Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: "A new and aggressive atheism"

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 16/9/2010 9:35:12 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: demoncleaner

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

As a state visit I am just wondering when matters of state such as trade and immigration etc are going to be discussed. If they are I have no problems with the tax payer paying for those times. Now if all he is doing is promoting his religion then that is another matter.

Well, there's his movie too, and he might plug the Dizzy Rascal colloboration.  But if he doesn't mention any of those I'm betting he defaults to the 'oul "promoting of his religion" thing.  He's Head of State to a square acre of penguins, I don't think there's a lot of trade and/or immigration that goes on there.     

There won't be a lot of discussion about the state then which does kind of invalidate the state visit thing then

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 91
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 16/9/2010 9:35:40 PM   
directorscut

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felix

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: DJ Satan

Because the Catholic Church is such a force for good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Relief_Services
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Charities
http://dir.yahoo.com/society_and_culture/religion_and_spirituality/faiths_and_practices/christianity/denominations_and_sects/catholic/organizations/charities/

Yeah DJ, dont criticise the Catholic church, after all, they're spreading their wealth around great nowadays...

http://news.scotsman.com/abuseinthecatholicchurch/Catholic-church-in-LA-to.3304467.jp

And? 

Do you call the entire human race a pool of scum because we've produced murderers and rapists?  No one is denying wrongs have been committed in the Church but to deny that they have done a lot of good work that have helped millions of people is complete crap.

I think it is more that the wrong which has been done has been perpetuated with the assistance of those very high up in the church (with suggestions that Ratzinger himself had a hand in covering aspects of it up). This allowed those who had committed atrocious acts to carry on doing so with impunity in other areas. this suggests that those in power within the church felt that the good image of the church was more important to them than the protecting the congregation from the terrible acts which were being committed by so very many of their priests. If correct this is a disgusting thing and taints any good they have done.

I have no sympathy or respect for those in power who covered up those atrociousities or the people who committed, but the vast majority of the Church have nothing to do with that and are trying to good jobs and help people.  The priests in my parish have nothing do to with it and have done a lot of visible good in the community and for charity.  It's shameful that people like that are tarred with the same brush. Again, similar to us calling all of humanity scum because there is a small percentage of murderers out there. 

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 92
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 16/9/2010 9:38:10 PM   
sanchia

However if those in power thought that the good image of the church is more important than the protection of the abused innocents thaen until such time as all of those involved are removed from power there shall be a connection with the entire church. The fact that there appears to still be attempts to stop and hinder investigations isn't helping either.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 93
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 16/9/2010 9:39:32 PM   
DJ Satan

quote:

quote:

Because the Catholic Church is such a force for good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Relief_Services
quote:

The institutional church continually lobbies governments to exclude condom promotion from development aid, and the impact of the Vatican's stance on condom use is far reaching and perilous. The bishops' efforts have not been limited to the global South. In 2008, the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops successfully used its lobbying power on Capitol Hill to remove family planning from the President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR). Provisions in the final PEPFAR bill not only allow faith-based groups to abstain from distributing condoms, but also to refrain from providing referrals to agencies that do. Catholic Relief Services is one of the top recipients of PEPFAR funding: $103 million in 2007. Through its far-reaching programs, the Catholic church has been able impose its myopic anti-condom stance on those countries most affected by the HIV epidemic.http://www.thebody.com/content/art56480.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Charities
quote:

In 2006, Archbishop Sean P. O'Malley and leaders of Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Boston announced that the agency would terminate its adoption work, rather than comply with long-standing state law prohibiting discrimination against gays. The Archdiocese had petitioned then governor Mitt Romney earlier that year for an exemption to the law (which he had no power to grant) and also considered a court challenge before ultimately abandoning the idea. [9] A similar situation arose in Washington DC in November 2009 around a proposed same-sex marriage law, with Catholic Charities saying they would withdraw from their social services contracts with the city if it was implemented.[10] The charity eventually decided to stop offering benefits to its married employees rather than provide them for married same-sex couples.

Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head cause you know that I'm right..alright!

Post #: 94
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 16/9/2010 9:42:19 PM   
JessFranco

quote:

quote:

quote:

As a state visit I am just wondering when matters of state such as trade and immigration etc are going to be discussed. If they are I have no problems with the tax payer paying for those times. Now if all he is doing is promoting his religion then that is another matter.

Well, there's his movie too, and he might plug the Dizzy Rascal colloboration.  But if he doesn't mention any of those I'm betting he defaults to the 'oul "promoting of his religion" thing.  He's Head of State to a square acre of penguins, I don't think there's a lot of trade and/or immigration that goes on there.     

There won't be a lot of discussion about the state then which does kind of invalidate the state visit thing then

If the 'state' is the Holy See, rather than the physical Vatican, there'll probably be enough to discuss.

Even the French know better than to fuck with me

http://closer-to-perfection.tumblr.com/

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 95
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 16/9/2010 9:44:43 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: JessFranco

quote:

quote:

quote:

If the 'state' is the Holy See, rather than the physical Vatican, there'll probably be enough to discuss.

If that is correct then all heads of all religions should be afforded the same status.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to JessFranco)
Post #: 96
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 16/9/2010 9:51:10 PM   
JessFranco

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

If that is correct then all heads of all religions should be afforded the same status.

Possibly, but there aren't that many religions with designated heads in the same manner. With the exception of the Dalai Lama, who's pretty well treated wherever he visits, i can't think of many.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 97
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 16/9/2010 9:56:18 PM   
DJ Satan

quote:

I have no sympathy or respect for those in power who covered up those atrociousities or the people who committed, but the vast majority of the Church have nothing to do with that and are trying to good jobs and help people.  The priests in my parish have nothing do to with it and have done a lot of visible good in the community and for charity.  It's shameful that people like that are tarred with the same brush. Again, similar to us calling all of humanity scum because there is a small percentage of murderers out there. 

You don't have to be religious to be part of a service organisation and do good in the world.
http://www.lionsclubs.org/EN/index.php

So don't join the club that breaches hatred of homosexuals, heavy metal, and condom users, and supports the rape of children,  when their are plenty of alternatives out there.

Post #: 98
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 16/9/2010 9:57:50 PM   
daemonic

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Possibly, but there aren't that many religions with designated heads in the same manner. With the exception of the Dalai Lama, who's pretty well treated wherever he visits, i can't think of many.

Church of England? Head of the church = The Queen - who also happens to be the head of state.

Vatican City is classed as a country/ state in it's own right (can't remember all of the reasons but i do kow that one is because it has it's own independant postal service) with Benedict being the head of that particular state.

(in reply to JessFranco)
Post #: 99
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 16/9/2010 9:59:44 PM   
Felix

quote:

ORIGINAL: daemonic

Vatican City is classed as a country/ state in it's own right (can't remember all of the reasons but i do kow that one is because it has it's own independant postal service) with Benedict being the head of that particular state.

Because it came to an agreement with the then fascist Italian government in 1929 to be declared a state.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to daemonic)
Post #: 100
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 16/9/2010 10:10:29 PM   
JessFranco

The Lateran treaty doesn't really carry much weight outside of Italy. As with pretty much all other states, the Vatican is considered sovereign because everyone else treats it as such. Its independence from Italy might have been awarded by Mussolini but it wouldn't have made much of a difference if the rest of the world hadn't effectively ratified its position. It doesn't have ambassadors and the Pope doesn't make official state visits in his capacity as Head of State though. 

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 101
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 16/9/2010 10:14:27 PM   
Jar Jar Gabor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jar Jar Gabor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

I went to a Catholic church once and spent most of the service checking out the brunette two rows in front.

What does that make me?

That depends. How old was he?

<zing!>

Boooom!

She was about 25 and I'm fairly certain she was sat with her newborn baby and husband.

I'm a bad man.

Wait. They weren't sat very still in a kind of stable thing with cardboard sheep and cows all around them were they?

Because I think you might have got the horn from a plastic effigy of Jesus' mum. And that's all kinds of wrong.

"My mother did throw me against a brick wall when I was an infant. I didn't get hurt at all. I've mentioned it to her a couple of times. She said I was a little prick."

DVD's wot I own.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 102
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 16/9/2010 10:16:43 PM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

You don't have to be religious to be part of a service organisation and do good in the world.
http://www.lionsclubs.org/EN/index.php

So don't join the club that breaches hatred of homosexuals, heavy metal, and condom users, and supports the rape of children,  when their are plenty of alternatives out there.

Wait, wait, why are you still considering most of the members of the Catholic Religion as agreeing with the Heads of the Church? Because I assure you, they don't. And the reason they belong to the Catholic Religion is not becuase it is a club but becuase they actually feel that the religion and some of its teachings are actually vital to their lives.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 103
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 17/9/2010 2:06:23 AM   
chilipenguin

Really? That one branch of one religion? They choose the one with all the crazy condom/paedophilia issues that come with it when they could choose one that has exactly the same teachings (i.e. be fucking nice) without quite as much baggage? If you are brought up Catholic (as I was) fair enough, do your thing, but at least question it. Ask why it makes more sense to believe in the Catholic God (and as a result the Pope and everything on that side of things) over the Protestant God. I know they are one and the same (if imaginary ) but realistically you are choosing one management style over another.

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

New short story/portfolio blog online HERE

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 104
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 17/9/2010 2:58:10 AM   
hellsangel66

I was raised a Roman Catholic, but now consider myself to be an atheist. I have problems with organised religions telling me what I should do, say or how I should act.  It is my life and I will live it as I please.  I also believe in freedom of choice, which is why I let my daughter choose for herself if she wished to join a church.  She decided to do so and was baptised this year.  The only thing I have ever asked of her in this respect is that she does not shove her beliefs down my throat and she respects that as I respect her choice to go to church.  BTW she is Church of Scotland, not Catholic.

With regard to the child abuse scandal that has engulfed the Catholic Church,  the Pope should make it clear that there will be zero tolerance and no cover ups in this regard. And that should include anything of that nature revealed by a priest during confession.  I'm sorry but I don't think a penance of 10 Our Fathers and being told to go away and don't do it anymore quite covers it, do you?

I am extraordinary. I am your ordinary everyday psycho sane supergoddess

(in reply to chilipenguin)
Post #: 105
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 17/9/2010 4:05:25 AM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: chilipenguin

Really? That one branch of one religion? They choose the one with all the crazy condom/paedophilia issues that come with it when they could choose one that has exactly the same teachings (i.e. be fucking nice) without quite as much baggage? If you are brought up Catholic (as I was) fair enough, do your thing, but at least question it. Ask why it makes more sense to believe in the Catholic God (and as a result the Pope and everything on that side of things) over the Protestant God. I know they are one and the same (if imaginary ) but realistically you are choosing one management style over another.

Yeah, they tend to ignore the bullshit like the condom issues and condemn the horrible pedophilia issues (that is from people I know at least) that the higher power has and focus on the positive, and this counts for some priests as well in the institution. And they do question it and it is hurtful when the Vatican acts so horribly, so lets not act presumptuous here. Here it is pretty much a cultural thing and a communal thing, so please don't lump them with the same people who are responsible for this craziness and crime. Most of them have done good and are good people.

Oh and by the way, I am not Catholic and don't belong to any religious institution, but I have good friends who are, and comments like those are a bit annoying.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to chilipenguin)
Post #: 106
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 17/9/2010 7:20:22 AM   
sanchia

I am curious why those who wish to see the Pope giving a sermon have to pay for the privilege? It's not cheap at £25 a pop and doesn't show a lot of respect to them. I understand the need to ticket but surely as a member of the religion free tickets would be more respectful to them rather than the pimping of the Pope which is going on.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 107
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 17/9/2010 8:03:28 AM   
Keyser Sozzled

There seems to be an undertone to some posts here. The sneering attitude of "Well you a Catholic, and the Church has done shitty things but you haven't left soe that makes you complicit".

Not sure if I like where this is going to be honest. I am a Catholic albeit non practising and when I read commets sucha s this...

quote:

I am inclined to tell certain posters to fuck off because teh insiuation is clearly that my part in the "club" somehow means I condone the actions of a group of old white celibate men whose actions having nothing to do with actual faith but all to to with the fact that that are child molesters.

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 108
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 17/9/2010 8:54:50 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebenectomy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

To be honest I'm watching the coverage with a slightly morbid curiosity of there being a protest or two. Flour bombing the Pope!

Food colouring and water in a super soaker is the way to go, you'd never get close enough to flour bomb.

Oh come on now - surely given his papal name, there's a much more appropriate missile:

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 109
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 17/9/2010 8:56:25 AM   
Funkyrae

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keyser Sozzled

There seems to be an undertone to some posts here. The sneering attitude of "Well you a Catholic, and the Church has done shitty things but you haven't left soe that makes you complicit".

Not sure if I like where this is going to be honest. I am a Catholic albeit non practising and when I read commets sucha s this...

quote:

I am inclined to tell certain posters to fuck off because teh insiuation is clearly that my part in the "club" somehow means I condone the actions of a group of old white celibate men whose actions having nothing to do with actual faith but all to to with the fact that that are child molesters.

That's a very fair point Keys and I don't think I could blame you if you did. However I don't think anybody here is attacking the individual and their faith.

That's me that is!

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 110
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 17/9/2010 9:39:35 AM   
elab49

But doesn't that take it back to the great schisms of the past? They loathed the corruption of the institution. They could do nothing about it but felt to stay in it effectively condoned it. So - change, move, create a place to worship without that taint.

If you love your faith but don't condone the institution, either raise voices and change the institution or go somewhere else where you can worship as your faith demands - are there not plenty of other options out there?

Do most worshippers actually have considered views on transubstantiation etc anyway - or is it just that most have been brought up to believe one or other way is the true way and that belief has stuck without actually thinking through it? The catholic kids I knew never thought through it - but a lot of them were just told protestants were bad and going to hell and didn't actually know the theological differences anyway. Catholic schools in the West of Scotland preferred the fire and brimstone touch when I was a kid. (IMO Brookmyre had that spot on in A Tale Told....). One of my closest friends only really read up on it when she discovered men and sex and when she was going to move in with someone (non-catholic) her canon went absolutely bananas on the sins she was committing.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 111
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 17/9/2010 10:10:22 AM   
LEEJGM

Apparently the protests in Scotland were very small.  I'm hoping they're a lot bigger today in London.  I wouldn't want to see trouble but I just feel that there are real issues (mentioned in this here thread) warrent big protests.

I have joked about aiming the laser of my disto at the Popemobile (red dot like what you see snipers use) from about a few hundred metres away (if I can find a high building) to see the security go mental.  Obviously that would be stupid....and anyway, I'll be at work so I won't be doing it.

< Message edited by LEEJGM -- 17/9/2010 10:19:11 AM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 112
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 17/9/2010 11:38:07 AM   
Fanboyslayer

I'm a practicing Catholic so I'd just like to say

1. I don't think the Pope is infallible.
2. Don't really think about the Pope in my general worship nor does it come up much in my church community
3. I pay taxes too
4. I also put my money in me little envelope to go towards the cost of the visit
5. I'm not going to see him but I would of quite liked to if for no other reason than for the experience of such a visit
6. I don't like child rapists
7. I don't think everyone who was made to join the Hitler Youth is actually a Nazi
8. I think Aids is not nice
9. Not experienced anything negative from the church because I'm female
10. I like rock music although I do think Axel Rose is demonic
11. No problem with gay people part from bitchy queeny gay men they annoy me

Not sure if that helps.

Just to spare peoples blushes I feel it's only right that I should point out I'm a girl people! Not in a Crying Game way in the born without a willy way. I hope that's cleared that up.

(in reply to LEEJGM)
Post #: 113
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 17/9/2010 11:40:21 AM   
Felix

Can I ask why are you Catholic if you go against so many points of the religion?

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to Fanboyslayer)
Post #: 114
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 17/9/2010 11:45:21 AM   
elab49

Only in as much as no-one is being asked to justify their faith.

But given the place of the Pope in the catholic church, how can he not be part of any church communion that's part of it? He and his colleagues make decisions on your worship - tell you what is acceptable and what is not and, if you don't accept that, I don't think they consider you part of the catholic church. They have the power to exclude from that church those who don't abide by what they say.

If you're part of that church aren't you accepting the institution and the head of the institution? At least in government we get some say at elections, we can join parties and have a say on who is put forward for election, we can go to conference and argue for policy.

Obviously no normal worshipper in the catholic church is pro-child abuse. But what are they doing to change the church and the central structures protection of those who commit it? Because that is done in the name of your church.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 115
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 17/9/2010 11:45:29 AM   
DJ Satan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fanboyslayer

4. I also put my money in me little envelope to go towards the cost of the visit

So you're happy to pay money to support him and endorse what he stands for?

Post #: 116
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 17/9/2010 11:53:27 AM   
Fanboyslayer

quote:

quote:

Well I'm damn if I do damn if I don't. If I don't pay out of my own pocket and not just my taxes I'm taking some kind of liberty with public money and if I do I'm supporting all the horrible things that have been done in the name of catholicism and by individual people that proclaim themselves to be catholic etc etc . I felt I should so I did.

Just to spare peoples blushes I feel it's only right that I should point out I'm a girl people! Not in a Crying Game way in the born without a willy way. I hope that's cleared that up.

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 117
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 17/9/2010 11:58:53 AM   
Fanboyslayer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felix

Can I ask why are you Catholic if you go against so many points of the religion?

A million reasons but one main one which is because I am happy to be part of my church community. Again damn either way. If I am part of a church that has views which I don't always agree with I shouldn't be part of it but then it's down to the community of the church to help change these things. I make no secret of my views and my fellow Catholics accept me with no arguement always strange that those outside the church are more hard line.

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 118
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 17/9/2010 12:06:28 PM   
DJ Satan

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well I'm damn if I do damn if I don't. If I don't pay out of my own pocket and not just my taxes I'm taking some kind of liberty with public money and if I do I'm supporting all the horrible things that have been done in the name of catholicism and by individual people that proclaim themselves to be catholic etc etc . I felt I should so I did.

There is a third option: Don't be such a hypocrite. Nobody is attacking Catholics for the state paying for the visit as you, like the rest of us have had no choice. But don't say you disagree with him but still choose to voluntarily give him money to support his organisation.

Post #: 119
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 17/9/2010 12:11:48 PM   
jonson

Fanboyslayer - you're wasting your fucking time, honestly.
Like all Muslims are terrorists, all Catholics are Paedos. Everyone knows that.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI