Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Downton Abbey

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Downton Abbey Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Downton Abbey - 30/12/2011 5:30:50 PM   
princessa

It was an ok ep but nothing special.  The last hour left me curious enough to watch Season 3.  What will happen with Bates?  Will Mary and Matthew finally get married?  Will Edith finally have a relationship?  Will Mary's ex expose the scandals he has been hiding?

I have to say that i fastforwarded some of the scenes.  I didn't care for the Ouija board stuff and the dog getting 'lost' plot was just silly. 

Hopefully Season 3 will be better.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 91
RE: Downton Abbey - 1/1/2012 12:21:26 PM   
demoncleaner

I had it recorded from Christmas day and just watched it yesterday. I really enjoyed it and thought it was very, very good for what it was. It really involved every character and felt like a strong episode straight from a series rather than an awkward Christmas standalone, which I was prepared to forgive it for....but didn't have to.

(in reply to princessa)
Post #: 92
RE: Downton Abbey - 1/1/2012 1:38:22 PM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: princessa

What will happen with Bates?

He will eventually be freed and he will go home to Anna and no-one will care because we're all bored.

I thought the Christmas special was quite good. Not as good as the first series, but better than much of the second. I liked the snow.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to princessa)
Post #: 93
RE: Downton Abbey - 1/1/2012 2:23:54 PM   
sparkwood

The Bates/Anna stuff was boring - one of the least interesting storylines of the year. Wasnt as good as last years and is still corny and filled with bad dialogue.At times it does feel a door slam away from farce but its undeniably satisfying drama.

Particularly liked the soldier in the first episode who affirmed "anyone of us can get killed in this war and if theres a bullet with your name on it theres no escape" just before getting shot through the head and Lavinia's plot convenient spanish flu death.

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 94
RE: Downton Abbey - 6/2/2012 12:57:23 PM   
sparkwood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBEcAwmnfGI

(in reply to sparkwood)
Post #: 95
RE: Downton Abbey - 6/2/2012 2:18:30 PM   
spark1

maclaine v smith?

only one thing for it.......

(in reply to sparkwood)
Post #: 96
RE: Downton Abbey - 17/9/2012 1:21:24 PM   
demoncleaner

I really enjoyed it.  Last series’ mawkish mis-steps and downright mistreatment of First World War casualites probably ostracised its fans into guilty-pleasure apologists (I remained happy to be one) but this seemed a step back in the right direction.  And series 3 seems to be Downtown for the recession.   It’s always made a good fist of showing the whole homogenous hive of interlinked, inter-dependent class system but a looming fiscal collapse shows the best defense of Downton as beneficent employer as opposed to vulgar seat of privilege.  Some people tend to take an obtuse view of Fellowe’s poshness and dismiss Downton out of hand as the indulged celebration of privilege, but the central hook has always been the mechanics within the debate of what the estate actually represents i.e. self-supported class system, or system of class exploitation?  Because it wouldn’t work as a bolshie treatise of conflict between classes Fellowes often makes unlikely complements of similar feeling between characters who for all intents and purposes never meet.  For a lovely example of those “mechanics” in last night’s episode I liked the fact that the hiring of a new footman represents an economic ball-ache for Robert and profound annoyance for the newly (more cute than accutely) politicised Daisy, if only they could get together and commiserate over a pint.

While watching this last night I had a sudden epiphany about the whole Downton thing.  When characters are being unreasonable it’s annoying as hell, but when they’re being reasonable it’s one of the nicest, affirmative things out there.  See for example Mary who last night was a fully-rehabilitated nice character with oodles of integrity.  The argument on the eve of a wedding was both a cliché and it immediately exposed Mary as a bit of a “calm-down dear” reactionary.  She has sort of a point at this moment, and the “deep down inside you’re not on our side thing” has a certain legitimacy if teased out as a growing suspicion, but the deft leap to that conclusion makes her reactionary and a tad silly at this moment.  I fully expected that we would have a “wedding’s off” plot point making the will-they/won’t-they gambit an ever arduous, ever tedious definition of the entire show to date.  But no, mercifully this is resolved (in every way possible) and it proves that when characters are being reasonable Downton is brilliantly watchable.  I suppose the necessary dynamic of it is to have these annoyances precisely to enjoy the resolutions.  The return of Branson also cements this idea.  His adherence to principle is noble, the fact that he can over-pronounce this makes him irritating.  The script knows this though and the sublimated mini-arc to compromise is very satisfying.  A fantastic episode of Downton is when the writer can provide these subtle mannered lessons for everyone.  The fact that there was something for every character in this made it very, very good for me.

I don’t believe Shirley MacClaine will be any sort of match for the Dowager but the sport within that stunt premise should be fun.  MacClaine’s character visibly owned Lady Grantham in one exhange, but Smith’s subsequent line, acknowledging not just that she’d been beaten, but admiraing how she’d been trumped completely gives her the edge.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 97
RE: Downton Abbey - 17/9/2012 9:36:36 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Yay, I unashamedly love this.

"Mr Gray has give something to Mr Branson to make him drunk."
"Was it drink?"

Also, Sybil. Forget that Mr Branson, she's mine.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 98
RE: Downton Abbey - 17/9/2012 9:44:10 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Yay, I unashamedly love this.

Me too! Hour and a half just wasn't long enough...

Going to be interesting to see what happens to Downton in a recession. How will Lady Grantham react?

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 99
RE: Downton Abbey - 4/10/2012 2:32:20 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Cor, that Stratton is a bit of a shit / predictable.

I kind of feel sorry for Edith - she was a total bitch in the first series - so that's a fairly good arc. I lolled at the following exchange though:

Edith: "Just go, all of you, with your husbands go! Just go!"
Lady Grantham: "I think we should go..."

Did I also get the impression that Mrs Hughes, the silly bint, has lied to Mrs Badcrumble, or whatever her name is, the cook, I forget her name, and thus has kept her illness to herself? That's the impression I got...

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 100
RE: Downton Abbey - 4/10/2012 5:47:15 PM   
Captain Black

The Bates in prison thread is moving at glacial pace; they need to pick it up. Preferrably with Bates beating up his ne'er do well cell mate, instigating a riot, then escaping and going on the run as some kind of prototypical action hero.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

Post #: 101
RE: Downton Abbey - 7/10/2012 6:46:14 PM   
originalcynic

You're hired as a scriptwriter! I recently caught up with the whole saga and now I'm up to date, waiting a week is a nightmare.

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 102
RE: Downton Abbey - 7/10/2012 10:04:42 PM   
Hood_Man

I was about to make a comment about Thomas being smitten, but he's clearly taken an arrow to the heart

(in reply to originalcynic)
Post #: 103
RE: Downton Abbey - 8/10/2012 8:36:22 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Poor Daisy.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 104
RE: Downton Abbey - 8/10/2012 9:19:03 PM   
Hobbitonlass

That Alfred is a bit of a cad...

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

Post #: 105
RE: Downton Abbey - 8/10/2012 9:43:12 PM   
Captain Black

Bonneville was on fire this week. "There seems to be something of the Johnny Foreigner about Catholics." Even topped his "We'll have to make do with only 8 servants" from the earlier episode.

Ethel giving up Charlie was a really well executed dramatic scene too.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 106
RE: Downton Abbey - 15/10/2012 1:48:40 PM   
spark1

noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

(in reply to princessa)
Post #: 107
RE: Downton Abbey - 15/10/2012 5:45:46 PM   
Hood_Man

Spark are you feeling ok? Where's the link to the latest Downton Abbey or other TV/Film news story or gossip?

But yeah, really sad story. Tim Pigott-Smith really does play the most fantastic bastard though.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 108
RE: Downton Abbey - 17/10/2012 1:54:24 PM   
homersimpson_esq

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 109
RE: Downton Abbey - 18/10/2012 2:52:14 AM   
demoncleaner

That was pretty harrowing. I think Downton Abbey has the reputation of being twee, and so when it does death-bed scenes it's supposed to be Little Women or some such. That was full-on proper harrowing. Like italian-neo-realism in-your-face upsetting. Downton has found its feet again, (after the crass WW1 series two) with a rather brilliant, twee, Christmas episode. The first episode of series 3 was rather, rather good. Episode 2 was a bit meh. I thought episode 3 was brilliant. Episode 4 was a bit upsetting and a bit special. A bit-over-extending-itself-upsetting and brilliant. Fuck Downton's recession, or Shirley MaClaine VS Maggie Smith, or poor Edith's displacement, or poor Bates and his in-prison assasinating, or poor Mrs.Hughes' cancer scare, or Alfred VS O'Brien, I think the pure drama is the mutual bollicking between Lord Grantham and Tom.

God, this is good, and my God, this is going to kick off.

I love Downton I do.

Post #: 110
RE: Downton Abbey - 28/10/2012 10:13:17 PM   
Captain Black

Branson's brother is....Seamus McFly. Amazing.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 111
RE: Downton Abbey - 29/10/2012 9:37:46 AM   
Vadersville

Nah, Seamus McFly would have let them borrow his hat.

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

Post #: 112
RE: Downton Abbey - 6/11/2012 9:53:45 PM   
Captain Black

That line about Eton was comedy gold. There's no point watching any more, it'll never top that.

What's that? Christmas special you say? Can't wait! And how old is that dog?

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 113
RE: Downton Abbey - 6/11/2012 10:16:52 PM   
Vadersville

I really enjoyed the finale. It was actually quite satisfying that series three was wrapped up with a happy ending. I was also surprised at how sorry I felt for Thomas. The guy is a complete dickhead but it was really terrible seeing at how his entire life could be destroyed just becasuse of his sexuality. The scene where Carson called him a vile thing was also pretty harsh. Not sure about him getting promoted higher than bates though. Hope he remembers it was because of him that he still has a job. Barrow has also grown on me loads in the last few episodes. He used to get on my tits but I like the way he's settling into the family now, particularly the grudging respect between him and Grantham. And yes, that Eton line was brilliant! Bring on the Christmas Special!

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

Post #: 114
RE: Downton Abbey - 25/12/2012 11:20:47 PM   
Captain Black

I've not made a serious comment about Downton yet, and after that Christmas special (set in the summer - Fellowes, you convention-avoiding genius) I'm sure not going to now!

Quite surprised they killed Matthew off (although it was obvious from the way it was shot - if it was set in the present day, what choon would he be listening to in the car whilst steering wheel drumming* I wonder?) so soon after Sybil. Of course the time leaps are an excuse to get away with the runaway train soap opera plotting (though they've clearly stopped bothering keeping track of that as it just said "1 year later") interspersed with stuff that doesn't go anywhere.

*Don't pretend you don't do that too!

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 115
RE: Downton Abbey - 26/12/2012 1:45:53 PM   
homersimpson_esq

What the actual fuck.

Bristol Bad Film Club

Post #: 116
RE: Downton Abbey - 26/12/2012 8:59:43 PM   
princessa

homersimpson_esq - u took the words right out of my mouth. I have just finished watching the Xmas ep...NOooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!1 I can't believe they killed of Matthew. From what i've just read on the internet the actor wanted to leave...i just can't imagine Downton without him.

Dan Stevens why did u leave?

Anyway back to this special. Lots happened but it just didn;t go anywhere. Apart from the ending which shocked me.

I was so happy for Mary and Matthew.

I'm sure the series will continue but for me personally it will not be the same. I don't want Rose to move into Downton. I find her character annoying. The Xmas ep for the most part was dull with not much happening. I want series 4 to be the last. I don't know where Julian Fellowes goes from here.

there are potential interesting story lines. But there'll probably be conveniently wrapped up really quickly.

Edith will be involved in some scandal with her editor but there'll probably split up soon after.

Branson is an odd fish with no real place anymore.

Anna and Bates have become a bore

IDK i'll still watch but it seems to me that its on a road to no where.

As for Series 3. Thomas being let back into the household despite everything just didn;t ring true. I know its Downton but still...

OMG Sybill...so sad

Branson became a bit of a radical bore for a while but he seems to have calmed down - thank God

Loved Shirley Maclaine vs Maggie Smith - i really miss that.

I wish that Matthew's mother had not come back...she bores me

It wouldn't surprise me if we jump another year. We will see...

Post #: 117
RE: Downton Abbey - 27/12/2012 10:12:14 AM   
Rinc

That was awful... again.

I liked the first series and since then I haven't liked much. So when the next series comes along I won't be watching it unless people tell me it's amazing. I've given this too much of a chance.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to princessa)
Post #: 118
RE: Downton Abbey - 27/12/2012 11:23:48 PM   
theoriginalcynic

I thought it was good. I knew he was leaving, damn paper spoiled it ages ago - he's off to Hollywood to make movies.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 119
RE: Downton Abbey - 29/12/2012 1:49:13 PM   
losthighway

Is it just me or would Jimmy still being making daggers at Thomas one year later... surely a truce would have occurred before then!?

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Downton Abbey Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI