Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Title Suggestion

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: Title Suggestion Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Title Suggestion - 30/9/2010 4:54:39 PM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fedz

Hang on, Coleman Reece... But wasn't The Riddler's original name Mister Reece or something? I'm no aficionado of the comics, so this could quite easily be an urban myth I'm re-spouting... but I'd be willing to place a hefty sum that he'll play a part in some leg of this story.

Can someone who knows a little more than me explain why Nolan wouldn't want to do another, as has been stated, has he suggested this?

Welcome fedz to the forum :-)

When you say Nolan didn't want to do another ? Do you mean after this third or after TDK, beacuse the original plan was for TDK to have only Harvey Dent in it and this third to have him as Two-Face with the third film having his transformation and downfall.

Nolan took a second look at the time frame of the three acts and felt he could conclude over one film and placed the conclusion of film three into TDK which ultimately worked in his favour given the sadness of Heath's death but what that meant is that his ideal changed for film three and he's had to work from scratch with his ideas and bring A N OTHER which he had not anticpated, hence everyone's belief that the next most well known villain to a mass market is The Riddler will be appearing.

Origins are that his real name is Edward Nygma and his characterisation has seen quite a few varients on the telling of him and his relationship to Batman and how he is portrayed. Nolan may well expand the Coleman Reece angle next time round, I however think he'll just be killed off on screen by whichever villian they choose to use.

(in reply to Fedz)
Post #: 31
re title suggestion - 30/9/2010 5:29:57 PM   
From_Hell

It's a bit obvious but I'll be happy to see The Riddler and Catwoman in the third movie. My favourite internet rumour for ideal candidates for the roles of the villains is Casey Affleck for The Riddler and Megan Fox for Catwoman....

Whatever happens I just hope Nolan doesn't drop a bollock!

< Message edited by elab49 -- 30/9/2010 5:35:26 PM >

"What are you gonna do?"

"What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

Post #: 32
RE: re title suggestion - 30/9/2010 5:36:16 PM   
elab49

We'd be grateful if posters could ensure they don't copy spam addresses when replying to posts - please take care to edit post title.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 33
RE: Unbelievable! - 30/9/2010 6:56:22 PM   
Tech_Noir

I say make Alfred the villain.
Post #: 34
RE: Title Suggestion - 30/9/2010 7:20:00 PM   
norman365

quote:

ORIGINAL: ashkam

How about Knightfall?

The title comes from a 1993 Batman comic with Bane (a stupidly unrealistic character). I really can't see Bane being part of Nolan's Batworld because, as we know, Nolan is all about intellectual conflict. The Riddler will test Batman's detective skills and perhaps Nolan can borrow from the Bane story and The Riddler can be 'The Man Who Broke The Bat' mentally.(????)

I don't think Nolan will title it 'The Dark Knight Returns' because Batman isn't supposed to have gone anywhere. He 'endures'.

erm yes he has...he's a fugitive and as no one except one person knows who Bruce really is he can fade away into the background... or can he? (twiddles eyebrow like a pantomime villain)

I also read someone disagree with me about Jolie as Catwoman somewhere, which is fine but if you look at who the character is she's completely perfect:

looks and physicality? I think most people would agree here. she can do fights and action scenes in her sleep and she can definitely play a hard but vulnerable femme fatale

plus if you believe everything you read she definitely has a touch of the eccentricity required to make you believe this is a woman who would go out every night dressed as a cat...for me, she simply ticks every box that the character needs. she just IS selina kyle in the same way Robert Downey Jnr embodies the core of who Tony Stark is.

btw, good call on Knightfall; was my favourite batman story as a kid ;-)

< Message edited by norman365 -- 30/9/2010 7:22:16 PM >

(in reply to ashkam)
Post #: 35
RE: No Catwoman! - 30/9/2010 10:13:58 PM   
norman365

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cyberleader

Some say a girl dressing as a cat is just as silly as a guy dressing as a clown (the Joker). But the clown make up wasn't a gimmick! t was ironic, a cold, permanent grin. Seeing how mad the World really is...anarchy, blah, blah....Dressing as a cat?! No. And no, she wasn't done realistically in The Long Halloween (great as she and that graphic novel are) so how would you do a realistic version exactly? And Angelina Jolie? Really? In a Nolan Batman film?
I vote Penguin. And no, not the mutant half human half bird one (that's Tim Burton's invention) but the gangster one. And he has to be played by Joe Pesci.

you're free to your opinion and I completely agree with you about the Joker, but how is doing catwoman realistically any different to doing Batman?

and yes Angelina Jolie could be in a Christopher Nolan film. put it this way and no disrespect to either of them, if Robin Williams and David Bowie can both star in his films then why not?

< Message edited by norman365 -- 30/9/2010 10:14:57 PM >
Post #: 36
Don't kill him! - 30/9/2010 11:57:10 PM   
Emyr Thy King

I don't like the suggestion that Bruce Wayne should be killed off. Perhaps people are wondering how Bruce Wayne can cope with all that's happened and he'll either a) implode due to emotional and psychological traumaor b) have to sacrifice hmself to save Gotham. Fine but it just feels cowardly to me. I think some may feel awkward and clueless as to how to progress the character beyond the third film -- hence the "let's off him" suggestions. I think a more creative decision would be preferable, such as allowing him to live! I think a great conclusion would be Gotham embracing the Batman and Batman becoming part of the fabric of the city, rather than an outsider who marauds the streets beating up criminals. He was made an honoury member of the GPD in the comics. Unless I'm mistaken?

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 1/10/2010 12:02:01 AM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to norman365)
Post #: 37
Batman 3 - 1/10/2010 9:03:52 AM   
Alistair

This is excellent news. And for Nolan to appear enthusiastic about a story he must have a stunning conclusion in store for us.

I think Nolan must have felt a bit distant from Batman for a while after Ledger died.

Some people might say that Nolan 'takes a break' in-between Batman films to explore other projects. I don't think this is the case at all. I don't think he has ever worked with the intention of making another Batman film. This is why The Dark Knight was such a great film. He had the idea, he had the enthusiasm for that idea and then he made the film. The same must apply with the third film. You simply can't approach a film series like this by just coming up with something for the sake of it. Chris and Jonah must have had a strong sense of what they wanted to do which informed their decision to finally make it.

< Message edited by Alistair -- 1/10/2010 9:04:34 AM >

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift...that's why they call it the present.

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 38
RE: Batman 3 - 1/10/2010 9:20:00 AM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alistair

This is excellent news. And for Nolan to appear enthusiastic about a story he must have a stunning conclusion in store for us.

I think Nolan must have felt a bit distant from Batman for a while after Ledger died.

Some people might say that Nolan 'takes a break' in-between Batman films to explore other projects. I don't think this is the case at all. I don't think he has ever worked with the intention of making another Batman film. This is why The Dark Knight was such a great film. He had the idea, he had the enthusiasm for that idea and then he made the film. The same must apply with the third film. You simply can't approach a film series like this by just coming up with something for the sake of it. Chris and Jonah must have had a strong sense of what they wanted to do which informed their decision to finally make it.

As I said in earlier reply on this page to Fedz, they had to start again from scratch because of Heath's death and to pick themselves up and create another story and alter their end conclusion to accomodate that takes great strength and should be applauded for it.

(in reply to Alistair)
Post #: 39
RE: bats - 1/10/2010 12:29:52 PM   
DazDaMan

[image]http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/11/13/128711087237292502.jpg[/image]

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!
Post #: 40
RE: bats - 1/10/2010 2:49:12 PM   
jobloffski

Still feel, as I've said many times before, that Nolan will complete the character development of Batman. He has taken him from how he begins, into the darkness of the night, and I feel that acceptance by Gotham of the fully fledged Caped Crusader after he comes to the rescue of Gotham in Bat3 will be how it goes.

This will allow Nolan to bow out having explored all the aspects of the character, and having left WB with options at any time to go dark, because the precedent has been set. Additionally, the expectation that a Batflick will go where you least expect will be solidified, and given the fear hollywood has of making people have to wait for a story to be told, that is GOLD for a tentpole returning property Franchise fixed, credibility restored and the future rosy.

Nolan will also be able to have his cake and eat it, by going dark at the START of Bat3 in order to (remembering his penchant for logical narrative flow and thematic development) portray the character descending into his darkest hour just before the dawn.

I really, really can't see an apocalyptic ending coming. I see the culmination of the (re)creation of a character with the character being as iconic and shining as Bruce wanted him to be. The road to that ending can still be rocky as fuck, and a gifted storyteller can take the audience along that rocky road, and make them 'need' a happy ending. Not for the sake of the audience, but for the sake of the characters on screen.

Then what comes next wont have to be a total reboot, the spirit of what has been achieved can be the starting point, with even a total recast not destroying everything. Nolan will have opened the door for a heavy Batman film OR a lighter one being the next option, with the thriller, or adventure, or the epic, or the personal being the main point of films that can look and feel different from the last. Nolan has made the formula the starting point, not the sole goal, and once again, I feel that his intent will be to complete the creation of the iconic batman, to give Bruce some sense of reward for his hard work, Gordon some hope its worth the fight, etc.

And once again I stress the film can put the characters and audience through sheer hell en route to that point, which is my instinctive expectation for how Bat3 will play.

The darkest hour comes just before the dawn. But I promise you, the dawn is coming.

Final point, re title speculation both films so far have given the title at the end. They both refer to the point on the road batman has reached in character development (At the end of one, Batman Begins, By the end of the second, he has become The Dark Knight). So it don't involve rocket science to speculate that the end of Bat3 will come with the on screen title of the film, that it will refer to where the Batman character is at, and even if the title isn't this, I suspect the character status of Batman at the end of 3 will be The Caped Crusader.

Pretty sure he wont be dead, or retired, or despondent. The story so far has followed the traditional hero quest schematic (lack of parents, taught a new way of life, choosing to do good with power instead of exploiting it, being tested and looking at the dark side of himself), and that basically has a payoff of 'everything is falling into hell, but the innate heroism of the hero gives him the strength, when all seems lost, to defeat his own doubts and fears, and still be standing, finally the hero he was born to be.

And anyway, WB may largely let Nolan do what he wants with the train set, but I doubt that extends as far as stamping on it so nobody else gets to play with it before he bows out. The comics are where the harshest of tales happen, the movies always have to maintain mass appeal. I can imagine WB considering offering Bale and Nolan a crack at a properly adult version of the Dark Knight Returns if they want him to do something that pushes the envelope (and as a reward for reanimating the cash cow), but that would be a side project, a self contained spin off. I can't really see any other route to getting the kind of material into a Batman movie some seem so desperate to see.

Especially when both Batman begins and TDK have had a little bit of focus on little kids who need the kind of example Batman represents in a harsh world.

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 1/10/2010 2:54:44 PM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 41
RE: Go with Penguin.......... - 1/10/2010 5:25:49 PM   
richie fingers

sorry dont know long Halloween and dark victory. I take it there comics?

i shoulda broke YOUR thumb!

(in reply to norman365)
Post #: 42
RE: bats - 1/10/2010 7:12:57 PM   
Alistair

quote:

ORIGINAL: jobloffski
Nolan will also be able to have his cake and eat it, by going dark at the START of Bat3 in order to (remembering his penchant for logical narrative flow and thematic development) portray the character descending into his darkest hour just before the dawn.

I really, really can't see an apocalyptic ending coming. I see the culmination of the (re)creation of a character with the character being as iconic and shining as Bruce wanted him to be. The road to that ending can still be rocky as fuck, and a gifted storyteller can take the audience along that rocky road, and make them 'need' a happy ending. Not for the sake of the audience, but for the sake of the characters on screen.

I agree with you entirely, and you raise excellent points. Nolan will not kill off Batman. It just won't happen. Hopefully the film will show that Bruce has done all he can to secure a better future of Gotham and that now the police can do enough to carry this on.

I don't care about the villains at this point, but I am fascinated at how Nolan plans on tying up the loose ends from TDK (Harvey's dead, all the good that he did has gone with him). How can the people of Gotham put trust back in Batman if he's the one who's taken the blame for Harvey's behaviour? And how can Batman put an end to the corruption in Gotham, which is the biggest thorn in the side of the authorities. Very interesting.

Batman set out to inspire people. He will have to become this inspirational figure again at some point in the film, and it will have to end of a high note otherwise the whole story won't make any sense and won't be satisfactory. It's all about Batman leaving a legacy behind at the end of the day.

I think this one will have the longest running time of the three...

< Message edited by Alistair -- 1/10/2010 7:16:11 PM >

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift...that's why they call it the present.

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 43
RE: Title Suggestion - 1/10/2010 11:06:30 PM   
Goddamnitsaveme

Ok, I am hoping for a few things with this film...

1- No crazy, over-the-top, circus freak villain, ie. no penguins.
2- No new mushy love interest. Nolan is no good in that dept.
3- No going too far into the "dark and gritty", we're already far enough, thank you.
4- Yes to the Batmobile! I know it broke in TDK, we need another one!
5- No catwoman.
6- Yes to Harley Quinn. At least give her a cameo appearance!
7- No unnecessary deaths. A lot of people died (or at least pretended to) in the last one.
8- Yes to the Riddler. He would be really awesome. I wouldn't even mind if Jim Carey reprized his role... Just no spandex, please.
9- No Robin. Ever.
10- Or Batgirl.
11- No back-and-forth plot like in Begins. That shit was confusing...
12- Yes to more Joker. We don't need to even see him, but I want to know he's still around.
13- Yes to lightening the mood... every once in a while.
14- No to anything that can't be explained logically. That means nothing SUPER.
15- Yes to EPIC-ness.
16- Yes to explosions.
17- Yes to Bruce going off the deep-end a little. The love of his life has just died, Alfred eventually WILL tell him about the letter and Batman goes a little trigger-happy...
18- Yes to a happy ending.
19- Yes to a GOOD ending (If point 18 must be sacrificed to achieve this then so be it).
20- Yes to a tear-jerker moment involving Alfred and Bruce.
21- No to a short film. It MUST be at least 2 hours long. At least.
22- Yes to a female lead (This must not contradict point 2!). Perhaps a female villain?
23- Yes to a new and improved Batcave. This means Wayne Manor has to be built.
24- Yes to an EPIC Batcave.
25- Yes to an EPIC Batmobile chase scene.
26- Yes to Bruce doing something bad. Something actually bad. Something Alfred would get scared about.
27- No to crazy gadgets. TDK went overboard with the fingerprint thing... Not cool.
28- No to dancing, singing or emos. In fact, anything Spiderman did, I say NO to.
29- Yes to financial crisis for Wayne Enterprises. It would put a strain on Bruce's, err, "spelunking".
30- Yes to uprising, marching, rioting and politics.
31- Yes to a little weirdness. Just a little. The last two have been very serious.
32- No to any sort of coincidental personal relationship with the villain. Gotham is not small.
33- No to any sort of apprentice (as mentioned previously in points 9 and 10).
34- No to a near death exp.
35- Yes to a calm before a storm. TDK was all BAM BAM BAM, all the time.
And finally:
36- NO to Bat-nipples.
and
37- NO to rubber ass flashes.

If all of these points are acknowledged by Mr. Nolan I will be happy.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 44
RE: Title Suggestion - 1/10/2010 11:24:20 PM   
Emyr Thy King

I couldn't be satisfied unless Nolan and co round off the film series with a trilogy. I think the second film may feel less awkward for me once I know what happens to Bruce Wayne and Batman after the tragic events of the second film. I think the Nolans (no sorry Andy Luke; "the brothers Nolan ) will realise that after the second film which was an ensemble with a very dominant Joker. A more introspective film will be required to re-focus the drama on Bruce Wayne and Batman. There has to be some sort of internal emotional/psychological turmoil which may threaten to engulf Bruce Wayne. We know that Wayne Manor and the Batcave will be the fortress for the respective alter-egos. The manor as an ivory tower for Bruce Wayne whilst the cave is a solitary refuge for Batman. I think one important feature of Wayne Manor will be how bare it is in comparison to what it was in "Batman Begins". All of the family heirlooms, art, furniture etc would've been burnt to a crisp. Any new ornaments will have been chosen by Bruce Wayne and Alfred. Even so, it'll be relatively empty and this may be a reflection of Bruce Wayne.

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to Goddamnitsaveme)
Post #: 45
RE: Title Suggestion - 2/10/2010 12:05:50 AM   
norman365

quote:

ORIGINAL: Emyr Thy King

I couldn't be satisfied unless Nolan and co round off the film series with a trilogy. I think the second film may feel less awkward for me once I know what happens to Bruce Wayne and Batman after the tragic events of the second film. I think the Nolans (no sorry Andy Luke; "the brothers Nolan) will realise that after the second film which was an ensemble with a very dominant Joker. A more introspective film will be required to re-focus the drama on Bruce Wayne and Batman. There has to be some sort of internal emotional/psychological turmoil which may threaten to engulf Bruce Wayne. We know that Wayne Manor and the Batcave will be the fortress for the respective alter-egos. The manor as an ivory tower for Bruce Wayne whilst the cave is a solitary refuge for Batman. I think one important feature of Wayne Manor will be how bare it is in comparison to what it was in "Batman Begins". All of the family heirlooms, art, furniture etc would've been burnt to a crisp. Any new ornaments will have been chosen by Bruce Wayne and Alfred. Even so, it'll be relatively empty and this may be a reflection of Bruce Wayne.

COMIC SPOILERS AHEAD!

you know the more I read on this forum, the more I tend to think he'll go with the red hood as the main villain and not penguin/catwoman/riddler (although they may feature in some capacity, remember selina kyle is the secret daughter of carmine falcone)

there can be no more emotional trauma for Bruce Wayne than to realise his entire mission in life is nothing more than a sham, which would tie it nicely to the previous films and complete the story of Batman as a whole.

< Message edited by norman365 -- 2/10/2010 12:06:55 AM >

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 46
RE: Title Suggestion - 2/10/2010 7:30:06 PM   
jes5348

I stumbled across this article a while ago via a youtube video.  It has some interesting ideas and takes on how the film should be finished.  It talks about the effectiveness Nolan might gain by using a time jump.  It would certainly would give time for Gotham to further fall apart and would explain the absence of the Joker. It also gives it the best title I've heard yet: (Taken from a portion of the article)

"Nolan's Batman Trilogy was never, and isn't, meant to be about the happenings and escapades of Batman. This is not villain-of-the-week Caped Crusader. Nolan's Batman is a study of hope's triumph over corruption, over evil. Batman Begins may be the very beginning, but The Dark Knight is as much a beginning, maybe even more so. We don't need a middle. I don't want a middle. Tell me the middle, make me feel it, know it, right before the end. It's the end that I want. Batman 3 is the end that this series needs. It's the poignant finish to an already transcendent would-be-trilogy. And it all starts and ends with time. The future is where Batman 3 needs to take place, a future of bleak hopelessness, a future far enough away that the logistical issues of the contemporary universe are no longer an issue, a future that allows a bold structure but tonal congruence, a future at the very brink in need of a savior a savior who must overcome his reluctance, his fear, and his foil in order to truly make the difference he's been unable to make for so long. Its title need not be so literal as Batman Begins nor so heady as The Dark Knight simply, but thoughtfully, its title should be The Batman.
Even if it takes five years or ten, this is a series, a franchise, deserving of its very final chapter. And it's Christopher Nolan who should be the one to provide us with it. With closure. With hope. With The Batman"

I especially agree with the writer of this article, and many others on this board, that Nolan's Batman is not about "villain of the week".

If you are interested in reading the whole article, you can find it here:

http://you-will-love.com/mythman/BatmanAscension

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 47
RE: Title Suggestion - 3/10/2010 3:42:32 PM   
davidkclark

I might be totally off here, but is Harvey actually dead? I mean he had his face burned off and walked away from a massive car crash, and though we saw him unconscious after the fall we never saw anyone check his pulse or anything. Given he looks like a nightmare in flesh and has gone absolutely crazy it would stand to reason that they would tell the public he is dead because if they told the truth then it would destroy all the good work he did to have everyone know even the best of them can fall so far and so hard. Also, if he is alive and maybe just locked up in Arkham there is a chance for the truth to come out and Batman to get his good name back, maybe even get a better name if people understood why he took the wrap for stuff. I could see Talia turning up to get revenge and Harvey running the city's gangsters from the shadows with a big reveal later that he is still alive. Nolan seems to like having more than one villain sharing the bad guy spot so that they don't overshadow bats and this combination would tie up the loose ends and give a logical explanation to how Batman gets good with the people again.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 48
RE: Title Suggestion - 7/10/2010 5:36:10 PM   
Butlerbert

it will be the riddler people, face it, just look at the colour system of the past two films, begins had a very brown feel to it, almost red, the dark knight was very much blue, the opening logos and final confrontation scen with the joker. The next in line is green! like the lord of the rings box sets, colour systems!!

(in reply to davidkclark)
Post #: 49
RE: Title Suggestion - 8/10/2010 12:04:19 PM   
Qwerty Norris

Even though it's not much of a surprise, delighted he's back on board to complete the trilogy so to speak. Not terribly bothered who is or isn't involved villain-wise, as whoever he and his brother decide on I'm sure will be the right choice.

In Nolan we trust!

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Fedz)
Post #: 50
RE: Title Suggestion - 8/10/2010 2:42:04 PM   
The Todge

I reckon joboffski is closest to guessing what we can expect from the third installment.

I have to say though, while I'm looking forward to seeing what Nolan does with it, my enthusiasm is diminished a little bit.  I really don't expect the darkness that a lot of people are simply because they've never really conveyed the tortured psychology of the character, like they did in the Burton films, which Keaton played so well.

In Nolan's universe he is The Dark Knight by reputation alone.  It's a bit limiting.  Still we'll see.

THIS..............is God.

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 51
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: Title Suggestion Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI