Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Downton Abbey

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Downton Abbey Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Downton Abbey - 15/11/2010 4:04:25 PM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peppermint

The best line in that last episode was the Dowager saying "So, put that in your pipe and smoke it!"

She's so brilliant. I think the two old biddies will get on famously in the next series.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 31
RE: Downton Abbey - 15/11/2010 9:37:06 PM   
losthighway

DVD extras are apparently few but informative! I've decided to wait for the Blu Ray release... oddly not until 29th November!

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 32
RE: Downton Abbey - 26/11/2010 11:19:25 AM   
spark1

lord fellows defending 'downton'-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00wcjf9/Newsnight_23_11_2010/

(in reply to Jessica_ca_ca_ca)
Post #: 33
RE: Downton Abbey - 26/11/2010 1:21:00 PM   
HIM

I can't watch that as I'm in work but why does it need defending? It's boss. I thought it was universally praised?

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 34
RE: Downton Abbey - 26/11/2010 3:24:44 PM   
Peppermint

Apparently there were complaints because "Put that in yout pipe and smoke it" wasn't an expression in Edwardian times

"Dr Jackson's gonna die when he sees this."

"What, again?"

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 35
RE: Downton Abbey - 13/9/2011 2:24:04 PM   
demoncleaner

So Downton's back this Sunday eh?

I did become something of a begrudging fan of this back in January of this year.  Inspired by the maligned Upstairs Downstairs reprise I got into Downton, then went back into the classic ITV Upstairs from 1971.

All things considered I think you have to begrudgingly concede DA it's success.  It's better than the UD comeback (as a series it's obviously more fulsome than the twee three parter the beeb put out for Upstairs Downstairs 2010) but it owes it a profound debt.  Since the ITV pitched return of Jean Marsh and Eileen Atkins show was caught up in red tape it still inspired the executives to farm the premise (and some storylines) out to a production team that would be creatively lead by Julian Fellowes.  I didn't like the critical sniping at UD 2010 for cribbing period detail from Downton when I would go on to see the very same details eloquently pervade the 1971 show.

Now Downton series 2 is supposed to be taking the dual WW1 and domestic setting of Upstairs series 4 to lavish new heights.  In the chronology of rival shows the BBC counterpart will return in 2012, not 2011 but is dealing with the outbreak of WW2.  That gives Downton approximately ten years of compressed catch up to steal from it.

I jest, I jest.  I am a fan of DA... and am looking forward to its return...albeit begrudgingly.

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 36
RE: Downton Abbey - 15/9/2011 11:18:20 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

Yep, Downton's back and it looks like it'll be darker than the first series. I hope Thomas gets his comeuppance on the front lines

Looking forward to Maggie Smith again, she makes me laugh

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 37
RE: Downton Abbey - 15/9/2011 6:26:49 PM   
Peppermint

I wondered if this thread being bumped would get you back here Jess

Anyway, looking forward to it returning this Sunday and I also hope Thomas got his comeuppance.

"Dr Jackson's gonna die when he sees this."

"What, again?"

Post #: 38
RE: Downton Abbey - 15/9/2011 7:04:25 PM   
Hood_Man

I have to confess I really liked Downton Abbey, it's just about modern enough not to put me off the setting

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 39
RE: Downton Abbey - 15/9/2011 9:43:04 PM   
losthighway

Season 2 is already series linked... can't wait for it. Big fan of Downton!

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 40
RE: Downton Abbey - 16/9/2011 12:43:29 PM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peppermint

I wondered if this thread being bumped would get you back here Jess

Ah, hun, I never left really

Just got an email from HMV to pre-order Season 2 of Downton Abbey already. Bit eager ain't they?

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 41
RE: Downton Abbey - 18/9/2011 9:34:46 PM   
Hood_Man

Post #: 42
RE: Downton Abbey - 18/9/2011 9:54:29 PM   
Hood_Man

Is it just me or is this episode dragging a bit?

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 43
RE: Downton Abbey - 18/9/2011 9:58:15 PM   
JIm R

Lots of intrigue I thought....

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 44
RE: Downton Abbey - 18/9/2011 10:03:11 PM   
Hood_Man

Ah here we go WAR!!

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 45
RE: Downton Abbey - 24/9/2011 9:22:01 PM   
Hood_Man

I can't believe I didn't see this when it was on:

Part 1: http://youtu.be/r5dMlXentLw

Part 2: http://youtu.be/p3YYo_5rxFE

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 46
RE: Downton Abbey - 25/9/2011 6:09:39 PM   
princessa

Loved the latest ep...so good.

Thomas up to his old tricks.  I felt sorry for him in the trenches.  Matthew seems to be holding up well but only time will tell.  I want to get to know his new fiancee better.

The Irish Chauffeur trying to ask Lady Sybil out, i wonder if there'll get together?

I like the new servant.

Hurrah for Mary Doyle Kennedy as Bates? wife.  The minute she opened her mouth i knew she'd be up to no good.  Notice that the Pamuk scandal is rearing its ugly head?  So the gossip has really spread.  We all know the scandal will rare its ugly head again in a more serious way and my guess is that the Press Baron boyfriend of Lady Mary may help to get rid of the scandal once and for all - but at a price.

I felt very sorry for Anna - it was so nice the romance between her and Bates; what about Daisy and the other servant?  Glad to see them together.

My only real criticism of this ep was that i don't buy that there is no tension between Edith and Mary - too much sibling rivalary from last season.  I see trouble ahead...

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 47
RE: Downton Abbey - 25/9/2011 9:26:01 PM   
Hood_Man

"Touch Wood"

"Oh I never stop touching it"

LOL!!

(in reply to princessa)
Post #: 48
RE: Downton Abbey - 27/9/2011 9:17:40 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

Downton’s back, baby and I’ve caught up! An entertaining start to the series - all those characters you love to hate have come up with different facets that are quite shocking. I.e. O’Brien’s empathy towards Mr. Lang’s shell-shock and Thomas actually feeling…well, something. My favourite characters are leaning more and more towards the Lord and Anna (how lovely is she!) and her happy moments with Mr. Bates - kinda knew it wouldn’t last long. That Vera wife of his was such a bitch! Evil woman. Quite intrigued as to the background of Miss Swire. Smells like scandal!

As for the Dowager Countess, oh man, I love her still. Rosamund's a chip off the old block as well. My fav part was her talking to Edith (tut, tut married man) about her driving a tractor "You're not toad of toad hall!"

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 49
RE: Downton Abbey - 28/9/2011 9:09:22 AM   
princessa

Wow another good ep, where to start:

Love is still in the air i see especially between William and the other servant (can't remember her name).  I just hope no one gets hurt.  Seems to me that she is not as serious about him as he is about her.  I think her name is Daisy.

At times it did feel like a history lesson but in a good way.  Like how they show the impact of war.  The tragedies the poor cook learning her nephew was shot for cowardice; the excitement William looking forward to getting drafted to the front; and women's changin roles Lady Edith at the farm etc.

Speaking of Edith i felt for her when she heard that she was not needed at the farm anymore.  But still her and the farmer would not have worked.  Too many differences.  I actually want her to find a man.  I also want her and Mary to start bickering again.  Why are they so nice to each other all of a sudden?  I just don't buy that there is no sibling rivalary anymore.

The Crawley servant making a pass at Anna - i felt for him.

I can't believe we are already in 1917!

I see another scandal looming.  Looks like the Press Baron and Matthew's fiance have a history and he knows a secret that she wants to keep hidden.  I wonder what their history is.  Cannot wait to find out.  Also it showed a nasty side to him if Mary marries him she may regret it.  I think he is just playing nice for the moment.

Maggie Smith's character as per usual provided all the laughs.  She needs to get some sort of award.

Lastly it disturbs me how nice O'Brien is to everyone.  Downton needs a nasty character again.  Someone everyone can hate.  Even Thomas is nice he's been effected by war and i really felt for him when he broke down after that blind soldier killed himself.  He really opened up to him didn't he? 

Like i said i miss the villans and i think the programme is lacking because there are none.  I want O'Brien and Thomas to become nasty again or at least not be so nice.  We need a regular villan.  Hopefully we will see Bates wife again and I hope that the Press Baron starts to show a nastier side.

Post #: 50
RE: Downton Abbey - 2/10/2011 7:12:14 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Just caught up with this whole series in the last week.

Really like it. I called Anna and Mr Bates from season 1 episode 1, O'Brien and Thomas are bastards but I don't like how last week's episode is starting to paint them in a more sympathetic light.

I liked how in episode one of this second season Bates mentioned he wanted to open a Motel...... You can hear Julian Fellowes chuckling at the computer screen as he wrote that.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to princessa)
Post #: 51
RE: Downton Abbey - 2/10/2011 9:56:58 PM   
Hood_Man

Oh it's getting tense

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 52
RE: Downton Abbey - 2/10/2011 10:17:40 PM   
homersimpson_esq

I don't reckon William is going to be coming back from France, and then Daisy will realise she was a fool to not love him.

Branson is in danger of losing Sybil.

I wish I was half the gentleman that Mr Bates is. He's amazing.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 53
RE: Downton Abbey - 3/10/2011 12:51:25 PM   
spark1

rule no. 1- don't mess with carson.

Post #: 54
RE: Downton Abbey - 3/10/2011 10:54:41 PM   
Saltire

I dont know whether to start watching this. It certainly has a great cast and Maggie Smith is always superb and worth a watch in anything she does but not too sure if its for me. I loved the original series of Brideshead Revisited and thought the pacing of that was superb, giving you a chance to get a feel for the age and let the characters develop - is this anything like that? 

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 55
RE: Downton Abbey - 4/10/2011 1:02:31 PM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

I don't reckon William is going to be coming back from France, and then Daisy will realise she was a fool to not love him.

Branson is in danger of losing Sybil.

I wish I was half the gentleman that Mr Bates is. He's amazing.

Agree completely there. The way he said to Anna that he knows her and loves her, and there was no way she'd become a mistress was very sweet. What I don't get is how everything's hunky-dory about the divorce with Vera now. Her threats were majorly serious beforehand - so much so that Bates left without telling anyone the true story! It doesn't quite make sense to me to be honest...

Loved the fact Edith got some mention from that General fella for helping out  Felt sorta proud of her. But Branson needs a good slap.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 56
RE: Downton Abbey - 4/10/2011 1:04:15 PM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saltire

I dont know whether to start watching this. It certainly has a great cast and Maggie Smith is always superb and worth a watch in anything she does but not too sure if its for me. I loved the original series of Brideshead Revisited and thought the pacing of that was superb, giving you a chance to get a feel for the age and let the characters develop - is this anything like that? 

It's exactly like that, Saltire. For this series, I'd watch 2 episodes and you'd know whether or not it's for you. I'm really enjoying it so far  And as you said, Maggie Smith is always superb - she's on top form throughout.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 57
RE: Downton Abbey - 6/10/2011 3:11:46 PM   
Saltire

Ok thanks for the advice, I'll give it a shot

Post #: 58
RE: Downton Abbey - 8/10/2011 7:10:10 PM   
princessa

Did not enjoy last weeks ep.  What a let down.  Problem is nothing really happened.  Sure there was Branson's attempt to pure oil etc over a senior army official but apart from that it was rather staid. 

The whole Matthew and Mary thing is boring me at some point the makers will either need to get them together or keep them apart permanently.  You cannot have a series based on will they/won't they - forever.

Branson and Sybill like i've said before i just don't see the two of them together.  Besides with Branson's views would he really bother with Sybill?  They are like apples and oranges IMO.

The makers obviously have nothing for Matthews mum to do as she is now clashing with Lady Cora - but only after spending season 1 clashing with the Dowager Duchess.

I like Downton as a whole but last weeks episode made me think that the programme makers just don't know what to do with alot of the characters. 

But it's early days so we will see what happens.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 59
RE: Downton Abbey - 9/10/2011 9:49:41 PM   
Hood_Man

So Thomas is a villain again? Tea! Earl Grey! Hot!

(in reply to princessa)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Downton Abbey Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI