Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Christopher Nolan Confirms Batman 3

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Christopher Nolan Confirms Batman 3 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Christopher Nolan Confirms Batman 3 - 29/9/2010 5:44:45 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: Win! - 29/9/2010 6:02:28 PM   
darko18

< Message edited by darko18 -- 9/4/2013 11:21:33 AM >
Post #: 2
RE: Villains - 29/9/2010 6:34:46 PM   
Frank Castle

quote:

ORIGINAL: intelandroid

In the real-world Gotham City that Nolan has created, there isn't any room for many of the most famous Batman villains: the Penguin and the Riddler, for example, are just too silly for the new Batman. The lesser-known villains, on the other hand, might be a better fit-- Man-Bat, Anarky, Azrael, et. al.-- but perhaps.not enough of a box-office draw. Whichever way the Nolans decide to go, however, I'm sure it'll be great... as long as they avoid the dreaded superhero disease, Toomanyvillainitis.

The penguin would fit fine in that world, as gang boss and the riddler isnt really that far removed from the joker.The riddles could be all dark and nasty God no mr freeze please thats just to silly. seeing as there is no love intrest i wouldnt be surprised to see catwoman in the 3rd movie.

" guys its ok, he just wanted his machette back"!!
Post #: 3
RE: No Catwoman (In Nolan's bat universe? Really?!!). - 29/9/2010 7:23:51 PM   
darko18

< Message edited by darko18 -- 9/4/2013 11:21:01 AM >
Post #: 4
RE: Villains - 29/9/2010 7:28:43 PM   
darko18

< Message edited by darko18 -- 9/4/2013 11:20:06 AM >

(in reply to Frank Castle)
Post #: 5
All Nolan Alumni - 29/9/2010 7:51:45 PM   
ashkam

After consulting with my comic book geek friend and doing a lil research, here are my predictions:

I can see there being two or three adversaries.
The Riddler: Guy Pearce (Depp is too obvious and I think Pearce could do with a big blockbuster. I would like to see him take The Riddler to a more obsessive complusive direction without being psycho like the Joker. Think: more financial crimes rather than crimes against persons.) I think Joseph Gordon Levitt is more likely.
Black Mask: Tom Hardy (in psychotic Bronson mode. Black Mask's False Face Society running the criminal underworld. I think Black Mask is one of the characters who Nolan would bring into The Batman World.)
Talia (Ra's Ah Ghul's daughter): Rebecca Hall (Wrap up the trilogy by turning back to the plot of the first film, Batman Begins. Revenge perhaps? Seducing him as a Bruce Wayne groupie?)
Penguin (NOT mutant penguin): Andy Serkis or Joe Pantoliano (Taking the Penguin character to a dark side. No stupid mutation but just a gangster who thinks of himself as a high class criminal.)

Do you guys remember William Fichtner in that very small role in The Dark Knight in the opening scene as The Bank Manager. I would love to see him come back as a villain. I thought it was strange that such a big actor played such a small part. Perhaps Nolan wants to bring him back!!

I can see Nolan turning to cast members who he has worked with in the past. Memento, Prestige, Inception. Any thoughts?

(in reply to darko18)
Post #: 6
RE: Win! - 29/9/2010 8:23:52 PM   
ashkam

Nolan's already said that Mr Freeze won't be in any of his films. Calendar Man or Girl could be interesting. Causing havoc. I haven't read a Black Mask comic but his profile seems interesting. I'd like to see Tom Hardy chewing up scenery as Black Mask.

(in reply to darko18)
Post #: 7
RE: wow. - 29/9/2010 8:27:49 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

I can barely contain my excitement. Never saw this coming. I'll bet Christopher Nolan has never even read a BATMAN comic in his life.

Judging by Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, I doubt that.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates
Post #: 8
RE: title - 29/9/2010 8:31:00 PM   
ashkam

There will be copyright issues from Frank Miller's 1986 graphic novel of the same name. Batman's 50 years old in that book. If they can get that title, it will be perfect!
Post #: 9
RE: title - 29/9/2010 8:47:24 PM   
TheSpleen

I'm thinking Riddler and Catwoman although i'd rather they didn't. I'll still be first in line mind. I'm a massive JGL fan but hoping he won't be Riddler. In fact i can't see Nolan casting any of the rumoured names, it'll be someone who everyone bitches about me thinks.
My first choice for Riddler? JOHN CUSACK.

(in reply to ashkam)
Post #: 10
RE: Rather it was left alone - 29/9/2010 9:11:57 PM   
norman365

personally I think DK has the perfect ending for Batman as Bruce has fulfilled his wishes; by taking the fall for Harvey he makes him the white knight for gotham to gather itself together just as his father's death was, and seeing as the only guy who knows who Bats actually is would keep stum considering Bruce saved his life (or so you would assume) he can be a fugitive and slip away quietly.

saying that, for the sequel you would probably have to look at either an amended Dark Knight Returns (you know it has to be called that) or more likely Dark Victory, considering how much of an influence Long Halloween had on DK.

I'll eat my hat though if Angelina Jolie isn't catwoman; she's just the character that she was born to play (she even looks similar to Selina Kyle).

< Message edited by norman365 -- 29/9/2010 9:13:38 PM >
Post #: 11
RE: Villains - 29/9/2010 9:20:17 PM   
norman365

quote:

In the real-world Gotham City that Nolan has created, there isn't any room for many of the most famous Batman villains: the Penguin and the Riddler, for example, are just too silly for the new Batman. The lesser-known villains, on the other hand, might be a better fit-- Man-Bat, Anarky, Azrael, et. al.-- but perhaps.not enough of a box-office draw. Whichever way the Nolans decide to go, however, I'm sure it'll be great... as long as they avoid the dreaded superhero disease, Toomanyvillainitis.

there's a place for the penguin definitely, if Nolan grounds him in reality pitches him more as the sleazy nightclub owner than how Burton interpreted him. Riddler could work too, although thinking about it another road he could go down would be the red hood which could tie up the trilogy perfectly if done right.

as for toomanyvillainitis, Nolan has already shown he can juggle a large number of villains in both films by limiting the amount of backstory required for each one, ans keeping the focus firmly on the most important to the overall story (Begins had Four in it!)
Post #: 12
RE: Go with Penguin.......... - 29/9/2010 9:32:52 PM   
norman365

quote:

ORIGINAL: richie fingers

The Riddler would be a stupid move as of the way the movies are going. It will take something special to make some twonk with riddles to be realistic and form to the movies mood/ setting. They pulled it of with Joker (cut up face / war paint to scare enemies blah blah) if they go riddling it will fuck up this franchise and revert it back to the old McDonalds happy meal movies. Having the Penguin can be a deformed man with bird like deformities, hidden away by rich socialite parents then goes nuts and comes out in public with a bang to seek revenge on his parents and favored blue eyed boy brother who is now the new D. A all corrupt using the police force as his own private army. Just thinking out loud. Cat woman would be stupid too. Keep it real, fuck the comics.

catwoman wouldn't be stupid if he keeps close to the sort of character she is in Long Halloween/Dark Victory, which you'd think he would looking at how much inspiration he's took from that interpretation of Batman already. why would a woman dress as a cat? how about the same reasons batman's arrival made a man dress up as a clown etc.
Post #: 13
RE: All Nolan Alumni - 29/9/2010 9:35:13 PM   
darko18

< Message edited by darko18 -- 9/4/2013 11:19:05 AM >

(in reply to ashkam)
Post #: 14
RE: Villains - 29/9/2010 9:55:19 PM   
sleepwalker

I say forget the villains entirely, it's the themes and story I'm interested in, the dark knight managed to fit in more substance than most of it's nearest peers put together, (sorry x2 I do love you but it's true), I don't think it will have anything to do with clearing the dark knights name, but I'd like to hear more of your thoughts.

If Indiana Jones was on the Lost island, they would all be at home watching 24 by now

(in reply to norman365)
Post #: 15
RE: Villains - 29/9/2010 10:30:40 PM   
davidkclark

I think a real curve ball of a villain would be Clayface. Now I know everyone's immediate reaction is that it's a ridiculous idea but imagine a guy with a messed up face who is also some sort of prosthetics whizz. Maybe he gets messed up as a result of Batman's actions, or blames Bats, and gets to Batman through the guy who was on the news. I mean the whole city knows this guys knows who Batman is or claims to, so giving a villain the power of knowing the secret would be easy if you could get at that guy,and who better than someone who looks like someone he knows. It could also bring up some really interesting ideas on the nature of the mask and get Batman questioning who he really is and who he really wants to be. I know most people will rip me a new one for suggesting this but I think it has real potential.
Post #: 16
RE: Time to get real - 29/9/2010 10:40:36 PM   
ashkam

@Campbell1847

You sound very much the pessimist. Everyone said that he wouldn't top Batman Begins before The Dark Knight was released. let's wait and see before we take on the attitude of, 'You can't top it so don't bother!!'

I don't think Nolan will go full on A List casting for the Box Offiice Draw. WB might pressure him to do so but his Billions should have earned him creative control. I can picture the main plot of the story being a purely intellectual battle between Batman and The Riddler with various subplots of maniacal Joker wanabes like Calendar Man and Deadshot causing havoc across Gotham. Every big film needs a female lead and I think Talia (Ra's Ah Ghul's daughter) could be interesting. Perhaps she becomes one of Bruce Wayne's groupie's to get close enough to kill him.
Post #: 17
RE: Villains - 29/9/2010 10:52:55 PM   
CU@theOscars

quote:

I think it's the exact opposite. Nolan has created the most realistic vision of Batman so far (There has been no need for Shark Repellent Spray so far, for example).

Philippe Petit: It's impossible, that's sure. So let's start working.
Post #: 18
RE: Rather it was left alone - 29/9/2010 11:05:36 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: norman365

personally I think DK has the perfect ending for Batman as Bruce has fulfilled his wishes; by taking the fall for Harvey he makes him the white knight for gotham to gather itself together just as his father's death was, and seeing as the only guy who knows who Bats actually is would keep stum considering Bruce saved his life (or so you would assume) he can be a fugitive and slip away quietly.

No, not for me. I think the use of "The Dark Knight" to conclude the series would be both cowardly and unbefitting of Batman. Batman hasn't enjoyed such a fate in the comics and I don't think he deserves such an ending on film. The point made in the second film was that Batman as a symbol was meant to endure. Even if Batman has to take the blame for the killings of Gotham's police officers and citizens, he wouldn't give up his role as protector and guardian of Gotham. The death of Thomas Wayne (his parents really) did galvanise the citizens of Gotham city into action or rather its wealthy elite into action. However, as Henri Ducard/Ra's al Ghul said: "Their deaths galvanised the city into saving itself... and Gotham has limped on ever since". History will repeat itself if no saviour can remain alive to lead Gotham out of the pits and despair of crime. Gotham needs Batman. for he can survive all that is thrown against him, which not even the senior Waynes nor Harvey Dent could endure.

I think the ending of the second film only provides a more fascinating challenge to Chris Nolan and his creative team. We can really explore Bruce Wayne's mental state, how Batman can survive given his 'public enemy number' one status and of course who'll be the new face of crime? The Joker was just a tsunami, a huge tidal wave of chaos and destruction. A powerful one but an ephemeral one at that. Now, dark clouds will amass over Gotham and a typhoon will descend on Gotham. Clearly a new figurehead for the criminal underworld will step-in and take over the remnants of Carmine Falconi and Sal Maroni's mob. I think the perfect villain would be the Black Mask, aka Roman Sionis. He's a perfect mirror for both Bruce Wayne and Batman. He's an industrialist (perhaps a failed one). He's powerful, wealthy and domineering. There are very close parallels among Batman, the Black Mask and their respective alter-egos.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 29/9/2010 11:13:45 PM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to norman365)
Post #: 19
RE: All Nolan Alumni - 30/9/2010 12:35:34 AM   
ashkam

I do like that idea. It makes a lot of sense. I just don't think the guy who played Coleman Reese has it in him to have a major role in the film. I really think Bane is a wholly unrealistic character who would be at odds with the realistic backdrop of Nolan's Batworld.

(in reply to darko18)
Post #: 20
Title Suggestion - 30/9/2010 12:51:45 AM   
ashkam

How about Knightfall?

The title comes from a 1993 Batman comic with Bane (a stupidly unrealistic character). I really can't see Bane being part of Nolan's Batworld because, as we know, Nolan is all about intellectual conflict. The Riddler will test Batman's detective skills and perhaps Nolan can borrow from the Bane story and The Riddler can be 'The Man Who Broke The Bat' mentally.(????)

I don't think Nolan will title it 'The Dark Knight Returns' because Batman isn't supposed to have gone anywhere. He 'endures'.
Post #: 21
RE: Title Suggestion - 30/9/2010 1:46:44 AM   
Giddysamurai

quote:

ORIGINAL: ashkam

How about Knightfall?

The title comes from a 1993 Batman comic with Bane (a stupidly unrealistic character). I really can't see Bane being part of Nolan's Batworld because, as we know, Nolan is all about intellectual conflict. The Riddler will test Batman's detective skills and perhaps Nolan can borrow from the Bane story and The Riddler can be 'The Man Who Broke The Bat' mentally.(????)

I don't think Nolan will title it 'The Dark Knight Returns' because Batman isn't supposed to have gone anywhere. He 'endures'.

All of Batman's foes are unrealistic one way or another and as we've seen from Nolan's films he doesn't do straight adaptations of the characters or the storylines. The whole Knightfall storyline revolves around Bane trying to weaken Batman's resolve mentally and physically.

Yes, Yes Bane himself shouldn't be the huge skulking mass of muscle with a chemical that beefs him up as he is in the comics. However he also shouldn't be seen as the mute, grunting henchman in Batman and Robin; Bane is highly intelligent and is supposed to be intellectually matched with Batman, if you extrapolate upon that then you get a villain that could potentially defeat him and I think that's meant to be the next step. I'm just not sure if the Riddler is the one to do that or not.

(in reply to ashkam)
Post #: 22
RE: Title Suggestion - 30/9/2010 1:55:30 AM   
Concise_Statement

What about somehow utilising the word 'reckoning'? That sounds suitably epic for a concluding chapter dealing with the theme of comeuppance.

Batman Reckoning? (Maybe too familiar to the first franchise's wording.)
Batman's Reckoning? (A bit blunt like Batman Begins.)
The Knight's Reckoning? (My personal favourite.)
The Dark Knight's Reckoning? (Hammers home it's a sequel but a bit long and inelegant.)

< Message edited by Concise_Statement -- 30/9/2010 1:56:42 AM >

'Was Hypatia of Alexandria killed by Michael Bay?'

(in reply to Giddysamurai)
Post #: 23
Any one else think... - 30/9/2010 3:16:49 AM   
Scruff

that Nolan will kill Batman off at the end of this one? And no that doesn't mean the end of the franchise. Nolan almost definitely won't direct a fourth so WB will probably wait a few years before they reboot the franchise again. I can see it happening.

< Message edited by Scruff -- 30/9/2010 3:17:09 AM >

(in reply to Concise_Statement)
Post #: 24
RE: We can trust Greatness After Heath¢¾¢¾¢¾¢¾ - 30/9/2010 9:14:34 AM   
JIm R

Ridicously jumping to the asumption quote but Nolan on green background in photo = Riddler for Batman 3
Post #: 25
RE: oh the joys of speculation - 30/9/2010 1:18:53 PM   
dvdking

I cannot wait for this film. Absolutely loved the last two.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Science
I also think there's a strong possibility that Bruce Wayne will 'die'.

Dr Science I completely agree - I don't think Nolan would want to do anymore and I hope that they will not just bring in another director if there is the a fourth. This is his interption of that world - and my god is it amazing.

'Little Nancy Callahan. She grew up. She filled out.'

'It's not who I am underneath but what I do that defines me'
Post #: 26
RE: Title Suggestion - 30/9/2010 1:55:41 PM   
ashkam

I honestly can't see how anyone can make Bane fit into The Nolan world. He is so clever that he works out Batman's identity within one year and speaks 10 languages. And if they tone him down I think it's just anything for fan boys to moan about and another person the majority of audience's won't recognise. It's silly. I can see Nolan mixing parts of the Bane story with The Riddler. Let's remember, this is a movie for the masses. Fanboys can read the comics. Most paying customers has no interest in reading any comics.

(in reply to Giddysamurai)
Post #: 27
RE: Title Suggestion - 30/9/2010 2:20:14 PM   
shongage

batman begins,
the dark knight,
the caped crusader,
the dynamic duo!
:o

(in reply to ashkam)
Post #: 28
RE: Title Suggestion - 30/9/2010 2:20:40 PM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: ashkam

I honestly can't see how anyone can make Bane fit into The Nolan world. He is so clever that he works out Batman's identity within one year and speaks 10 languages. And if they tone him down I think it's just anything for fan boys to moan about and another person the majority of audience's won't recognise. It's silly. I can see Nolan mixing parts of the Bane story with The Riddler. Let's remember, this is a movie for the masses. Fanboys can read the comics. Most paying customers has no interest in reading any comics.

ruddy heathens

(in reply to ashkam)
Post #: 29
RE: Title Suggestion - 30/9/2010 4:37:40 PM   
Fedz

Hang on, Coleman Reece... But wasn't The Riddler's original name Mister Reece or something? I'm no aficionado of the comics, so this could quite easily be an urban myth I'm re-spouting... but I'd be willing to place a hefty sum that he'll play a part in some leg of this story.

Can someone who knows a little more than me explain why Nolan wouldn't want to do another, as has been stated, has he suggested this?

(in reply to ashkam)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Christopher Nolan Confirms Batman 3 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI