Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Downton Abbey

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Downton Abbey Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Downton Abbey - 27/9/2010 12:58:38 PM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

Did anyone catch the beginning of this new series on ITV last night? Maggie Smith & Hugh Bonneville star, written by Julian Fellowes and filmed in Highclere (just down the road from me!) It made quite an impressive beginning.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.
Post #: 1
RE: Downton Abbey - 27/9/2010 2:12:27 PM   
Peppermint

Yeah, I watched it. Pretty good start, I thought and the Duke and Thomas deserved each other, imo.

"Dr Jackson's gonna die when he sees this."

"What, again?"

(in reply to Jessica_ca_ca_ca)
Post #: 2
RE: Downton Abbey - 27/9/2010 3:10:14 PM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

Ugh, that Thomas was such a conniving back-stabber! Most of the servants are more like snobs than the family themselves!

Gotta love Maggie Smith though

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 3
RE: Downton Abbey - 27/9/2010 3:21:47 PM   
Fanboyslayer

Yep I'm hooked. Will fill the void left by Larkrise and Cranford for now

Just to spare peoples blushes I feel it's only right that I should point out I'm a girl people! Not in a Crying Game way in the born without a willy way. I hope that's cleared that up.

Post #: 4
RE: Downton Abbey - 27/9/2010 4:03:46 PM   
Peppermint

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jessica_ca_ca_ca

Ugh, that Thomas was such a conniving back-stabber! Most of the servants are more like snobs than the family themselves!

Gotta love Maggie Smith though

I know, she stole every scene she was in

"What, again?"

Post #: 5
RE: Downton Abbey - 27/9/2010 4:24:30 PM   
Hobbitonlass

I didn't watch this but did wonder if it was the 21st century version of Upstairs, Downstairs?

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 6
RE: Downton Abbey - 27/9/2010 4:27:54 PM   
Fletcher

Thouroughly enjoyed it. Not usually a massive fan of period dramas but I'll be tuning in again.

'Oh come on! Everybody knows this man tried to stab me through the neck, and you MISSED!....... butter fingers!'

The Bunk is strictly a suit and tie motherfucker

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 7
RE: Downton Abbey - 27/9/2010 6:02:00 PM   
Lazy wolf eyes

Have this sky plussed so looking forward to seeing it, despite the fact it's an ITV drama. 

If God had wanted us to walk everywhere he wouldn't have given us Little Chefs.

(in reply to Fletcher)
Post #: 8
RE: Downton Abbey - 27/9/2010 6:14:53 PM   
El Becks

Really enjoyed the first episode; very reminiscent of Upstairs Downstairs but with better sets. Great cast, especially, as others have said, Maggie Smith, who is wonderful in everything she does.

I fear public sector cutbacks will prevent the BBC from commissioning quality costume drama like Cranford for the forseeable future so it is good to see ITV investing in a series of this quality.

I'm hooked!

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

(in reply to Lazy wolf eyes)
Post #: 9
RE: Downton Abbey - 27/9/2010 9:31:06 PM   
HIM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

I didn't watch this but did wonder if it was the 21st century version of Upstairs, Downstairs?

Not really. It's set in 1912.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 10
RE: Downton Abbey - 28/9/2010 9:34:57 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lazy wolf eyes

Have this sky plussed so looking forward to seeing it, despite the fact it's an ITV drama. 

I'm always dubious about anything ITV does as well. I'd recommend Sky+ every week 'cause the adverts would drive you bonkers.

It's got a quality feel to it nonetheless. Sometimes I think these period dramas - with an electricity twist - are better acted than some movies.

Post #: 11
RE: Downton Abbey - 28/9/2010 12:39:08 PM   
Lazy wolf eyes

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lazy wolf eyes

I'm always dubious about anything ITV does as well. I'd recommend Sky+ every week 'cause the adverts would drive you bonkers.

It's got a quality feel to it nonetheless. Sometimes I think these period dramas - with an electricity twist - are better acted than some movies.

Watched it last night and now have it on series link. Blimey the ads were every ten minutes or so!

Really enjoyed it, was very surprised at just how good it looked too, they must have thrown a fair amount of dosh at this, and I'm very impressed!

I'm with Peppermint, Thomas and the Duke are a right pair of twats.

If God had wanted us to walk everywhere he wouldn't have given us Little Chefs.

Post #: 12
RE: Downton Abbey - 17/10/2010 11:45:16 PM   
Snake-Eyes

Michelle Dockery is SMOKIN' Hot!

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

Post #: 13
RE: Downton Abbey - 3/11/2010 10:25:22 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

Haven't updated my "opinions" over the last few episodes! Eeeck!

This is NOT what I was expecting from a period drama. I'm really enjoying it though. Loving the little tete-a-tete's from the old biddies (one of my favourites was about the Flower Show). Good ol' Maggie Smith is a wonderful force to be reckoned with.

I'm loving and hating Mary. Is she playing with his feelings or not? Every time I see Thomas and that HAG of a ladies maid I just want to throttle 'em

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 14
RE: Downton Abbey - 3/11/2010 10:58:00 AM   
losthighway

LOVING IT! The DVD is released on 15th November and i'll definately be picking it up. So pleased a second series has already been announced.

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

Post #: 15
RE: Downton Abbey - 3/11/2010 1:19:56 PM   
Peppermint

quote:

This is NOT what I was expecting from a period drama. I'm really enjoying it though. Loving the little tete-a-tete's from the old biddies (one of my favourites was about the Flower Show). Good ol' Maggie Smith is a wonderful force to be reckoned with.

I'm loving and hating Mary. Is she playing with his feelings or not? Every time I see Thomas and that HAG of a ladies maid I just want to throttle 'em

What were you expecting, Jess?

*Spoilers in case anyone has been following this, but not seen Sunday's episode yet*

I know. I don't get what Thomas and that woman's problem is with some of the other characters. I think Mary has suddenly decided she loves Matthew? is because she saw the way Sybil was looking at him and she's basically being a bitch. Still, Sybil will probably run off with Branson I thought it was amusing when Mary assumed Anthony had come to see her and then he said he was there to see Edith

"What, again?"

Post #: 16
RE: Downton Abbey - 3/11/2010 4:35:44 PM   
HIM

I absolutely love this. By far the best thing on (terrestrial) TV at the moment. Gutted that Sunday is the last episode although I'm glad it's back for a second series.

I was a bit put off when it became apparent at the start of this week's episode that the first series was set over a two year period. I never got that progression of time. It seemed to me more like a few months tops, but certainly not two years.

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 17
RE: Downton Abbey - 4/11/2010 1:16:03 PM   
spark1

quote:

ORIGINAL: losthighway

LOVING IT! The DVD is released on 15th November and i'll definately be picking it up. So pleased a second series has already been announced.

hope it has decent extras- itv drama dvds tend to skimp on them.

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 18
RE: Downton Abbey - 4/11/2010 1:52:52 PM   
Cruisecontroller

quote:

Love this show and that scene was terrific at the flower show between Penelope Wiltons (Isobel Crawley) and Maggie Smith (Dowager Countess of Granthan).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-kjE7KzokQ

It`s far from being a stuffy slow period drama. You really care about the characters, it looks terrific, great cast, script, its funny, emotionally involving with good baddies can`t ask for anything more.

< Message edited by Cruisecontroller -- 4/11/2010 2:00:21 PM >

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

Post #: 19
RE: Downton Abbey - 5/11/2010 9:25:20 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peppermint

What were you expecting, Jess?

Something different! There's a lot more biting (perhaps a bit more dry) wit in this than a normal period drama. The upstairs vs. downstairs is more intimate than I would've anticipated. Finding out the past of good ol' Carson was a nice surprise too

HIM -- the two years comment I totally agree with. I was like "huh?" when Bates said he'd been there for 2 years! Although I guess it makes more sense how he doesn't drop things all the time as a valet anymore, and also how Mary's feelings may have developed - seems a bit hot & cold otherwise (even though she is).

Oh, & so glad Edith's finally getting a chance to shine. Poor girl!

< Message edited by Jessica_ca_ca_ca -- 5/11/2010 9:26:16 AM >

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 20
RE: Downton Abbey - 10/11/2010 9:25:31 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

What. A. Bitch.

O'Brien should be shot!!! I couldn't believe it!!! How can people be so manipulative?!! Ok, ok, I know it's only a TV programme, but ugh! That ol' cow.

Well, anyway, I'm feeling pretty sorry for Edith, but I thought the emotions with Mary and Matthew were a bit over-wrought to say the least.

Post #: 21
RE: Downton Abbey - 10/11/2010 1:41:55 PM   
Cruisecontroller

quote:

What. A. Bitch.

O'Brien should be shot!!! I couldn't believe it!!! How can people be so manipulative?!! Ok, ok, I know it's only a TV programme, but ugh! That ol' cow.

Well, anyway, I'm feeling pretty sorry for Edith, but I thought the emotions with Mary and Matthew were a bit over-wrought to say the least.

Remind me whose O`Brien is it the maid who left the soap on the floor so the lady of the house would have a miscarriage?

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

Post #: 22
RE: Downton Abbey - 11/11/2010 9:33:47 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cruisecontroller

quote:

What. A. Bitch.

Remind me whose O`Brien is it the maid who left the soap on the floor so the lady of the house would have a miscarriage?

Yep, that's the one!

(in reply to Cruisecontroller)
Post #: 23
RE: Downton Abbey - 12/11/2010 12:42:16 PM   
HIM

I actually feel sorry for O'Brian. I've absolutely hated her all the way through the series but it's clear she's been manipulated by Thomas.

I'm getting rather annoyed with Mr Bates though. I really liked him at first but he's so pious and closed off that it's becoming annoying.

Anyway, great end to a great series. Cannot wait for it to return.

Post #: 24
RE: Downton Abbey - 12/11/2010 12:49:46 PM   
HIM

Oh yeah, predictions for next season?

I'm hoping the budget stretches enough to include some scenes of war and not simply see the war from the perspective of Downton Abbey exclusively. Obviously Thomas is going off to fight. Hopefully a Jerry bullet will find it's way into his head. I think Matthew will volunteer in order to get away from Downton and Mary. I can see a sort Atonement style storyline with him as the James McAvoy and as her the Keira Knightly characters. I think the chauffeur will go to war too and possibly start up a relationship via letter with Sybil. I also think Mary and Edith will start to become close.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 25
RE: Downton Abbey - 13/11/2010 5:37:07 PM   
princessa

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cruisecontroller

It`s far from being a stuffy slow period drama. You really care about the characters, it looks terrific, great cast, script, its funny, emotionally involving with good baddies can`t ask for anything more.

100% agreed.  Haven't really been following this series that much but i watched the last ep, as i was bored.  It was absolutely gripping, well acted and fantastic. 

I really like Thomas; every series needs a good villan and he is it.  IMO it is the downstairs drama that makes this series.  The servants stories are so much more interesting than the aristo's. 

As for Matthew and Mary i really am not that bothered.  I personally don't feel that they are well suited together.

Cannot wait for next year.

(in reply to Cruisecontroller)
Post #: 26
RE: Downton Abbey - 13/11/2010 11:40:31 PM   
saturn5

I'm firmly convinced this show was designed purely to please my parents, it's absolutely perfect for them

Post #: 27
RE: Downton Abbey - 15/11/2010 1:04:44 PM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIM

Oh yeah, predictions for next season?

I'm hoping the budget stretches enough to include some scenes of war and not simply see the war from the perspective of Downton Abbey exclusively. Obviously Thomas is going off to fight. Hopefully a Jerry bullet will find it's way into his head. I think Matthew will volunteer in order to get away from Downton and Mary. I can see a sort Atonement style storyline with him as the James McAvoy and as her the Keira Knightly characters. I think the chauffeur will go to war too and possibly start up a relationship via letter with Sybil. I also think Mary and Edith will start to become close.

Agree with most of that, HIM. Except for Matthew and Mary -- the more I see of them together, the more I think they're not really good for one another. I like the idea of Sybil and the chauffeur (thought she was going all "moon-eyes" over Matthew for a bit there).

Here's hoping Thomas dies as well, but he has that annoying knack of coming through anything unscathed, so I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up a General.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 28
RE: Downton Abbey - 15/11/2010 2:39:38 PM   
Fanboyslayer

quote:

Here's hoping Thomas dies as well, but he has that annoying knack of coming through anything unscathed, so I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up a General.

Yeah I don't think that's the last we've seen of him. I think it's likely he's going to be a bit of a self made man as things change after the war. Horrible character but great villan and could make for a really interesting story line.

Just to spare peoples blushes I feel it's only right that I should point out I'm a girl people! Not in a Crying Game way in the born without a willy way. I hope that's cleared that up.

Post #: 29
RE: Downton Abbey - 15/11/2010 2:51:43 PM   
Peppermint

The best line in that last episode was the Dowager saying "So, put that in your pipe and smoke it!"

"What, again?"

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Downton Abbey Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI