Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Greatest Movie Trilogies

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> The Greatest Movie Trilogies Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Greatest Movie Trilogies - 23/9/2010 10:50:25 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: Aticus - 23/9/2010 11:24:33 AM   
Gretzky

Agree with other posters here. When I voted I chose strictly trilogies so feel a bit gypped that so many other non-trilogies were included... It's not strictly a trilogy if there's more than three - it's a series - regardless of when they were made. 

~ Formerly Ash_Boomstick
Female Film Fan

Post #: 2
RE: Aticus - 23/9/2010 11:44:28 AM   
livewire

If theres more than three it's not a trilogy. i demand the following be removed

Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Terminator
Aliens
Die hard

I`ve never had a message for anyone in my entire life. Except maybe to give out my room number" - Bonn Scott 1946 – 1980

Punchdrunk - 1981 - 2010

(in reply to Gretzky)
Post #: 3
RE: - 23/9/2010 12:26:15 PM   
j8mie

It's funny because I worked my way through each page and got to number 3. I knew at that point it was going to be Star Wars and LoTR in the final two spots, but I have to admit I had them the other way round............but I'm truly thankful that people can see past all that Jedi nonsense and put the better films on top. I can't believe the Mighty Duck trilogy was in the final list or that the Matrix films were so high. Did the people who voted not see the last two films???

I do have to agree about including films that have a 4th film. If for example there was no Alien 4 then you could ignore the AvP films (as they are more of a spin off) and allow the Alien trilogy in. All the other should really have been removed from this list.

Post #: 4
RE: RE: - 23/9/2010 12:32:11 PM   
piccolo135

Brilliant feature, more so because it's quite obviously voted for by the readers.

And as for Mighty Ducks, I refuse to believe anyone that didn't enjoy that as a kid.

(in reply to j8mie)
Post #: 5
RE: - 23/9/2010 12:51:53 PM   
tommypocket

Two things proved from this feature:

1) You can count the truely great trilogies on one hand.
2) The people voting for the Matrix, Pirates and Mighty Ducks are presumably also the people who can't count to three...

"Sing it again for my pleasure."

Twitter drivel - @tommypocket
Post #: 6
RE: Since when is a trilogy 4 movies??!! - 23/9/2010 2:01:41 PM   
paulchilds

Sh**neck - you need to learn the meaning of the word trilogy.

A trilogy is not necessarily a collection of only three films. A trilogy is a story told in three parts, so if there are additional films prior to or preceeding that story, then yes there are 4/5/6 films in the 'series' but the trilogy still exists within that series.

There are 6 Star Wars films but they are split into a distinct story per trilogy - the story of Anakin and the story of Luke.

There are SIX Alien films (so far) - not four as you suggest. Alien through to Alien 3 tell a rounded story of Ripley thereby making 1-3 a trilogy. Alien Resurrection is the start of a new story (which sadly was never expanded on). AVP and AVPR are prequels to the Alien films - if a third comes out and continues to develop the Weyland Yutani storyline then that will be a separate trilogy.

Terminator is, like Star Wars, split into two trilogies (with parts 5-6 not made yet) as they tell two separate stories (Pre and Post WWIII).

I'm glad LOTR won because it, like SW 4-6 is a true trilogy. i.e. a story split into 3 parts unlike say, Die Hard or Lethal Weapon which are much more a series of separate stories linked by common characters.

However, I do agree that the Kevin Smith and Tarantino movies do not belong here.
Post #: 7
RE: WAIT A MINUTE! - 23/9/2010 2:42:59 PM   
cosmic_starfish

The Millenium trilogy does exist, just the final film hasn't been released over here yet but It was released on 27th Nov last year in Denmark, etc so I think it's a valid entry. I am ashamed to admit I've never seen Back to the Future, looking forward to the re-release next month.
Post #: 8
RE: Police Story - 23/9/2010 3:58:19 PM   
torchwood1

In reply to reinhardt76 who said the millenium trilogy is not complete I have seen all 3 films so check your facts next time
Post #: 9
RE: Really? - 23/9/2010 5:21:27 PM   
Samurai_Zoso

What's wrong with all this derision of LotR? After all the three(!) films are basically universally considered (by fans and critics alike) as masterpieces, or at least as really great and fatithful movie adaptions of Tolkien's work, nearly perfectly balancing the grand spectacle with intimate character moments. Imho the trilogy in its scope and achievement is still unsurpassed and therefore rightfully at the top fo this list.

On the other hand I'm a bit disappointed to see the Indiana Jones trilogy not being voted among the top 5. C'om, these films are, especially from today's perspective (easily forgetting/dismissing all the criticsim flung at Temple of Doom back then), the ultimate blockbusters. Pure, unaltered entertainement.
Really, they don't make them like this anymore (even Spielberg and Lucas* ain't capable of reproducing that kind of magic these days, sadly).

*And no, the SW prequels, not even the best bits of it, can't remotely compete with the original trilogy. In fact those rare occasions (almost always including Yoda) only highlight how awful the rest of the films is.

And the third Godfather installment may lack many of the ingredients that made the first two so great, but it's nowhere as bad as often claimed.

And of course there is no Matrix trilogy. Only this little, mind-boggling 1999 flick called "The Matrix".

< Message edited by Samurai_Zoso -- 23/9/2010 5:25:07 PM >
Post #: 10
RE: - 23/9/2010 9:09:11 PM   
The Todge

It's probably not worth getting too upset at this latest list given the inclusion of the Mighty Ducks proves that a lot of people weren;t taking this seriously at all.  However, some points to be raised:

There are honestly very few "great" trilogies.  Most have at least one piss weak entry, two of them by Brett Ratner.  That's why he's such a colossal prick.

It's geuinely becoming boring to read yet another thing blaming the Spider-Man 3 being piss weak on the inclusion of Venom.  He was a big problem, but nothing could have saved it.  The script was swiss cheese and hamperped by problems inherited from the previous two films..  If any series demands a reboot, it's Spider-Man

It is in my opinion, Die Hard 3 which is the worst entry.  Die Hard 2 is the only one of the sequels to follow logistically from the first one.  How is McClane suddenly back in New York, nearly alcoholic and fighting with Holly again?  And that twist that Empire noted was so great?  They give that away immediately after the set up.  I don't get it.

The Star Wars prequels are fucking durge.  It's almost impossible to watch them now after RedLetterMedia's superb deconstruction.

Finally, "When we talked to Pirates screenwriter Terry Rossio last year, he was rather irate that the philosophy and plot twists of the Disney series haven't garnered the sort of academic attention that, say, The Matrix did." Is this a fucking joke?  What a pompus idiot.  This is a series of films, based on a theme park ride.  It's supposed to be plain and simply FUN.  And failed miserably come the third entry in which they hang a kid.  Honestly.

THIS..............is God.

Post #: 11
RE: Godfather - 23/9/2010 10:45:50 PM   
norahs84

yes, you are correct!
Post #: 12
RE: Godfather - 24/9/2010 10:16:13 AM   
JIm R

Empire conviniently (once again) fucks around with it's star rating system post release to suit an arguement or to be seen to be reflecting everybody's opinion when all points of view are considered once the film is released, Phantom Menace was given four stars upon release not three.

I believe you ended the review back in '99 along the lines of 'more than we believe we ever deserved the right to expect', well let me tell you chaps, bar a light saber fight and a villian that only Drath himself eclipses it was a two star film at best.

(in reply to norahs84)
Post #: 13
RE: - 24/9/2010 12:05:34 PM   
darth silas

I knew this poll would be a joke when i saw that the gay hobbit trilogy came in at no.01.For crying out loud,people actually think those overlong,pretentious,tree walking movies are better than Back To The Future and Indy?

Besides,most of the great trilogys are no longer trilogys as they have all been extended by further episodes(Star Wars,Indy,Die Hard,and Rambo have all gotten further instalments) so shouldnt be on the list.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.
Post #: 14
RE: RE: - 24/9/2010 12:10:27 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

I knew this poll would be a joke when i saw that the gay hobbit trilogy came in at no.01.For crying out loud,people actually think those overlong,pretentious,tree walking movies are better than Back To The Future and Indy?

Besides,most of the great trilogys are no longer trilogys as they have all been extended by further episodes(Star Wars,Indy,Die Hard,and Rambo have all gotten further instalments) so shouldnt be on the list.

Yeah, clearly the LOTR series has no fans.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 15
RE: Mostly predictable!! - 24/9/2010 12:51:08 PM   
Discodez

No Three Mothers Trilogy? Charlatans

Got to agree with the LOTR detractors - they look great but are boring rubbish (like the books) the cinematic equivalent of Mogadon.
Post #: 16
RE: The Greatest Movie Trilogies - 24/9/2010 1:19:54 PM   
D-ToX

Congratulations Empire on producing a feature that ranks as up there with the best shite that Total Film runs on their website every other day.
Did I miss the small print where it said ‘best three films’ in a series rather than ‘trilogy’ in its real meaning, worst feature ever and you should be ashamed at yourselves as much as I am for wasting my time casting a vote for it.

"I said do what I say not do what I do"

http://bluraydatabase.co.uk

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 17
RE: The Greatest Movie Trilogies - 24/9/2010 2:37:44 PM   
Samurai_Zoso

Congratulations, Empire. You've proven again that your readers slow but steady seam to become stultified.

Discussing the lows and highs of such polls - and the often arguable results is one thing (and I enjoy a healthy exchange of differing opinions quite a bit), but this constant bitching* and the occasional outright hostile attitude of some users really starts getting on my nerves. I can't approve of everything Empire does of late - some lackluster features, peculiar reviews, etc. - but this immature behaviour of people who obvious have nothing better to do than use every opportunity to throw insults (if they at least would address their discontent in a more polite way), complain about anything and eveything puts me, as a longtime reader, off - more than any fishy article written by an inexperienced apprenticed ever could. *cough*

And say what you will but Empire hasn't yet failed to entertain me. Oh, and it didn't cost me that much money neither.

*As if their life depended on the definition of the word 'trilogy' or if the end of the world was near because someone messed with the rating (symbols) of a twenty year old movie.

(in reply to D-ToX)
Post #: 18
RE: Rush Hour? - 24/9/2010 3:31:23 PM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: dansator

Judging by there only being 33 trilogies in the list I'm assuming that less than 50 trilogies received a vote. So why is one of my votes, the Rush Hour trilogy, missing from the list? Was it disqualified?

Yes, disqualification comes into play when you make ridiculous requests for votes for unworthwhile films to be included into the list.
Post #: 19
RE: Mostly predictable!! - 24/9/2010 3:40:27 PM   
gazpop

quote:

ORIGINAL: Discodez

Got to agree with the LOTR detractors - they look great but are boring rubbish (like the books) the cinematic equivalent of Mogadon.

Huh? Is this guy for real? Boring rubbish? Not enough explosions or bikinis for you? You damn yourself straight to Hades for claiming the books also rubbish. They are masterpieces. Ah hell, why waste my breath. I doubt you were even able to read until well into your teens and by then were more interested in, ummm, the Smirfs?
Can people please read what someone wrote earlier about trilogies? It explains everything you moaning minnies. I refer to Paulchilds, "A trilogy is not necessarily a collection of only three films. A trilogy is a story told in three parts, so if there are additional films prior to or preceeding that story, then yes there are 4/5/6 films in the 'series' but the trilogy still exists within that series.

There are 6 Star Wars films but they are split into a distinct story per trilogy - the story of Anakin and the story of Luke.

There are SIX Alien films (so far) - not four as you suggest. Alien through to Alien 3 tell a rounded story of Ripley thereby making 1-3 a trilogy. Alien Resurrection is the start of a new story (which sadly was never expanded on). AVP and AVPR are prequels to the Alien films - if a third comes out and continues to develop the Weyland Yutani storyline then that will be a separate trilogy.

Terminator is, like Star Wars, split into two trilogies (with parts 5-6 not made yet) as they tell two separate stories (Pre and Post WWIII)"

I was actually shocked, I even shouted out loud (which scared some of the people in my shop) that LOTR came in before Star Wars. But I have to hope that it's down to a certain age of the voters. LOTR was indeed a Star Wars moment for a newer generation so I guess I have to eccept it (idiots )
Where was Lethal Weapon and Jurassic Park then?

Oh, and once more because he deserves it, Discodez you have no soul!!

Yeah, that's real fine expensive gear you brought out here, Mr. Hooper.'Course I don't know what that bastard shark's gonna do with it-might eat it I suppose. Seen one eat a rockin' chair one time. Hey chieffy, next time you just ask me which line to pull

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 20
RE: Rush Hour? - 24/9/2010 3:55:40 PM   
dansator

quote:

ORIGINAL: JIm R

Yes, disqualification comes into play when you make ridiculous requests for votes for unworthwhile films to be included into the list.

I don't see any "unworthwhile" films in the list, if you're talking about quality. Maybe I'm peeved by certain trilogies being so high in the list because I don't like them, but people have different tastes, and I respect that. The only ground I see for disqualification is if a trilogy doesn't qualify as a "trilogy". This would be if there are less or more than three films, or if the three films in some way don't build a cohesive unit.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 21
RE: RE: - 24/9/2010 6:06:57 PM   
paul_ie86

quote:

ORIGINAL: j8mie

It's funny because I worked my way through each page and got to number 3.

I knew when I got to number 33 that those two were going to be top

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to j8mie)
Post #: 22
RE: Aticus - 28/9/2010 2:16:43 PM   
Cruisecontroller

quote:

ORIGINAL: livewire

If theres more than three it's not a trilogy. i demand the following be removed

Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Terminator
Aliens
Die hard

Agreed!

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

(in reply to livewire)
Post #: 23
RE: Mostly predictable!! - 28/9/2010 2:25:21 PM   
Cruisecontroller

quote:

ORIGINAL: gazpop

quote:

ORIGINAL: Discodez

Huh? Is this guy for real? Boring rubbish? Not enough explosions or bikinis for you? You damn yourself straight to Hades for claiming the books also rubbish. They are masterpieces. Ah hell, why waste my breath. I doubt you were even able to read until well into your teens and by then were more interested in, ummm, the Smirfs?
Can people please read what someone wrote earlier about trilogies? It explains everything you moaning minnies. I refer to Paulchilds, "A trilogy is not necessarily a collection of only three films. A trilogy is a story told in three parts, so if there are additional films prior to or preceeding that story, then yes there are 4/5/6 films in the 'series' but the trilogy still exists within that series.

Terminator is, like Star Wars, split into two trilogies (with parts 5-6 not made yet) as they tell two separate stories (Pre and Post WWIII)"

I was actually shocked, I even shouted out loud (which scared some of the people in my shop) that LOTR came in before Star Wars. But I have to hope that it's down to a certain age of the voters. LOTR was indeed a Star Wars moment for a newer generation so I guess I have to eccept it (idiots )
Where was Lethal Weapon and Jurassic Park then?

Oh, and once more because he deserves it, Discodez you have no soul!!

Ok I take it back you have some valid points there.

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 24
RE: Overknight... - 29/9/2010 1:17:21 AM   
girl_interupted

C'mon guys its just a bit of  fun isnt it?   I personally would of had the vengence, indiana jones and Alien trilogies higher up in this list so its surprising how some of these have been voted for by so many people. 

http://dustinmydress.tumblr.com/

@dustinmydress
Post #: 25
RE: Overknight... - 29/9/2010 1:28:19 PM   
gazpop

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mopictures

Will be interesting how these type of polls will change when Nolan delivers his third and last Batman film.

I hope it'll be epic but it aint gonna challenge the high enders I don't think.

Yeah, that's real fine expensive gear you brought out here, Mr. Hooper.'Course I don't know what that bastard shark's gonna do with it-might eat it I suppose. Seen one eat a rockin' chair one time. Hey chieffy, next time you just ask me which line to pull
Post #: 26
RE: Overknight... - 5/10/2010 11:28:24 PM   
SamSolo

I agree, given the hype about Nolan at the minute, he is virtually assured a top ten place in this poll. Not that I am saying for one moment that it wouldn't be deserved.

C.J.: They sent me two turkeys. The most photo-friendly of the two gets a Presidential pardon and a full life at a childrens zoo. The runner-up gets eaten.
BARTLET: If the Oscars were like that, Id watch.

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 27
Prequels - 24/10/2010 8:53:21 AM   
Superzone

Glad to see the Star Wars prequels get some love here. I will always defend those films. People make them out to be these horrible abominations of filmmaking, but they're actually pretty damn good.

Post #: 28
Top 2 - 24/10/2010 9:16:54 AM   
Superzone

Hard to disagree with Star Wars and LotR as the top two.

Post #: 29
The Matrix Trilogy - 31/10/2010 6:41:31 AM   
TheAmazingOctopus

Surely Reloaded is far more superior to Revolutions? Yes, it did have a rave, but it also had the burly brawl and the motorway scene. Revolutions had an anti-climatic ending and a needless Trinity death scene (why not just let her die in Reloaded).

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> The Greatest Movie Trilogies Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI