 100 thread, but it was great. I wish I could have seen it on the original release...

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 84
Nosferatu the Vampyre - 7/10/2010 11:00:41 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht [Nosferatu the Vampyre] (1979, Herzog)
A far cry from Murnauís version, and itís a trade-off. Comparisons are inevitable, so spoilers for both films ahead.
I watched the original early this year, the day before an important exam which I miraculously got an A in, so I definitely didnít give it my full attention, and found it pretty boring. The positives I listed were the awesome tinting, Schreckís unrivalled creepiness, and the archaic feel of the whole thing which actually made me believe this could have been made in 1840s if they had film then. Herzogís remake loses all of these, but I preferred it (though it certainly made me want to re-visit the Murnau). It replaces the silent creepiness with an awesome atmospheric score, the tinting with gorgeous cinematography, and brings out the existential tones of the source material more clearly and elegantly. Kinski doesnít live up to Schreck, largely because he has to talk. Once again, this is a trade-off: in becoming a much more developed character, Dracula (or Orlok, whichever you prefer) ceases being the brilliant image of absolute evil. The supporting acting is a total step-up though: Adjani is beautiful and as always a bit mad (or viewed as such), and Ganz to my knowledge has never been bad in a film, that voice of his alone carrying a lot of this forward. Herzogís version is longer, but feels shorter, because silent movies tend to feel slower paced even when they arenít to me, I guess (just a question of adjustment). Unfortunately, it still drags a little in the middle. Herzog adds quite a bit of stuff, including the brilliant plague table, but I thought the way Murnauís film just implied what happened to Lucy was much better than the sequelís overt treatment of it. The very ending though is batshit crazy and utterly amazing.
I know Iíve already mentioned this, but the visuals are just gorgeous beyond belief, though Iím not going to unload a screenshot barrage. The landscapes and the interiors, the light and the darkness, everything is there.
As a horror film, Phantom der Nacht may actually work less well than the more simple Symphonie des Grauens. (There is one moment which I absolutely loved though Ė Draculaís first visit of Lucy.) It is, however, wholly deserving of its acclaim. At its best itís an intangible, existential piece of celluloid brilliance, and at its worst itís still not bad at all.
PS. With all the changes mentioned, itís a bit weird that Herzog claimed the original was the best German film ever, if I was a director, I wouldnít dare to change that much about a film I believed to be that brilliant. But then again, Iím not a director...

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

Post #: 85
RE: Nosferatu the Vampyre - 7/10/2010 11:19:06 PM   
Incanus

Oh but an artist has to change stuff, it's only natural, and it fits with each individual artist's approach to the myth or subject in question. It's not an imperative, it just happens.

For example, I've told you about the use of open and closed form in art, I'll not bother to repeat that here; you'll see, if you consider it, that it helps explain certain aspects pertaining to where both form and content seem to be developing towards.

I really liked your review.

WINTER IS COMING

Cuiva Olorin
Narendur.
Tira nottolya
Tulta tuolya.
An mauya mahtie
Ter oiomornie
Ter ondicilyar
Mettanna.
Nurunna!

Post #: 86
RE: Nosferatu the Vampyre - 7/10/2010 11:38:04 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

I'm not condemning Herzog's changes, I prefer his updated version, notice that in the PS I say that I'd feel weird deviating from something I love. What's interesting is that this is a totally successful remake, from silent to sound. Kinda puts the Metropolis thread in context, no?
Thanks for the compliment

quote:

jamesbondguy:

quote:

Deviation:

(in reply to Incanus)
Post #: 87
RE: Nosferatu the Vampyre - 8/10/2010 5:14:58 PM   
HughesRoss

There are only a few remakes of horror that I rate, the one that I detest the most is Psycho........but Nosferatu is one of the best out there.....great review and if you haven't already I suggest you check out Shadow Of The Vamprie...which is a decent spin on this very film!  

Post #: 88
RE: Nosferatu the Vampyre - 8/10/2010 5:59:44 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: HughesRoss
Shadow Of The Vamprie...which is a decent spin on this very film!  

I love Shadow of the Vampire.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 89
RE: Nosferatu the Vampyre - 8/10/2010 7:32:04 PM   
Incanus

quote:

I'm not condemning Herzog's changes, I prefer his updated version, notice that in the PS I say that I'd feel weird deviating from something I love. What's interesting is that this is a totally successful remake, from silent to sound. Kinda puts the Metropolis thread in context, no?
Thanks for the compliment

No.

WINTER IS COMING

Cuiva Olorin
Narendur.
Tira nottolya
Tulta tuolya.
An mauya mahtie
Ter oiomornie
Ter ondicilyar
Mettanna.
Nurunna!

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Night of the Living Dead Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI