Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: "A new and aggressive atheism"

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 16/9/2010 12:08:55 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

What I have a problem with is the fact that we, the taxpayers, have to stump up for the supposed honour.

I second that.

With the state of the country's current economy I'm intrigued to know where the cash is being pulled from for this glorified holiday. Out of our pockets presumably...

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 31
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 16/9/2010 12:13:25 PM   
paul.mccluskey

It was originally £13 million, then it was £15 million. What's the extra £2 million for?

My DVD Collection

Do not walk away in silence...

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 32
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 16/9/2010 12:13:57 PM   
Funkyrae

Laying on extra McDonalds to prove we're not a Third World country presumably.

That's me that is!

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 33
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 16/9/2010 12:14:30 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul.mccluskey

It was originally £13 million, then it was £15 million. What's the extra £2 million for?

Brothels and a Bentley. Who knows?

Where's he actually going on this little shindig anyway?

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

Post #: 34
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 16/9/2010 12:21:19 PM   
DJ Satan

Pot calling kettle black:
quote:

Reacting to the first remarks of the Pope on his state visit, the British Humanist Association has expressed its disappointment. 'The notion that it was the atheism of Nazis that led to their extremist and hateful views or that somehow fuels intolerance in Britain today is a terrible libel against those who do not believe in god. The notion that it is non-religious people in the UK today who want to force their views on others, coming from a man whose organisation exerts itself internationally to impose its narrow and exclusive form of morality and undermine the human rights of women, children, gay people and many others, is surreal.'

Did the nazi-pope just compare athiests to nazis?

Edit: Found it: http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news/2010/09/16/papal-visit-2010-popes-holyroodhouse-speech-full-text/
quote:

Even in our own lifetime, we can recall how Britain and her leaders stood against a Nazi tyranny that wished to eradicate God from society and denied our common humanity to many, especially the Jews, who were thought unfit to live. I also recall the regime’s attitude to Christian pastors and religious who spoke the truth in love, opposed the Nazis and paid for that opposition with their lives. As we reflect on the sobering lessons of the atheist extremism of the twentieth century, let us never forget how the exclusion of God, religion and virtue from public life leads ultimately to a truncated vision of man and of society and thus to a “reductive vision of the person and his destiny”

< Message edited by DJ Satan -- 16/9/2010 12:32:07 PM >

Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head cause you know that I'm right..alright!

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 35
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 16/9/2010 12:22:01 PM   
paul.mccluskey

He's left Holyrood now and is going to Cardinal O'Briend's house for his dinner, where, it's been revealed by the BBC, that he will have a traditional Scottish dinner of haggis, neaps and tatties. I expected something more posh!

He will then travel from Edinburgh to Glasgow, where he will perform a mass at Bellahouston Park at 5 o'clock. Tomorrow, he travels to England, where he will visit St Mary's University College at Twickenham, before performing a Mass at Westminster Abbey. On Saturday, he will perform Mass at Westminster Cathedral and a Prayer Vigil at Hyde Park, then on Sunday, he will celebrate a Mass beatification of Cardinal John Henry Newman at Cofton Park in Birmingham.

My DVD Collection

Do not walk away in silence...

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 36
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 16/9/2010 12:31:37 PM   
JessFranco

The taxpayer is coming up with 10 million, the rest is being funded by the church. Officially, the state portion relates to the fact that it's a state visit - they'd pay for Obama or Hu or Berlusconi - so they have to pay for the Pope in his capacity as the Vatican's head of state. The explicitly religious bits are paid for by the church. It's obviously a bit of a false divide, as he's here in a religious capacity, but it's protocol. The question isn't why he the UK is paying for it, it's why he was invited.

Ultimately, whether it provides 'good value' is impossible to judge. If millions of British Catholics / taxpayers turn out to see him, it'll arguably have been worthwhile. If they don't, it'll look like a waste of money to many.

It's a bit of a shame that the first official state visit of a Pope to the UK had to be this one, rather than someone less objectionable, but it'll be an important event for many and has also provided his critics, both Catholic and secular, with a media platform to air their views.

Even the French know better than to fuck with me

http://closer-to-perfection.tumblr.com/

Post #: 37
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 16/9/2010 12:37:28 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

Oh the irony - kinda like going to Lourdes only to drown in the grotto

My daughter went to Lourdes this year with the school (a Catholic school) and they spent 3 days looking after elderly and infirm people. She came back full of love and enthusiasm. Despite not coming from a Catholic home this was our first experience of this kind of thing and I thought it was utterly superb and every child should be encouraged to do it.

Personally I have big issues with the Catholic faith, but I have bigger issues with Atheists. Smug bastards most of them, and I don't disagree with the comments about "agressive atheists"
Atheists IMO are the new non-smokers, the people who look down their noses on religion and faith and can only comment on paedophilia or the vast wealth without even bothering to look at the good that arises from "having faith" (which sounds better than "being religious") Because they think they can explain everything with science and that twattishly dull keyboard player from D-Ream, any kind of religion is scorned and dismissed.
That said, the money spent on bringing the old Nazi over is quite obscene, but while there are clearly more Catholics in the country than Atheists, and clearly more "good" Catholics than "bad" ones I'm happy to not give a fuck.
Despite this post.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 38
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 16/9/2010 12:49:22 PM   
DJ Satan

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson
Atheists IMO are the new non-smokers, the people who look down their noses on religion and faith and can only comment on paedophilia or the vast wealth without even bothering to look at the good that arises from "having faith" (which sounds better than "being religious")

That view point implies that you can't do good unless you're told to by you religion. But by following religion it can make many normally good people do bad things they probably wouldn't do unless told.

Humanism says everyone should be loved equally. Most religions say that everyone should be loved, unless we don't like them.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 39
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 16/9/2010 12:50:36 PM   
DJ Satan

C of E vs the Catholic Church

FIGHT!!!

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 40
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 16/9/2010 12:59:46 PM   
Felix

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

Oh the irony - kinda like going to Lourdes only to drown in the grotto

My daughter went to Lourdes this year with the school (a Catholic school) and they spent 3 days looking after elderly and infirm people. She came back full of love and enthusiasm. Despite not coming from a Catholic home this was our first experience of this kind of thing and I thought it was utterly superb and every child should be encouraged to do it.

Personally I have big issues with the Catholic faith, but I have bigger issues with Atheists. Smug bastards most of them, and I don't disagree with the comments about "agressive atheists"
Atheists IMO are the new non-smokers, the people who look down their noses on religion and faith and can only comment on paedophilia or the vast wealth without even bothering to look at the good that arises from "having faith" (which sounds better than "being religious") Because they think they can explain everything with science and that twattishly dull keyboard player from D-Ream, any kind of religion is scorned and dismissed.
That said, the money spent on bringing the old Nazi over is quite obscene, but while there are clearly more Catholics in the country than Atheists, and clearly more "good" Catholics than "bad" ones I'm happy to not give a fuck.
Despite this post.

You're just happy this pope's a bloke, not like that Joan mishap when you were younger...

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 41
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 16/9/2010 1:17:53 PM   
Deviation

Jonson, please tell us, how was the universe created? I was told you were there when it did.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 42
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 16/9/2010 1:18:38 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

Atheists IMO are the new non-smokers, the people who look down their noses on religion and faith and can only comment on paedophilia or the vast wealth without even bothering to look at the good that arises from "having faith" (which sounds better than "being religious")

What DJ Satan said. Just because you're an atheist or an agnostic doesn't mean you can't have faith. It's not impossible to have faith in humanity and not have faith in an omniscient, omnipresent deity - it's not like the two are inextricably linked.

quote:

Because they think they can explain everything with science

That's wrong. Any atheist worth their salt will tell you that obviously we can't explain everything with science yet; just because one does not believe in metaphysical deities whose perfection can't stop them from constructing a planet full of contradictions and flaws, doesn't mean that they immediately believe science answers all in the here and now. Obviously there are some disproportionately loud fringe elements in atheism, but show me a religion that doesn't.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 43
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 16/9/2010 1:19:24 PM   
DancingClown

Here - Stephen Fry responds to today's Mail headline:

http://www.stephenfry.com/2010/09/16/dailymailhate/

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 44
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 16/9/2010 1:19:33 PM   
Harry Lime

[aggression] Piss off, Jonson, you paedo-sympathising, woman-hating, AIDS spreading mook! [/aggression]

I'm sorry mate, but the idea of "agressive atheism" is absolutely hysterical coming from the mouths of an organisation that, in its desire to spread the word of God, has given us the crusades, the inquisition and forced conversion as well as riding the bloody wave of colonisalism with missionaries in Africa, Asia and South America in an effort to increase its numbers. You come back to me when atheism gets that agressive, Jonson.

Religious organisations have had thousands of years brutalising and terrorising the common man into following their own self-serving (and rather lucrative) doctrines with impunity. An Oxford professor writes a book questioning God's existence and a few sharp-witted comedians belittle faith on TV and all of a sudden atheism is agressive? Fuck right off.

And that's without touching on The Catholic Church's complicity with the Nazi's in dealing with the Jews and Roma gypsies in the Balkans during WWII. Which makes that bigoted, morally gutless former Hitler Youth cunt's comments today all the more disgraceful.

"People think I have an interesting walk. Hell, I'm just trying to hold my gut in."

If I get there early will it be the right time
our heaven is just waiting so put your hand into mine.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 45
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 16/9/2010 1:43:40 PM   
Felix

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Lime

Which makes that bigoted, morally gutless former Hitler Youth cunt's comments today all the more disgraceful.

Sorry to quote it when its right above me, but thats the funniest (and most completely spot on) thing ive read today.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 46
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 16/9/2010 1:44:09 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

One of the worst things about the Catholic church is the way they encourage abstinence over the use of condoms in Africa where AIDs is such a problem.

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 47
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 16/9/2010 1:51:49 PM   
DJ Satan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

One of the worst things about the Catholic church is the way they encourage abstinence over the use of condoms in Africa where AIDs is such a problem.

They don't just encourage abstinence, they actually say that condoms have holes in them that encourages the spread of AIDS and should never be used at all.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 48
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 16/9/2010 1:51:59 PM   
LEEJGM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felix

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Lime

Which makes that bigoted, morally gutless former Hitler Youth cunt's comments today all the more disgraceful.

Sorry to quote it when its right above me, but thats the funniest (and most completely spot on) thing ive read today.

I totally agree.  I laughed and spat hot coffee out through my nose (I blame the Pope for that too).
I've always like Harry's posts but that is probably the finest line from anything I've ever read on this forum.  

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 49
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 16/9/2010 1:52:29 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

Thank fuck I married a catholic.

Anyway, ignoring the dribblings of the old man, isn't aggressive atheism, nihilism...?

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 50
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 16/9/2010 1:53:21 PM   
crimond

quote:

This was the also the opinion of Pope John Paul II yet people want him to be classed as a 'saint'.

I have to say I feel sorry for the priests who do good/valued work in their communities who are let down and tarred with the same brush by a 'managment' of gutless old men who's views on right and wrong are atrocious.  Putting the needs of the church ahead of vulnerable children has blighted the Catholic church forever, and rightly so.

I also wish that the Queen had turned down the invite and not provided a royal residence for the Pope to present his political speech.  Although I doubt she had much say on the matter.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 51
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 16/9/2010 1:59:59 PM   
chilipenguin

I doubt that most people (especially in Scotland) give two shits that the Queen gave him her blessing. She is a non-entity in my book. It's bad enough that he was here in the first place.

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

New short story/portfolio blog online HERE

(in reply to crimond)
Post #: 52
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 16/9/2010 2:02:54 PM   
DJ Satan

I'm listening to the Johann Hari interview on radio 4 from last night. (10 minutes in: link)

Apparently they have sold about 120000 tickets for two open air speeches. Muse sold more than that for 2 nights at Wembley. I can't see the government giving them £20 mllion for it.

Best bit:
Hari: "Ratzinger covered up the rape of 200 deaf and mute children by a priest"
Priest: "I think you took that out of context".

How can you take the rape of 200 children out of context?

(in reply to crimond)
Post #: 53
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 16/9/2010 2:07:57 PM   
chilipenguin

quote:

ORIGINAL: DJ Satan

I'm listening to the Johann Hari interview on radio 4 from last night. (10 minutes in: link)

Apparently they have sold about 120000 tickets for two open air speeches. Muse sold more than that for 2 nights at Wembley. I can't see the government giving them £20 mllion for it.

Best bit:

Because God works in mysterious ways?

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

New short story/portfolio blog online HERE

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 54
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 16/9/2010 2:08:12 PM   
shool

quote:

Best bit:

That actually makes me feel ill.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 55
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 16/9/2010 2:12:37 PM   
crimond

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

quote:

Best bit:

That actually makes me feel ill.

The man is a disgrace.  Yet the UK has apparently 'invited' him for a visit.

Yet Snoop Dogg was denied a visa????

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 56
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 16/9/2010 2:23:23 PM   
shool

quote:

ORIGINAL: crimond

Yet Snoop Dogg was denied a visa????

Yes but Ice-T was on all star Mr & Mrs last night so that surely redresses the balance.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to crimond)
Post #: 57
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 16/9/2010 2:37:40 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

quote:

They don't just encourage abstinence, they actually say that condoms have holes in them that encourages the spread of AIDS and should never be used at all.

Fucking hell - they are actually nuts

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 58
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 16/9/2010 2:42:06 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: JessFranco

The taxpayer is coming up with 10 million, the rest is being funded by the church. Officially, the state portion relates to the fact that it's a state visit - they'd pay for Obama or Hu or Berlusconi - so they have to pay for the Pope in his capacity as the Vatican's head of state.

Surely the problem is implicitly accepting him as a head of state which he simply is not, unless we're going to ratify all convenient agreements made by Fascists to bolster support. And, while doing so, allow them to play on it to try and get immunity from the many attempts to prosecute someone for the endemic abuse of children.

'State' is a convenient fiction agreed with fascists in the 20s. The UN should have the balls to put it bluntly rather than this silly observer status.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to JessFranco)
Post #: 59
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 16/9/2010 3:00:02 PM   
DJ Satan

It gets worse:

[Those are actual screen shots from Pioneers: Black Sabbath, aired on Channel 4 in 2000. With the mention of Alice Cooper, Black Sabbath and AC/DC as the "worst offenders", that newspaper article could date back to the mid-1970s - and probably does, Venom (first album 1981) and Iron Maiden (The Number Of The Beast is still causing sloppy hacks to call them "satanic" in 2008) being conspicuous by their absence. - nicked from a friend's LJ]

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI