Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

"A new and aggressive atheism"

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> "A new and aggressive atheism" Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
"A new and aggressive atheism" - 15/9/2010 5:18:24 PM   
DancingClown

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11317441

He makes it sound like we're in the grip of some secular crime-spree. Anyone here actually welcoming the Pope's visit? I ain't.

< Message edited by DancingClown -- 15/9/2010 5:19:27 PM >

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."
Post #: 1
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 15/9/2010 5:26:51 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Christ, he's heavily exaggerating. He makes it sound as if we're all fending for ourselves out of bins or something.

I was thinking about seeing His Holiness at Bellahouston Park but I think I'll wait till the next one because Benedict XVI isn't exactly popular. Plus the weather is gonna be terrible, and I'm not paying 20 to see the head of my Church.

Apparently paying is now worthless as there will be no buses. My local priest said to take public transport, meaning by car or train.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 2
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 15/9/2010 5:28:49 PM   
elab49

I doubt many workers in Glasgow are welcoming this religious visit - they are actually closing off part of a motorway and slip roads for parking. Trains are being cancelled to allow more stock and line time for shuttles for the 'faithfil'. Travel tomorrow will be an absolute nightmare and a lot of people are taking leave - they aren't being given the day off and few people I know are getting a get-out clause of working at home.

I don't think we can be a 3rd world country though. Those are where their particular brand of superstition makes the most inroads these days, not the least. 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 3
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 15/9/2010 5:35:23 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

At a time when we're trying to save money why are we wasting it on security for these corrupt holocaust denying bunch of paedos 

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 15/9/2010 5:40:20 PM   
Deviation

Has anyone put Pedobear on a billboard featuring the Pope yet?

If not, live with the knowledge that a bunch of Maltese people were more awesome than you Scottish people.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 15/9/2010 5:46:06 PM   
superdan

Third world country? Perhaps His Holiness should send Cardinal Kaspar to the Congo, or Zimbabwe, or the Niger, or Sierra Leone for a few years. Maybe there, while facing genuine poverty, disease and famine he will learn some perspective and perhaps make fewer crass and insulting comments. Arsehole.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 6
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 15/9/2010 5:56:03 PM   
elab49

Do you think the Vatican might not have considered their 'explanation' actually sounds worse? Suggesting he'd think it was a Third World Country because of the 'multicultural society'. Is there any way to read that other than thinking you've come across the latest BNP press release?!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 7
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 15/9/2010 6:09:56 PM   
Deviation

I was given the impression that the Vatican dismissed his comments as a result of gout. 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 8
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 15/9/2010 6:15:49 PM   
JessFranco

I honestly hope that the visit and the controversy doesn't provide a platform for the kind of kneejerk anti-Catholicism that has plagued this country for hundreds of years...but this could hardly be more of a PR fail.

"Oh he didn't mean that your infrastructure is bad....he was just being a bit racist.".

Even the French know better than to fuck with me

http://closer-to-perfection.tumblr.com/

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 9
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 15/9/2010 6:16:04 PM   
elab49

I mean the comment quoted in the news article at the top and attributed to the Vatican.

quote:

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 10
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 15/9/2010 6:20:59 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

Christ, he's heavily exaggerating

Punnery?

I can't really blame him for the Heathrow comment to be honest. I mean, have you seen the kind of people that wait at those coach stands!?

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 11
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 15/9/2010 6:27:49 PM   
elab49

And what 'kind' of people would that be?

quote:

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 12
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 15/9/2010 6:30:03 PM   
Rinc

quote:

Do you think the Vatican might not have considered their 'explanation' actually sounds worse? Suggesting he'd think it was a Third World Country because of the 'multicultural society'. Is there any way to read that other than thinking you've come across the latest BNP press release?!

I had to re-read that bit because I wasn't sure they were actually saying that. They were though, and it's even worse than what he said.

As for the new and aggressive athiesm, it's hardly as aggressive as the Catholic church has been in the past is it?!

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 13
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 15/9/2010 6:32:42 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

And what 'kind' of people would that be?

It was a joke, I was trying to lighten the atmosphere.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 14
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 15/9/2010 6:34:58 PM   
Goodfella

But I won't leave without posting a serious opinion. For someone from the Vatican to describe the UK as "third-world" when they don't allow female priests for example sounds rather hypocritical to me.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 15
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 15/9/2010 7:10:47 PM   
demoncleaner

Is it just me or are we seeing more attempts at the religious establishment to get it on that "glib and sardonic" dollar that we secularists have been doing for years?  They take the operative word and ivert it, so its kind of like the equivalent of saying "I know you are but what am I?".  Or as sophisticated as "Takes one to know one".

For instance, "Hey Mr.  Dawkins, aren't you just as evangelical about atheism?"  To which the answer must be "No.  You obviously don't understand what the word "evangelical" means".

So in this situation we have the Catholic Church presumably aware the rest of the world thinks they have an undeveloped mindset and are living in the dark ages.  How do they rebrand themselves?  "See secularist societies?  They're like a third world country".  No, you see, you can't just take what we say about you and turn it around without applying a context that would make that accusation seem in any way apt.  What next? "Politicians are all paedophiles". "Why do you say that?"  "I don't know.  Someone said it about us and I thought that's the way it works".  I know they're new to it and all but there should be a nightschool teaching the religious how to take the piss.   

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 16
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 15/9/2010 7:21:18 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

Third world country? Perhaps His Holiness should send Cardinal Kaspar to the Congo-

STOP!

Way down deep in the middle of the Congo,
A hippo took an apricot, a guava and a mango.
He stuck it with the others, and he danced a dainty tango.
The rhino said, "I know, we'll call it Um Bongo"
Um Bongo, Um Bongo, They drink it in the Congo.
The python picked the passion fruit, the marmoset the mandarin.
The parrot painted packets, that the whole caboodle landed in.
So when it comes to sun and fun and goodness in the jungle,
They all prefer the sunny funny one they call Um Bongo!

Carry on...

But yeah, Cardinal Kasper can go to hell...

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 17
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 15/9/2010 7:40:32 PM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

I doubt many workers in Glasgow are welcoming this religious visit - they are actually closing off part of a motorway and slip roads for parking. Trains are being cancelled to allow more stock and line time for shuttles for the 'faithfil'. Travel tomorrow will be an absolute nightmare and a lot of people are taking leave - they aren't being given the day off and few people I know are getting a get-out clause of working at home.

I don't think we can be a 3rd world country though. Those are where their particular brand of superstition makes the most inroads these days, not the least. 

It's going to be just as bad in Edinburgh. Pretty much the whole city's being shut down. I'm looking at having to leave at 8 to get into work for 10 and that's for a journey that should take about 40 mins.Total fucking nonsense.

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 18
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 15/9/2010 8:45:56 PM   
Felix

quote:

ORIGINAL: JessFranco

I honestly hope that the visit and the controversy doesn't provide a platform for the kind of kneejerk anti-Catholicism that has plagued this country for hundreds of years...but this could hardly be more of a PR fail.

Kneejerk anti-Catholicism? I think recent events have given people pretty damn good reasons for not liking the Catholic church...

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to JessFranco)
Post #: 19
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 15/9/2010 8:48:34 PM   
Funkyrae

quote:

This made me choke on my wine tonight. There's absolutely no excuse for this at all. We're put into the bracket of being a 'Third World Country' because we have a multi-cultural society? It's no wonder the Catholic Church can't figure out why they're not exactly the most popular thing in the world with young people today, they're so out of touch. Not that that's anything new, but it's not exactly too difficult to transfer Cardinal Kasper into either Alf Garnett or Nick Griffin.

That's me that is!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 20
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 15/9/2010 9:59:45 PM   
JessFranco

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felix

quote:

ORIGINAL: JessFranco

Kneejerk anti-Catholicism? I think recent events have given people pretty damn good reasons for not liking the Catholic church...

Absolutely, as long as it remains about the  failings of the institution and doesn't transfer across to Catholics in general.

Even the French know better than to fuck with me

http://closer-to-perfection.tumblr.com/

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 21
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 15/9/2010 11:40:40 PM   
ilovebeerme

Oh how frightful, look at all the godless blacks and browns, this is positively third world. My gout is like the agony of a thousand suns, I need my feet rubbed and a nubile boy to toss larks livers into my mouth.....followed by his....oh look a sparrow.

"Everyone who knows England knows that there is also a great Christian tradition there."

That's ok then. As long as not everybody in England is a godless, hell bound wretch.

Nah, seriously though, these guys are all right. Drinks on me.

Like food and wine? Come join the conversation at http://kitchendecanted.com/

Latest post - Chicken with Thai basil and chili

(in reply to JessFranco)
Post #: 22
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 16/9/2010 3:00:12 AM   
chilipenguin

And now for something completely different.

But seriously, I have no issue for a paedophile protecting ex Nazi coming to the UK on his jollies. I have no issue with the thousands of idiots who seem to see past these 'issues'. What I have a problem with is the fact that we, the taxpayers, have to stump up for the supposed honour. If you are that desperate to see Pope Hitler Youth, please fuck off to Rome.

That is all...

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

New short story/portfolio blog online HERE

Post #: 23
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 16/9/2010 3:13:36 AM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

this is brilliant I never even thought about how people with darker skin make us look more '3rd world', food for thought there from the people who brought us not using condoms.

A friend of mine is going to be helping out with St Jon's Ambulance and these sort of visits are apparently a nightmare for all sorts of dying people to try and get close to his holiness to get a cure. Apparently lots of them end up dying.

he's ruining my buestiful threat!

"She must have known about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywhere near her?"
horribleives

(in reply to chilipenguin)
Post #: 24
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 16/9/2010 3:41:40 AM   
swordsandsandals

Being in Edinburgh, and within walking distance of where the pope will be I've decided that I... can't be arsed. He's just a guy.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to Kilo_T_Mortal)
Post #: 25
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 16/9/2010 8:24:50 AM   
Beno

Compared to the lap of luxury The Pope and his entourage live in we must seem like a third world country. Im an Atheist and always will be but the Catholic Church winds me up and annoys me more than most religions. Those guys over in Rome are sitting on Billions that just .... well .... sits there! They scrape a little bit off the top once in a while to go on a Circus tour like the one they are starting today, but of course we invited them so we have to pay for the bulk of the visit even though we are cutting back left right and centre.
I dare'nt even start talking about the controversy surrounding all the abuse thats gone on for many years. I have read so many accounts and stories over the years that it makes me sick to my stomach. The Catholic Church is incredibly selfish. The hidden wealth they have could significantly help to rid parts of the World of poverty and hunger which is what you'd think a religious group would want to do with it ..... but no ..... its needed to pay for pointless spectacles of pomp and ceremony.
The Catholic Church are nothing short of a bunch of uber criminals and the worst part of it is i dont think many of them even realise it.

< Message edited by Beno -- 16/9/2010 10:16:39 AM >

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 26
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 16/9/2010 9:33:38 AM   
sharkboy

I'll take a new and aggressive atheism over the old and aggressive spiritualism any day thanks.  'Cause when those guys did aggressive, they didn't fuck about!

quote:

A friend of mine is going to be helping out with St Jon's Ambulance and these sort of visits are apparently a nightmare for all sorts of dying people to try and get close to his holiness to get a cure. Apparently lots of them end up dying.

Oh the irony - kinda like going to Lourdes only to drown in the grotto

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 27
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 16/9/2010 11:22:08 AM   
LEEJGM

I can't understand why the Pope is visiting England and Scotland and not Ireland - a predominantly Catholic country which is an hour's flight away....

Anyway, doesn't he look like Emperor Palapatine?  Only more evil of course.  To me, he's as welcome as a fart in a space suit.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 28
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 16/9/2010 11:46:25 AM   
swordsandsandals

Part of me feels I should be out there, on the streets. Mainly in case a riot happens, just so I can say I was there.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to LEEJGM)
Post #: 29
RE: "A new and aggressive atheism" - 16/9/2010 12:08:38 PM   
paul.mccluskey

quote:

ORIGINAL: swordsandsandals

Part of me feels I should be out there, on the streets. Mainly in case a riot happens, just so I can say I was there.

I can just imagine the t-shirt...

What sucks is you need a ticket to see him when he performs the open air Masses in Glasgow and Birmingham!

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> "A new and aggressive atheism" Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI