Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Chris Ryan's Strike Back - Sky One

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Chris Ryan's Strike Back - Sky One Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Chris Ryan's Strike Back - Sky One - 29/9/2010 10:27:39 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

I've just finished watching the repeat run of this on Sky and came on here to air my feelings and was shocked to find the search function turn up nothing! I thought this was fantastic! I can't have been the only one to watch it. I'm not sure when it aired originally, I think it was earlier this year but it looks like the green light has been given to a second run that's been extended to ten parts instead of six.

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE
Post #: 1
RE: Chris Ryan's Strike Back - Sky One - 30/9/2010 12:36:48 AM   
Blunderbuss

I caught it when it originally aired Uncle and thought it wasn't bad.  Fell somewhere between Spooks and Ultimate Force in terms of tone.  My only issue (and its a biggie) was the casting of Richard Armitage, who's just can't convince as a former-SAS man.  Someone less 'pretty' in the lead role would have been preferable.

"oh you don't want to shoot him. You'll just make him mad"

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 2
RE: Chris Ryan's Strike Back - Sky One - 30/9/2010 3:55:17 AM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blunderbuss

Fell somewhere between Spooks and Ultimate Force in terms of tone.

This can only be a good thing for Snake-Eyes! Any word of a dvd release?

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to Blunderbuss)
Post #: 3
RE: Chris Ryan's Strike Back - Sky One - 30/9/2010 7:23:10 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

8.95 from Amazon - Clicky!

Blu-Ray is only 9.93 if you've got a Blu-Ray player.

It's well worth 10

quote:

I caught it when it originally aired Uncle and thought it wasn't bad. Fell somewhere between Spooks and Ultimate Force in terms of tone. My only issue (and its a biggie) was the casting of Richard Armitage, who's just can't convince as a former-SAS man. Someone less 'pretty' in the lead role would have been preferable.

Really? I thought he was believable enough, I was more concerned with Andrew Lincolns casting more than Armitages. I haven't read the books though so I'm not sure if they got it spot on or not. Still, I thought it was really entertaining and it surprised me as I wasn't really expecting much from it.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 4
Chris Ryan's Strike Back - 30/9/2010 7:38:44 AM   
Snake-Eyes

Cheers Uncle - I'll snare me the blu-ray

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

Post #: 5
RE: Chris Ryan's Strike Back - 16/8/2011 12:57:39 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

The second series starts on Sunday with pretty much a whole new cast

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 6
RE: Chris Ryan's Strike Back - 16/8/2011 1:45:01 PM   
kumar

Never watched the original series but I have been seeing promos left right and centre for Strike Back. I was just about to start a thread to see if anyone was going to watch it after getting a dose of Gods of the Arena. Ill be giving this one a watch.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

Post #: 7
RE: Chris Ryan's Strike Back - 16/8/2011 1:46:21 PM   
Timon

I know Camelot's Philip Winchester is in it because I met him at Empire Big Screen. The man is far too good looking for his own good. It made me angry how good looking he was.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 8
RE: Chris Ryan's Strike Back - 16/8/2011 2:17:03 PM   
DJ Rob C: Mark II!

Hadn't known much about this, and though it only looks alright my interest has been piqued by the panel at Big Screen

When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die

Third Highest Post Count on the Forum, sad but proud!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 9
RE: Chris Ryan's Strike Back - 16/8/2011 2:22:30 PM   
Spaldron

I think I've read the book, although I can't be certain as all Chris Ryan, ahem, "novels" are more or less identical.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to DJ Rob C: Mark II!)
Post #: 10
RE: Chris Ryan's Strike Back - 24/8/2011 11:21:07 PM   
kumar

What did anyone think of episode one then? Im not made up on it at the moment and I thought the hotel setting came across as bad taste. Didnt really need the sex scenes either.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 11
RE: Chris Ryan's Strike Back - 26/8/2011 9:18:11 AM   
Blunderbuss

Not a bad first episode. Shows some promise. Thought they handled the loss of Richard Armitage as their leading man well. Good on him to come back for a few scenes just to round things off. Far more impact that if we'd simply heard about his fate.

The rest wasn't bad. Decent mix of Spooks-style espionage, reasonably plausible action and trashy stuff. Doesn't pull its punches either. Will stick with it to see where it goes.

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 12
RE: Chris Ryan's Strike Back - 30/8/2011 12:55:56 PM   
Blunderbuss

****SPOILERS****

A lower key second ep for Strike Back S2. I'm still quite impressed with the show, which definitely works better as an ensemble-piece than a Richard Armitage vehicle. Its still cliched nonsense but its well done cliched nonsense and it does manage to spring a few surprises. I thought after ep 1 that Porter sending a coded message that only a random Yank could decipher was a somewhat inexplicable. At the time I thought it was just a lazily plotted justification for dragging in the American, wild-card character, so I was surprised when they addressed the issue head-on and it turned out to make some logical sense after all. The revelation about Latif also came as a nice twist and its good to see Section 20 screw up big time after seemingly saving the day during the hotel seige; developments like that keep you off guard.

On the down-side the 'catch the shell' moment was a wee bit cheesy, as was the deus ex-machina 'terrorist has a change of heart at the the last minute' get-out. I could also do without the affair between the two Section 20 officers, which smacks of unecessary soapy plotting.

Next week has Liam Cunningham in it, which means that it will automatically be 27% better. Also more sex & nudity after a comparatively tame ep this week, if you like that sort of thing .

Post #: 13
RE: Chris Ryan's Strike Back - 30/8/2011 6:21:03 PM   
Captain Black

I've seen the third episode. Total Ronseal TV - if you want a bit of military/special forces stuff, some shooting, some tits, and some fighting, then it ticks all the boxes very efficiently albeit without much (on the basis of this episode anyway) imagination. I'll probably give it a few more episodes to see if it wins me over but although the main actors are all trying pretty hard I didn't find any of them terribly compelling.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

Post #: 14
RE: Chris Ryan's Strike Back - 31/8/2011 6:36:22 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

I thinks it's been pretty decent so far, never saw the twist coming at the end of the second episode and that's a rarity in itself....

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 15
RE: Chris Ryan's Strike Back - 27/9/2011 6:42:57 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

Still really enjoying this. It has it's flaws but you can forgive them as the action is done really well. The storyline is pretty good as well so far...it's become a lot better now Scott has stopped calling everyone 'buddy'!

Post #: 16
RE: Chris Ryan's Strike Back - 28/9/2011 9:03:56 AM   
princessa

Loved the last two ep.  Watching this mainly for Philip Westchester?  He was in Camelot.  Also featured Iain Glen from Game of Thrones.

Post #: 17
RE: Chris Ryan's Strike Back - 28/9/2011 10:17:16 PM   
Blunderbuss

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

Still really enjoying this. It has it's flaws but you can forgive them as the action is done really well. The storyline is pretty good as well so far...it's become a lot better now Scott has stopped calling everyone 'buddy'!

I'm still digging this too, Uncle. The formula they've come up with is a pretty good one and you can't find it anywhere else on TV. There's a decent mix of on-going story-arc (the hunt for Latif) and self contained stories spread across a couple of eps (the hotel siege, the Irish terrorists, etc). The action and violence feels surprisingly plausible and the show doesn't pull its punches (bullet wounds, car crashes and punch-ups hurt, innocent bystanders die, there's blood). Some of the characters are reasonably complex and the scripts aren't total rubbish. They've given it a decent budget with proper location filming. There's enough sex, swearing and violence to make this a proper adult show rather than one for the family with all the compromises that entails.

Sure there's some ridiculous touches. The sheer amount of sex that the American character manages to have stretches credibility to breaking point. Does it say somewhere in the actor's contract that he has to have at least one sex scene per episode? So far he's bagged a Thai hooker, an Indian waitress, an Irish terrorist and an American journalist, apparently without even trying. Some of the soapier elements to the show don't quite work either. Oh and some plot twists are blindingly obvious.

That said I hope the ratings are good enough for a third series. Its good TV and there's nothing else out there like it.

Post #: 18
RE: Chris Ryan's Strike Back - 7/10/2011 12:35:52 PM   
Blunderbuss

It seems Strike Back has been a winner for Sky and their US production partner Cinemax because they've ordered a third season for next year.

I have to say that I'm pretty chuffed by that news. After an okay if somewhat brief first season the longer Season 2 continues to be a real winner IMO. Sure its pulpy, grown-up boys-own-adventure stuff, but as a fan of that sort of thing it pretty much ticks all the requisite boxes.

Post #: 19
RE: Chris Ryan's Strike Back - 8/10/2011 6:18:09 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

Certainly is good news! I can't believe more people don't watch this. It's good old fashioned TV action at it's best. Always look forward to watching this each week.

Post #: 20
RE: Chris Ryan's Strike Back - 8/10/2011 12:00:18 PM   
Wild about Wilder

Took me a little while to get into this but now am really enjoying this.

Post #: 21
RE: Chris Ryan's Strike Back - 8/10/2011 7:11:27 PM   
princessa

Love it.  Glad to know that it will have a third season.  Hopefully with Phillip Winchester.

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 22
RE: Chris Ryan's Strike Back - 13/10/2011 8:23:14 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

I almost died of shock when Scott turned down the blondies advances this week, but then he redeemed himself not a mere 20 seconds later!

Storyline is coming along nicely as well! They do get around a bit these terrorists!

(in reply to princessa)
Post #: 23
RE: Chris Ryan's Strike Back - 13/10/2011 12:59:40 PM   
Blunderbuss

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

I almost died of shock when Scott turned down the blondies advances this week, but then he redeemed himself not a mere 20 seconds later!

Storyline is coming along nicely as well! They do get around a bit these terrorists!

I was suprised too at first. I had assumed that all their mid-kidnap crisis flirting would lead up to the obligatory 'Scott has sex with improbably hot yet promiscuous woman' scene, so when it didn't happen my flaber was well and truly ghasted. Afterwards however, as Scott was, ahem, 'interacting' with the Austrian intelligence officer, I realised that his behaviour was completely true to the character.

He'd told Stonebridge in the previous ep that he genuinely liked the blonde & didn't view her just as another potential quickie. He then told her that he didn't want to let her down. Since the mission to catch Latif and hopefully clear his own name comes first for Scott, if he had slept with her he would have then had to leave her, have possibly not come back and in the process done the one thing he wanted to avoid doing which was hurt her. Banging random one night stands is okay for Scott because there's no deep emotional connection and both parties know where they stand. Sleeping with someone he genuinely cares about wasn't something he could do knowing that it didn't have a future.

On the surface Strikeback is a dumb-as-a-bag-of-hammers, boys-own action, espionage and sex show. A bit like Spartacus however, it manages to slip in characters who actually have some genuine depth and complexity. A show that cared less about character work and more about cheap thrills would have simply had Scott sleep with the Blonde and then leave her. The fact Strikeback didn't (even if they had their cake and ate with the arrival of the implausibly sexy Austrian IO) is to the show's credit.

Post #: 24
RE: Chris Ryan's Strike Back - 17/10/2011 5:44:23 PM   
Blunderbuss

It felt like a bit of a rushed ep for Strikeback this week, as if they were trying to cram in a lot of exposition in preparation for the finale next week. There were too many 'pay attention, this is important' moments, such as the footage of the Pakistani General on TV who we've never heard of before but will no-doubt turn out to be crucial next week, to make for a smooth or satisfying ep. There was however, one absolutely stand-out sequence when Stonebridge and Scott came under fire from a bunch of Chechen militia. Now I don't for a moment believe that two men armed with AK-47s and pistols could really take on that many similarly armed bandits, no matter how well trained they are, but it has to be the most intense, and well shot shoot-out I have seen on TV in years. A real adrenalin rush and it rescued an otherwise so-so episode.

Post #: 25
RE: Chris Ryan's Strike Back - 24/10/2011 3:36:09 PM   
Blunderbuss

WTF STRIKEBACK!!!???? You were doing so well and then you fell at the final hurdle. After an absolute corker of a second season this was an absolutely rubbish final ep.

Why?

SPOILERS!

1. It was a cliche-athon. From Stonebridge talking down the suicide bomber, to the fact that the suicide bombers had mobile phone triggers that included a big digital timer (why!? They were hardly going to plant a bomb that was inserted into their body and then run away before detonating it!) to Scott's fight where it cutaway to show the nearby balcony, thereby telegraphing that someone, probably the bad guy, was shortly to be thrown off it.
2. It suddenly got dumb. In addition to the utterly improbable time delay suicide bombs (again WTF?) you had the bad guys who spent several seconds pulling Section 20's power supplies before storming the base for no discernable benefit apart from giving everyone a few vital seconds warning and who didn't bother posting a rear guard whilst they also proved to be incredibly bad shots. Oh, and we're seriously supposed to believe that a VX Gas bomb set off in an old tram in downtowm Budapest would kill no-one at all and just break a few windows, but that the same design of bomb, when set off by Colonel Grant would destroy her, Latif and a van in a spectacular fireball. Oh, and that she would carry a still live bomb into an interrogation, or that her captors would just leave it in her pocket or that a bullet fired into plastic explosive would set it off. Strikeback wasn't perfect but one thing it hadn't been up until last night was utterly implausible, yet it managed to become stupidly so in the space of twenty minutes.
3. It all felt too rushed. Suddenly they're introducing a completely new character, the Pakistani General, who had a blink and you'll miss it moment the previous week, as an integral part of Latif's plan, Grant's past career, Trojan Horse and John Porter's betrayal. All in the space of about ten minutes. Why not have him hovering in the background from the very beginning as an ambiguous ally/potential threat to give him greater significance. Then you have the grand finale where Grant get's kidnapped, Stonebridge talks down a suicide bomber who is prepared to have a bomb inserted into his body but apparently isn't fanatical enough to kill a pregnant woman, Grant & Latif die and we get a quick shot of her highly convenient video confession, a quick drink at the bar and then Stonebridge and Scott having a chat on top of a building; that's it. Talk about anti-climatic.

All it all, after the uniformly excellent nine-preceding episodes, this just felt like a real let down. Hell, there wasn't even any utterly gratuitous sex and even the action sequences felt a second-rate. The only nice twist was the fact that there wasn't a mole inside Section 20 after-all; something I hadn't seen coming.

Post #: 26
RE: Chris Ryan's Strike Back - 31/10/2011 11:54:26 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

It certainly had it's faults in the finale but overall I have really enjoyed this series of Strike Back. I enjoyed the original series but it's been taken to another level this series with I presume a much increased budget and a more professional feel to it. Absolutely fantastic TV, hope this is the begining of something special. The lead actors have a great chemistry as well.

Post #: 27
RE: Chris Ryan's Strike Back - 26/7/2012 7:59:07 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Trailer!

Looking good!

Post #: 28
RE: Chris Ryan's Strike Back - 26/7/2012 8:06:43 PM   
Captain Black

Damn straight. Looks like I was little underwhelmed by it in my original post, but enjoyed the heck out of the rest of the season and genuinely excited for this one.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

Post #: 29
RE: Chris Ryan's Strike Back - 27/7/2012 8:55:51 PM   
princessa

Your not the only one excited Captain Jack...so am i. Cannot wait for August.

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Chris Ryan's Strike Back - Sky One Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI